Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,764 members, 7,875,921 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:04 AM

AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON (15873 Views)

Seyi Olofinjana: Super Eagles Have No Identity Under Rohr / Super Eagles Have Reached The Semi-Finals In 15 Out Of 18 AFCON Appearances / Mikel Obi: 'I Have Beaten Messi At Club Level, I Hope To Do It Again Today’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by Triangles1(m): 5:08pm On Jan 19
I'm not convinced about Nigeria winning, they should brace up because of quarter final.
Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by ManOfSon: 6:03pm On Jan 19
I'm pretty sure you can handle a joke 😃

Deogratiasfx:

Am I arguing with anyone on this?
Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by kernniejay(m): 8:19pm On Jan 19
robosky02:

That was my second AFCON I watched

After watching Algeria 1990 from the window those days

When Algeria hammered us
Opening match 5-1
Finals 1-0

I started having interest in soccer during Italia 90. I remember watching USA 94 (midnight used to be like daytime 'cos people are awake watching matches), Tunisia 94, Atlanta 96 (Olympics), France 98 Nigeria/Ghana 99. Japan/Korea 2002, Germany 2006 (Euro), South Africa 2010. Russia 2018 and lastly Qatar 2022 (excluding Nigerian team).
Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by godwon01(m): 9:06pm On Jan 19
robosky02:
Omo that year we beat Senegal 2-1 at the. AFCON opening game

It was incredible
I still remembered that goal from late Stephen Keshi , from outside box 18. Powerful shot at goal. The stadium silent like a grave yard. What pains me was our semi final against Ghana. Mutiu had scored with his head and Ghana equalized . Abedi Pelle scored to make it two goals to one.
Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by godwon01(m): 9:07pm On Jan 19
Deogratiasfx:

We have senior men amongst us here o. Then I did not even know there is any call football.
We are plenty here .

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by Umuinyioku: 1:42pm On Jan 20
robosky02:
AFCON 2023: Three times the Super Eagles have beaten host Nations at AFCON

The Super Eagles of Nigeria have had a remarkable history in the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON), including some memorable victories against host nations.

Playing against host countries is never an easy feat, as you will have to go up against both the players on the pitch and an overwhelming number of home fans.

The Super Eagles have managed to overcome this situation a couple of times in AFCON history, going against the odds and coming off with a victory.

Here are three times the Super Eagles have secured victory against the host country

First time:
Senegal 1-2 Nigeria (1992, Group stage)

One of the most notable victories for the Super Eagles against a host nation occurred in 1992 during the group stage of the AFCON. The match against Senegal saw Nigeria emerge victorious with a scoreline of 2-1. This game was a display of determination and skill, as the Super Eagles managed to outplay the hosts on their own turf.

Samson Siasia gave the Super Eagles an early lead in the 13th minute, but it did not last long as Senegal’s striker Jules Bocandé restored parity before half time. With the game looking to end in a stalemate, Stephen Keshi found the net in the 89th to secure a first-ever win against a host nation at the AFCON for Nigeria.

Second Time:

Mali 0-1 Nigeria (2002, Third-place playoff)

Nigeria’s second triumph against a host nation at the AFCON was in 2002 during a third-place playoff match against Mali. Nigeria secured a win with a 1-0 scoreline, thanks to a decisive goal from Yakubu Aiyegbeni in the 29th minute.

This match was particularly noteworthy for how tight it was and the high stakes, with Nigeria managing to clinch third place in the tournament. It was Nigeria’s second game against the hosts, Mali, at that tournament, as both teams had met earlier in the group stage, and it ended goalless.

Third time:

Ivory Coast 0-1 Nigeria (2023, Group Stage)

At the Africa Cup of Nations on Thursday, Nigeria defeated Ivory Coast 1-0 thanks to a penalty kick in the second half by William Troost-Ekong.
The Super Eagles recorded another win against a host nation at the 2023 AFCON when they beat Ivory Coast in their second group game. Nigeria secured a 1-0 victory courtesy of a spot kick that was converted by William Troost-Ekong in the 55th minute of the game. The win took Nigeria to four points after two group games, a massive victory against all odds.

https://www.pulsesports.ng/football/story/afcon-2023-three-times-the-super-eagles-have-beaten-host-nations-at-afcon-2024011820485942790
robosky2,kudos. You're real soccer encyclopedia.

Thank you for educating us.

May your pen never go dry.

Happy New Year.
Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by Umuinyioku: 1:51pm On Jan 20
robosky02:

That was my second AFCON I watched

After watching Algeria 1990 from the window those days

When Algeria hammered us
Opening match 5-1
Finals 1-0

robosky2,you're soccer encyclopedia.

I suggest you let Glass House know that it's imperative we include Home Boys in Eagles because some of them are better than the imported players.

Stanley Nwabali is home made,even though he plies his trade in South Africa with Chippa United. He played with FC Go Round Abuja, Enyimba and Katsina United. There are good legs at home that needs to be encouraged.
Egypt has 19 Home Based players. South Africa 17. Ditto Algeria and Morocco.
Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by Umuinyioku: 1:53pm On Jan 20
robosky02:

That year Senegal has Jules Bocandé thier star man before
El Hadji Diuf and Sadio Mane

Julehs Bocandé with his dreadlocks was every where with the president watching from the stance.
Until Stephen Keshi silent them on the 89th minutes and Nigeria won 2-1
Hmmmm

Senior man, I salute!
Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by Umuinyioku: 1:59pm On Jan 20
ManOfSon:
You should have held your peace, bro. I watched the 1982 finals when Nigeria beat Algeria for our first ever Afcon cup. Before that game, I didn't even know who the hell was Segun Odegbami. I only followed Spartans of Owerri.

ManOfSon, I hail o. You're a respected elder in the House.

Salute!
Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by ManOfSon: 2:04pm On Jan 20
Good. Now you can go bring that bottle of Schnapps to receive an elder's blessing.

Umuinyioku:
ManOfSon, I hail o. You're a respected elder in the House.

Salute!
Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by Umuinyioku: 2:09pm On Jan 20
ManOfSon:
Good. Now you can go bring that bottle of Schnapps to receive an elder's blessing.

Lol

I will.

Happy New Year
Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by ManOfSon: 2:19pm On Jan 20
Happy New Year to you as well.

Umuinyioku:
Lol

I will.

Happy New Year
Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by Umuinyioku: 2:30pm On Jan 20
ManOfSon:
Happy New Year to you as well.

Thanks Elder.

May your days be long on earth. Amiiiiin. Iseeee!
Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by AbuAeesha: 3:43pm On Jan 20
otipoju:
Samuel Chukwueze is the most selfish footballer I have ever seen.

Has always has zero intentions and desire to pass to a team mate in a better position to score. What a horrible team mate.

He is a great liability to any team. He will rob you of vital goals with his na me score am attitude.

The only way to use him is as a substituite to be brought on after you have won by two so he can carry opponents to run and waste time.

No end product for the guy at all

But I believe chukwueze played a vital role in making the referee check VAR and awarding us the PK, by stopping the ball to ensure the referee Check on Osimhen.
Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by ManOfSon: 10:22pm On Jan 20
Iseeeeeee 🙏

Umuinyioku:
Thanks Elder.

May your days be long on earth. Amiiiiin. Iseeee!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Josep Guardiola Fears Sergio Aguero Suffered A ‘Bad’ Injury / Chiamaka Nnadozie And Rasheedat Ajibade Put In MVP Performances In Europe / Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.