Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,237 members, 7,943,453 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 03:48 PM

Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? (14349 Views)

Why Would A Man Insist On Not Having A Registry Wedding / Groom Abandons New Bride At Benin Registry, Takes To His Heels On Sighting Wife / Registry Wedding In Lagos! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by anishe(m): 4:41pm On Dec 01, 2011
Does registry wedding/marriage permits or allows copulation?
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by FEMARY1: 4:48pm On Dec 01, 2011
I think a lot of people still go for this registry marriage these days.

Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by ashavic: 4:51pm On Dec 01, 2011
If u marry the right person,no yawa but if u get the wrong one, O.Y.O.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by Beync(f): 4:59pm On Dec 01, 2011
Simply  becos they dont have genuine luv and trust on their partners. If not what will you be scared of? secondly they dont know the right thing becos knowing the  right thing means knowing that you hav to register your mariage in court according to the laws of the land
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Dec 01, 2011
How come some women see it like the man does not want to spend his hard-earned money.Again she did not save shiit.

There was one today in my area.Securing ur state with ur husband is not in the documents court give you. He can divorce u and damn the expenses. If you want to marry for real, go ahead, if a man knows you married him for money, he can always use his cash to get himself out.
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by bamto(m): 5:18pm On Dec 01, 2011
it's amazing how ignorant some people are. The nigerian legal system only recognizes 3 types of marriage: customary, islamic, and one under the marriage act. Any church that gives certificate not obtained from the registry perpetrates illegality. In the eye of the law there's no difference btw church and registry wedding since they are produce of the marriage act. Most established churches are certified by law to conduct weddings n issue certificates on its behalf. Why will i subject myself to court wedding conducted by unknown riffraffs when i can enjoy a legal, sanctified wedding in church?
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by DisGuy: 5:34pm On Dec 01, 2011
Do nigerian women realy ask for something after a divorce? court marriage or not

I thought they normally get tuffed out, children taken away and sent to their parents place to fend for themselves

divorce in nigeria is not nice   undecided

ps: based on nollywood movies- its a depicition of the society right?
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 5:58pm On Dec 01, 2011
Guy grow up, nowadays it doesnt happen that way. Women are now wiser than we think
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by DisGuy: 6:03pm On Dec 01, 2011
its not about being wiser, its just about the society women included supporting the status quo

the man is the everything

you get the mother of the husband- calling the shots, orchestrating the whole arrangement
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Dec 01, 2011
My mum once told me she wont want me to go for to registry cuz it only makes the woman to focus more on inheirtance in case of a divorce than actually focusing on the marriage.i kinda think she's old school
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by lagcity(m): 7:25pm On Dec 01, 2011
registry or no registry, ain't nobody running away with 50% of my money. I'll forking murder the judge who dares it!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by harakiri(m): 7:50pm On Dec 01, 2011
Very simple. . .At the registry, the man is turned into government property that can be twisted and manhandled in the court of law. There's nothing "loving" or "romantic" about registry weddings. It's as "unromantic" as signing a pre-nup but you never hear the ladies kicking against it (for beyond obvious reasons e.g it pays them the most)
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by Sike(m): 10:38pm On Dec 01, 2011
Simple Question. . . BrB!
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by ndahbros1: 11:21pm On Dec 01, 2011
@outstrip:clearly u ar not knowledgeable abt d realities or ramifications of registry marriage.I would advise dat u pick a copy of the Matrimonial causes Act 2011 n read.which protection?in which country?its not as rosy as u tink o.our law is not exactly like d Western model.how many women can afford a long legal battle just to dissolve a marriage,which battle can take up to 5yrs?wat if before u rush to court d man sells everytin?its irrevocable den.all u can be assured of is alimony n its not a do or die affair.if I refuse to pay,it might mean another long process to compel me.can u afford all d stress?I believe its just ignorance n copy-copy dat makes women tink dia is any protection under registry marriage if d man has evil intentions.I go just liquidate all my assets b4 we go court n stay in court up to Supreme Court.go borrow money do case for 10yrs den tel me how much u wud hv got from me even if u had won.
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by lastpage: 1:08am On Dec 02, 2011
^^^^^^ U bw winch! shocked shocked

Funny the way you put it but l must admit it got me thinking!!

To put it straight (and draw flak), every woman that insists (or even suggest) on a Registry wedding is actually planning for the "death/collapse of the marriage", from day one! All se is doing is ensuring that "she gets a good deal" when the collapse finally sets-in.
Dont forget that its not always the case that a man marries a second wife is what causes marriage collapase, it may even be infidelity on the part of the wife?

Its like buying a little coffin, when you give birth (you're invariably planning for the death of the baby and thus the burial arrangements!).
Well, some women think its "smartness", as we can see from previous comments.

I dont blame such; we have women who never married in Registry, they enjoyed their husband for over fifty years till death took one of them first while the "Registry marriage" collapsed after a few years 'cos amongst other things, when "marital trials" rear their ugly head (and believe me, they do so in EVERY marriage), instead of focusing on how to "mend and repair the damage" both husband and wife simply and immediately went into "adversarial mode" whereby wife tries to get an unfair cut of the husband's wealth while the husband, knowing what she was after, tries to ensure that she does not go away smiling like someone who just won a lottery!
Again, if you keep reminding your husband that he would go to jail if he marries another woman (since he agreed to a registry wedding with you), you are either asking him to murder you first (as most white folks do!) or to father children "outside the marriage" while he works-out a messy divorce (since he now knows your plan for him, henceforth!).
Either way, your "marriage cert" is more of a danger to you! But l guess most women look at things in the "short term" and therefore, might not reason this way.

In my own humble opinion, l think such "Registry mentality" creates more harm than good. If everyone knows that "breaking-up a marriage" will not benefit them in anyway (the husband should not marry again, the woman should not be entitled to one cup of rice, from the husband, e.t.c), l guess both will think twice before saying "phuck-you, l dont give a damn about this marriage"! wink

Put mildly, the "Registry cert" does not guarantee you a lasting or enjoyable marriage, does not stop your husband from cheating or fathering children outside (and those kids have same right as yours, under the law! grin ), does not guarantee that you will get a sizable proportion of his loot or any of those thing women fantasize about, when they insist on Registry wedding. Even child support can e hazardous if the 'criminal' husband decides not to be gainfully employed since all those payment are "means tested"! grin grin wink

Dont buy a coffin for a newly born child! Its a bad beginning!

Just my take.

Lastpage

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by WhyAWhy(m): 1:17am On Dec 02, 2011
wait wait wait a minute, all this things you're discussing is strange to me,

I actually thought the law recognises only Registry wedding and hence everyone ought to do it to be able to legally use a man's name or claim to be married not just for all the various reasons you guys have itemised.

Everyone I've met including my sister had a registry wedding the week of the white(church) wedding. I just thought it's a norm to do it that way not for any selfish reasons oh wink
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by Nobody: 1:25am On Dec 02, 2011
WhyAWhy:

I actually thought the law recognises only Registry wedding and hence everyone ought to do it to be able to legally use a man's name or claim to be married not just for all the various reasons you guys have itemised.

Everyone I've met including my sister had a registry wedding the week of the white(church) wedding. I just thought it's a norm to do it that way not for any selfish reasons oh wink

Exactly. Felt it was just a document to just state you're married under the Nigerian law. undecided Even churches these days demand you have a registry wedding first before they marry you.
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by BloodShed1: 2:08am On Dec 02, 2011
Because as a man you're signing your life away.

Not worth it.
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by Baawaa(m): 8:37am On Dec 02, 2011
Its because of behavior of our ladies dis days
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by smithclark: 9:11am On Dec 02, 2011
You should register for the things you'd like to receive for your wedding seven to nine. Some people will purchase gifts far in advance while others may wait until the last minute. Many brides fear that they will appear greedy or ungrateful
clothes traders
boots distributors
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by unclenna(m): 9:24am On Dec 02, 2011
any woman that insist on having a court wedding has a hidden agenda. For me i will not do any court wedding period. The vow i will make in God's prescence is enough.
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by agitator: 9:58am On Dec 02, 2011
bamto said it all. Nigerian law recognises traditional marriage, registry, so if you marry under tradition the union is recognised and acceptable before the law.

Women just have this notion that with registry wedding they can tie down the man and the law will stop the man from infidelity. It is a dream.
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by Beync(f): 11:27am On Dec 02, 2011
WhyAWhy:

What can i say, even people who are supposed to be knowlegable are acting otherwise.
our parents did court mariage, and so other relatives. i havant seen anyone drag his or her husband to court in pursuit of material possession.
When people marry for the wrong reason, what do you espect? The fear of the unknown, they want to protect the future they hav control over

so many churches would wed you without demanding for court registry, does it mean they are doing the right thing?
Some people can be so lame.
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by otokx(m): 12:10pm On Dec 02, 2011
why should people fear registry wedding? what happened to customary wedding?
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by DisGuy: 2:12pm On Dec 02, 2011
come to think of it, If you tell a Nigerian lady you only want court wedding and no owambe party, no traditional no[b] society wedding[/b]

She go pick race, you wan deprive her of her fifteen minutes of overpriced fame grin

generalising of cos- all in good faith
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Dec 02, 2011
Dis Guy:

come to think of it, If you tell a Nigerian lady you only want court wedding and no owambe party, no traditional no[b] society wedding[/b]

She go pick race, you wan deprive her of her fifteen minutes of overpriced fame grin

generalising of cos- all in good faith

My thoughts exactly-they always want to use men to hit fame.Always!
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by N101: 4:22pm On Dec 08, 2011
Some of you guys have such a warped mentality, I can only assume none of you intend to get married because (a) she will be looking to kill/divorce you and run off with your things, or (b) women get married to divorce undecided

Harikiri, Ferdiii, unclenna, lastpage etc: what about the men who insist on a registry marriage? I know of quite a few who chose to go that route rather than have a traditional or church wedding. Have they got a hidden agenda too?
Re: Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? by lastpage: 3:38pm On Dec 14, 2011
^^^^No, they dont have any hidden agenda, they are just NAIVE!
I wont say ignorant cos it sound derogatory. Once they visit the Western world a few times and see "whats gwan", they would change gear like Peugeot 404 Automatic! grin

In such cases as you mentioned, they (the hubby) wants to "protect their wife from wicked relatives" who would take all their properties away from their immediate family (wifey and children) should something untoward happen to them. This is a cultural failure in our culture and it is very bad that extended families can get this wicked!

Unfortunately for them ( the hubby), as in most cases, "the Hunter becomes the hunted", if you get what l mean

its like being caught between the Devil and the Deep Sea! Either way, a man is endangered!!

Like someone said, wedding is wedding: whether Registry, Traditional or Church: Its all recognized under Nigerian Law.

Question: Why then do women still insist on "REGISTRY" is there is "NOTHING" to it?

Hmmmmmm,,.,.,, ,.,.,.,., Big Kweshion!

Left me o'jare, l say l no dey house for this one wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

bugs / Why Do Men Get Re-Married More Than Women? / 5 Bedroom Country Home Design With Basement.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.