Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,759 members, 7,905,814 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 06:57 PM

Central HVAC Systems Vs Mini-split? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Central HVAC Systems Vs Mini-split? (75 Views)

Seal the holes by your HVAC, Windows & door frames with Expansion PU Foam Spray. / Cold Storage. Coldroom Warehouse, HVAC Temperature Monitoring Systems / What Type Of Split Air Conditioner Can This Generator Power? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Central HVAC Systems Vs Mini-split? by jackaustin631: 6:00pm On Jan 16
I recently purchased a new house, and I'm going step by step upgrading what I can afford at the time. My heating is hydronic baseboard powered by a 30 year old peerless boiler burning oil. I have no air conditioning at the moment, nor ductwork. My boiler is insufficient and I've already had to spend a few hundred fixing it, so it's on my short list of things to replace. Right above it is adding air conditioning.

Assuming I need to replace my boiler, I figured I might as well do both at the same time and install the air conditioning and boiler in one go. This leaves me with a few options- do I keep the hydronic baseboard and get a new oil boiler, and add in ductwork for central air? Or go with mini-split for central air? Or replace the oil boiler completely and go with a furnace and ductwork for propane forced air and central air?

My house is built in the late 80's in New England, it's 3000 Sq FT 4 bedrooms, a very rectangular colonial with a walkup attic and open basement, so adding ductwork would probably be easy if I put a unit in the attic and a unit in the basement.

I love certain things about baseboard hydronic, and I hate certain things about it, so I'm neutral. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Re: Central HVAC Systems Vs Mini-split? by jackaustin631: 6:02pm On Jan 16
jackaustin631:
I recently purchased a new house, and I'm going step by step upgrading what I can afford at the time. My heating is hydronic baseboard powered by a 30 year old peerless boiler burning oil. I have no air conditioning at the moment, nor ductwork. My boiler is insufficient and I've already had to spend a few hundred fixing it with the help of Everest Heating & Cooling, so it's on my short list of things to replace. Right above it is adding air conditioning.

Assuming I need to replace my boiler, I figured I might as well do both at the same time and install the air conditioning and boiler in one go. This leaves me with a few options- do I keep the hydronic baseboard and get a new oil boiler, and add in ductwork for central air? Or go with mini-split for central air? Or replace the oil boiler completely and go with a furnace and ductwork for propane forced air and central air?

My house is built in the late 80's in New England, it's 3000 Sq FT 4 bedrooms, a very rectangular colonial with a walkup attic and open basement, so adding ductwork would probably be easy if I put a unit in the attic and a unit in the basement.

I love certain things about baseboard hydronic, and I hate certain things about it, so I'm neutral. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
thanks in advance for any help

(1) (Reply)

Locate Land Beacons In Ilorin / Price Increment Alert: Fairmont Green And Smart City | Opposite Lekki Internatio / *TO-LET* Mini Flat @ Ebute Metta East. Rent: 1.5m, A Year. Àgency Fee: 250k Leg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.