Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,684 members, 7,945,108 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 11:18 AM

Why Are The Nigerian Government Doing This? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Are The Nigerian Government Doing This? (735 Views)

What Is Government Doing About This Online Loan Apps That Is Killing Nigerian / I CAUGHT HIM: I Caught My Friend Doing This...He Thought I Won't Know [PHOTO] / Guys, 7 Things We Need To Stop Doing This Year – Nigeria Online Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are The Nigerian Government Doing This? by SuperOnyi: 1:46pm On Jan 06
shocked

NOLLYWOOD??

I never knew Nollywood was this popular — our movie stars like Pawpaw, Aki, Sam Loco (RIP), Mr Ibu, Osufia, Mama gee, and etc are well known all over Africa and the world. I just found out that it wasn't only Nigerians that used Pawpaw classic pictures as memes, Indians, Americans, South Americans, and others did as well.

Are our government not seeing opportunities like this or there's something wrong something? Did neocolonialism also stop us from doing the same thing Hollywood did? When I saw the news that Miss Funke's movies grossed over a billion naira, I was really proud of her but I knew we could do more.

Nigeria has a large population of consumers waiting to grab whatever we put out there as long as we packaged it properly.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The Nigerian Government Doing This? by SuperOnyi: 1:51pm On Jan 06
shocked

Hollywood made us believe everything "American" was the best and countries or people like Russians, Chinese, and Arabs are the bad guys.

Nollywood has what it takes to repackage our image and tell the world how we want them to view us — and still make millions of dollars. Through Nollywood, we can promote our "made in naija" products as the best.

I know you're wondering who these large population of consumers are, right?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The Nigerian Government Doing This? by Sonnobax15(m): 1:52pm On Jan 06
lipsrsealed
Ok
Re: Why Are The Nigerian Government Doing This? by SuperOnyi: 2:03pm On Jan 06
shocked

Do you know that there huge population of blacks spread all over the world? These people are eagerly waiting for any chance to know more about their African origin, I was so proud of Nollywood when I found out Jamaicans, Haitians, and the rest of them knew Nollywood stars better than I do! This is despite its low budget!

Imagine making movies about ancient African histories, or movies portraying us as the best? Look at what South Koreans did, look at what Indians did, what's holding us back? The only government (from what I've read) that invested in Nollywood was Mr Jonathan's adminstration.

We have over a billion blacks all over the world that we can sell our movies to and they would be so happy to pay, especially now a lot of these guys are trying to connect back to their roots.

There are also people of European and Asians descents who would love to know more about ancient Africa, this is why movies like wakanda sold very well. The question is: what exactly is going on? What's going on?

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Nigerian Government Doing This? by brain54(m): 2:10pm On Jan 06
There are opportunities everywhere you look...

In Nigeria. Unfortunately our leaders are lazy and only care about opportunities that put money directly into their personal pockets. It's not only a Nollywood thing but a reflection of the nigerian state.

As it is presently nollywood is probably only tapping into less than 5% of its full potential.

Long way to go!
Re: Why Are The Nigerian Government Doing This? by SuperOnyi: 2:14pm On Jan 06
shocked

I haven't even said anything about Afrobeats, it's just too depressing how you can be inside the river and the bathing soap would still be hurting your eyes.

What about tourism? Dead!
What about agriculture? Just providing unplanned solutions!
What about security?
What about our cultures that could attract visitors?! Underrated!
What about our Made in Naija products?! Demonized!

I was surprised to find that parleG is owned by an Indian company, same thing with Bajaj and a lot of tractor spare parts!

I don't even believe in "One Nigeria" or whatever but it amazes me how the teenage me would do better than Nigerian leaders.

Mama Waliyat was right after all, I will just focus on building myself, and doing just like Ecclesiastes 10 vs 16—17 advised.
Re: Why Are The Nigerian Government Doing This? by SuperOnyi: 2:24pm On Jan 06
brain54:
There are opportunities everywhere you look...

In Nigeria. Unfortunately our leaders are lazy and only care about opportunities that put money directly into their personal pockets. It's not only a Nollywood thing but a reflection of the nigerian state.

As it is presently nollywood is probably only tapping into less than 5% of its full potential.

Long way to go!

shocked

Bro, even a 16 year old me would do better than these Nigerian leaders! The year I found out Nigerians were easy to rule was 2020, they were locked up and denied access to the relief materials, if they dared to go out — the soldiers would beat them up.

When they stormed the warehouses, some of them were shot... If this happened in America, it would be bloodier than anything ever seen before.

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Nigerian Government Doing This? by brain54(m): 2:35pm On Jan 06
SuperOnyi:

shocked

Bro, even a 16 year old me would do better than these Nigerian leaders! The year I found out Nigerians were easy to rule was 2020, they were locked up and denied access to the relief materials, if they dared to go out — the soldiers would beat them up.

When they stormed the warehouses, some of them were shot... If this happened in America, it would be bloodier than anything ever seen before.
Buhari won't agree with you o...

He claims nigerians are the most difficult bunch to rule. He even compared us to cattle.

Seriously though I think a lot of of nigerians over the years have lost faith in our leaders and are no more ready to put up resistance. They just do a "siddon look approach".

Nigerians no more have high hopes or expectations from leaders.

Even those basic things like electricity, water and roads the leaders have failed In providing.

Nigeria needs a Savior!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The Nigerian Government Doing This? by SuperOnyi: 2:43pm On Jan 06
brain54:

Buhari won't agree with you o...

He claims nigerians are the most difficult bunch to rule. He even compared us to cattle.

Seriously though I think a lot of of nigerians over the years have lost faith in our leaders and are no more ready to put up resistance. They just do a "siddon look approach".

Nigerians no more have high hopes or expectations from leaders.

Even those basic things like electricity, water and roads the leaders have failed In providing.

Nigeria needs a Savior!

shocked

I wonder if there are people who really think like me in Nigeria, honestly when I see Caucasians saying "blacks cannot rule themselves"; I feel like doing something crazy.

I read somewhere that Nigeria had so much money in 70s (or was it 80s) that they announced Nigeria had more money than it needed! But these losers couldn't put out a blueprint for industrialization? Jesus Christ!

What exactly is wrong? What's wrong? What's wrong? Are Africans really cursed? I don't think they are, or is it the "European" blood in me speaking?
Re: Why Are The Nigerian Government Doing This? by brain54(m): 2:51pm On Jan 06
SuperOnyi:

shocked

I wonder if there are people who really think like me in Nigeria, honestly when I see Caucasians saying "blacks cannot rule themselves"; I feel like doing something crazy.

I read somewhere that Nigeria had so much money in 70s (or was it 80s) that they announced Nigeria had more money than it needed! But these losers couldn't put out a blueprint for industrialization? Jesus Christ!

What exactly is wrong? What's wrong? What's wrong? Are Africans really cursed? I don't think they are, or is it the "European" blood in me speaking?
I can bet it's probably the European blood..

To be fair though Most Nigerians will do great exploits in a well working environment/system!

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Nigerian Government Doing This? by SuperOnyi: 3:04pm On Jan 06
brain54:

I can bet it's probably the European blood..

To be fair though Most Nigerians will do great exploits in a well working environment/system!

shocked

Certainly, bro!

A lot of Nigerians abroad are doing wonders! I mean, look at people like ilegend.d (panso.phist and others) on nairaland... Bro's so underrated yet has that leadership skill and a brain that works.

Are Nigerians trying to tell the world that there's no corruption in the United States? There are corruption everywhere in the world! Look at countries like Chile that are called "third world country" by some Nigerians but when you look at their streets — you wouldn't find trash in the gutters... Maybe except for their dirty slums.

I mean... Early European explorers praised the Benin empire for its cleanliness and orderliness. Whatever happened to us?
Re: Why Are The Nigerian Government Doing This? by brain54(m): 3:17pm On Jan 06
SuperOnyi:

shocked

Certainly, bro!

A lot of Nigerians abroad are doing wonders! I mean, look at people like ilegend.d (panso.phist and others) on nairaland... Bro's so underrated yet has that leadership skill and a brain that works.

Are Nigerians trying to tell the world that there's no corruption in the United States? There are corruption everywhere in the world! Look at countries like Chile that are called "third world country" by some Nigerians but when you look at their streets — you wouldn't find trash in the gutters... Maybe except for their dirty slums.

I mean... Early European explorers praised the Benin empire for its cleanliness and orderliness. Whatever happened to us?
Speaking of the Benin empire...

Possibly the system/culture we embraced from the whites was alien to what was being practiced.

I believe if Africa had developed in her own pace and time eventually we would have developed a better system than even the whites would still be in awe of.

I still believe for real development to take place Africa need to go back to some of her original ways of doing things. What we practice today is foreign or imported cultural values.

Africa needs to reinvent itself to become relevant in the scheme of things.

Alot to say about all of this... But let's not derail your beautiful thread!

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Nigerian Government Doing This? by CandidAdmin(m): 3:34pm On Jan 06
Demand from Nigeria is low.
We only have 81 cinemas while US has 5k+.
Also our pirates are still there.
Standard of living is low.
Some Nigerians don't even know what happens in a cinema.
Fix this before you start thinking of fixing any idelogy
Re: Why Are The Nigerian Government Doing This? by SuperOnyi: 3:43pm On Jan 06
brain54:

Speaking of the Benin empire...

Possibly the system/culture we embraced from the whites was alien to what was being practiced.

I believe if Africa had developed in her own pace and time eventually we would have developed a better system than even the whites would still be in awe of.

I still believe for real development to take place Africa need to go back to some of her original ways of doing things. What we practice today is foreign or imported cultural values.

Africa needs to reinvent itself to become relevant in the scheme of things.

Alot to say about all of this... But let's not derail your beautiful thread!

shocked

Why not so exactly what the Chinese and other Asians did? Honestly, I find it really surprising a people with great histories would be so uncreative. Look at these leaders, they don't encourage nothing — not even archaeology to understand how our ancestors managed to survive on their own and even started iron melting on their own.

We have one advantage our ancestors didn't have — we're very connected with the rest of the world and have people all over the planet who look up to us. We have knowledge about things our ancestors didn't understand, we have many ways to make revenues.

We have our own culture and understand that of others which can help us understand how to deal diplomatically with the global powers. If the Ashanti empire had the same advantage we've got today, they would do exactly the same thing the Japanese did.

I'm sorry but I can't just stop thinking what exactly is wrong! Look at the Ashkenazi "Jews", these guys were literally away from their "ancestral land" for thousands of years but they kept passing down this story from generation to generation—the goal was to get back to Jerusalem and pray.

They finally did this, resurrected the Hebrew language... Look at Israel today... Hate them or love them, you just gotta respect them for milking any opportunity that comes their way.
Re: Why Are The Nigerian Government Doing This? by SuperOnyi: 3:49pm On Jan 06
CandidAdmin:
Demand from Nigeria is low.

We only have 81 cinemas while US has 5k+.

Also our pirates are still there.

Standard of living is low.

Some Nigerians don't even know what happens in a cinema.

Fix this before you start thinking of fixing any idelogy

shocked

Nollywood was able to achieve what they did despite the high rate of piracy and without cinemas — this is why we need the government to step in!

I came across Emeka Ike's recent interview and he explained how a single government policy affected the industry, the government are just too focused on God know what even though the world is becoming less dependent on oil—it's a gradual process.

With just a single policy, the government can help reduce piracy. Go to YouTube and see old Nigerian movies being uploaded by YouTubers, the comments section is full of foreigners.
Re: Why Are The Nigerian Government Doing This? by CandidAdmin(m): 6:57pm On Jan 06
SuperOnyi:

Nollywood was able to achieve what they did despite the high rate of piracy and without cinemas — this is why we need the government to step in!
I came across Emeka Ike's recent interview and he explained how a single government policy affected the industry, the government are just too focused on God knows what even though the world is becoming less dependent on oil—it's a gradual process
With just a single policy, the government can help reduce piracy. Go to YouTube and see old Nigerian movies being uploaded by YouTubers, the comments section is full of foreigners.

Sorry but we can't help change any Ideology without cinemas or streaming apps that are known globally.

You can easily get your film removed on youtube if it doesn't suit the west. You are right tho!
Dude have you seen videos of black kids claiming the black men are nothing?
Just becoz of the stupid government we have in africa?

We can't rely on them!

It's going to be hardwork.

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Nigerian Government Doing This? by SuperOnyi: 8:00pm On Jan 06
CandidAdmin:

Sorry but we can't help change any Ideology without cinemas or streaming apps that are known globally.

You can easily get your film removed on youtube if it doesn't suit the west. You are right tho!
Dude have you seen videos of black kids claiming the black men are nothing?
Just becoz of the stupid government we have in africa?

We can't rely on them!

It's going to be hardwork.

shocked

I pointed out to the videos on YouTube because it got me wondering if they were copyrighted—these are classic movies that will never become old fashioned despite its low camera quality.

We should first deal with the situation in Nigeria and others will get the message, when those Nollywood guys started making movies in Enugu and Lagos; they weren't thinking of the Caribbean but Nigeria. That didn't stop Aki and Pawpaw from becoming well known over there.

The government can secretly assist them to create our own streaming platform, we shouldn't always rely on foreign apps — look at China!

I swear this is just too easy, we just don't know how powerful we are!
Re: Why Are The Nigerian Government Doing This? by CandidAdmin(m): 8:13pm On Jan 06
SuperOnyi:

I pointed out to the videos on YouTube because it got me wondering if they were copyrighted—these are classic movies that will never become old fashioned despite its low camera quality.

We should first deal with the situation in Nigeria and others will get the message, when those Nollywood guys started making movies in Enugu and Lagos; they weren't thinking of the Caribbean but Nigeria. That didn't stop Aki and Pawpaw from becoming well known over there.

The government can secretly assist them to create our own streaming platform, we shouldn't always rely on foreign apps — look at China!

I swear this is just too easy, we just don't know how powerful we are!

I've seen some of those videos too.
But...

Without a sane government, we're powerless.
Fact!

We have streaming apps but...

Damn, We have a long way to go!

(1) (Reply)

I Have A Lovley Girlfriend At Calabar N Am At Owerri. She Always Tell M How Much She Luv M, Mis M Et / Does She Love Me? / Guys How Would You Handle This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.