Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,465 members, 7,904,725 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 06:18 PM

Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria (11201 Views)

9 Reasons Why Nigerian Universities Are Better Than Polytechnics / 11 Nigerian Universities Are Substandard – NUC / Most Nigerian Students In Ghanaian Universities Are Serial JAMB Failures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:45pm On Oct 31, 2011
Am sure it's the poor that would complain more, undecided
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by MissEZ(f): 1:06pm On Oct 31, 2011
I think its funny how some people are quick to run down private universities. I agree it is expensive, but at the end of the day, you come out with a good degree. I attended babcock university in 2001 and i can say for a fact that even though i hated the social life aspect of the school, i got a good degree. Not only have i been able to get a masters abroad after that, i am also getting a Ph.D at the moment in one of the top tier Universities in the US.

Complain about the price if you will, but do not state categorically that all of them are sub par cos that is simply not true. there are a few bad ones, agreed, but some are doing good. Oh and by the way, not everyone who goes there comes from a rich family. I am not from one, i worked hard and graduated with a 2.1, and also got a full scholarship for my studies abroad. But in order to make it, you have to pay a certain price. If your priority is clubbing and partying at the expense of your studies, then do not complain if you have a shitty grade at the end of your school year. Balance is key
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by ugosly(m): 1:10pm On Oct 31, 2011
Meldrick:

Nobody is forcing you to attend the University, neither is any one forcing you to pay tithe or offering. Rather than complaining, ranting and barking why not attend the public schools and keep your offering (that is if you have ever paid an offering).
my broda no mind bad belle dem,even though this matter is not about Tithes. I wish 2 let the disgruntled few know dat Paying tithe is not by force,it is a willful act of worship to God,having said that,I simply laugh when angry and inopportuned folks rant about private univs.some even try to justify their 3rd class and pass grades in comparison to the 1st and 2nd class of private univs.
My advice is just the same as som 1 has advised earlier,get a life make enuf doe and c dat ur own kids get 2 enjoy wat u didnt.
oto n!
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:12pm On Oct 31, 2011
Its amazing how Nigerians can defend the ridiculously high tuition fees of church set-up universities. No wonder Nigerians are so religious and yet so corrupt at the same time. People have lost their sense of moral values. Its simple common sense to expect that a church set-up school should be an example to the society of how schools should be run, but what we have is a shame. The only thing they have achieved is to provide opportunity for rich children to get a 1st class degree. While i admit the failure of public schools due to same corruption, the church has no excuse.

Same thing goes for jet buying pastors in a third world country where poverty is norm, its simply wrong. It goes against the fundamentals of Christianity. But i guess Nigerians wont see it that way. None must speak evil of a 'man of god'. Rubbish

Its funny that in this same country, many decades back, church set-up schools (secondary) were the very best available. They were affordable, mostly free, and provided quality education. Some of these pastors got their education there, only to now run most expensive, low quality schools.

People, the fact that your dad sent you to an expensive church school does not mean you should sell your conscience.
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by ImaIma1(f): 1:12pm On Oct 31, 2011
@ WESLEY80 dnt be deceived.not all schools sort, i went 2 UI and all thru my 4yrs i neva paid a lecturer or  bought handout and i hd 2 attend 75% lectures to write exams.

why do u think UI is d top on the list of unis even far above d private unis.

that said. its not by force to go 2 d xtian unis besides they r private universities.

private unis r for those tht cn afford them.i wont even send my kids to those schools cos i wld want them to be independent and learn to make their decisions and be responsible for their actions.
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by pascalito: 1:16pm On Oct 31, 2011
that should not be your problem is a matter of choice either you take or note
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:18pm On Oct 31, 2011
emmatok:

Non of the university can compete with most FEDERAL UNIVERSITIES, like OAU, UNILAG , UNN,e.t.c

I heard some of these  Church Universities don't even have professors.

Because these  professors prefare federal universities, due to better working environment.

At over $4,000, Bowen charges fees that are comparable to what obtains in a number of EU countries, yet ranks a lowly 8129th according to '4International Colleges & Universities'. Even the list produced by Nigeria's Universities commission puts this particular institution at 27 out of a possible 78 (I think) in Nigeria.
For me, this is where the issue of value for money begins and ends.

4International Colleges & Universities -- http://www.4icu.org/
Bowen Universty ranked 8129th - http://www.4icu.org/reviews/10777.htm

Admittedly most of our older universities do not fare much better on the global stage either, if you look at league tables provided by organisations concerned with ranking. And this is why I consider the CBN governor's latest intervention on the subject timely.

Webometrics
http://www.webometrics.info/top100_continent.asp?cont=africa

4International Colleges & Universities
http://www.4icu.org/topAfrica/

Scimago Institutions Rankings World Report based on citation and publication.
http://www.scimagoir.com/pdf/sir_2011_world_report_africa.pdf

University Ranking By Academic Performance (developed in the Informatics Institute of Middle East Technical University in Turkey and ranked 2,000 universities according to an aggregation of six academic research performance indicators: current productivity (number of published articles), long-term productivity (from Google Scholar), research impact (citations from Institute for Scientific Information), impact (cumulative journal impact), quality (H-index), and international collaboration)
http://www.urapcenter.org/2010/country.php?ccode=NG

Academic Ranking of World Universities (compiled by the Shanghai Jiao Tong University)
http://www.arwu.org/ - could not be bothered any universities outside of Africa
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by MissEZ(f): 1:21pm On Oct 31, 2011
@ Ima Ima you make it sound like people who go to private Universities are puppets, lol,
@ Skyope, Its not about justifying the cost, its simply stating what is, if you go the US, most private Universities are equally expensive, even more than ivy leagues sef, As for the other things mentioned about pastors, that is for a whole new different thread.

Lets be objective in our criticism. I agree that since most of the Universities are church funded, members should be able to afford it. In babcock, adventist students paid alot less than we non adventist members. The also had work study for anyone who wanted to do it as a means for paying part of your fees. Some other private Universities offer some kind of scholarship for their members. I think they can do better in this regard, but that does not make them in effective education wise.
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by naylove(m): 1:27pm On Oct 31, 2011
even Jesus would weep at wetin churches dey charge. imagine Lasu students protesting over their fee increment, and barricading Governor's office. and am "sure" that the total cost of tuition in Lasu for a 4 year prog no reach wetin this people dey collect in a session. God help us.
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:31pm On Oct 31, 2011
Miss EZ:

@ Ima Ima you make it sound like people who go to private Universities are puppets, lol,
@ Skyope, Its not about justifying the cost, its simply stating what is, if you go the US, most private Universities are equally expensive, even more than ivy leagues sef, As for the other things mentioned about pastors, that is for a whole new different thread.

Lets be objective in our criticism. I agree that since most of the Universities are church funded, members should be able to afford it. In babcock, adventist students paid alot less than we non adventist members. The also had work study for anyone who wanted to do it as a means for paying part of your fees. Some other private Universities offer some kind of scholarship for their members. I think they can do better in this regard, but that does not make them in effective education wise.

If u want to compare fees, u should also compare standard of learning obtained in those private uni abroad. My guess is they are miles apart. Hence my calling it a shame.
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by SEGAD: 1:31pm On Oct 31, 2011
I discovered that people who refuse to sow seed get nothing from God. You cannot sow nothing and expect something.
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by fortunereg: 1:35pm On Oct 31, 2011
In Nigeria ? Seriously this is a reap off. Xtains should make comments objectively not seeing all issues as an attack to christainity and pastors.
I will like to now which facilities are in these universities ? somebody help me here.
I work with some of them from private universities, i can't give them a high leadership position, they are a bit too reserve, timid and summarily not well rounded. Intergrity maybe , good.
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by MissEZ(f): 1:48pm On Oct 31, 2011
@ Guerilla; i think that the rankings should not be compared because some of the Universities you are mentioning in the EU have been there for years while the oldest privat University is about 11-15 years old. I think that they can do alot in that number of years and i am not making excuses for them, but when comparing things, they should be commensurable, dont you think?

@ Skyope. the standard of living is different in the Universities the same way the standard of living is different in the countries as well. If you add the cost of living to the Universities abroad, then you are bringing a whole new issue cos the price shoots up.

I teach in a private University here in the US, its a very reputable University in this part and to be honest, for the standards obtained here, i hear students complain about their dorms life and how things dont work. I cannot confirm this as i do not live in the dorms.

Once again i agree that the price for these Private Universities are a bit much, but private tuition has always been more expensive, why are we so surprised?
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:52pm On Oct 31, 2011
Miss EZ:

@ Guerilla; i think that the rankings should not be compared because some of the Universities you are mentioning in the EU have been there for years while the oldest privat University is about 11-15 years old. I think that they can do alot in that number of years and i am not making excuses for them, but when comparing things, they should be commensurable, dont you think?

@ Skyope. the standard of living is different in the Universities the same way the standard of living is different in the countries as well. If you add the cost of living to the Universities abroad, then you are bringing a whole new issue cos the price shoots up.

I teach in a private University here in the US, its a very reputable University in this part and to be honest, for the standards obtained here, i hear students complain about their dorms life and how things dont work. I cannot confirm this as i do not live in the dorms.

Once again i agree that the price for these Private Universities are a bit much, but private tuition has always been more expensive, why are we so surprised?

Standard of learning, i mean the quality of education obtained smiley
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by marocguy(m): 1:53pm On Oct 31, 2011
caritas university, madonna university's sister university owned by same proprietor, fr. E. Edeh, is d cheapest private uni in nigeria. They are my employers too, Talkn wit experience. Started in 2005. Has around 5000 students nw. Accredited depts by NUC. lots of graduates doing M.Sc abroad nw.
Their fees range frm 190k to maximum of 250k for engineering faculty.
Not bad for the quality they give,considern d fact a lot of state unis are more expensive. D tym of graduatn too. No xtra rent n transport costs too. I wonder why he hasnt increased it yet. Wud rather send my ward here than a state uni.
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by stagger: 2:04pm On Oct 31, 2011
OP,

You need to have your head examined.

Do the church universities takes canes and start flogging parents to send their children to their schools by compulsion?

I have never gone to any private school right from when I was a kid, and my academic performance was stellar from kindergarten to university.

You do not need to go to private schools for anything.
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by ImaIma1(f): 2:09pm On Oct 31, 2011
@ MISS EZ from wht i hear from graduates of students from the private unis especially the xtians ones like covenant, babcock, etc, i dnt think i like wht i hear.but i dint infer tht dey r puppets.

they get suspended for stuff like hugging, taking a drink with two straws, disallowing mobile phones, shocked etc.these are things tht r laughable. i cant live with that and dts why i said i cnt subject my kids or family to such things when they r adults and i want them 2 grow up.an adult shld be treated like one.

well everywhere has rules.if u dnt like d rules, u look elsewhere.
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by justwise(m): 2:09pm On Oct 31, 2011
stagger:

OP,

You need to have your head examined.

Do the church universities takes canes and start flogging parents to send their children to their schools by compulsion?

I have never gone to any private school right from when I was a kid, and my academic performance was stellar from kindergarten to university.

You do not need to go to private schools for anything.

Read the title of this thread again and see if you have actually answered the question.
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by MissEZ(f): 2:12pm On Oct 31, 2011
@ Skyope, sorry i missed that, typing on the go. I can see the smug smile on your face, lol, anyways yep the standard of learning is definitely different. I guess my follow up question to that will be when was the last time the standard of learning between Nigeria and US/UK based Universities could be compared? I think that for the short time these Universities have been around, we may be demanding too much from them in terms of competing with Universities that have been around for as much as 20 -100 years. smiley
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by MissEZ(f): 2:17pm On Oct 31, 2011
@ Ima Ima, o agree with what your saying in that adults should be treated as such. But they tell you right from the get go that if you cannot abide by their rules, then dont come.

I also think that it takes a certain level of maturity to be able to exercise self restraint and play by the rules. Its only for a short period of time, and they get a good education. By the way, as far as i know Babcock never suspended people for hugging, but they did suspend people for going a lot farther, lol, The rules can be strict and annoying, but if i need to bear an unpleasant situation for a short time to get something good, i think its well worth it.

Nigerian students especially need to act more responsible and set their priorities straight while in school. But this is a whole new different gist, lol, make i no derail thread
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:35pm On Oct 31, 2011
Miss EZ:

@ Skyope, sorry i missed that, typing on the go. I can see the smug smile on your face, lol, anyways yep the standard of learning is definitely different. I guess my follow up question to that will be when was the last time the standard of learning between Nigeria and US/UK based Universities could be compared? I think that for the short time these Universities have been around, we may be demanding too much from them in terms of competing with Universities that have been around for as much as 20 -100 years. smiley

I totally disagree.

1. Employ quality lecturers and pay them with same tithes and offerings u built the school with. After all the poor folks are still cheerfully giving in churches.

2. Admit the best students only, in fact make a large % of students run on scholarship. Currently they just admit anybody that can pay the tuition and give them a funny course, after a silly entry exam.

Thats how to get high standard of learning

For the infrastructures, buildings and equipment

1. Sell the jets, fly first class, i heard jets cost a lot.

2. People are still paying tithes and offering, so spend it on the school as u did b4

3. Register the school in NSE or better, the church itself. After all it has become a financial institution. Sell IPOs

My point is, if u believe there is nothing ungodly about a church school being affordable to only the rich, then at least, make it a world class centre for learning.
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by MissEZ(f): 2:57pm On Oct 31, 2011
ok now i see what ur mad about. Specifically convenant university. I agree to a certain degree with what your saying, especially with the extravagant lifestyle of the pastors. You know i cannot speak to that issue and that is something that i think those pastors need to address by themselves. But just because that happens to be the case at a few of them, its unfair to generalize. Anywho, i still think that education wise, they are a few that are doing very well, and contrary to what some other poster said, the hardworking ones do get admitted into top tier schools here. Same way someone who works hard in a federal system will get admitted. In life you make the best of opportunities that come your way. Skyope i must say that your one of the few nairalanders that doesnt result to insult when conversing. Good for you
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by UyiIredia(m): 3:13pm On Oct 31, 2011
that's a lie the highest fee in Covenant university is in Engineering courses which is #511, 000; whilst the lowest fee is French ^400, 000. The fees include health centre treatment, book deposit, ICT training e.t.c
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by kpolli(m): 3:26pm On Oct 31, 2011
sorry for sounding harsh but majority of the students that come out of those universities are not that bright undecided
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:32pm On Oct 31, 2011
I tire for una. The op just wan find out the rational behind poor build schl wey them no fit attend unto sey the fee dey high. una come change am to which schl better pass. wonder how some of una take pass jamb self.
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:10pm On Oct 31, 2011
AjanleKoko:

This Nigeria sef.
See people complaining about private universities and what they charge. Is it by force to go there?
Abi you guys want them to make it free so every riff-raff in Nigeria can attend? Many of y'all don't even attend any of those churches, so your one naira is not part of the school's endowment. Stop complaining. You can't afford it, attend MAPOLY or wherever you fancy. Attending the church does not confer automatic free admission plus tuition on anybody. Any of you that is a church member and is not pleased about tuition, stop attending, period.

Thank you sir! Nigerians and their awoof mentality! They go to schools like Covenant University, see the outstanding facilities there and then want to go there. Problem is: they don't want to pay something worthwhile for it. They forget that the facilities are best in class because it is the funds folks pony up that is used to maintain the place. They don't want to go to public unis because the facilities are in shambles conveniently forgetting that it is so because fees they pay is not enough to sustain the place in-spite of of the 300 million naira each federal uni gets monthly from the FG.

They only look at prices charged conveniently forgetting input costs. How can private unis charge the same as public ones if the FG /states gives hundreds of millions monthly to the public ones while the private ones only depend on tuition fees? How? From tithes and offerings? How will u also fund research? from tithes and offerings?
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by hercules07: 4:19pm On Oct 31, 2011
kalokalo what is outstanding about those schools? Tell me the quality of learning in those glorified secondary schools, the runs that happen in those schools ehn, u go fear. Madonna and Caritas are poultries not even schools.
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by highland(m): 4:38pm On Oct 31, 2011
Not for poor at all.
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 4:55pm On Oct 31, 2011
kalokalo:

Thank you sir! Nigerians and their awoof mentality! They go to schools like Covenant University, see the outstanding facilities there and then want to go there. Problem is: they don't want to pay something worthwhile for it. They forget that the facilities are best in class because it is the funds folks pony up that is used to maintain the place. They don't want to go to public unis because the facilities are in shambles conveniently forgetting that it is so because fees they pay is not enough to sustain the place in-spite of of the 300 million naira each federal uni gets monthly from the FG.

They only look at prices charged conveniently forgetting input costs. How can private unis charge the same as public ones if the FG /states gives hundreds of millions monthly to the public ones while the private ones only depend on tuition fees? How? From tithes and offerings? How will u also fund research? from tithes and offerings?

Actually, it's more of village mentality.
The same Nigerians who will not pay $4k for a private college, albeit university-owned, will happily pay GBP20k for a British uni. And all this crying about tithes and church money. Do people go to church in Nigeria expecting to have their bills paid? I don't get it.

If we even look at it really, the law of averages presents a question: If we have so many poor people in Nigeria attending church, how are the churches able to afford private jets? How much can these 'poor' people give as tithes? I've always been curious.
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by ugosly(m): 4:59pm On Oct 31, 2011
skyope:

I totally disagree.

1. Employ quality lecturers and pay them with same tithes and offerings u built the school with. After all the poor folks are still cheerfully giving in churches.

2. Admit the best students only, in fact make a large % of students run on scholarship. Currently they just admit anybody that can pay the tuition and give them a funny course, after a silly entry exam.

Thats how to get high standard of learning

For the infrastructures, buildings and equipment

1. Sell the jets, fly first class, i heard jets cost a lot.

2. People are still paying tithes and offering, so spend it on the school as u did b4

3. Register the school in NSE or better, the church itself. After all it has become a financial institution. Sell IPOs

My point is, if u believe there is nothing ungodly about a church school being affordable to only the rich, then at least, make it a world class centre for learning.

I can,t believe you are scratchin and tearing ur skin over another person,s privately owned property and wealth.what exactly is your point or your pain, the tithing or the tuition,whatever it is,I say u should jst mind your business,and get busy with somthn productive and stop botherin urself over wat u know nuffin abt.
As for the tithing,if u think it is easy(if not Divine )to convince folks to part with their hard earned money, go start ur church and lets see.
As much as I dont want to be insultive,u need to get it in 2 ur (stale,unobjective reasoning ) brain that you re not and can never ever be smarter than the millions of members who undastand the principle of tithing .
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by BigMeat2: 6:24pm On Oct 31, 2011
most of the graduates from these universities are not up to the standard - employment wise.
Re: Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria by Rastamann: 7:17pm On Oct 31, 2011
Why is it that xtians and the church are always under attack,

ABTI university owned by atiku is $8,000 per session multiply that by exchange rate of N155 naira.

There are better Islamic universities like Cresent University,Fountain University and of course the One that Sanusi studied Islamic studies in Sudan.

What is your problem with tithes and offering.

The best universities(HAVARD,HOWARD,STANFORD,LINCOLN) in the USA and the world were started with tithes and offering of the people alive then.

The more you persecute and criticise xtians the more they are growing , why don't you face your islam and stop killing innocent people in the name of jihad

Among the worst private universities

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unilag Postutme & Diploma Pastqustns / Ambrose Ali University Aspirant(aau) Updates / Mass Communication Student Of National Open University Of Nigeria[new And Old].

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.