Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,838 members, 7,915,402 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 10:50 PM

What Policy Change Can Bring A Fast And Sudden Relief To Nigeria Economy? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Policy Change Can Bring A Fast And Sudden Relief To Nigeria Economy? (259 Views)

Hunger Protest : What Policy You Want Tinubu To Change ? / Poor Masses: What Policy / Project Should Government Embark On? / 2023 Elections: Why APC And PDP Aspirants Must Bring A Consensus And Face Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Policy Change Can Bring A Fast And Sudden Relief To Nigeria Economy? by Bullfallo(m): 4:26am On Feb 08
A fast economy relief.

1, For me i think fuel should come down below #350.
this will bring down transportation and gradually impact the economy and wellbeing from a little savings.

(Just imagine transporting 1k everyday to work plus feeding on a salary of 30k to 50k?)

2. Open the borders for food to come in. This is no longer cheap as the naira declined to cefa really fast. Even okrika clothes are now very expensive because of cefa exchange rate.
But atleast whatever can be gotten that is cheaper than what we have here should come in. And This will bring down some food price.

3.local indigenous vigilante to secure community and farm lands. This should encourage productivity in food security

3 Likes

Re: What Policy Change Can Bring A Fast And Sudden Relief To Nigeria Economy? by aycapri(m): 4:34am On Feb 08
Exit of the incumbent government and its parastatals…..

5 Likes

Re: What Policy Change Can Bring A Fast And Sudden Relief To Nigeria Economy? by jeff1993: 4:35am On Feb 08
I don't think anyone oooo cos no matter the policy, if the person on seat is still the one on seat, nothing will change

2 Likes

Re: What Policy Change Can Bring A Fast And Sudden Relief To Nigeria Economy? by nairalanda1(m): 5:51am On Feb 08
Bullfallo:
A fast economy relief.

this will bring down transportation and gradually impact the economy and wellbeing from a little savings.

(Just imagine transporting 1k everyday to work plus feeding on a salary of 30k to 50k?)

The problem is, as at when the new government came in, debt was eating 90% of our revenue. The only way to pay for increased fuel subsidy is by borrowing more and more money..to plug the holes left in by subsidy. Add the fact that subsidy costs have shot up because of the fall of the naira and high oil prices, and you get a future mess that won't bond well for our economy.

If we want subsidies to come back...we either find more revenue...which takes time, or we borrow.

2. Open the borders for food to come in. This is no longer cheap as the naira declined to cefa. Even okrika clothes are expensive because of cefa change rate.
But atleast whatever cab be gotten that is cheaper than what we have here should come in This will bring down some food the price.

You do that, and you get cheap food, at the cost of our farmers suffering massive losses, on top of what is happening now.

Yes, I do not support closed borders, and banning rice was a bad thing...but unrestrained open borders to reduce food costs? NO.

PLus dollars are scarce. Open the borders, unrestrained imports, unrestrained use of dollars to import.....naira crashes more.

3.local indigenous vigilante to secure community and farm lands. This should encourage productivity in food security

TO an extent I guess they are doing that.....but the problem is

1.Our police is underfunded. We give them one tenth of what the NYPD gets to police New York, a city that last I checked does not have 200 million people, nor is the size of NIgeria

2.Our police is undermanned. 350000 Men and women are expected to police 200 million or more people. Add the fact that even if we withdraw all those police on unnecessary guard duty and send them to the 'front', it still won't be enough.

Sort the above and we would have some more security.

1 Like

Re: What Policy Change Can Bring A Fast And Sudden Relief To Nigeria Economy? by nothingspoil70: 6:05am On Feb 08
There is no quick fix to the mirage of economic problems facing Nigeria at the moment. All you wrote above are mere wishful thinking.

We are all responsible for what is happening in the country at the moment. We need a national re orientation

1 Like

Re: What Policy Change Can Bring A Fast And Sudden Relief To Nigeria Economy? by fineboynl(m): 6:08am On Feb 08
Bullfallo:
A fast economy relief.

2. Open the borders for food to come in. This is no longer cheap as the naira declined to cefa really fast. Even okrika clothes are now very expensive because of cefa exchange rate.
But atleast whatever can be gotten that is cheaper than what we have here should come in. And This will bring down some food price.

Re: What Policy Change Can Bring A Fast And Sudden Relief To Nigeria Economy? by Bullfallo(m): 6:16am On Feb 08
nairalanda1:

The problem is, as at when the new government came in, debt was eating 90% of our revenue. The only way to pay for increased fuel subsidy is by borrowing more and more money..to plug the holes left in by subsidy. Add the fact that subsidy costs have shot up because of the fall of the naira and high oil prices, and you get a future mess that won't bond well for our economy.

If we want subsidies to come back...we either find more revenue...which takes time, or we borrow.

You do that, and you get cheap food, at the cost of our farmers suffering massive losses, on top of what is happening now.

Yes, I do not support closed borders, and banning rice was a bad thing...but unrestrained open borders to reduce food costs? NO.

PLus dollars are scarce. Open the borders, unrestrained imports, unrestrained use of dollars to import.....naira crashes more.

TO an extent I guess they are doing that.....but the problem is

1.Our police is underfunded. We give them one tenth of what the NYPD gets to police New York, a city that last I checked does not have 200 million people, nor is the size of NIgeria

2.Our police is undermanned. 350000 Men and women are expected to police 200 million or more people. Add the fact that even if we withdraw all those police on unnecessary guard duty and send them to the 'front', it still won't be enough.

Sort the above and we would have some more security.
we trade with neighbors with cefa and not dollars. We export and import through borders. Can’t you see cefa grow to overtake the naira 350% under APC and worst during this administration.

Naira the worst performing currency against other currencies like never before under this administration

1 Like

Re: What Policy Change Can Bring A Fast And Sudden Relief To Nigeria Economy? by ValarDoharis: 6:18am On Feb 08
You don't want Igbos to go with their wahala?
accordadoga23:
Hehehe

Coming from a patriotic Nigeria not the ones who want Obi the failure so that few weeks to the end of his tenure in Aso rock he can declare Biafra.

Nice one OP
Re: What Policy Change Can Bring A Fast And Sudden Relief To Nigeria Economy? by Houseontherock1: 6:19am On Feb 08
1. Open the borders but don't stop encouraging local production ....let the people have a choice between buying local product or foreign.
2. Return fuel subsidy; let the price of petrol go back to 250, let diesel be no more than 350! . This was the only thing the common man benefited directly from the government before! The price of petrol and diesel are the ain reason everything is costly.... transportation of food, light for production, light to do business etc.
3. Revive the dying naira

1 Like

Re: What Policy Change Can Bring A Fast And Sudden Relief To Nigeria Economy? by ValarDoharis: 6:20am On Feb 08
We're not all responsible. Tinubu and APC are grossly incompetent
nothingspoil70:
There is no quick fix to the mirage of economic problems facing Nigeria at the moment. All you wrote above are mere wishful thinking.

We are all responsible for what is happening in the country at the moment. We need a national re orientation
Re: What Policy Change Can Bring A Fast And Sudden Relief To Nigeria Economy? by ValarDoharis: 6:21am On Feb 08
The only way is to kick out APC!
Re: What Policy Change Can Bring A Fast And Sudden Relief To Nigeria Economy? by nairalanda1(m): 6:21am On Feb 08
Bullfallo:
we trade with neighbors with cefa and not dollars. We export and import through borders. Can’t you see cefa grow to overtake the naira 350% under APC and worst during this administration.

That only works for some imports. For many other imports, especially rice....we have to use dollars. Use more dollars, naira crashes more.

Naira the worst performing currency against other currencies like never before under this administration

Yes, because 80% of our revenue comes from one source, and there is no diversification of earning sources. It is the fault of both the previous and this government.
Re: What Policy Change Can Bring A Fast And Sudden Relief To Nigeria Economy? by matify83: 6:56am On Feb 08
Bullfallo:
A fast economy relief.

Your first two prescriptions will Euthanize the already comatosed economy

1 Like

Re: What Policy Change Can Bring A Fast And Sudden Relief To Nigeria Economy? by Bullfallo(m): 9:28am On Feb 08
nairalanda1:

That only works for some imports. For many other imports, especially rice....we have to use dollars. Use more dollars, naira crashes more.

Yes, because 80% of our revenue comes from one source, and there is no diversification of earning sources. It is the fault of both the previous and this government.
how do you use dollars for rice imported through the borders?

(1) (Reply)

Just In! Service Chiefs Arrive Senate,engage Senators Behind closed Doors / Bandits Now Concentrate On Raping Our Women-zamfara Indegenes Lament / President Tinubu of Nigeria And Governor Obaseki Of Edo State Must Hear This!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.