Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,951 members, 7,969,916 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 04:35 PM

Has American English Taken Over From British English? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Has American English Taken Over From British English? (5175 Views)

When You Finish A Test That The Other Classes Haven't Taken Yet (photo) / Exam Cheating Taken To Another Level / Top Hilarious Differences Between Nigeria English And American English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by coogar: 4:48pm On Oct 31, 2011
afam4eva:

There's been a gradual and steady shift from the conventional English which is Britich by Origin to the modern American English. I think it's getting it's toll on me cos i now spell "Color" instead of "Colour".

Do you guys think American English is taking over?

american english reigns in america and the neighbouring countries - not in europe.
if you spell colour as "color", you are bound to fail. . . .
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by manny4life(m): 5:59pm On Oct 31, 2011
coogar:

american english reigns in america and the neighbouring countries - not in europe.

I know right, @Paniki is right, I couldn't agree more with him. I do think American English is restricted to the neighboring North America and that's it. Nigerians don't speak American English; no Nigerian will say pants when it's meant trouser,
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by coogar: 6:05pm On Oct 31, 2011
manny4life:

I know right, @Paniki is right, I couldn't agree more with him. I do think American English is restricted to the neighboring North America and that's it. Nigerians don't speak American English; no Nigerian will say pants when it's meant trouser,

i can imagine saying that to someone's wife in nigeria. grin cheesy

"i really like the pants you are wearing"
be rest assured her husband would loan you hot slaps. cheesy
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by Afam4eva(m): 6:55pm On Oct 31, 2011
coogar:

There's a deviation from standard English to American english the world over. Though it's still not used in Academics.
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by coogar: 7:08pm On Oct 31, 2011
afam4eva:

There's a deviation from standard English to American english the world over. Though it's still not used in Academics.

biko, show me one example!
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by freshcvv(m): 7:12pm On Oct 31, 2011
try this in public here in Nigeria, tell someone that his pants is failing and lets see what the reaction'll look like. grin
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by Afam4eva(m): 7:14pm On Oct 31, 2011
freshcvv:

try this in public here in Nigeria, tell someone that his pants is failing and lets see what the reaction'll look like. grin

We're still no there yet. But you can't deny that we're getting there.
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by coogar: 7:21pm On Oct 31, 2011
afam4eva:

we are not there at all.

cancel your dstv subscription and stop watching american channels.
stop using american/north american devices like apple and blackberry too and you would see that american english reigns supreme in north american and the neighbouring countries. once you leave there, better don't write like that elsewhere. people might spare your american accent when you speak - they won't spare you when you write "neighbour" as neighbor!
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by omobadan(m): 7:25pm On Oct 31, 2011
Naija too don dey do American culture since time immemorial. We've always been using American phrases mostly among the youths. But I can't necessary say if we have a takeover. We still write in the British way.
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by Afam4eva(m): 7:25pm On Oct 31, 2011
coogar:

we are not there at all.

cancel your dstv subscription and stop watching american channels.
stop using american/north american devices like apple and blackberry too and you would see that american english reigns supreme in north american and the neighbouring countries. once you leave there, better don't write like that elsewhere. people might spare your american accent when you speak - they won't spare you when you write "neighbour" as neighbor!

Did you notice how the spell checker underlined neighbour but not neighbor? That's a proof.
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by coogar: 7:27pm On Oct 31, 2011
afam4eva:

Did you notice how the spell checker underlined neighbour but not neighbor? That's a proof.

maybe the problem is your own spell checker. mine underlined neighbor.

check the settings of your phone or your settings on your profile page.
you must have set it to american yinglish!
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by freshcvv(m): 7:28pm On Oct 31, 2011
afam4eva:

Getting where?
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Oct 31, 2011
It certainly has in nigeria, but mostly with speaking. Only fairly lazy/rather unschooled people use american english in this country, since they get their education from american cable news and hollywood. In the general, though, a lot of nigerians just mix both.
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by Malila: 10:29pm On Oct 31, 2011
I still prefer "proper" English

Neighbour, NOT neighbor
Colour, NOT color
Advice (noun), NOT advise (noun) (if the later is used as a verb fine)
Cheque, NOT check

, etc
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by deelobe: 5:57am On Nov 01, 2011
I am an English graduate and a lecturer and my observation is that there is confusion these days in differentiating the American English from the Standard British English so while going through papers and projects you observe the use of words like gotten which is American. It is actually an evolution and the British themselves are affected by this change.

To be honest with you, the average American English is terrible
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by Jarus(m): 10:20am On Nov 01, 2011
American English is funkier than British English.
When I write officially, I use British English, otherwise I mix.

But they've become so mixed in Nigeria that you may not even know which ones are American and which are British except you consciously study/know them.

In academic circle in Nigeria, 'color', 'neighbor' and others are still 'marked' wrong.
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by Afam4eva(m): 4:57pm On Nov 01, 2011
Jarus:

American English is funkier than British English.
When I write officially, I use British English, otherwise I mix.

But they've become so mixed in Nigeria that you may not even know which ones are American and which are British except you consciously study/know them.

In academic circle in Nigeria, 'color', 'neighbor' and others are still 'marked' wrong.

Well said.
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by Oduleke: 7:54pm On Nov 01, 2011
American English?ain't,gonna,wana e.t.c, it's incomparable with British English(d source of English Language)how many of these comments were written in so-called American whatever, pigin English is the Lang. i knw spreading across NIGERIA by the youth
'kojo rara'

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 10 Best Polytechnics In Nigeria 2018 And Their Top Courses / Bayero University Kano. Admission List Is Out / Meanwhile, Back In Osun State This Is How OAU Students Sometimes Get Water.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.