Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,867 members, 7,918,844 topics. Date: Monday, 12 August 2024 at 04:15 PM

Health And Life Expectancy: African Vs. African American Communities - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Health And Life Expectancy: African Vs. African American Communities (347 Views)

My Travails, My Exodus and Life in the U.S / UK Skilled Worker Visa / Health And Care Worker Visa / Qualified Teacher Route / Russia Student Visa And Life There (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Health And Life Expectancy: African Vs. African American Communities by natedroid: 4:42pm On Feb 02
I've been pondering a question for a while now:

Is there a difference in strength and overall health between individuals of African descent living in Africa compared to African Americans?

Additionally, I'm curious about the life expectancy within African American communities in the United States.
In Nigeria, there's a common assumption that because we eat more natural foods compared to people in developed countries who mostly consume processed foods and junk, we should be healthier.

Does anyone here have any insights on these topics?
Re: Health And Life Expectancy: African Vs. African American Communities by ednut1(m): 4:56pm On Feb 02
natedroid:

Is there a difference in strength and overall health between individuals of African descent living in Africa compared to African Americans?

Additionally, I'm curious about the life expectancy within African American communities in the United States.

have you googled it🙄
Re: Health And Life Expectancy: African Vs. African American Communities by Gerrard59(m): 3:19am On Feb 03
natedroid:

Is there a difference in strength and overall health between individuals of African descent living in Africa compared to African Americans

African Americans have higher life expectancy compared to black Africans. I believe this stems largely from poor sanitation, conflicts and poverty in Africa compared to the United States. A better comparison would be African Americans vs black Africans residing in Europe and other developed parts of the world where there is a significant black population suited enough to be studied.

In Nigeria, there's a common assumption that because we eat more natural foods compared to people in developed countries who mostly consume processed foods and junk, we should be healthier.

Interesting topic you have here Nate:

Using a common machine-learning algorithm to select variables and rank their importance, the Index identifies 13 social conditions that predict Black life expectancy. Many are those one might expect, such as income, education, housing, and family composition. Others were more surprising, including the top predictor of high Black life expectancy: larger shares of foreign-born Black residents. One standard deviation above the mean in this variable adds one year to predicted life Black expectancy. For instance, Brooklyn, N.Y. is in the 89th percentile of life expectancy at 78.5. The more than 43% of Black residents of King’s County who are immigrants, places it in the 98th percentile among all counties.

The cause for this interpretation is unclear; it may be a pure composition effect, in that foreign-born Black Americans enjoy better health than the native Black population. Though, this data points to a larger question: Is less exposure to U.S. racism good for your health?

https://time.com/6235636/life-expectancy-black-americans-progress/

The majority of black migrants into the US are from both Africa and the Caribbean: https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2022/01/27/key-findings-about-black-immigrants-in-the-u-s/

The growth of the black population in the US: https://www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/2021/03/25/the-growing-diversity-of-black-america/

One-in-ten black people come from outside the US, and particularly from Africa. Also, the constitute the fastest growing group of black migrants in the US. In fact, combining both second generation immigrant black folks and the newcomers, they would make up a third of the overall black population in the US by 2060: https://www.pewresearch.org/race-ethnicity/2022/01/20/one-in-ten-black-people-living-in-the-u-s-are-immigrants/

If the black population in the US is to sustain itself and maintain the demographic dominance over say, Hispanics, there has to be an inflow of migrants from Africa into the US.

cc; studyless123 (As you see, I was right regarding the migration of black folks from the north and the preponderance of black people in Southern US. Texas is home to more black people than any other state.)

The statistics on the life expectancy and death rates in the regions studied reveal that geographic location plays a crucial role in determining whether a person of Black African descent has relatively high life expectancy or relatively low death rates. The statistics tend to show that it is disease, hunger, poverty, violence, war, etc., that are contributing to the high death rates of Africans in Africa, and African-Americans, but that Black people actually tend to live longer if they have the same opportunities as other racial or ethnic groups. The data lso show that sub-Sahara Africa, especially the countries within the mainland, has the lowest rates of life expectancy and highest death rates. The data also show that the average death rates in the Caribbean, Latin America, and a number of Africanations are actually lower than those of developed or advanced nations.

Sauce: https://sci-hub.hkvisa.net/10.2307/40282565#google_vignette (free-to-read); original sauce: https://www.jstor.org/stable/40282565

I was correct then. So, OP, your question has been answered. Anything for the boys to flex this weekend? grin
Re: Health And Life Expectancy: African Vs. African American Communities by studyless123: 6:27pm On Feb 05
Gerrard59:

One-in-ten black people come from outside the US, and particularly from Africa. Also, the constitute the fastest growing group of black migrants in the US. In fact, combining both second generation immigrant black folks and the newcomers, they would make up a third of the overall black population in the US by 2060: https://www.pewresearch.org/race-ethnicity/2022/01/20/one-in-ten-black-people-living-in-the-u-s-are-immigrants/

If the black population in the US is to sustain itself and maintain the demographic dominance over say, Hispanics, there has to be an inflow of migrants from Africa into the US.

cc; studyless123 (As you see, I was right regarding the migration of black folks from the north and the preponderance of black people in Southern US. Texas is home to more black people than any other state.)

The South has always been the dominant residence for the Blacks.
They migrated to the North due to several reasons including jobs, segregation and war.
Over the years the North has been diminishing in returns and we're experiencing the reverse of such migration.

In terms of Population Texas have the largest number but that's about 16% of the population.
In terms of city. NYC have the largest black population
In terms of % Mississippi and South Carolina are at about 45% and 40% respectively.

(1) (Reply)

The Abysmal State Of Peace Mass Transit Company / This Africa City Has The Finest Roads You've Ever Seen / Spanish Government Deports 23 Nigerians For Various Offences

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.