Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,867 members, 7,872,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 01:31 AM

N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer (19985 Views)

N585 Million Fraud: Tinubu Will Take Final Decision - APC Governors / FG Begins Payment Of N585 Million Fine For Release Of 4,000 Inmates Nationwide / Buhari Halts $418 Million Payment To Consultants On Paris Club Refund (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by jumper524(m): 11:18pm On Jan 06
keeper303:

I quite agree with you. Look at the sequence of the allegations. The former minister was invited for questioning but refused to go. All of a sudden, allegations surfaced that the current minister is complit in fraud.
its easy to debunk such rumours to the trash especially if its just rumours. but her response says otherwise. you dont ignore rumour mongers if you are of high value and interest to the public.
Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by bitbillionaire: 11:18pm On Jan 06
Judging from the Accountant-general's claim that Edu's instruction to pay the N585.2 million into the project Accountant's private bank account was not followed; meaning, they did not make the payment contrary to rumours flying around the social media; I am tempted to believe the woman is being falsely and unfairly accused by mischief makers.

The initial impression I had was that she personally transferred the money into somebody's private account for fraudulent motive. But I later discovered that she only sent a memo to Accountant-general of the Federation instructing her to make the payment, not into her personal account, nor into private account of any of her family members or friends, but into the account of the project Accountant for the Grants for Vulnerable Groups in the Ministry of Finance. And the memo clearly specified the purpose of the transfer and the beneficiary groups in Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Lagos and Ogun.

While we all know that the law forbids public fund being transferred into a private account, it's important to note that:

1) the money has not even been paid yet (according to the Accountant-general).

2) it's possible she was made to believe that that was the way things are done in the ministry and she could have been misled into sending such instruction to the Accountant-general.

3) after going through the memo she sent to the Accountant-general, I have a feeling that Edu probably had no ulterior motive. She was most likely naive and ignorant of the law and implication of what she was doing.

The investigation should continue to it's logical conclusion. If the money is discovered to have already been paid into the private account both Edu and the Accountant-general and even the project Accountant should be fired and the money recovered. Otherwise, she should be freed.

1 Like

Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by VULCAN(m): 11:23pm On Jan 06
I have not been able to find anyone who knows anyone who had received Betta's cash.

I don't need to say more

PressMyButton:
Wike, Umahi, Tunji-ojo, you've got to watch your back. Opposition is never happy seeing you deliver creditably, they try every ways possible to throw the spanner in the wheels. Since Betta took over, she has opened up various programmes, added more beneficiaries into the welfare packages, more impressively is the introduction of retired security personnels, widows of gallant soldiers who died on the field, including previously neglected soldiers whose limps were lost in battle, giving them a new lease of life. My advice to the opposition is, let people work and stop the distractions. Sponsoring media propaganda against top notch performers is a poor tactics and a wrong use of money. Betta is a moving train.

1 Like

Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by Judolisco(m): 11:24pm On Jan 06
PressMyButton:
Wike, Umahi, Tunji-ojo, you've got to watch your back. Opposition is never happy seeing you deliver creditably, they try every ways possible to throw the spanner in the wheels. Since Betta took over, she has opened up various programmes, added more beneficiaries into the welfare packages, more impressively is the introduction of retired security personnels, widows of gallant soldiers who died on the field, including previously neglected soldiers whose limps were lost in battle, giving them a new lease of life. My advice to the opposition is, let people work and stop the distractions. Sponsoring media propaganda against top notch performers is a poor tactics and a wrong use of money. Betta is a moving train.
d minister is clearly a novice and like u said she should thread carefully.... I think she doesn't listen to anyone if not why would she want to transfer dis huge amount of money to a private account

1 Like

Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by fitinwell: 11:37pm On Jan 06
The Wind as already Started blowing the Flow yansh Open...

Pastor E.A Adeboye prophecy 2024 for our Great Nation Nigeria...
Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by danowena: 12:31am On Jan 07
Was she not the one that gave testimony at Shiloh?
Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by atiku07(m): 12:40am On Jan 07
bitbillionaire:
Judging from the Accountant-general's claim that Edu's instruction to pay the N585.2 million into the project Accountant's private bank account was not followed; meaning, they did not make the payment contrary to rumours flying around the social media; I am tempted to believe the woman is being falsely and unfairly accused by mischief makers.

The initial impression I had was that she personally transferred the money into somebody's private account for fraudulent motive. But I later discovered that she only sent a memo to Accountant-general of the Federation instructing her to make the payment, not into her personal account, nor into private account of any of her family members or friends, but into the account of the project Accountant for the Grants for Vulnerable Groups in the Ministry of Finance. And the memo clearly specified the purpose of the transfer and the beneficiary groups in Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Lagos and Ogun.

While we all know that the law forbids public fund being transferred into a private account, it's important to note that:

2) it's possible she was made to believe that that was the way things are done in the ministry and she could have been misled into sending such instruction to the Accountant-general.

3) after going through the memo she sent to the Accountant-general, I have a feeling that Edu probably had no ulterior motive. She was most likely naive and ignorant of the law and implication of what she was doing.

The investigation should continue to it's logical conclusion. If the money is discovered to have already been paid into the private account both Edu and the Accountant-general and even the project Accountant should be fired and the money recovered. Otherwise, she should be freed.

U are the only person that understands what is going on here, someone is dictating a tune somewhere because this same woman opened a can of worms for madam sadiya for minister on her Power fraud, also the recently sacked woman seems to be working in cahoots with sadiya to bring her down. This woman got approvals but those behind this knew what they are doing they know Nigerians are so sentimental asper zombies they won't ask questions. The money was meant to be paid to project accountant for onward delivery to beneficiaries and from submission of the AG no fund was released. However there has not been any rebuttal that funds were released to her or not which shows the AG was correct. All I see here was a setup for some ppl to escape been prosecuted also fear the civil servant they are crazy ppl once u try to block loopholes they would set u up big time, see how they fvcked Umahi up ever since man has been silent. If Asiwaju wants to achieve anything reasonable he needs to first purge the civil service đź’Ż

1 Like

Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by frog12: 2:20am On Jan 07
and she's trying to use that to steal grin grin grin

PressMyButton:

1 Like

Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by aribisala0(m): 3:17am On Jan 07
bitbillionaire:

You are not making sense
If a person phones an assassin to kill somebody and the assassin decided not to do it
That means that the person is being FALSELY and UNFAIRLY accused? That is YOUR logic

It sounds senseles

Factually The woman has confirmed she did give that instruction

So what exactly is the false accusation

Whether the instruction was followed is IRRELEVANT in law if the instruction is criminal . What matters is the concept of MENS REA

In the 80ds Mamman Vatsa was executed for PLANNING a coup he did not execute or even attempt it .

What you are saying is unreasonable and it stinks

2 Likes

Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by BrighterSyde: 3:40am On Jan 07
PressMyButton:

You didn’t say anything about her breaking the constitution by sending money to a private account. Or you are blind to corruption just because you want to support?
Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by udumosam23(m): 4:31am On Jan 07
Gajagojo:

Irrelevant and sentimental
Does Bette owe the public an explanation?
This particular ministry is very sensitive and needs a person with competence and integrity
At the very least Beta has shown incompetence if we want to be kind to her
What would be a good achievement for any person in her position
To work with interior Ministry to put together a Social Register based on NIN that Nigerians trust.
If that was in place we would not be having this conversation
We should very quickly ensure that all Adults have a bank account and look into option for those in Rural area.

Do you trust the NIN process? Has the ministry of interior gotten it right? Is there a correct template for dispatching such monies?

I guess her only fault was bypassing some individuals who also claimed right to the loot. Much as I blame her for not being discreet, so far she has been trying perform.
Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by UKEMY(m): 4:52am On Jan 07
PressMyButton:
You are a terrible human being o, did you read what the Op wrote with evidence ?
Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by ABC101FF: 5:14am On Jan 07
PressMyButton:
I'm surprised. Normally, frustration leads to depression but with you, reverse is the case. Why am I even surprised? Anyone who voted Buhari twice and went ahead to vote Tinubu will most definitely exhibit aberrant tendencies. Memorize this, September comes before October.

NOTE: This is for you, Gajagojo and the rest of your ilk.
Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by Originalsly: 5:19am On Jan 07
.y question is if the money was paid into the personal account (which is wrong) ... and from there to be transferred to the different LGAs or whatever .... why was the money not transferred? Did the .Inkster follow up to ensure the money was forwarded? How long was the money sitting in the account? Why wasn't it transferred? What instructions were given by the Minister?.... and this will be a game changer ... depending on the answer ... we will know which one is the mastermind.
Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by Jeboy(m): 5:25am On Jan 07
Why are you allowing political sentiment to block your common sense?

In the current Nigeria, has she followed due process by paying such amount into a private account?

It's glaring you live by the crumbs. Shame on your likes.

And pls stop classifying Dr Tunji Ojo our best performing minister with Betty, he can never be found with such abuse of office. He's a due process champion.

PressMyButton:
Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by DLuciano: 5:30am On Jan 07
PressMyButton:
You are a liar, you too is fraudulent!
Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by Bluntemperor: 5:58am On Jan 07
PressMyButton:

You have spoken well,bro!
My friend working with one of the Federal Govt the MIDAS said '' If I am in the govt as a Minister or Permanent Secretary,I will sack all the Workers who is on level 12- below because they are the ones,who always shows the ways and where the Ogas,can make Money and in fact,they Corrupt any New Management Members ''
-For example, Furniture Allowances is for 3 or 4years,so how and why should any Govt Institution be buying Furnitures through their Budgets Every year,just like anything they used to place/ insert in the Budgets to Steal? Just Corruption!
•Dr Edu should learn how to follow the law because those Workers are used to Corruption and they will misdirected her but she should be focused!
-Now,how do you trace the so called 1.5 Million People - the Funds/ Money - given to these Vulnerable People?
- Why has the Palliatives Money for the Workers and Retired-Pensioners Not paid yet,since your Ministry have gotten the Money,so why the delay?
•Most of the Nigeria Governors are yet to pay the Palliatives approved by Federal Govt but why?
-So much questions are yet to be answered by those keeping the Palliatives approved Money, even the Governors,after all ,we NIGERIANS elected them and is our Duty to know how our Money is being Utilised!
God help NIGERIANS!
Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by dikings(m): 6:14am On Jan 07
And Why Should the accountant general of the federation honor such request? Does he not understand that the law is against such fraudulent transaction? All of them are the same. Janja weeds set of chop i chop leaders
angry
Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by zombieHUNTER: 6:50am On Jan 07
favor914:
Honestly, I just pity you.

pity your shithole
Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by Maj196(m): 7:13am On Jan 07
Very foolish and useless woman
Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by DIntegrity: 7:23am On Jan 07
I don't care what anyone's bias is concerning this..if you like instigate opposition for playing a hand in this issues.
If you don't know, know it now, that In a stable system you need both supporters & oppositions as well, willing to make public your mistakes.
This will make everyone sit up. Besides the current administration is no where perfect, so don't excuse them all because you love them.

It's clear from the highlighted facts that she breached protocols.
So she has to answer for it.
Everything points to some form of fraudulence we're yet to grasp fully.
No justification for her actions.
Because she revealed a fraudulent activity earlier doesn't exempt her form being a fraud as well.
Incase you don't know, It's the same party running the country for the past 9yrs, you'd be so foolish to be talking only party party, opposition.

Let's face facts and stop saying opposition party- common sense
Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by DIntegrity: 7:27am On Jan 07
PressMyButton:

I don't care what anyone's bias is concerning this..if you like instigate opposition for playing a hand in this issues.
If you don't know, know it now, that In a stable system you need both supporters & oppositions as well, willing to make public your mistakes.
This will make everyone sit up. Besides the current administration is no where perfect, so don't excuse them all because you love them.

It's clear from the highlighted facts that she breached protocols.
So she has to answer for it.
Everything points to some form of fraudulence we're yet to grasp fully.
No justification for her actions.
Because she revealed a fraudulent activity earlier doesn't exempt her form being a fraud as well.
Incase you don't know, It's the same party running the country for the past 9yrs, you'd be so foolish to be talking only party party, opposition.

Let's face facts and stop saying opposition party- common sense
Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by AliEzeOlu: 8:03am On Jan 07
dre11:
Nigeria’s Financial Regulations 2009 says, “Any officer who pays public money into a private account is deemed to have done so with fraudulent intention.”

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/656659-n585-2-million-payment-the-questions-minister-beta-edu-must-answer.html

Previous thread:

We Did Not Make The Payments As Requested By Minister, Edu - Accountant-General

Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account

Foul Stench Of Buhari: Tinubu Must Fire Betta Edu - Kperogi

Right from the day she was appointed, my instincts have always told me how catastrophic a minister this lady (yes, she's still single) would be.

At her age, look at all the painty painty she does. By the way, to me, she seems like a woman who would be so rude and disrespectful to those around her.
Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by poseidon12: 8:09am On Jan 07
PressMyButton:

A thief supporting a thief. No surprise there.
Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by johnog4sure: 8:11am On Jan 07
PressMyButton:
First we would like to see list of beneficiaries, secondly if they are working very well does that permit them to steal very well as well?
Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by pquaver(m): 8:11am On Jan 07
StrongAlphMale:
If Nigeria was sane like China, Japan and North Korea, that woman would have since been killed live on national TV by now.

Exactly same with peter obi who paid anambra money into the daughters account in tax haven till date obidients worship him.. She is following peter obi footsteps
Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by poseidon12: 8:11am On Jan 07
Loverboi2cute:
Strongly Politically Orchestratized! Seems d woman is up & doing in her field,, maybe she dey deliver

Well am not surprised, considering d bunch of Crâzy-Criminals, greedy fòols circle-rotating in d system... anti-progress of d society; elites making moves @ d detriment of d public

Well i don decide say Naija Politics matter no go see my attention collect dis Year! GodFooorrbbbiiiiid!

... lots of BrainStorming! to initiate bizz strategic moves, na eem dey on board now... Men mount 4 thinking room

If life throws u lemons, make lemonades out of dem
If Naija show u pepper🌶️ 🌶️, nwannem make pepper-soup outta dem

Thieves will support their own, of course.
Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by lexy2014: 8:12am On Jan 07
PressMyButton:

which opposition are you referring to and what has opposition got to do with this matter?

what are the various programmes that Betta has opened up and who are the beneficiaries of these "welfare packages"?

how has the "introduction of retired security personnels, widows of gallant soldiers who died on the field, including previously neglected soldiers whose limps were lost in battle" given widows of soldiers and retired personnel a new lease of life?

how is she a "top notch performer" and what is the propaganda being sponsored against her?

if you are accusing your imaginary opposition of wrong use of their own money, how then are you not accusing Betta of wrong use of government funds by approving the transfer of N500b into the account of an individual contravening civil service laws?
Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by lexy2014: 8:16am On Jan 07
Loverboi2cute:
Strongly Politically Orchestratized! Seems d woman is up & doing in her field,, maybe she dey deliver

Well am not surprised, considering d bunch of Crâzy-Criminals, greedy fòols circle-rotating in d system... anti-progress of d society; elites making moves @ d detriment of d public

Well i don decide say Naija Politics matter no go see my attention collect dis Year! GodFooorrbbbiiiiid!

... lots of BrainStorming! to initiate bizz strategic moves, na eem dey on board now... Men mount 4 thinking room

If life throws u lemons, make lemonades out of dem
If Naija show u pepper🌶️ 🌶️, nwannem make pepper-soup outta dem

how is this issue "politically orchestrated"?

who orchestrated it?

how is she up and doing in her field?

according to you "i don decide say Naija Politics matter no go see my attention collect dis Year! GodFooorrbbbiiiiid!" but the same you is saying "Well am not surprised, considering d bunch of Crâzy-Criminals, greedy fòols circle-rotating in d system... anti-progress of d society; elites making moves @ d detriment of d public".

how did you arrive at your conclusion?
Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by poseidon12: 8:18am On Jan 07
Gajagojo:
I will not defend Edu on this
On the surface it looks dodgy and the public need an explanation

I just want to talk about the wording of the law and some of the discussion in abstract terms
1 What is a PRIVATE ACCOUNT. Is this PERSONAL account only or can it include companies, clubs,churches,NGOs etc?
2. What is public money? E.g if the government is owing a community money and pays the money to a traditional ruler,legislator etc is that money government money or the money of the creditors. Let us not forget that salaries are paid into personal accounts. So arguably salaries are not public money but belong to the PAYEE S
These and many other potential legal loopholes are what we need to identify and block in future

You are asking needless questions. There is no confusion about what is public or private account and I am sure you know that. The law is also not ambiguous. What just happened is barefaced fraud. Don't try to get clever with us.
Re: N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer by poseidon12: 8:22am On Jan 07
EdiskyHarry:
I keep saying this, if you want to do anything serious, don't give a woman any sensitive position.
Npower as a program was running very well under osinbajo, untill sadiya destroyed the program, now beta is about to burry it.

Don't generalize. Criminals like Betta Edu and Sadiya are not representatives of the Nigerian women. Majority of the Nigerian criminals are men.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PDP Wins 13 Plateau Assembly Seats, Speaker Loses To APC Candidate / Akwa Ibom Assembly To Induct Hilda Baci Into Hall Of Fame / 12 PDP Governors May Join APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.