Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,391 members, 7,881,415 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 07:01 PM

The Biblical Emphasis On Communion Over Christmas Celebration - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Biblical Emphasis On Communion Over Christmas Celebration (70 Views)

Archbishop Bars Pelosi From Receiving Holy Communion Over Abortion Support / William Kosco: I Will Never Give Biden Communion, Over My Dead Body / DEBATE: Pls Present All The Biblical Contradictions And Lies Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Biblical Emphasis On Communion Over Christmas Celebration by verybadmouth(m): 6:48am On Dec 26, 2023
The celebration of Christmas, while widely embraced by Christians worldwide, raises questions about its biblical foundation. The Bible does not specify the exact date of Jesus' birth, and the New Testament places a greater emphasis on the institution of communion as a means of remembering Christ. In this writeup, we will explore the biblical perspective on communion as a significant practice for believers and the absence of explicit commands to celebrate the birth of Jesus.

Jesus' Emphasis on Communion
During the Last Supper, Jesus instituted the practice of communion, instructing his followers to partake in the bread and cup in remembrance of him. In Luke 22:19-20, Jesus said, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me. This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you." Here, Jesus prioritizes the remembrance of his sacrificial death through communion.

Absence of Explicit Christmas Celebration Commands
Nowhere in the Bible does Jesus command his followers to celebrate his birth. While the birth of Christ is a momentous event, the New Testament primarily focuses on the teachings, death, and resurrection of Jesus. The apostles, in their writings, emphasize the significance of Christ's redemptive work rather than an annual celebration of his birth.

Biblical Emphasis on Spiritual Practices
The New Testament places a strong emphasis on spiritual practices such as prayer, worship, and fellowship. These activities are highlighted as essential components of the Christian life, contributing to spiritual growth and a deeper relationship with God.

Avoiding Worldly Distractions
Some Christians argue against the celebration of Christmas due to its secular and commercial aspects, which can distract from the core message of Christ's life and teachings. By focusing on communion and other spiritual practices, believers aim to maintain a pure and undistracted devotion to Christ.

While Christmas has become a widely accepted and cherished celebration in Christian tradition, a biblical perspective underscores the importance of communion as a solemn remembrance of Jesus' sacrifice. The absence of explicit commands to celebrate Christ's birth, coupled with the emphasis on spiritual practices, invites believers to reflect on the core aspects of their faith and the teachings of Jesus. Ultimately, the decision to celebrate Christmas or prioritize communion aligns with individual convictions and interpretations of biblical principles.

(1) (Reply)

Get To Know God Next Year / Happy New Year ᚢeun Osewa / Christian Persecution Worldwide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.