Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,342 members, 7,894,486 topics. Date: Friday, 19 July 2024 at 10:39 AM

The Problem With Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Problem With Nigeria (2463 Views)

Buhari Attending UN Assembly With Nigeria’s Slimmest Delegation In Decades. / How to tackle the Problem of Corruption Cankerworm In Nigeria! / Releasing Chibok Girls Information Will Damage Ties With Nigeria –UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Problem With Nigeria by Nobody: 5:27pm On Sep 26, 2007
tonia2000:

@davidylan
The fact is: The problem with Nigeria today is YOU and ME.Take it or leave it

In what way can you concretely back this up with sufficient facts and figures that the real problem with Nigeria is me, an immigrant who has not been to Nigeria in a couple of yrs, or you?

My earlier question still stands, did you steal public funds?
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by osisi5: 12:31am On Sep 27, 2007
Buruntashi:

The gov is right on this one. The state have to help those poor moslems who otherwise would never see Mecca. Why should it be a preserve of the rich? I don't know any part of the bible that says we should go to Jerusalem, with moslems its different.

The Koran never said they must go to Mecca.
There is a clause "for those who can afford it"
and even it says they must go there,must we be the ones to foot the bill?
why can't they take up a collection in the mosque for those who must visit mecca?
Obviously when one has to go there on our backs,he can't afford it.

No state in Nigeria whether Lagos,Zamfara or Abia should be sending anyone  to Mecca,Medina or to the land of the Jebusites and Perizzites.
We have people dying of hunger.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by osisi5: 12:40am On Sep 27, 2007
mazaje:

@+osisi

The name of the state is Plateau state and the name of the governor at that time was micheal botmang, by the way i am not in support of the state governments that are taking people out on tourist vacation all in the name of pligrimage, all i am trying to point out is that the nigerian people are so much in to religion that so many moslems will prefer to go to hajj than have a tarred road passing through their streets, people are so into religion to the extent that pastors are glaringly stealing from people and yet the people never stop visiting them, people steal from their places of work and take to their churches(pastors),people prefer to give money to their churches than help a hungry man on the street, people prefer to give their money to the churches or moques than to invest in projects that will benefit them collectively as a people.

The issue of religion and faith is very profoundly rooted the average nigerian is so much into religion that he will sacrifice some of his social benefits for religious benefits, You might be highly amazed but if you care to find out you will discover that some moslems in lagos state prefer this gesture by the lagos state government and will trade if for lets say a fully equiped hospital. it might sound ludicrious but thats the truth.

i was in nigerian recently and the way religion controls peoples life is beyond belief, religion comes first in everything people do back there its amusing but thats just the way it is, when you engage in discussion with people they will always let you know that religion is what is paramount in their lives, i fought with a lot of people because i tried to show them that their over zealousness about religion is what is preventing them from progressing, people don't see logic any more as far as a pastor or an imam says something thats how it stands any body that dissents is seen as an out cast that deserves no good in life. i don't want to write too much but every body here knows that religion plays a very very important role in nigeria, people will prefer to steal money and build churches and mosque than build schools,hospitals or develop on the decayed infasturucture. thats whats happening out there and i believe the status quo will remain for a very long time.

Your statement above is very different from how you came off initially.
As if to defend this stupid act by Lags state,afterall a state sent Christians on pilgrimage.
Boatmag was wrong in doing that,most likely he's a Christian and the Lagos state governor whom we know is Muslim is also so wrong here.
Hajj should be their private business,they should not be wasting public funds on such nonsense when our kids are dying of cholera and meningitis.

To think that a whole state has budget mapped out for such is infuriating.
If the governor must send people to hajj,let him pay for them from his salary not the salary of pensioners who are at the subtreasury begging for their gratuity and monthly pension.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by denex: 1:06am On Sep 27, 2007
If they can pump this kind of money to develope the areas around the Osun shrine, the Osun Sacred Grove and Osun River, build a couple of 5 star hotels and upgrade the roads and airport in Osun to world standard, we will be making billions of dollars annually from the millions of Cubans, Brazilians, Haitians and Americans who worship Osun and want to come for pilgrimage.

Then Osun State would not only be finally independent of the Federal Government, but it will be among the top 5 foreign exchange earners in the country.

Instead of us to respect our own Goddess, we're using public funds to sponsor the glory of other gods. No wonder a growing percentage of young Nigerian couples are without Osun's gift of the fruit of the womb.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by osisi5: 1:09am On Sep 27, 2007
I rebuke you denex.
We don't want to send people to Hajj neither do we want to promote voodoo and hoodoo
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by Nobody: 1:10am On Sep 27, 2007
denex:

If they can pump this kind of money to develope the areas around the Osun shrine, the Osun Sacred Grove and Osun River, build a couple of 5 star hotels and upgrade the roads and airport in Osun to world standard, we will be making billions of dollars annually from the millions of Cubans, Brazilians, Haitians and Americans who worship Osun and want to come for pilgrimage.

Then Osun State would not only be finally independent of the Federal Government, but it will be among the top 5 foreign exchange earners in the country.

Instead of us to respect our own Goddess, we're using public funds to sponsor the glory of other gods. No wonder a growing percentage of young Nigerian couples are without Osun's gift of the fruit of the womb.

This is one of the "problems with Nigeria", where Osun state to develop all you talk about she will need to sink billions of naira into such a project. Where does she get the money? of course from the illegal and undemocratic farce refered to as the "federal purse".

Let us imagine that she succeeds in making Osun a tourist haven, she will have to remit all her monies to the federal government since "all land is vested in the . . . Land use act 1979" and thus even though Osun generates so much, she'd be forced to "share" the same resources with those who choose to merely collect their "revenue allocation", pay civil servants, pocket the change and wait for another "allocation".

How do you generate wealth and engender healthy competition in such a scenario.

ooops i forgot the problem with Nigeria is the standard piece of propaganda dutifully paroted by those who dont know any better; "you and me"!

1 Like

Re: The Problem With Nigeria by denex: 1:11am On Sep 27, 2007
This is The Problem With Nigeria
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by babasin(m): 10:48am On Sep 27, 2007
Let us imagine that she succeeds in making Osun a tourist haven, she will have to remit all her monies to the federal government since "all land is vested in the . . . Land use act 1979" and thus even though Osun generates so much, she'd be forced to "share" the same resources with those who choose to merely collect their "revenue allocation", pay civil servants, pocket the change and wait for another "allocation".

well said. This was one of the EVIL-gifts of OBJ to Nigeria in 70s.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by Prizm(m): 5:20pm On Sep 27, 2007
Talk about misplaced priorities.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by tonia2000(f): 8:20am On Sep 28, 2007
@Davidylan

davidylan:

In what way can you concretely back this up with sufficient facts and figures that the real problem with Nigeria is me, an immigrant who has not been to Nigeria in a couple of years, or you?

My earlier question still stands, did you steal public funds?

Tonia hasnt come to attack u here on nairaland,who cares if uv bn away for a century,I still stand by my words.The hinderance behind ds country's development and progress is YOU.u sound so much like one shocked
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by Nobody: 6:17pm On Sep 28, 2007
tonia2000:

@Davidylan

Tonia hasnt come to attack u here on nairaland,who cares if uv bn away for a century,I still stand by my words.The hinderance behind ds country's development and progress is YOU.u sound so much like one shocked

lol you sound like you still have a lot of growing up to do.

I'll reserve my comments for those who really know what they are talking about not those who are directed by sentiments.
People like you amuse me, i wonder how i can be the problem with Nigeria more than 2000 miles away.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by kulaShaker(f): 4:45pm On Sep 30, 2007
@tonia
i so get what you are getting at. See david here has this holier than thou attittude that blinds him from himself, yes people like Him and that attitude do contribute to the problem with Nigeria.

@david you talk of not having time for people who give way to sentiments

davidylan:

lol you sound like you still have a lot of growing up to do.

I'll reserve my comments for those who really know what they are talking about not those who are directed by sentiments.
People like you amuse me, i wonder how i can be the problem with Nigeria more than 2000 miles away.
, well you could have fooled me, shocked your last post is full of sentiments, listen come down a peg or two sweetheart and accept you are as flawed as the next man. stop cutting your nose to spite your face. Oh before you retort with your usual '' everyone has an agenda against you'', let me tell you straight, i have no agenda against you, do not hate you, i actual like some things you post and dislike some you post, such is life. be truthful for once if not to the hidden faces behind nairaland, then to yourself.

Later!
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by Nobody: 5:01pm On Sep 30, 2007
kulaShaker:

@tonia
i so get what you are getting at. See david here has this holier than thou attittude that blinds him from himself, yes people like Him and that attitude do contribute to the problem with Nigeria.

At the risk of sounding rude, this ma is a very daft statement from you. The topic is discussing the "problem with Nigeria" not the problem with davidylan. Learn to stick to issues and you just might be taken seriously.

Like i asked tonia earlier and to which she is yet to reply, how does a "holier than thou" attitude contribute to Nigeria's problems more than 2000 miles away?

kulaShaker:

@david you talk of not having time for people who give way to sentiments
, well you could have fooled me, shocked your last post is full of sentiments, listen come down a peg or two sweetheart and accept you are as flawed as the next man.

Again another dumb statement. What has my accepting that i am as flawed as the next man got to do with the topic?
My statements were not directed to your person, focus on the topic and ignore my comments if they so intimidate you.

kulaShaker:

stop cutting your nose to spite your face. Oh before you retort with your usual '' everyone has an agenda against you'', let me tell you straight, i have no agenda against you, do not hate you, i actual like some things you post and dislike some you post, such is life. be truthful for once if not to the hidden faces behind nairaland, then to yourself.

agenda against me?  grin That never crosses my mind, i could care less what faceless people have to say about me. If you hate me that's your problem not mine. I don't even realise you exist.

Again Tonia claims the problem with Nigeria is You and me, my simple question ever since to her has been "how", as is usual with people who don't even understand themselves talk less of the issues they purport to discuss, she has failed to give a cogent answer beyond hiding behind her index finger of sentiments.
You on the other hand start hyperventilating about me cutting my nose to spite my face, and i wonder does this woman even understand what she reads at all?

What am i to be truthful about? That the problem with Nigeria is not me 2000 miles away but with those rogues and thieves who parade themselves around the corridors of power? It is not enough to just butt into topics you have a hazy view about and start shouting "the problem with Nigeria is You and me". In what way does my attitude or yours make PHCN less efficient? Did we join Etteh to steal N500m? Where we the ones who annulled June 12? Are we the hidden hands behind fuel scarcity, bad roads, poor hospitals and joblessness?

HOW should i be held responsible for Nigeria's problems? This problems were there before i was born and have gradually gotten worse, did i appoint Shagari or Abacha as presidents? Did i refuse to pay taxes or NEPA bills?

Those are the issues Tonia must confront, isnt it funny that Kulashakar runs around like a headless chicken crying "i so get what you are getting at" when even Tonia has no idea what she is talking about?

Talk about cluelessness and confusion.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by kulaShaker(f): 10:57pm On Sep 30, 2007
hahahaha typical David response, when all else fails result to sentiments and DRAMA.HAHAHAHAHA  grin grin

ps
always excitable, perhaps he is on his period undecided grin
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by Nobody: 11:00pm On Sep 30, 2007
kulaShaker:

hahahaha typical David response, when all else fails result to sentiments and DRAMA.HAHAHAHAHA  grin grin

ps

One word - DAFT.
Grow up.
Best of all, when you have no idea about a subject its best to remain silent. People may be decieved into thinking you are smart.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by kulaShaker(f): 11:02pm On Sep 30, 2007
take your own advice young man lol or see your doc about PMS lol grin. ''excited again are yah?'' wink
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by Nobody: 11:03pm On Sep 30, 2007
kulaShaker:

take your own advice young man lol or see your doc about PMS lol grin. ''excited again are yah?'' wink

i so get what you are getting at! grin What a dunce!
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by kulaShaker(f): 11:28pm On Sep 30, 2007
grin yeah sure grin grin grin
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by babasin(m): 8:28am On Oct 01, 2007
Cant Nigerians have some meaningful discussion?

shocked cool shocked
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by Nobody: 8:35am On Oct 01, 2007
YEAH BABASIN
THEY ARE JUST BLABBING OUT NONSENSE
@denex,davidlyn and others
though i agree that government should not sponsor hajj operations but why would you call an important rite in a religion the moving round of a black stone. angry angry
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by Afam(m): 3:52pm On Oct 01, 2007
kulaShaker:

hahahaha typical David response, when all else fails result to sentiments and DRAMA.HAHAHAHAHA grin grin

ps

Hmm, sentiments and drama? Feel free to add another thing, long posts with almost every statement being reproduced and responded to individually, seems to help make the reply very long and there is this feeling I have that he thinks that long posts make someone appear intelligent.

It won't be well for the person that gave him that idea, its been misleading him ever since.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by Nobody: 5:40pm On Oct 01, 2007
Afam:

Hmm, sentiments and drama? Feel free to add another thing, long posts with almost every statement being reproduced and responded to individually, seems to help make the reply very long and there is this feeling I have that he thinks that long posts make someone appear intelligent.

It won't be well for the person that gave him that idea, its been misleading him ever since.

As usual, the moral policeman is here NOT to give his "insightful" input into the topic (of which he knows nothing) but to hound and insult. grin This boy needs some growing up to do.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by mrpataki(m): 6:43pm On Oct 01, 2007
Leadership!
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by kulaShaker(f): 7:47pm On Oct 01, 2007
lol still laughing myself silly ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! oh the dramatics grin
@topic
people refusing to start change by looking inwards first is another problem with Nigeria.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Get Ibori Dead Or Alive, Jonathan Orders Onovo / Dr.Ikedife, Past Ohanaeze Ndigbo President-General Condemns Jonathan Over Buhari / Mukhtara Ramalan Yaro Is Now The Governor Of Kaduna State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.