Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,123 members, 7,887,246 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 04:13 AM

Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child (24367 Views)

Man Feels Guilty Everytime His Wife Reigns Curses On The Men Who Raped Her. / How Do You Deal With Very Annoying Parent(s)? / Parent(s) Defending Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by pslm23(f): 2:50pm On Nov 02, 2011
Growing up as a child, it was drummed into my head and the heads of my brothers and sisters, that if we constantly dis-respected our parents and caused them so much grief that they could curse us and that curse would stick. Because of this, I have always respected my elders not just my parents.

A conversation came up yesterday between my sister and i about curses and I remembered 2 of my paternal uncles that are suffering and have been having a hard knock life for most of their lives. Everything they touch always crumbles. They haven't been able to keep a job no longer than 30 days in their lives. They like women too much and women like them too but when it comes to marriage, it's like a brick wall appears. They are well educated men with degrees in Business Admin and Political Science respectively. These men are now in their late 60s and still single and jobless living in our ancestral home in the village. They've rented out all the rooms in that house to students and just as quickly as the money comes in, it goes with nothing to show for it. We have received reports that our home in the village is falling apart from lack of repair and maintainance and yet they are collecting money.

I remember my mum telling us that my uncles caused my grand parents so much grief and they even went as far as hitting my grandma a couple of times, screaming at her, calling her names and generally dis-respecting her. One day my granny grabbed her belly and told them that for every tears she has shed on account of their dis-respect, they will suffer greatly but of course nobody paid it any mind.
My question is this, do curses really work or is this just a typical case of bad luck?
Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by coogar: 2:54pm On Nov 02, 2011
pslm23:

Growing up as a child, it was drummed into my head and the heads of my brothers and sisters, that if we constantly dis-respected our parents and caused them so much grief that they could curse us and that curse would stick. Because of this, I have always respected my elders not just my parents.

A conversation came up yesterday between my sister and i about curses and I remembered 2 of my paternal uncles that are suffering and have been having a hard knock life for most of their lives. Everything they touch always crumbles. They haven't been able to keep a job no longer than 30 days in their lives. They like women too much and women like them too but when it comes to marriage, it's like a brick wall appears. They are well educated men with degrees in Business Admin and Political Science respectively. These men are now in their late 60s and still single and jobless living in our ancestral home in the village. They've rented out all the rooms in that house to students and just as quickly as the money comes in, it goes with nothing to show for it. We have received reports that our home in the village is falling apart from lack of repair and maintainance and yet they are collecting money.

I remember my mum telling us that my uncles caused my grand parents so much grief and they even went as far as hitting my grandma a couple of times, screaming at her, calling her names and generally dis-respecting her. One day my granny grabbed her belly and told them that for every tears she has shed on account of their dis-respect, they will suffer greatly but of course nobody paid it any mind.
My question is this, do curses really work or is this just a typical case of bad luck?

i don't believe curses work. . . .
at the same time, we should respect our elders as we want out juniors to respect us.
the uncle that caused his grannies so much grief and went on to slap them will certainly hit a brick-wall. the grannies don't have to curse him.
karma would!

5 Likes

Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by Outstrip(f): 6:13pm On Nov 02, 2011
It's bull alright. If these uncles actually beat up their parents then what is the suprise that they are not succeeding at anything. They are obviously untrained and have no discipline which is an important factor in achieving anything in life. Nothing to do with anybody grabbing a body part and cursing someone

1 Like

Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by stagger: 9:31am On Nov 03, 2011
Parental curses work!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by Rgp92: 9:33am On Nov 03, 2011
stagger:

Parental curses work!

No it dont. Dont listen to this negro, he got no brain.

2 Likes

Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by bravedude(m): 9:37am On Nov 03, 2011
Sure it does work.

1 Like

Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by ksam(m): 9:39am On Nov 03, 2011
The greatest problem a man can ever have is woman.forget the curse

1 Like

Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by seedord247(m): 10:03am On Nov 03, 2011
what happen is Karma not curse

1 Like

Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by ifyalways(f): 10:05am On Nov 03, 2011
Dunno if curses work but I don't curse my boys and would not tolerate it when anyone else does(I would force you to say the right thing).Stuff like "This child no dey hear word,his ears are for fancy,dis boy go kill me etc" are forbidden in my domain cos I'm a firm believer of power in the tongue and positivity.

3 Likes

Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by KacHemNaU(m): 10:13am On Nov 03, 2011
stagger:

Parental curses work!
it only works for people who believe in it

1 Like

Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by stagger: 10:17am On Nov 03, 2011
Rgp92:

No it dont. Dont listen to this negro, he got no brain.

Well, since you have a brain, I will be glad to pump it out with some lead shots! F[i]o[/i]ol! angry angry
Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by Igosun: 10:21am On Nov 03, 2011
It does especially from mother to a child. That is why it very essential for kids to stay away from anything that will make their parent curse them.
Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by juliebest(f): 10:22am On Nov 03, 2011
Children should respect their elders, parents should not curse their children.

1 Like

Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by biilwwu(m): 10:28am On Nov 03, 2011
My brother curse does not causeless come,and it is wrong to curse your children,Gal 3:13&14
13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
So even your parent cursed ,you can repent seek God no curse will be able to operate in your life.

2 Likes

Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by atasteve: 10:37am On Nov 03, 2011
Honour your father and mother (elders generally) so that you days may be long,

Prosperity and peace come as a result of respecting elders.

At the same time, there is no cause that can't be broken by the power of prayers after true repentance.

2 Likes

Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by blackpanda: 10:37am On Nov 03, 2011
Please stop quoting bible verses, not all of us are christians!

That said, i believe curses only work- in the mental psyche of the recipient. Its easy to fall victim and just blame the challemges that life throws at you on a curse, instead of facing it and rising above it.
If you bliv u are cursed, then u really will be!

But then again, there is the law of karma which says whatever you throw out o the world will inevitably come back to you.

2 Likes

Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by Akingbiz: 10:45am On Nov 03, 2011
Why on earth would you curse your parents.
Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by Nobody: 11:37am On Nov 03, 2011
[size=14pt]If the antonym of Blessing is Curse, and we all believe in blessings, and that blessings work, are we saying Curses dont work? Because they carry a negative connotation?

If i expect my parents blessings on me to work, then if they curse me, it would work too!

But why would my parents want to do that? And why would i exasperate my parents, to the point of them wanting to curse me?

Disrespect to parents is inexcusable. . . Curses or Not!. . .

[/size]
Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by onchefx: 11:47am On Nov 03, 2011
curse CURSE curse i don't believe in it.It is for those who feel cursed that are cursed,God did not curse anybody,and, and nobody is cursed.IT is foolish for parent to curse their children, you curse ur children ur curse ur generation unborn. parent that curse their are fool,the should understand that a child is parcel and enclosed gift,if if u get good one you have little effort to put for training the child,but when you have a bad one the you will need huge effort and the grace of God to train that child,most parent failed in their parental obligation to their children,though some didnt fail but every parent must say positive words toward their children.

3 Likes

Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by mickey339(m): 11:49am On Nov 03, 2011
For as long as U believe in blessing my dear you must also believe in curse.
What profit is it to curse one child and what profit is it to grief one's parent.
Is a point to be known for us all
Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by Kx: 11:51am On Nov 03, 2011
Efficacy of parents blessings and curses on children is real.
Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by Nobody: 11:53am On Nov 03, 2011
Curses don't work. Else pretty much the whole of the Nigerian population would be doomed, most of her citizens have been cursed at some point. Didn't know people still hung on to this primitive belief.

Parents and elders should be respected though, regardless.

1 Like

Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by Nobody: 11:58am On Nov 03, 2011
Honour your father and your mother that your days might be long. Obey your father and mother in the Lord that you may eat the good of the land
Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by Nobody: 12:04pm On Nov 03, 2011
[size=14pt]If curses dont work, do blessings work? #Just asking. . .[/size]
Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by Nobody: 12:13pm On Nov 03, 2011
sexkillz:

[size=14pt]If curses dont work, do blessings work? #Just asking. . .[/size]

I don't believe blessings from man works either. The only blessings that could affect you positively will come from God himself, no middle man required. Unless middle mean speak the only language God understands, it's all a farce.
Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by Nobody: 12:25pm On Nov 03, 2011
Siena:

I don't believe blessings from man works either. The only blessings that could affect you positively will come from God himself, no middle man required. Unless middle mean speak the only language God understands, it's all a farce.

[size=14pt]Technically then, it's safe to assume that since you believe only God could bless me, only God would be able to curse me. Therefore you also believe in curses, but not curses from man.

It's also ok for me to say that my parents arent just any "Man". Any man could bless or curse me, without it having an effect, but my parents?. . . I'd rather not provoke them to find out! grin
[/size]
Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by ZUBBYNWA(m): 12:44pm On Nov 03, 2011
At Poster, I think that the curse usually work sometime especially those grannies.
Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by ezme(m): 1:19pm On Nov 03, 2011
seedord247:

what happen is Karma not curse
If curses aren't real? Is Karma real? When will Karma visit IBB and OBJ?

1 Like

Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by babaijesha: 1:29pm On Nov 03, 2011
Curses work!

Power of life and death is in the tongue, Prov 18; 21.
He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity.Proverbs 21:23
Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by MissyB3(f): 1:38pm On Nov 03, 2011
Call it curse, call it karma, call it nature or whatever, but the principle is the same; You do not act wickedly against others and go scot-free.
Even if they do not use evil words on you, you will eventually get your pay.
What you sow, you reap. . . . What goes around, comes around et cetera are all axioms that support and affirm this principle.
You may not get it in the same way or denomination dished out, but you surely will be compensated.

Of course, some unknown individual cannot sit somewhere, curse me and expect it to work without my permission, but when one makes a hobby out of beating and slighting one's parents, woe betide that soul.

Nothing gladdens my heart more than the weekends my mum wakes me up with a kiss and words of blessing, or when she tiptoes into my room while asleep, lays a hand on my forehead and whispers some prayers, or when we kneel to pray together and she blesses me and my brother. Nothing gladens the heart more than that.  kiss
I bless myself, my biological mother does the same, God witnesses this and gives his consent. . . Who fit curse me?!

The rule is quite simple- Children, obey your parents so that . . . . Your days may be long, it may be well with you, ''You may be obeyed, you may prosper, etc''.
Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by babaijesha: 2:00pm On Nov 03, 2011
ezme:

If curses aren't real? Is Karma real? When will Karma visit IBB and OBJ?

Well, U cant determine the timing.

But one thing is certain; Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. Gal 6;7
Re: Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child by pslm23(f): 2:28pm On Nov 03, 2011
Missy ★ B:

Nothing gladens my heart more than the weekends my mum wakes me up with a kiss and words of blessing, or when she tiptoes into my room while asleep, lays a hand on my forehead and whispers some prayers, or when we kneel to pray together and she blesses me and my brother. Nothing gladens the heart more than that.  kiss
I bless myself, my biological mother does the same, God witnesses this and gives his consent. . . Who fit curse me?!
The rule is quite simple- Children, obey your parents so that . . . . Your days may be long, it may be well with you, ''You may be obeyed, you may prosper, etc''.

I agree with you. Whenever I visit Nigeria, i look forward to the times I will kneel before my grandma and have her place her hand on my head and bless me in the name of our Lord. When my mom was alive, even when we are speaking on the phone, she will always end our conversations by heaping blessings on me.  Everybody has their own opinion and beliefs about whether curses and blessings are for real, I believe that they are. Does this mean that when i have kids i will curse them if they piss me off, No. rather I will pray fro them. But back in those days (the days of my great grand-parents) curses were rampant and people believed in it.
A mother says to a wayward child that has exasperated her to boiling point "your children will do it to you" Is that a curse  or a warning?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Couple Welcome Twins After 14 Years Of Waiting (Photos) / What Have You Lost Interest In Recently? / When Will A Man Enjoy In This Life?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.