Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,677 members, 7,968,964 topics. Date: Monday, 07 October 2024 at 04:00 PM

Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? (17831 Views)

RICHARD6: Fulfil Your Money Back Guarantee / Make Better Future / Make A Wise Choice To Have A Better Future,the Time Is Now: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by justwise(m): 8:14pm On Nov 09, 2011
glowithdan:

Different stories for different folks! It's simple, life in the UK is not a bed of roses! You pay as tax almost everything you work hard for; and one thing is for sure- YOU MAKE NOTHING AT THE END!!!

Healthcare is certain, but not free; Power is constant, but not free; road network is perfect, but 80% of the people still fail the driving test (the tax you pay on your car is enough to start a business back home; talk of accommodation, a three bed apartment goes for 1500-2700 pounds per month (calculate those figures for two years, and evaluate the cost of erecting a three bed bungalow in Nigeria); You bye a TV set, you pay tax on it (even if you get any TV station or not); paying almost 100 pounds every month on "council" tax for your home, is definitely no child's play either, I can go on and on.

Yes, someone did say something about security. In Nigeria, the rule of law is lacking totally, while in the UK, abuse to privileges and the likes is very minimal.

And to cap it up, with your black face and racial background, its almost impossible to secure a permanent job in the UK!

It's simple as those!!!

Do you get those free in Nigeria?

With ur black face in Nigeria are you guaranteed a job?
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by Niseamaka(m): 8:15pm On Nov 09, 2011
coogar:

even with this amount per month, i am not sure nigeria will be worth it for me! 500,000 after taxes but 40% of that goes to buying fuel for car/generator to provide steady light(something the government should be doing for you), another 10% would go to the security of your house. if you earn half a million per month, you need a maiguard/ iron gates, etc. what about the maintenance of your automobiles? i cannot remember the last time i took my car for repairs. by the time you deduct intangibles/tangibles from your 500k, you are not really better off!

KUDOS COOGAR
500,000 naira per month is just about 2,000 euro.I certainly will not throw away
constant electricity and water supply, driving on very good roads, world class
education for my children, excellent healthcare facilities and services, and most
importantly, security of lives and properties, for a mere 500,000 naira per month.
Money means nothing to me without all of the above.

2 Likes

Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by Adegokenath(m): 8:37pm On Nov 09, 2011
Everything depend on destiny,if God said u are going to make it in naija and u travel out u are not going to make anything abroad unless u come back home.i known 3 people who have make it in usa the have a very big mansion and fine cars in naija and the went to usa with ordinary O'level.while some are complaining that it not easy in abroad,guys it's destiny.

1 Like

Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by Adegokenath(m): 8:38pm On Nov 09, 2011
Everything depend on destiny,if God said u are going to make it in naija and u travel out u are not going to make anything abroad unless u come back home.i known 3 people who have make it in usa the have a very big mansion and fine cars in naija and the went to usa with ordinary O'level.while some are complaining that it not easy in abroad,guys it's destiny.

1 Like

Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Nov 09, 2011
Adegokenath:

Bollocks!
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by Olalekan0(m): 9:09pm On Nov 09, 2011
@okija-juju, I've got nothing more to say to you,fellow nairalanders have said it all. However,am going to ask you this;when you earn 500k a month in nigeria,do you get to save all that amount? The answer is no! Nothing compares to live abroad,i know a good number of senators children who relocated to Nigeria after their father's' election triumph,they only stayed for a few months and are back in the U.S'now.  Nigerians are dieing of avoidable causes for example, doctors' negligence as a result of the crappy traiing they receive,bad roads,armed robbery,fraudsters everywhere,class discrimination,appaling infrastructure,you name it. Even the people in the ghettos of america have a better quality of live than nigeria's'rich!

2 Likes

Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by emmke(m): 9:38pm On Nov 09, 2011
@okija juju i dont even need 500k to be happy in naija. Give half of that monthly in cities like calabar, abj, kaduna etc and i'd never trade it for a life in the west.
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by dayokanu(m): 9:47pm On Nov 09, 2011
^^ You mean you can survive on 250k living in Abuja?

I mean Abuja not Nasarawa state
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by Tunmi(f): 9:52pm On Nov 09, 2011
Apparently living and working in Naija works best for Okija and that is good. Each individual has to figure out what works best for him or her. Travelling abroad does not guarantee success, but it does provide opportunities for success. It all depends on the person and how much you are willing to work.

As per mentions of taxes, that is what taxes are supposed to do. They are supposed to provide a conducive and safe environment for the people that pay said taxes. You reap the benefits in developed countries. In Naija, eh, you provide your own. I am a student and I prefer it here in the States, right now, than in Naija. The country will always have a sentimental value but education abroad is priceless--you learn so much and that's outside of the classroom.

You went abroad and learned and now you're applying it. That's what everyone does really. The problem becomes when there is disillusionment. Your instance of a 500K is more like an uncommon event, maybe a rarity, due to the many unemployed graduates. Abroad, graduates do not have to suffer Naija's unemployment. Yeah, the economy is staggering now but it is not as bad as Naija is right now.

I do applaud you on striking a balance between the two worlds.
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by ogaju007(m): 9:54pm On Nov 09, 2011
@Okijadudu, Great choice you made out of your circumstances. The world is becoming  a Global village and if you can't compete internationally then i must say, U be local champion. I'm sure you lived in Toronto in Canada rather than moving to a place like alberta where your skills are really needed. i know geologist in calgary alberta raking in over 4000 Dollars a week after tax. I know Nigerians in Uk raking in £450 Pounds a day. I also have a fellow SAP HR Consultant in NNPC in Nigeria on about $750 Dollars a day. The guy in NNPC would never have gotten such a job if not for international exposure. if you work for Total and you get just =N= 500, 000 then that explains why you couldn't get a good job in the states and Canada.
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by occam(m): 10:13pm On Nov 09, 2011
Okija_juju:

Erm Bros!!

For the sake of me wanting to maintain my annonymity, I will not put my complimentary card on here but I'll provide you with some details!

I work for Total Nigeria Limited (an oil Company) as a contract Staff. I will tell you my job description as well, but that would make me easy to identify. I started working in March this year. And 500,000'k is just an estimate o! My Contract sum is for 35'k per day, multiplied by 22 working days per month, do the maths!! Now my contractor takes 20% of that, so on and so. . . I was lucky no doubt, but even then, life here was much more easier for me than it was in Canada. I was making money that was just enough for me to survive and keep my head above water without making any reasonable savings! Now thats bullshi't. I know alot of families who look like they are livinglarge in the U.S, U.K and co but if you look closely, you'll see that their houses, cars and virtually everything  they have are all on a mortgage.

A H1 visa in the United States of America is the next best thing to winning a green Card. I have a 4 year, multiple entry, H1 Visa (which is a full working Visa) and my Permanent residence in Canada means that by the middle of next year, I'll be eligible to get my Canadian Passport (so yes sir, I can work legally in the whole of North America!). The point I was making was this, It is not easy anywhere jor! I saw men with Masters degrees woking for 16 dollars an hour at Mac donalds and KFC. I still remember that as at October last year, I was begging for a job with a security company in Canada and they were jerking me around. I was a laborer working as a cleaner in construction sites by day and applying to Superstores and what have you by night. I still remember meeting a Nigerian Man in Toronto who was a doctor and had to work two jobs to keep his head above ground.

O And lest I forget, I am a Geological Engineer o!! So you know. Alot of people abroad are suffering! Lets not even front! And to make it worse, I remember that I once got a call from SGS in Canada for an interview and they told me that because I studied in Ghana, I needed to do some courses in Canada to enable me work as a geologist there because I wasnt thought the behaivior of minerals and materials in snow!! I almost went mad!

Look! To all you who are doing menial jobs abroad just to get by, your hussle would pay more in Naija! Less taxes and you can feed for less money as well.

Little wonder we have difficulty solving problems in Nigeria; we never see the big picture. Topics like this should focus on what it takes to succeed in a new country, not Naija vs. abroad fight on who has a better life. Having a bachelor/masters degree alone is not the key to success; let’s be very clear about that.

I also live in Canada and my experience is quite the opposite of what you narrated. Yes, there are Nigerians over here that are facing difficulty adjusting and getting a job. I know people that also decided to leave, just like you. Also, anytime I visit Nigeria I get constant request from folks working in top companies on how to come over here.

In the end we all have different life goals and different approaches to achieving them. The first 2 yrs was an uphill challenge for me but I persevered and can declare that coming here was one of the smartest decisions I made in life. Now does this mean guarantee of a better future for me? On a scale of 1 to 10, I’ll say 8.5.
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by Mygoldie(f): 10:18pm On Nov 09, 2011
It depends on your reasons for travelling abroad,
if your travelling abroad for the purpose of getting a good job,to earn good money,then I'd say YES!
but if your reason for travelling abroad is to make quick cash,by fraudulent means,then I'd say NO.

Yes people get away with fraud,but i don't think its a guarantee for a better future(in reference to the topic).
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by Skywalker5(m): 10:32pm On Nov 09, 2011
glowithdan:

Different stories for different folks! It's simple, life in the UK is not a bed of roses! You pay as tax almost everything you work hard for; and one thing is for sure- YOU MAKE NOTHING AT THE END!!!

Healthcare is certain, but not free; Power is constant, but not free; road network is perfect, but 80% of the people still fail the driving test (the tax you pay on your car is enough to start a business back home; talk of accommodation, a three bed apartment goes for 1500-2700 pounds per month (calculate those figures for two years, and evaluate the cost of erecting a three bed bungalow in Nigeria); You bye a TV set, you pay tax on it (even if you get any TV station or not); paying almost 100 pounds every month on "council" tax for your home, is definitely no child's play either, I can go on and on.

Yes, someone did say something about security. In Nigeria, the rule of law is lacking totally, while in the UK, abuse to privileges and the likes is very minimal.

And to cap it up, with your black face and racial background, its almost impossible to secure a permanent job in the UK!

It's simple as those!!!

with my black face.I got my IT job in uk when it was a nightmare to get in Nigeria. And for the expensive part of uk.Yes, i would rather pay it all and have good quality of life .Even a cleaner here has good quality of life here. Nobody cares how much you got in the bank.Thats Naija mentality
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by ogaju007(m): 10:57pm On Nov 09, 2011
Sky-walker:

with my black face.I got my IT job in uk when it was a nightmare to get in Nigeria. And for the expensive part of uk.Yes, i would rather pay it all and have good quality of life .Even a cleaner here has good quality of life here. Nobody cares how much you got in the bank.Thats Naija mentality

@Sky-Walker: I second that, with my blackface and lovely naija accent im an HRIS Manage for EMEA (Europe, MiddleEast and Asia) To think i was once burger frier just over 5 years ago. I didnt have to bribe anyone, i didnt even have to do masters. These are countries where when youre good, you're lifted irrespective of your colour. IT na d way jooooo. grin grin grin
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by Redman44(m): 11:02pm On Nov 09, 2011
I feel it is time for me to properly comment on this type of threads that pop up on Nairaland frequently these days. There is nothing wrong in travelling abroad. The greatest thing that has happened to me is leaving the shores of Nigeria for Europe. I have really developed myself and my reasoning has changed. I also believe that travelling abroad guarantees a better future for those who can make lemonade out of stone. Exposure is very critical to the development of a Man. Before I traveled to Britain, I always thought white people were special people that cannot do any wrong. Today, I know Britain has dull, wasteful and unambitious white people. I have also discovered that if you're good at what you do, you will become successful abroad no matter the discrimination you might face. What would have happened if Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie had decided to stay back in Nigeria? Would she have found a safe haven in the USA to write her Prize Winning books 'Half of a A Yellow Sun' and 'Purple Hibiscus'? Mind you, Chimamanda also attended solid Universities in the States for her Undergraduate and Postgraduate Studies. What about Tunde Baiyewu ( The British-Nigerian ) who is the vocalist for the Lighthouse Family? Tunde Baiyewu spent his early years in Nigeria and even spent a year or two at a Nigerian Polytechnic before moving back to Britain ( Where he was born ). Would he have met Paul Tucker ( His Band  Mate ) if he had stayed back in Nigeria? Do Nigerians even appreciate the kind of music the Lighthouse Family perform? So I believe it is all about destiny, Nairalanders.

When people complain about taxes abroad, I just laugh grin grin grin  Taxes are the mainstay of Western Nations and it is an an offence to be evading taxes. Tax Cash is used to develop the infrastructure in the UK. Your rubbish is collected weekly because of the tax you pay. The roads are smooth because of the tax you're paying. That beautiful park near your home remains well maintained because you and loads of other workers and business people in Britain are paying their taxes. Someone was talking about Mortgages being expensive. There are different categories of houses you can move into and you can get some mortgages in different parts of Britain for about £750 per month. At the end of the day, the house will be yours.  Racism exists and I am not denying it. However, blacks also get good jobs in the UK. If you're skillful in something and you're educated, you can rise to the greatest heights with the help of God. Another reason why Nigerians have problems in Britain is that they don't have the right papers or get their documents very late. So many years would have been wasted trying to get documents that would help them take greater steps towards being successful abroad. Some Nigerians and Africans are also contented with doing menial jobs for a long time and do not take advantage of the educational system of Britain and Europe to get some qualifications. Because I am a creative person, being abroad is good for me for now. I still want to study and test the skilled job market here. I've got a lot of options before me at the moment and I want to get the best out of the European System. Traveling abroad means different things for different people. The problem arises when Nigerians equate being abroad with being able to earn substantial amounts of money and live large. I don't think like that though I know I'll be wealthy somehow. Lastly, you can't compare Nigeria to the Western World. Even the poor people in Britain are taken care of and they have access to quality healthcare. We all come from Africa to Europe, North America and Britain, but our destinies are different. We should all just strive to make the best out of life wherever we find ourselves. Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by gbollykore: 11:09pm On Nov 09, 2011
IF YOU LOOK AT THE CONDITION OF A LOT OF PEOPLE IN NIGERIA, MAYBE DUE TO THEIR UPBRINGING AND THE OPPORTUNITIES THAT WERE AVAILABLE TO THEM GROWING UP, YOU WILL KNOW THAT TRAVELLING ABROAD IS A BLESSING INDEED TO THEM
NIGERIA IS A PLACE WHERE IF YOUR PARENTS ARE NOT WELL TO DO OR WELL CONNECTED YOU WILL HAVE TO WORSHIP OTHER CITIZENS THAT ARE WELL OFF, I KNOW A GUY THAT WAS RAISED IN AN ENVIRONMENT WHERE 7 OF THEM LIVED IN A ROOM, AND THEIR PARENTS STRUGGLED TO SEND THEM TO HIGH SCHOOL, HE WON THE US VISA LOTTERY AND NOW LIVES IN THE USA, EVEN THOUGH HE DRIVES A TAXI( WHICH IS CONSIDERED A MENIAL JOB) HE HAS BEEN ABLE TO IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF HIS FAMILY'S LIFE
HE HAS HELPED HIS SIBBLINGS TO GO THROGH THE UNIVERSITY AND HIS PARENTS LIVE IN A BETTER PLACE , ALL FROM DOING MENIAL JOBS

THINK ABOUT IT, IF THIS GUY WAS IN NIGERIA, WITHOUT A DEGREE OR THE RIGHT CONNECTIONS OR HAVE THE COURAGE TO DO RITUALS, HE WOULD PROBABLY BE GOING THROGH THE SAME THING HIS PARENTS WENT THROUGH

THE TRUTH IS THAT BASIC THINGS OF LIFE ARE VERY DIFFICULT FOR THE ORDINARY MAN TO COME BY IN NIGERIA, AND IT SHOULD NOT BE SO,
HAVING SAID THAT, I AM NOT SAYING THAT LIVING ABROAD IS AUTOMATIC SUCCESS, BUT FOR MOST PEOPLE IT IS A BLESSING!

M
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by femmyoou(m): 11:11pm On Nov 09, 2011
Dunno o!
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by Kay1kay1(m): 11:52pm On Nov 09, 2011
Irrespective of comments passed about Okija's experience, it sounded honest. Few Nigerians who've lived abroad would mention the type of menial job they were doing. A colleague of mine who schooled in Canada mentioned how stressful it was for her at a call center.

On the other hand, unlike in Nigeria when out, you can plan your life. Plan your life and seek your passion - Right environment (Not just money). Every human being with the empowerment from One upstairs has the right to plan his or her life. I have seen that in Nigeria human lives are deemed more or less like poker. Poker even better sef. In NG, nobody dares mention passion. It's wherever the wind blows you.

Earlier on, Naijacutie mentioned, ", killer of dreams,"; with NG, you have to fight that killer (the environment) of dreams.

A forum member was asking for the best ISP in Lagos. I asked a similar question. Last week, a mobile network now explained that even the 3G modem has EDGE, GSM and 3G. My location doesn't  support the so-called 3G speed. Before now, I knew only of 3G Broadband (REAL) Speed. In NG, it's like one has to fast and pray before Google.com opens.

What does everyone say? Welcome back. This is NG.
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by Okijajuju1(m): 12:12am On Nov 10, 2011
ogaju007:

@Okijadudu, Great choice you made out of your circumstances. The world is becoming  a Global village and if you can't compete internationally then i must say, U be local champion. I'm sure you lived in Toronto in Canada rather than moving to a place like alberta where your skills are really needed. i know geologist in calgary alberta raking in over 4000 Dollars a week after tax. I know Nigerians in Uk raking in £450 Pounds a day. I also have a fellow SAP HR Consultant in NNPC in Nigeria on about $750 Dollars a day. The guy in NNPC would never have gotten such a job if not for international exposure. if you work for Total and you get just =N= 500, 000 then that explains why you couldn't get a good job in the states and Canada.

Mr Ogaju
You dont know me like that so you would do well to refrain from making snide remarks towards me. I shared my story here not for you to disrespect me. Maybe I am a local Champion, Maybe I just prefer to live in a country where I am celebrated and not in one where I am tolorated. Look at your statement "I'm sure you lived in Toronto". Canada wasnt my first stint abroad so stop actng like you've got me all figured out. When I landed in Canada, I went straight to Fort McMurray, Alberta which is Canada's "Niger Delta" with all the Oil Sands. I applied to company's like Suncor, CNRL, North American Group, SGS Canada, Nalco and co. It would take me atleast 4 years to get the approval of APPEGA to work as an engineer in Canada because I didnt school in Canada. Dude! I came I saw and I made a decision that is working just perfectly for me. You need to learn to address people in a more polite manner. $750 per day is what you call money?! I laugh at your myopia. My boss here in Nigeria is a Scotsman and make $1400 per day doing the same thing I do just that he has more experience. When my Canadian passport comes through and I get all the same certifications on his resume (which I am already working on), go figure. My game plan is different from yours hommes, Respect my hussle!

Tunmi:

Apparently living and working in Naija works best for Okija and that is good. Each individual has to figure out what works best for him or her. Travelling abroad does not guarantee success, but it does provide opportunities for success. It all depends on the person and how much you are willing to work.

As per mentions of taxes, that is what taxes are supposed to do. They are supposed to provide a conducive and safe environment for the people that pay said taxes. You reap the benefits in developed countries. In Naija, eh, you provide your own. I am a student and I prefer it here in the States, right now, than in Naija. The country will always have a sentimental value but education abroad is priceless--you learn so much and that's outside of the classroom.

You went abroad and learned and now you're applying it. That's what everyone does really. The problem becomes when there is disillusionment. Your instance of a 500K is more like an uncommon event, maybe a rarity, due to the many unemployed graduates. Abroad, graduates do not have to suffer Naija's unemployment. Yeah, the economy is staggering now but it is not as bad as Naija is right now.

I do applaud you on striking a balance between the two worlds.

My dear!! I am happy for where I am at right now and I aint even 30 yet. I know arried men who dont make half of my salary in a month. I went, I saw and I have strategized.

Olalekan 0:

@okija-juju, I've got nothing more to say to you,fellow nairalanders have said it all. However,am going to ask you this;when you earn 500k a month in nigeria,do you get to save all that amount? The answer is no! Nothing compares to live abroad,i know a good number of senators children who relocated to Nigeria after their father's' election triumph,they only stayed for a few months and are back in the U.S'now.  Nigerians are dieing of avoidable causes for example, doctors' negligence as a result of the crappy traiing they receive,bad roads,armed robbery,fraudsters everywhere,class discrimination,appaling infrastructure,you name it. Even the people in the ghettos of america have a better quality of live than nigeria's'rich!

I actually average an estimated 600,000'k every month. I put 500,000 into savings and make do with 100'k, depending on the month 120,000. I am a bachelor so my responsibilities are light. My bills dont take over 20'k tops. I have planned myself and I am on course. My CV is building and the future can only get better.

In GENERAL

Its all about what works best for you. I am not lazy. I was applying to be a security in -30 degrees weather so you can see that I was willing to do whatever it took. All this security, electricity and good road matter na just format jor! I drive an SUV (bad road), I have an inverter in my house (24hours light), I have  5 dogs and uniformed security with the JTF on speed dial (I have only been robbed once in Nigeria and this was way back in 1992). When people say all these things, it would sound like we are in Iraq. Oyinbos are dying for Nigerian Visa to come here and work and Nigerians are running away. If anyone is serious, they can make it here in Nigeria. In private business or in the coporate world. I have lived in europe and North America and I mst say that the only thing I miss there is their Internet service and the avaliability of virtually anything I need. But now, all i have to do is buy it online and have it shipped to me. Life has never been better. Home is always the best place to be.

But Note! My Kids would do all their secondary education and Univeristy Education there in Canada. But me and Naija are inseparable. I Jand and Yankee works for you, then please make your money, but if you are there washing toilets and doing menial jobs and making change, then come home and restrategize.
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by coogar: 12:21am On Nov 10, 2011
Okija_juju:

All this security, electricity and good road matter na just format jor! I drive an SUV (bad road), I have an inverter in my house (24hours light), I have  5 dogs and uniformed security with the JTF on speed dial (I have only been robbed once in Nigeria and this was way back in 1992). When people say all these things, it would sound like we are in Iraq. Oyinbos are dying for Nigerian Visa to come here and work and Nigerians are running away. If anyone is serious, they can make it here in Nigeria. In private business or in the coporate world. I have lived in europe and North America and I mst say that the only thing I miss there is their Internet service and the avaliability of virtually anything I need. But now, all i have to do is buy it online and have it shipped to me. Life has never been better. Home is always the best place to be.

But Note! My Kids would do all their secondary education and Univeristy Education there in Canada. But me and Naija are inseparable. I Jand and Yankee works for you, then please make your money, but if you are there washing toilets and doing menial jobs and making change, then come home and restrategize.

i don't even want to dream of being robbed let alone experience it once!

you are lucky you didn't die as a result of being robbed. many have died in that country from stray bullets.
nothing is worth more than security of my life. you can't put that in value(naira or mega naira).
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by ezyra(m): 12:38am On Nov 10, 2011
I was pretty much raised in the UK, but I chose to return to Nigeria to work, rejecting a pretty decent paying job at Accenture.
We all have our reasons.
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by Redman44(m): 12:44am On Nov 10, 2011
We all have different experiences in Europe and North America. Some Nigerians have good experiences while others have bad experiences. It is what we go through either good or bad that determines largely whether we want to remain abroad or head back to Nigeria. Some Nigerians started out as cleaners in London but today they own houses in Britain. There are people who are having spiritual problems and they've got to overcome the psychic forces tormenting their lives before they can break through abroad. Some Nigerians are also meant to succeed back home. I still see Nigeria as HOME but I know I have to stay in the UK to achieve my artistic dreams. I don't hold a British Passport or an European Passport but I'm always complimented about my good diction and fluent English Language skills. What I'm trying to say is that we hardly change from whom we are back in Nigeria and character is built over time. There are enough resources we can make use of here in Europe and North America but many Nigerians are mainly concerned about cash and material possessions. When you're good at something and you're focused, the money will come in an avalanche in due time. There are Africans in the UK earning millions of pounds in the creative industries but they're very reserved people. You just need to dig deeper into the internet archives to see their achievements. We are all cut out to succeed in life and Nigeria is not the only place where you can be respected as a Black Man or Woman. Cheers.
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by yommysomguy(m): 12:57am On Nov 10, 2011
ezyra:

I was pretty much raised in the UK, but I chose to return to Nigeria to work, rejecting a pretty decent paying job at Accenture.
We all have our reasons.
Exactly. One man's meat could be another man's poison
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by Jenifa1: 1:01am On Nov 10, 2011
If you live a fantastic politician's life in Naija, then by all means stay home. going to live abroad will be a downgrade. unless you're only visiting for holidays.
but if you were[i] iya alakara[/i] in naija, then your life will be better abroad. especially for your kids who have a chance to move up the ladder.

so it depends on d person and situation.

1 Like

Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by Olalekan0(m): 1:03am On Nov 10, 2011
Okija-juju, For you to earn 500k a month in Nigeria as you claimed,you must possess at least two degrees,whereas you can drop out of school at the 5th grade in America and still have a good life!
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by Jenifa1: 1:04am On Nov 10, 2011
Olalekan 0:

Okija-juju, For you to earn 500k a month in Nigeria as you claimed,you must possess at least two degrees,whereas you can drop out of school at the 5th grade in America and still have a good life!

who fed you this [i]bulls[/i]hit?
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by Kay1kay1(m): 1:23am On Nov 10, 2011
@ Okija
Life is about making some sacrifices even when it turns out good abroad. This is no classroom where everyone needs to get what the whole picture of what you are saying. At least, one person has learnt from your experiences. I have.

Someone else may even try to sneer at you being on a contract payroll.
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by Nobody: 1:33am On Nov 10, 2011
With quality education, yes.
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by chika98: 1:52am On Nov 10, 2011
It is all a matter of preference. I love my life in the west and wouldn't trade it for anything.
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by blackmale(m): 2:28am On Nov 10, 2011
with the current situation in nigeria, i think living abroad is more better, at least 80 % will prefer living abroad,, no boko haram whaala,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FG Rejects IMF’s Call For Further Devaluation Of Naira / Flutterwave In Talks To Triple Valuation To $3 Billion / I Want To Go Into Forex Trading: Pls Advise.!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.