Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,501 members, 7,881,693 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 07:32 AM

Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? (11266 Views)

Should Dual Citizens Hold Political Post / Video: APC Party Members Engage In Free-for-all Fight AT Non-elective Convention / I Will Never Seek Elective Office Again, Says Ibb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:24am On Nov 02, 2011
@ndu_chucks,

While it is true the oath speaks for itself, here is another view on its workings in practice.,

Dual Citizenship, the Naturalized US Citizen, and the Oath of Allegiance

“I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen…” from the Oath of Allegiance

The opening lines of the Oath of Allegiance are meant to give the United States exclusive sovereignty over the newly naturalized citizen.   In other words, you are a citizen of one and only one country, the United States of America.   The idea is that as soon as you take the Oath of Allegiance and become an American, you are giving up your citizenship of your native country.

Naturalized citizens are not legally obligated to give up their citizenship of their native country.   The United States has never ordered (as far as we know) any newly naturalized US citizens to present themselves to their native country’s embassy and formally renounce their original citizenship.   In the past, the first part of the oath was never a problem because almost all countries took away a person’s citizenship as soon as they became a citizen of another country.

Legally speaking, however, there is nothing in the Constitution and there are no past rulings from the United States Supreme Court preventing the United States (via the USCIS and the State Department) from requiring all naturalized citizens to officially renounce their original citizenship to their native country as a condition of naturalization.   However it seems very unlikely that this would occur for a number of reasons:
Even in the aftermath of September 11th, there doesn’t seem to be much political support or even political will for implementing such an extreme policy.
Many foreign countries may resist implementation of any such policy.   These countries could simply refuse to accept any renouncement of citizenship as a condition of US citizenship, which the US would be powerless to stop.
The rate of naturalization in this country would drop off dramatically and alienate many immigrants, creating divisiveness and polarization in a country that prides itself on being the “great melting pot.”
More practically speaking, besides the administrative cost of implementing such a policy, the US government is ever so slowly waking up to the fact that there are more benefits in terms of economic opportunities and US cultural expansion than risks in allowing dual citizenship.
The important thing to remember about the Oath of Allegiance is not the renouncement of your original citizenship, which the US does not enforce and permits you to keep anyway.   The important thing to remember is the allegiance and fidelity you swear to the United States of America.   That’s the power in the Oath and that’s why you should display the Oath of Allegiance.   It is a reminder of the promise you made to be faithful and true to the United States.   The Oath is also demonstration to everyone else of your loyalty and the sworn commitment you made to place America first!
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by layifioren(m): 11:35am On Nov 02, 2011
ndu_chucks:

You asked: How is it possible for someone to renounce their citizenship at a naturalization ceremony and then go back home with their foriegn passport? The answer is because of lack of enforcement of laws. This is not an issue of whether the US government cares about dual citizenship, but an issue of whether the Nigerian supreme court will not recognize the renounciation of Nigerian citizenship as done in a sworn oath, in the presence of a judge, as part of US naturalization process. Time will tell.

BTW, if you are already a dual citizen in the USA, there is a separate and elaborate process of renouncing your citizenship of any country. This is not what we are talking about here.

Just to let you know, I renounced my Nigerian citizenship a while ago because of what I was going to be doing and before then I was a naturalized dual citizen. Just as eGuerilla has stated, there is more to the application of the whole thing than just the oath. I've walked the walk and I can say I'm very knowledgeable in this subject. You made a statement that is partially true and I was just trying to shed some light on it. Arrhhh, I can't believe I came back to comment on this issue!
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by nduchucks: 11:42am On Nov 02, 2011
Lete just wait for the supreme court to rule on the issue, hopefully, through Akala's case.  It seems to me as if if you go in front of a judge and declare under oath, and in the presence of a judge, that you renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to Nigeria, you don't deserve to hold any elective office in Nigeria ( but its only an opinion).

@layifioren. No offense, I simply do not believe your story. Is there any way you can prove that you renounced your Nigerian citizenship as stated above?
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by freshera: 12:25pm On Nov 02, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Who in his or her right mind would drop an international citizenship for Nigeria?

I dont think so.

Someone who is guaranteed of getting 2billion naira in 2 years with just a few flimsy trials to endure after.

Who fit make that amount abroad in that short time?

besides if war come, cameroun, senegal, ghana dey there. even south africa dey look for rich immigrants.

dem fit renounce the int. citizrnship, get the money for naija and then get another int. citizenship.
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Nov 02, 2011
eGuerrilla:

When did Bankole renounce his foreign citizenship?

When did David Mark renounce his Belizean citizenship?

No mind dem jare. . .Bukola Saraki get british passport; Gov Abiola Ajimobi get american passport.

With minimum of $500k required for most permanent residence permits, most politicians and civil servants are CIA special agents with multiple (not dual) nationalities. Bloody stark hypocrites!!!
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by manny4life(m): 12:59pm On Nov 02, 2011
Please guys, someone answer this question because I'm not so conversant with Nigerian Law and Constitution. Like someone said, though the Supreme Court is yet to decide; if a Nigerian citizen by birth, yet a naturalized U.S.citizen either through their parents or otherwise, wants to return back to Nigeria and run for governor for their state or any state elected position, they are good right? cry cry cry
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by pokur: 1:12pm On Nov 02, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Lete just wait for the supreme court to rule on the issue, hopefully, through Akala's case.  It seems to me as if if you go in front of a judge and declare under oath, and in the presence of a judge, that you renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to Nigeria, you don't deserve to hold any elective office in Nigeria ( but its only an opinion).

@layifioren. No offense, I simply do not believe your story. Is there any way you can prove that you renounced your Nigerian citizenship as stated above?
@ndu_chuks
The process for renounciation of Nigerian citizenship is clearly stated in section 29 CFRN,and as enunciated by Justice Adeniji in his ruling,it only applies to naturalized citizens or citizens by registration.A natural born Nigerian citizen can never lose nor forfeit his citizenship of Nigeria by just simply swearing allegiance to another state or potentate.
As an aside,citizenship by birth is also extended to all those born in Nigeria who have only one grandparent who is a Nigerian.That is contained in the grandparent clause of section 25(1b).
So,Akala or the PDP in Oyo are wasting their time and resources trying to unseat Ajimobi on such grounds.
@manny4life
A Nigerian citizen by birth,either through the parent or grandparent clause(section 25/1a-c),can contest for any elective position in the country provided he or she have met the other qualifications required for such posts.
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by manny4life(m): 1:28pm On Nov 02, 2011
pokur:

@ndu_chuks
The process for renounciation of Nigerian citizenship is clearly stated in section 29 CFRN,and as enunciated by Justice Adeniji in his ruling,it only applies to naturalized citizens or citizens by registration.A natural born Nigerian citizen can never lose nor forfeit his citizenship of Nigeria by just simply swearing allegiance to another state or potentate.
As an aside,citizenship by birth is also extended to all those born in Nigeria who have only one grandparent who is a Nigerian.That is contained in the grandparent clause of section 25(1b).
So,Akala or the PDP in Oyo are wasting their time and resources trying to unseat Ajimobi on such grounds.
@manny4life
A Nigerian citizen by birth,either through the parent or grandparent clause(section 25/1a-c),can contest for any elective position in the country[b] provided he or she have met the other qualifications required for such posts.[/b]

Ok, so what other basic qualifications and requirement must one meet that is required for such post like I stated above? I mean, other than sound educational and experience background, what else? Is dirty politics included?
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by layifioren(m): 1:28pm On Nov 02, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Lete just wait for the supreme court to rule on the issue, hopefully, through Akala's case.  It seems to me as if if you go in front of a judge and declare under oath, and in the presence of a judge, that you renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to Nigeria, you don't deserve to hold any elective office in Nigeria ( but its only an opinion).

I didn't even see that part until I was reading pokur's response. Alright to enlighten you this was what I did. I called the Nigeria Embassy here in the US and after several trials I got the chance to talk to a rude lady on a phone line that wasn't even clear (went on a tangent just to show you how useless they are). She then told me what I need to do is mail my passport with $50 and a letter renouncing my Nigerian citizenship. I did that and boom I got a confirmation letter back from them. Are you satisfied or do you have more questions amigo?
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by KacHemNaU(m): 1:30pm On Nov 02, 2011
freshera:

Someone who is guaranteed of getting 2billion naira in  2 years with just a few flimsy trials to endure after.

Who fit make that amount abroad in that short time?

besides if war come, cameroun, senegal, ghana dey there. even south africa dey look for rich immigrants.

dem fit renounce the int. citizrnship, get the money for naija and then get another int. citizenship.
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by pokur: 1:52pm On Nov 02, 2011
layifioren:

I didn't even see that part until I was reading pokur's response. Alright to enlighten you this was what I did. I called the Nigeria Embassy here in the US and after several trials I got the chance to talk to a rude lady on a phone line that wasn't even clear (went on a tangent just to show you how useless they are). She then told me what I need to do is mail my passport with $50 and a letter renouncing my Nigerian citizenship. I did that and boom I got a confirmation letter back from them. Are you satisfied or do you have more questions amigo?
@layifioren
Did u get mailed a letter by the President,FRN accepting your renounciation and a copy of the official Gazzette wherein it was published?.If u didn't get any of those,then i have to inform u that u are still a Nigerian citizen a lá section 29(2) CFRN
The president have to accept your renounciation in writing and have it published in the official Gazzette before it becomes fact/legal,he is even mandated to reject outright any renounciation of citizenship if Nigeria were engaged in any conflict or natural disaster.
Then again,the combined effects of section 28 & 29(1) makes it clear that renounciation is only applicable to naturalized citizens or citizens by registration.If u don't belong to either category,dude u are still a Nigerian.
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by manny4life(m): 1:55pm On Nov 02, 2011
layifioren:

Dude they just took your money and that was it, Just like that? Yo, at least I know you don't renounce citizenship like that, taking your passport ain't sh/it, sorry bro you missed.
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by layifioren(m): 1:58pm On Nov 02, 2011
pokur:

@layifioren
Did u get mailed a letter by the President,FRN accepting your renounciation and a copy of the official Gazzette wherein it was published?.If u didn't get any of those,then i have to inform u that u are still a Nigerian citizen a lá section 29(2) CFRN
The president have to accept your renounciation in writing and have it published in the official Gazzette before it becomes fact/legal,he is even mandated to reject outright any renounciation of citizenship if Nigeria were engaged in any conflict or natural disaster.
Then again,the combined effects of section 28 & 29(1) makes it clear that renounciation is only applicable to naturalized citizens or citizens by registration.If u don't belong to either category,dude u are still a Nigerian.

I hear you my brother. I was just going through the motions. I told them (my colleagues) that renouncing Nigerian citizenship is really just going through the motions. I'll be stunned to death if they (Nigerian embassy/govt) keep records of anything.
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by pokur: 2:02pm On Nov 02, 2011
@manny4life
There no other qualification except the age,educational &political affiliation qualifications.Of course,u are also required not to have been convicted within 10yrs prior to the period u wish to contest a political position nor be an undischarged bankrupt.
Another serious factor to consider is the indegeneship thing.If u have all these covered,then u are good to go.
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by layifioren(m): 2:02pm On Nov 02, 2011
manny4life:

Dude they just took your money and that was it, Just like that? Yo, at least I know you don't renounce citizenship like that, taking your passport ain't sh/it, sorry bro you missed.

Ofcourse I knew that but I still had to do it to show that I've done what I needed to do to "renounce" my Nigerian citizenship. Technically that's the process but you and I know there's no process when it comes to Naija. Atleast they sent me a letter back so they used 42 cents out of the 50 bucks  undecided undecided grin grin
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by pokur: 2:08pm On Nov 02, 2011
layifioren:

Ofcourse I knew that but I still had to do it to show that I've done what I needed to do to "renounce" my Nigerian citizenship. Technically that's the process but you and I know there's no process when it comes to Naija. Atleast they sent me a letter back so they used 42 cents out of the 50 bucks  undecided undecided grin grin
Renouncing Nigerian citizenship is a near-impossible thing to do.I believe it was deliberately made so by the framers of the constitution to frustrate would-be seccesionists.
Just continue doing what u are doing now,i don't think there's a downside to your attempt to renounce.
Where u are through there,your Nigerian citizenship awaits u this side of the pond.
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by Beaf: 2:22pm On Nov 02, 2011
eGuerrilla:

@Beaf,

Why don't you ask the two principals you are fielding for to issue unequivocal denials on a matter of public interest?
This is how such matters are handled in saner climes, no?

If you desist from asking stup!d questions and attempting to coral others like a dugbe market trader, you will get decent responses.
Now I'm fielding for Bankole, because you lack the brains or facts to argue your case? Dude, you are dumb.

Your rat catcher style of accosting bystanders with dumb but highly aggressive thuggish questions like the ones illustrated below will always get you a deserved slapdown and a wacking sock in the left eye:

eGuerrilla:

When did Bankole renounce his foreign citizenship?

When did David Mark renounce his Belizean citizenship?

If you get upset that the above could only draw a caustic response, then you are truly in need of basic social skills.

Dunce.
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by Beaf: 2:31pm On Nov 02, 2011
layifioren:

Bruv, that "rude lady" chopped your $50.00. They call it 419. cool
You are still a 9ja.
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Nov 02, 2011
Thank u very much for this clarification o! How I for do for 2015!
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by IVYNerd: 3:02pm On Nov 02, 2011
Much ado about nothing, the case of dual citizenship and right to run for an office is a forgone conclusion in Nigeria, yet we're beating a dead horse. The appellate court has ruled on this matter, setting a legal precedent that is unlikely to be changed by the Supreme Court except if there is ambiguity in the interpretation. Keep in mind that Supreme court has ruled on a similar issues in the past "The Supreme Court Ruling on Electoral Act 2001 and Dual Citizens/Nigerian Citizens Resident Abroad" Check the following website for detail,    http://www.dawodu.com/aluko18.htm

I know some of us are not lawyers, thus, I don't expect us to know the modus operandi of the court. However, we can at least do some research using google or lexisnexis to search for cases relating to the issue in contention. For the record, I don't see Akala or PDP pursuing the case against Ajimobi to the supreme court because it is a loosing proposition. I don't even see Supreme Court taking up the case since the Appeal Court's and Federal Court ruling in 2004 and 2007 was congruent.

For the record, the Court of Appeal decision in the case of "Ogbeide vs. Osula {2004} 12 NWLR PART 886"  as pronounced by Justice  Adamu, reading the lead judgment, states that:

“WHEREAS a person who is a citizen of Nigeria by birth cannot have such citizenship forfeited or become ineligible to contest such elections under any circumstances even where Section 65(1) is read with Section 137. A person who is not a citizen of Nigeria can be so registered, but where he is not a citizen of that other country by birth, his registration will be conditioned on the renunciation of his citizenship of that other country. In other words, renunciation of citizenship does not apply to a citizen of this country by birth.

What one can make of that section read with Sections 25, 26 and 27 of the Constitution is that a citizen of this country by birth never loses his citizenship even where he holds dual citizenship of another country and cannot be disqualified from contesting elections into the House of Representatives for reasons only that he holds such dual citizenship.”

As such,  the Court’s pronouncement and reasoning is clear and logical and cannot be controverted. This Court of Appeal’s decision has been followed by a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja in the case of "Professor Odidi & Akeem Bello vs. INEC (Suit FHC/ABJ/CS/28/07)."   T[b]he applicants, in this case, had challenged the validity of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, to disqualify the first two applicants, who were respectively the presidential and vice presidential candidates of the New Democrats Party, from contesting the 2007 presidential elections on the basis that both of them held citizenship of Canada and America (respectively). They stood disqualified from contesting the country’s presidency by virtue of the provision of Section 137(1) (a), of the Constitution. The presiding judge, Justice A.I Chikere quoted with approval the dictum of His Lordship, Adeniji JCA, in the Ogbeide case {supra} that
“A person who is a citizen of Nigeria by birth cannot have such citizenship forfeited or become ineligible to contest election under any circumstances even where section 65(1) in the present case is read together with Section 137 of the 1999 Constitution.”[/b]

The judge then directed INEC to register the two applicants to contest the 2007 election. Again, there is no where in the record that says INEC challenge the verdict in Appeal or Supreme Court because its lawyer know better. Hopefully Akala and PDP's lawyer will come to their senses soon. Except the aforementioned parties have too much money to spend on legal fees.

The jurisprudence in other countries and in international courts also follows this line of reasoning. The most recent decision on the matter seems to be the decision of European Court of Human Rights in the case of Tanase and Chirtoaca vs. Moldova, which the court delivered on the April 27, 2010. In that case, the applicants, both Moldovan nationals had challenged a 2008 amendment to the Moldovan Constitution which barred Moldovans who held dual nationality from contesting for parliamentary positions. The Grand Chamber of the Court held that the 2008 amendments were unlawful and disproportionate to any concern of loyalty the country may have. The court ruled that:

“…in a democracy, loyalty to a state did not necessarily mean loyalty to the actual government of that State or to a particular political party. There were other methods available to the Moldovan Government to ensure loyalty of MPs to the nation, such as requiring them to take an oath. Such measures had been adopted by other European countries.”

I don't intend to comment on this issue any longer because it is an effort in futility. I would rather stick with court's interpretation of Nigeria constitution as opposed to listening to "non-learned" opinions, which often the case is prevalent in our society. Adios  smiley
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by pokur: 3:34pm On Nov 02, 2011
IVY-Nerd:

Much ado about nothing, the case of dual citizenship and right to run for an office is a forgone conclusion in Nigeria, yet we're beating a dead horse. The appellate court has ruled on this matter, setting a legal precedent that is unlikely to be changed by the Supreme Court except if there is ambiguity in the interpretation. Keep in mind that Supreme court has ruled on a similar issues in the past "The Supreme Court Ruling on Electoral Act 2001 and Dual Citizens/Nigerian Citizens Resident Abroad" Check the following website for detail,    http://www.dawodu.com/aluko18.htm

I know some of us are not lawyers, thus, I don't expect us to know the modus operandi of the court. However, we can at least do some research using google or lexisnexis to search for cases relating to the issue in contention. For the record, I don't see Akala or PDP pursuing the case against Ajimobi to the supreme court because it is a loosing proposition. I don't even see Supreme Court taking up the case since the Appeal Court's and Federal Court ruling in 2004 and 2007 was congruent.

For the record, the Court of Appeal decision in the case of "Ogbeide vs. Osula {2004} 12 NWLR PART 886"  as pronounced by Justice  Adamu, reading the lead judgment, states that:

“WHEREAS a person who is a citizen of Nigeria by birth cannot have such citizenship forfeited or become ineligible to contest such elections under any circumstances even where Section 65(1) is read with Section 137. A person who is not a citizen of Nigeria can be so registered, but where he is not a citizen of that other country by birth, his registration will be conditioned on the renunciation of his citizenship of that other country. In other words, renunciation of citizenship does not apply to a citizen of this country by birth.

What one can make of that section read with Sections 25, 26 and 27 of the Constitution is that a citizen of this country by birth never loses his citizenship even where he holds dual citizenship of another country and cannot be disqualified from contesting elections into the House of Representatives for reasons only that he holds such dual citizenship.”

As such,  the Court’s pronouncement and reasoning is clear and logical and cannot be controverted. This Court of Appeal’s decision has been followed by a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja in the case of "Professor Odidi & Akeem Bello vs. INEC (Suit FHC/ABJ/CS/28/07)."   T[b]he applicants, in this case, had challenged the validity of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, to disqualify the first two applicants, who were respectively the presidential and vice presidential candidates of the New Democrats Party, from contesting the 2007 presidential elections on the basis that both of them held citizenship of Canada and America (respectively). They stood disqualified from contesting the country’s presidency by virtue of the provision of Section 137(1) (a), of the Constitution. The presiding judge, Justice A.I Chikere quoted with approval the dictum of His Lordship, Adeniji JCA, in the Ogbeide case {supra} that
“A person who is a citizen of Nigeria by birth cannot have such citizenship forfeited or become ineligible to contest election under any circumstances even where section 65(1) in the present case is read together with Section 137 of the 1999 Constitution.”[/b]

The judge then directed INEC to register the two applicants to contest the 2007 election. Again, there is no where in the record that says INEC challenge the verdict in Appeal or Supreme Court because its lawyer know better. Hopefully Akala and PDP's lawyer will come to their senses soon. Except the aforementioned parties have too much money to spend on legal fees.

The jurisprudence in other countries and in international courts also follows this line of reasoning. The most recent decision on the matter seems to be the decision of European Court of Human Rights in the case of Tanase and Chirtoaca vs. Moldova, which the court delivered on the April 27, 2010. In that case, the applicants, both Moldovan nationals had challenged a 2008 amendment to the Moldovan Constitution which barred Moldovans who held dual nationality from contesting for parliamentary positions. The Grand Chamber of the Court held that the 2008 amendments were unlawful and disproportionate to any concern of loyalty the country may have. The court ruled that:

“…in a democracy, loyalty to a state did not necessarily mean loyalty to the actual government of that State or to a particular political party. There were other methods available to the Moldovan Government to ensure loyalty of MPs to the nation, such as requiring them to take an oath. Such measures had been adopted by other European countries.”

I don't intend to comment on this issue any longer because it is an effort in futility. I would rather stick with court's interpretation of Nigeria constitution as opposed to listening to "non-learned" opinions, which often the case is prevalent in our society. Adios  smiley

Clap,clap,clap.B-R-A-V-O
Couldn't have put it better meself.
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by nduchucks: 4:01pm On Nov 02, 2011
@IVY-Nerd, I hate to break your heart, but your post above concerns dual citizens.  Some legal minds, possibly including some members of the Nigerian supreme court believe that you lose your Nigerian citizenship when you publicly renounce the same, under oath, in the presence of a judge, while aquiring the citizenship of the USA.

This issue is yet to be settled by the supreme court or any other Nigerian court, for that matter. 

Frankly, all traitors who renounce the citizenship of our dear country should be deported immediately. awon olodo.   cheesy
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by manny4life(m): 4:24pm On Nov 02, 2011
pokur:

@manny4life
There no other qualification except the age,educational &political affiliation qualifications.Of course,u are also required not to have been convicted within 10yrs prior to the period u wish to contest a political position nor be an undischarged bankrupt.
Another serious factor to consider is the indegeneship thing.If u have all these covered,then u are good to go.

Great! So nothing to fret about grin grin grin. Looks like I'm all covered, I'm coming to Nigeria to make a difference wink wink
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by Akiika: 5:08pm On Nov 02, 2011
Has any of the public office holder behaved differently despite their dual citizenship? NO, they are still their wicked avaricious Nigerian self.
Presently, in the constitution, dual citizenship preclude you from contesting for elective offices, but what the likes of David Mark, Bankole, The Saraki's e.tc did was to lie that they have renounced their foreign citizenship while they still hold on to it. As usual, nobody cared to probe it since they are untouchables.
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by Anvaller: 5:39pm On Nov 02, 2011
This is an interesting case anyway.
But is the question about whether u are no more Nigerian citizen or that u are not allowed to be president or governor? Under common sense and in my opinion, it is silly if u are handling your country over to guys who have willingly sworn allegiance to a country other than Nigeria? The loyalty have been divided and u may not completely trust these group of ppl in their bilateral interactions with the other country they have sworn allegiance to. Most especially, if thy have political interest or stake in such countries. (A simple local  example is the case of Aregbeshola of osun who hops between lagos and osun. This governor is expected to dedicate every bit of his time to Osun state)

Ideally, this group of ppl (dual citizens by naturalization) can not be considered as having sufficient patriotism to hold such positions. At least there are many Nigerians who could also have sworn allegiance to another country but who declined from doing so as a matter of principles bothering on patriotism.

Lets look at it this way. If a governor of a state is also a citizen of another country, that means he would possess both passport of Nigeria and passport of lets say U.S. Assuming this guy committed grave offences as a governor and he is under probe, EFCC would seize his Nigerian passport as a measure to preventing him from jumping bail fleeing out of Nigeria. Such action can only make any sense if the person in question is a Nigerian and nothing but a Nigerian. "If u seize my Nigerian passport, I can tell u to go to hell and travel with my other passport to my other country"

And again, in the case of Ajimobi, this guy denied initially that he is not an american citizen, he denied it outrightly and put it to the PDP to prove it. Later, he argued that all they have tendered does not in any way prove that he is not a citizen of Nigeria, that is a tactical way to admit that the PDP was right with the allegation that he holds an american citizenship. The fact  that he lied ab-initio to Nigerians that he doesnt have american citizenship whereas he does is even enough to kick him in the a/ss.

If there have been judgement in favour of such in the past, it must have been politically motivated and it is a shame. I can understand the reason why many guys in Diaspora are leaning strongly in favour of being governor and or president as a dual citizen because many of them are dual citizens by naturalization and at the same time hoping to be governors, senators or president in Nigeria some day. There is still an underlying interest in there reason to see sense in this scenario. Eating your cake and wanting to have it at the same time,  It is only in Nigeria that all things are possible.

Lets see how it goes.
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by lagcity(m): 5:56pm On Nov 02, 2011
the whole dual citizenship thing just feels wrong to me. the moment you become American/British citizen, they own you and can do whatever to you. You can't serve two masters. Even if you make money in another country, you still have to pay your tax to America.
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by seunlayi(m): 6:28pm On Nov 02, 2011
bankole and marks case were not challenge by opponents, politicians have there way of doing things. Ajimobi denied the claim initially, but now he is trying to defend himself. Let just wait and see what the supreme court have to say on this issue.
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by Gbenge77(m): 7:56pm On Nov 02, 2011
How about that for a comment.
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by dancewith: 10:01am On Nov 03, 2011
How about Nigerian citizens by descent? Can they contest? A lot of Nigerians were born in foreign countries to Nigerian citizens. Would these category of people be eligible to contest for elective offices in Nigeria?
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by pokur: 1:23pm On Nov 03, 2011
dancewith:

How about Nigerian citizens by descent? Can they contest? A lot of Nigerians were born in foreign countries to Nigerian citizens. Would these category of people be eligible to contest for elective offices in Nigeria?
Yep,they are eligible to contest for any political post in Nigeria.Citizens by descent are defined as natural born citizens or citizens by birth by section 25(1b) of the CFRN
Re: Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? by SamIreke: 12:18am On Aug 25, 2012
IVY-Nerd:

Much ado about nothing, the case of dual citizenship and right to run for an office is a forgone conclusion in Nigeria, yet we're beating a dead horse. The appellate court has ruled on this matter, setting a legal precedent that is unlikely to be changed by the Supreme Court except if there is ambiguity in the interpretation. Keep in mind that Supreme court has ruled on a similar issues in the past "The Supreme Court Ruling on Electoral Act 2001 and Dual Citizens/Nigerian Citizens Resident Abroad" Check the following website for detail, http://www.dawodu.com/aluko18.htm

For the record, the Court of Appeal decision in the case of "Ogbeide vs. Osula {2004} 12 NWLR PART 886" as pronounced by Justice Adamu, reading the lead judgment, states that:

As such, the Court’s pronouncement and reasoning is clear and logical and cannot be controverted. This Court of Appeal’s decision has been followed by a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja in the case of "Professor Odidi & Akeem Bello vs. INEC (Suit FHC/ABJ/CS/28/07)." The applicants, in this case, had challenged the validity of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, to disqualify the first two applicants, who were respectively the presidential and vice presidential candidates of the New Democrats Party, from contesting the 2007 presidential elections on the basis that both of them held citizenship of Canada and America (respectively). They stood disqualified from contesting the country’s presidency by virtue of the provision of Section 137(1) (a), of the Constitution. The presiding judge, Justice A.I Chikere quoted with approval the dictum of His Lordship, Adeniji JCA, in the Ogbeide case {supra} that
“A person who is a citizen of Nigeria by birth cannot have such citizenship forfeited or become ineligible to contest election under any circumstances even where section 65(1) in the present case is read together with Section 137 of the 1999 Constitution.”

I don't intend to comment on this issue any longer because it is an effort in futility. I would rather stick with court's interpretation of Nigeria constitution as opposed to listening to "non-learned" opinions, which often the case is prevalent in our society. Adios[color=#006600][/color]

I admire your contributions but you are clearly stretching the application of that ruling by the Court of Appeal. You are putting the wrong construction on the word 'forfeited'as used by the learned Justice of the Court of Appeal by giving it a broader meaning than intended.

There are two ways in which you can forfeit your citizenship under the Constitution of Nigeria. They are by voluntary renuciation as an adult or deprivation by an agent of the Nigerian State like the President. And there is a clear difference between renunciation of citizenship and deprivation of citizenship.

Nobody, including the President can deprive a citizen of Nigeria by birth or even by registration (a woman married to a Nigerian citizen by birth who chooses to register or an adult born abroad whose grandparents were Nigerians by birth after they seek and obtain citizenship by registration). See Section 29 of the Constitution.This arm of forfeiture is covered under the ruling.

But clearly, the Constitution allows any Nigerian of full age to voluntarily renounce his citizenship, if he chooses. The way to renounce one's citizenship is to make a 'declaration in the prescribed manner'. The process is complete if the President çause such declaration to be registered'. Note that there is no duty outlined in the Constitution for the President to publish the declaration or to gazzette as someone suggested.

Now, it is also clear that the embassies of a country are extensions of the office of the President. It also makes sense that one of the basic training diplomats receive is on how help citizens do the 'declaration in the prescribed manner'. For the person who sent $50 to renounce, do not be surprised if someday it comes back to haunt you - if you ever think of going back to Nigeria someday.

So, the idea that you cannot lose your citizenship by birth is a fallacy. The idea that you can renounce your citizenship at any time and pick it up again without any formality, at will, is also not founded on the Constitution of Nigeria. So, voluntary renuncitation as a means of forfeiting one's citizenship is clearly not covered under the Court of Appeal ruling. Even if it is: it would be a wrong ruling that would be overturned by the Supreme Court someday. But it is not.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

SSS Summons Senator Zanna Over Boko Haram Commander / My Best Not Good Enough Yet – President Buhari Admits / Tinubu In Edo For A Town Hall Meeting On Power Sector And Job Creation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.