Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,637 members, 7,941,476 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 07:52 AM

Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? (30772 Views)

Why Do Nigerians See Relocating Back To The Village As Failure / Different Kinds Of Nigerian/African Fathers And Their Characters (Meme) / Kabiru Ishaq Sa'id Celebrates His 3 Wives, Gives Them Pet Names (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by membranus: 3:14pm On Dec 01, 2023
CaptainFM1:
So you prefer Ajanlekoko?

Yap. Better than Johnbull and Bullock.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by dannyspeejay(m): 3:26pm On Dec 01, 2023
talk anuda thing make i plaster

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by yewit37486: 3:42pm On Dec 01, 2023
adecz:

Part of colonial hangover and inferiority
complex, common amongst south south
people and some northern Christian people.

We have never heard oyibo bearing negro
names, but black man family will even
take oyibo name as surname or family name.
Such people with oyibo family name are
possibly descendants of slaves
.❎❌❎

Compound such oyibo names with black
manufactured religious themed names like

👉Blessing
👉Miracle
👉Anointed
👉Godspower
👉Genesis
👉Lovelyn
👉Chosen
👉King
👉Savior
👉Princess

And many more.

These are English names which oyibo
sef nor dey use, but black man think say
na him sabi the Bible God pass the oyibo
wey bring the Bible📖

It equally occurs in the West. Lagos family names below are just a sample:
Glover, Bucknor, Vivour, St Matthew Daniels, Lewis, Savage, Randle.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Nonywendy(m): 3:43pm On Dec 01, 2023
eepeepook:
Name: Mark Surname: John.

Name: Tony Middle name: Excel Surname: Livingston.

Name: Jennifer Surname: Confidence.

Seriously, where are they from? I remember we give names from our dialects. Some people have English names but only as first names or preferred ones. Their ‘native names’ dominate all of their official documents. In the given examples, those English names and surnames are their official ones.
Akwaibom people over to you
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by modernWays: 3:43pm On Dec 01, 2023
Procashtips:

Have you seen any bearing your African names?

How successful are people in South America, India and the likes you mentioned?

Those bearing the names above have links to these continents (mixed parenthood)

Seen any without DNA affiliation bearing these names except for Nigerians worshipping foreign names?

Rewriting your whatever history starts from embracing your identity.

Who are you if you are asked?

Are you what the colonizers tagged you or you're what your forefathers called you?

I've answered your questions in my last post, you are the one that don't understand.

I will repeat, sometimes people chose or borrow names, not because of their identity or origins but for the value attach to it. There are many reasons people do that, the question of their identity or origins means nothing to them but value that will be gain in chosen them.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by yewit37486: 3:45pm On Dec 01, 2023
Spiff20:
One English Name and One native strikes a balance. If I bear Andrew Chike, I can easily roll with my first name. Who doesn't know Andrew. But bearing two English names dissolves your identity into a pool of inferiority complex and lapdog mentality. You are from Africa and not from the West. For Pete's sake a man from Kenya ruled them with his native name.

Tell them! 👌
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Welcomme: 3:47pm On Dec 01, 2023
cyrusmillz:
It's simply Neocoonialism. The African minds have been conquered. Not only the did the whiteman plunder his resources , he stole his identity too.
The whiteman gave the black man new names , new gods told him the one he worships is fake , tod him the language he speaks is vernacular and even the clothes he wears are not it at all. So now the black man dresses like the whiteman , speaks his language as the official language , calls on the white man's gods , names himself after him and even yearn to be like him.

This is why you see the mordern gen z parent naming their Nigerian Kids silly names like Brian, Tiffany and stupid names. The north are even the worst ,you don't even know if they have an identity or their own original names .... the desperately want to be Arabs so bad that the first name and ast names are Arabian names.

Who will rescue the conquered black mind
Some northerner see it as an aberration or sin to name your side a traditional northern name. Even Some Yorubas Muslims in the north don't bear their their traditional name and the younger Yoruba Muslims in the North have stopped giving their children traditional names.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Welcomme: 3:55pm On Dec 01, 2023
Hakeem66:
Those names are their native names but they changed the meaning to English. I got more annoyed seeing those ones, is it not inferiority complex of being a black person. Something needs to be done by the parents as regards this issue.
Pot calling kettle black. Is Hakeem a Nigerian traditional name?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by herald9: 4:02pm On Dec 01, 2023
Saw this post and I recalled an incident when I was teaching Computer science in Kogi state during my NYSC placement.

Told the class rep to write names of noise makers. He did and handed the list to me afterwards.

As I was reeling out the names for punishment, I stumbled upon a certain all-English names and I impulsively knew he was from the south, and specifically Akwa Ibom.

"Are you from Akwa Ibom?" I queried when he shuffled forward to receive his punishment.

"Yes." He responded.

I shook my head.

Akwa Ibom people are notorious for onomastic anglicization (😂). I could have been a victim save that my grandpa was highly learned and he usually rebelled against the assimilation of some western practices. Guess I got some of my rebellious attitude from him.

But I'm glad he did. Today, I'm most happy to flash my indigenous surname like a privilege badge, and will ensure I carry my people's culture forward - starting from the name.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by nathpope(m): 4:18pm On Dec 01, 2023
eepeepook:

Seriously, where are they from? I remember we give names from our dialects. Some people have English names but only as first names or preferred ones. Their ‘native names’ dominate all of their official documents. In the given examples, those English names and surnames are their official ones.

Fela said it all.. "Colo mentality"

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by codemaniacs: 4:22pm On Dec 01, 2023
Acidosis:
You want them to bear Ayo, Chinedu, and Adamu so you can use tribalism to finish their destiny?

If I have my way, I will avoid all native names from Nigeria's major tribes (Yoruba, Igbo, and Hausa).

A Mark John is more likely to get a University admission from any Southwestern University than a Chinedu. A Jenifer Confidence is also more likely to get a job in Igboland than a Nurudeen Ayoola.

Y'all pathetic decendants of racists and losers will preach one thing and do another.

angelfrost is right "you shamefully and cowardly despise your true identity out of fear of your own fellow citizens??!"

Why should Ayoola be more likely to get a job in Igboland than Chinedu, the only way that happens is if the owner of the company
in igboland is Yoruba..

It is not the fault of Yorubas and Igbos that they have more successful people who own companies than your own people.

In case you have not taken notice. Business Owners all over the world mainly hire people from their tribe or people they share the same ethnicity with.. so Ayoola will always get job ahead of Chinedu as long as the company is owned by a Yoruba person or the government agency is in the SW.

some years ago I was going through in:st:a:gr:am pics of companies and I noticed most of the employees were whyte and if there was a person or people with melanin skin then that person would be an Indian not African American or even African.

so I came to a very important conclusion that changed my perspective and that is "the more companies people of certain ethnicities own the more successful people that ethnicity will have." because most of the employees will have the same ethnicity as the owner because its a way of empowering your own people.

it is only in Africa and among black people that tribes with small populations are under-developed while outside Africa the european tribes with small populations are living comfortable and developed life.

Stop complaining.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Acidosis(m): 4:30pm On Dec 01, 2023
codemaniacs:

angelfrost is right "you shamefully and cowardly despise your true identity out of fear of your own fellow citizens??!"

Why should Ayoola be more likely to get a job in Igboland than Chinedu, the only way that happens is if the owner of the company
in igboland is Yoruba..

It is not the fault of Yorubas and Igbos that they have more successful people who own companies than your own people.

In case you have not taken notice. Business Owners all over the world mainly hire people from their tribe or people they share the same ethnicity with.. so Ayoola will always get job ahead of Chinedu as long as the company is owned by a Yoruba person or the government agency is in the SW.

some years ago I was going through in:st:a:gr:am pics of companies and I noticed most of the employees were whyte and if there was a person or people with melanin skin then that person would be an Indian not African American or even African.

so I came to a very important conclusion that changed my perspective and that is "the more companies people of certain ethnicities own the more successful people that ethnicity will have." because most of the employees will have the same ethnicity as the owner because its a way of empowering your own people.

it is only in Africa and among black people that tribes with small populations are under-developed while outside Africa the european tribes with small populations are living comfortable and developed life.

Stop complaining.

You are already running tribal as usual. Who told you I'm not from one of the major tribes I described? Who are my "own people?" Set awon radical racists.

I'm not complaining o. I'm only beating mentally d.eranged ronu bandits at their own game.

My name is Jonathan Goodluck. Oya do your worst and insult my tribe using your imagination. cheesy I love it when I leave ronu bandits cracking their coconut heads, trying to figure my tribe. grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by adecz: 4:46pm On Dec 01, 2023
yewit37486:

It equally occurs in the West. Lagos family names below are just a sample:
Glover, Bucknor, Vivour, St Matthew Daniels, Lewis, Savage, Randle.

As I said, those Lagos family names
indicate slave lineage.

Some of their ancestors were taken into
slavery either in Brazil or the Caribbean and
lost their original native names & later
came back to their roots with their new
names after slave trade was abolished.
Having been raised in better civilization
& also educated, they came back as elitist
blacks and built new reputations .

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by codemaniacs: 4:49pm On Dec 01, 2023
Acidosis:

You are already running tribal as usual. Who told you I'm not from one of the major tribes I described? Who are my "own people?" Set awon radical racists.

I'm not complaining o. I'm only beating mentally d.eranged ronu bandits at their own game.

My name is Jonathan Goodluck. Oya do your worst and insult my tribe using your imagination. cheesy I love it when I leave ronu bandits cracking their coconut heads, trying to figure my tribe. grin

You are one of those paid online keyboard warriors that are paid to hypnotize and deceive Yoruba people into been neutral and anti-yoruba and have hatred for their fellow yorubas..

the more you try then the more Yorubas will become pro-Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by oakenfold: 4:57pm On Dec 01, 2023
Acidosis:
You want them to bear Ayo, Chinedu, and Adamu so you can use tribalism to finish their destiny?

If I have my way, I will avoid all native names from Nigeria's major tribes (Yoruba, Igbo, and Hausa).

A Mark John is more likely to get a University admission from any Southwestern University than a Chinedu. A Jenifer Confidence is also more likely to get a job in Igboland than a Nurudeen Ayoola.

Y'all pathetic decendants of racists and losers will preach one thing and do another.

This sounds like a good idea until you figure out that Nigerians, being so tribalistic, will automatically assume you are South-South and proceed to discriminate against you anyway.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by codemaniacs: 4:58pm On Dec 01, 2023
adecz:

As I said, those Lagos family names
indicate slave lineage.

Some of their ancestors were taken into
slavery either in Brazil or the Caribbean and
lost their original native names & later
came back to their roots with their new
names after slave trade was abolished.
Having been raised in better civilization
& also educated, they came back as elitist
blacks and built new reputations .

what you should tell yewit37486 is that their ancestors were black people from south America who the british wanted to use to replace indigenous Yoruba people.

so when their ancestors arrived in Lagos island were the british were based they were given Yoruba first names and the most prestigious and good jobs and were made elitist by the british to deceive Yorubas into subjugation but Yorubas didn't fall for them.

same way they claim and lied that Ajayi Crowther is a returned slave..
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by NoToPile: 5:12pm On Dec 01, 2023
I can't relate with the English names given to children as first names.

Very common in south east and south south, Yoruba people are trying to join the frenzy of English first names, be hearing Janelle, joane. Kilode!!

My children have Yoruba first names, full Yoruba names.

For some wierd reason people always think I am Ibo, I am not even yellow/very fair in complextion They will just be speaking Ibo to me without asking, I will just laugh.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by xaco(m): 5:14pm On Dec 01, 2023
We have been mentally colonised.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by liasmiram2567: 5:15pm On Dec 01, 2023
eepeepook:

Southern Kaduna people. I served in a school in Kachia, Kaduna state. We have student bearing Sunday Daniel, Naomi James etc

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by yewit37486: 5:17pm On Dec 01, 2023
codemaniacs:

what you should tell yewit37486 is that their ancestors were black people from south America who the british wanted to use to replace indigenous Yoruba people.

so when their ancestors arrived in Lagos island were the british were based they were given Yoruba first names and the most prestigious and good jobs and were made elitist by the british to deceive Yorubas into subjugation but Yorubas didn't fall for them.

My point to adecz is that the issue was common across Nigeria and not specific to south south as he initially stated. Every one knows the colonial history of the nation.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by adecz: 5:18pm On Dec 01, 2023
codemaniacs:

The British didn't have any significant
colony in South America apart from a
few insignificant island Holdings.

The major colonial powers in the region
were the Portuguese and Spaniards, so
your postulation is mere a work of fiction.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by yewit37486: 5:20pm On Dec 01, 2023
adecz:

Colonisation is colonisation whether British or Portugeuse. Eod.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by codemaniacs: 5:26pm On Dec 01, 2023
adecz:

the U:S:A used to be a british colony so you're wrong, the major colonial power in that was the british.. Spain and Portugal were only there because they were the sponsors of Colombus journey to the American continent.

or are you saying the U:S:A is an insignificant island holding
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by codemaniacs: 5:31pm On Dec 01, 2023
yewit37486:

My point to adecz is that the issue was common across Nigeria and not specific to south south as he initially stated. Every one knows the colonial history of our nation.

It is specific to the South South, North and some South East states.

at least the SW knows people with english, portuguese surnames are descendants of slaves from brazil..

while the SS, SE and North no one forced them to use ch:ristian, a:rabic and english names that are or sound abusive..

Names like boniface, horsefall are bad names..

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Obviouslyblunt: 5:35pm On Dec 01, 2023
eepeepook:
…or they bring about a curiosity for one’s culture, geographical region and customs.
not in Nigeria or Africa it doesn’t.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by cyrusmillz: 5:59pm On Dec 01, 2023
Welcomme:
Some northern see it as a aberration or sin to name your side a traditional northern name. Even Some Yorubas Muslims in the north don't bear their their traditional name and the younger Yoruba Muslims in the North have stopped giving their children traditional names.

You're very correct bro. It's so sad
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by damoobaba: 6:12pm On Dec 01, 2023
Acidosis:

Inferiority complex is worrying you. If somebody insult you, you insult your own back. Insult does not remove one hair from anybody's skin.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by HellVictorinho6(m): 6:39pm On Dec 01, 2023
if u cant determine my ethnicity, should i kill myself!

am Hell Victorinho!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Chochovini: 6:48pm On Dec 01, 2023
eepeepook:
Yes. At least one will know their origin.
. Imagine, David Mark.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by ibietela2(m): 7:05pm On Dec 01, 2023
Acidosis:

slave will always make up excuse as why he must remain a slave

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by adecz: 7:21pm On Dec 01, 2023
[quote author=codemaniacs post=127264526]

👉👉👉their ancestors were black people from south America who the british wanted to use to replace indigenous Yoruba people.👈👈👈

Your initial comment was that the British
wanted to settle blacks from South America
which is what I said was wrong history.

You didn't mention North America, so
don't jump there now.

The blacks the British settled in Africa ( After
the American war of independence in the
1770s) were settled in Africa, in what became
Liberia ( notice the meaning of the name, gotten from 👉'Liberation' ).

Those blacks fought on the side of
Britain and lost out when Britain lost
the war, leading to American Independence
& the blacks became marked, and could
no longer live in America.

Try to understand history before making
points on SM.
we're from North
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Acidosis(m): 7:22pm On Dec 01, 2023
ibietela2:

slave will always make up excuse as why he must remain a slave

Oya type this exact statement in your dialect without using your slavemaster's Google translator cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Man Demands His Bride Price After He Found Out His Wife Is Not A Virgin, / Getting Pregnant Before Marriage / Should A Woman Help Her Fiancé To Pay Her Bride Price?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.