Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,075 members, 7,967,001 topics. Date: Saturday, 05 October 2024 at 09:31 AM

Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie (3377 Views)

Thespian Nozy: What Doctors Removed From The Stomach Of A Nigerian Comedian / Tyler Perry Is Gay!!! Shocking News! / Tyler Perry And AY The Comedian Collaberate To Produce A Movie-see Location Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by anonymous6(f): 4:25pm On Nov 09, 2011
"Tyler Perry's supporters use his website to read and respond to his frequent blog posts, updates and personal messages. Although comments on the page range from extreme praise to outright criticism, one person has caused a flood of angry posts within the Perry community: Kim Kardashian.

The filmmaker's fans have taken to the site saying they will boycott his new movie "The Marriage Counselor" if he follows through with his plans to cast the reality star. Commenters say Kardashian is the antithesis of Perry's Christian and respectable image for a range of reasons, including her impending divorce from husband Kris Humphries after only 72 days of marriage and her exploitation of black males.

Here are what some fans had to say"

""Mr. Perry as much as we the middle class black folks love u!!! I have made my mind up on your next movie. Me and my wife and children will NOT be supporting you on this one. You are way to classy to have this un-talented lady name Kim Kardashian in your film, She only uses our black brothers for money,sex!!!!! What kind of role model is she and again sir WHY All the black actresses out there needing owrk and you choose this negitive person how sad. And what a slap in our face as black people. But I guess cause you have your MILLIONS now you don't care how we thepeople feel after we are the ones who helped you make these millions. WOW, do the RIGHT thing pull her from the movie PLEASE Mr.Perry""

""Mr Perry, Although I've supported you and your movies since the first Madea I just e-mailed Lionsgate to let them know I'll no longer see any of theirs or your movies. It was a well thought and sad decision but one I had to make based on you giving Kim Kardashian a role in the "Marriage Counselor". With so many actors giving blood, sweat and tears to hone their craft your decision to give the role to this person who's only claim to fame is a p**** tape and fake b*** is truly appalling. Of course I wish you well in life as you had been an inspiration to me for many years, but I've accepted that you've been drinking the "Hollywood Koolaid" and are now "DRUNK"""

""Please remove Kim K from the cast! I will not support you casting this cumbucket in your film.""

"The movie is an adaptation from Perry's 2008 play about a married couple who's relationship starts to fall apart. Kardashian will be playing the main character, Judith's (played by Jurnee Smollet), coworker in the film. The cast also includes Brandy,Lance Gross and Vanessa Williams.

Despite the feedback, Perry is standing his ground and told TMZ he is keeping the E! Entertainment network star in the role.

"She is scheduled to work as planned.""

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/08/tyler-perry-fans-want-kim_n_1082252.html

Tyler perry & Kim Kardashian
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by Outstrip(f): 8:57pm On Nov 09, 2011
The mans comment is the reason why Tyler Perry should use Kim K. What the heck does he mean she uses our black brothers. Is she begging them to be in relationships with her. Please come up with another reason. An intelligent one. Why must he use a black actress by the way.
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by anonymous6(f): 9:56pm On Nov 09, 2011
Outstrip:

Why must he use a black actress by the way

I guess it is because Tyler perry movies cater to the african american community; he one of the biggest directors in the Black Hollywood industry & since african americans are the ones that keep him relevant they expect him to put somebody that is black in the movie. If this was a Hollywood movie I would say you are 100% correct but for a black Hollywood Tyler Perry movie it isn't that clear cut

Outstrip:

The mans comment is the reason why Tyler Perry should use Kim K. What the heck does he mean she uses our black brothers. Is she begging them to be in relationships with her. Please come up with another reason. An intelligent one.

when it comes to the persons comments about Kim using Black men & everything, I feel that complaint is irrelevant to Tyler Perry and I agree with you in regards to that because that's Kim's problem. Personally I feel Kim & the black men she has been with are using each other, her problem as far as I am concerned.
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by Outstrip(f): 10:12pm On Nov 09, 2011
He might have got his big break from those that actually used to watch his plays way back then and then followed him to the movies but they are not who keep him relevant. If he cast Kim K in his movies these same people will go watch. It will not affect a dime of the outcome of his movie. I don't even consider Tyler Perry Black Hollywood. I don't even consider him Hollywood yet but that is were he is headed. He is one of a kind right now. he is not the typical and I am sure if you ask him he will say he is not black Hollywood.
I also find it hard to believe that an educated black person would only expect Tyler Perry to cast black people in his movies. That is ridiculous. The man is not stupid. Kim K needs Tyler Perry more than Tyler Perry needs Kim K so I am not sure why he chose her but I will as well as most of my friends if not all (african american and white) will keep watching. Eventually the man will have to expand his horizon and there is nothing anybody can do about it not even Tyler Perry. I have only seen one of his movies from beginning to end and if any other one catches my attention I will go watch. I will be even more interested if it was more diverse.

PS
When I went to the movies to go so the one I actually saw from beginning to the end we were the only black people there though it was a predominantly white area but the movie theater had a nice turn out for the movie. I don't believe there was even one white person in that one. So white people actually watch it too. Simple to watch movies that usually tell a story or have a life lesson to learn.
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by GossipGirl: 10:13pm On Nov 09, 2011
Where were these people when Madea 1 through 15 came out?!?!
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by anonymous6(f): 11:30pm On Nov 09, 2011
Outstrip:

He might have got his big break from those that actually used to watch his plays way back then and then followed him to the movies but they are not who keep him relevant. If he cast Kim K in his movies these same people will go watch. It will not affect a dime of the outcome of his movie. I don't even consider Tyler Perry Black Hollywood. I don't even consider him Hollywood yet but that is were he is headed. He is one of a kind right now. he is not the typical and I am sure if you ask him he will say he is not black Hollywood.
I also find it hard to believe that an educated black person would only expect Tyler Perry to cast black people in his movies. That is ridiculous. The man is not silly. Kim K needs Tyler Perry more than Tyler Perry needs Kim K so I am not sure why he chose her but I will as well as most of my friends if not all (african american and white) will keep watching. Eventually the man will have to expand his horizon and there is nothing anybody can do about it not even Tyler Perry. I have only seen one of his movies from beginning to end and if any other one catches my attention I will go watch. I will be even more interested if it was more diverse.

PS
When I went to the movies to go so the one I actually saw from beginning to the end we were the only black people there though it was a predominantly white area but the movie theater had a nice turn out for the movie. I don't believe there was even one white person in that one. So white people actually watch it too. Simple to watch movies that usually tell a story or have a life lesson to learn.

Actually Tyler Perry Represents Black Hollywood, Hollywood is run by white men and many in Hollywood don't respect him; yeah their are a few whites that watch Tyler Perry movies but his movies cater to the African american demographic, majority of his fans are african american so he should take what they say seriously. To down play that to me is sugar coding it. His studio and everything is in Atlanta. Many white americans don't care for african american movies and television and that are the movies Tyler Perry does, so they are not inclined to watch it. Tyler Perry is getting attention because he is making movies for his demographic, and making alot of money for it, so Hollywood is taking a close look at him; but his movies represent the african american culture, black hollywood, & in a way another entity of Hollywood, that is just a fact.

Personally I am happy for Tyler Perry success but I am not a fan of his shows or all his movies, but I feel it is important he has a majority african american cast or black cast because his movies are catering to a community that is ignored by top white men in Hollywood that own Warner brothers, Paramount, Universal studios, and etc. Each community has a right to have a movie industry that caters to them , and black Hollywood caters to Black americans & african americans just like Bollywood caters to hindi and indian people in India and all of southeast Asia.

[b]If Perry Can Do Bad All By Himself, Should Black Critics Assign His Films to “Perry’s Inferno”?

We live in the age of Tyler Perry.

He is everywhere – on billboards, in sitcom credits, in profiles of Hollywood heavyweights. His stage and screen creation, Madea – a feisty, linebacker of a grandmother – has joined the pantheon of black comedic characters, a hall of fame that includes Flip Wilson’s Geraldine and Bill Cosby’s Fat Albert. And soon, Perry will appear in a thriller as the crime-solving psychologist Alex Cross, a role made famous by Oscar-winner Morgan Freeman. The film will be shot in Cleveland starting next month.

Perry is arguably the most successful black film director, producer and screenwriter in history, a mogul whose status in Hollywood is a testament to his business acumen and artistic ingenuity. Why then are there so many Tyler Perry haters?

There’s a huge market for his films. But the black literati have designated a special place in hell for them: Perry’s Inferno. The criticisms are harsh indeed. They go something like this:

•    Tyler Perry is the “KFC of black cinema.”
•    Tyler Perry’s television shows contain “old stereotypes of buffoonish, emasculated black men and crass, sassy black women.”
•    Tyler Perry is a no-count filmmaker whose works are excuses for feel-good sermonizing, not vehicles for human drama that will enlighten us.

This is just not the kind of criticism you’d expect to hear about a major black artist in the era of Obama. It sounds like disapproval for another era – that of the actor popularly known as Sleep ’n Eat, Willie Best’s character of the 1930s.

“I feel like Tyler Perry’s films are bad for your brain,” said Touré, TV host and cultural critic. “They promote a sort of victimhood: it is good and comfortable and okay to be a victim, especially in [the movie] ‘For Colored Girls,’ [featuring women] who are getting beat down by life in various ways and then at the end, they hug. They make no material change. They don’t get rid of the villains in their life. They don’t make attempts to move upward. They just hug. It’s victim indecency. I don’t think it’s positive to tell black people it’s okay to be victims.”

While Touré’s take is severe, he’s not the harshest critic out there. Seemingly, the king of Perry bosoms is Spike Lee, ’80s film maverick, Oscar nominee, and unofficial dean of modern black filmmakers. Lee pulls no punches in his discussions of Perry’s film aesthetics. He has been quoted as saying this:

“We shouldn’t think that Tyler Perry is going to make the same film that I am going to make … As African Americans, we’re not one monolithic group so there’s room for all of that, but at the same time, for me, the imagery is troubling and it harkens back to ‘Amos ‘n Andy.’”

Perry’s fans object, and not just verbally. They support him with their wallets. Perry has to be the most popular black filmmaker in history, perhaps because his films bask in the glow of the Southern black church, and are rooted in the ideals of prayer, faith, and family values. Some (not all) of his films seem like wholesome fare for picnic afternoons. And for many movie-goers, there’s value in that.

Black folk are hungry for stories that reflect their experiences, and Perry has tapped a deep vein of pent-up demand for black imagery both on screen and on stage. And it’s making him a bundle of money.

His “Meet the Browns” sitcom is one of the highest rated shows on TBS. Forbes ranked him as the sixth highest paid man in Hollywood – back in 2009. He signed a 100-episode deal for the “House of Payne” TV show, a deal valued at $200 million.

Many people think his accomplishments should be celebrated. He has come a long way from being mired in neglect and poverty, from dropping out of high school and attempting suicide as a boy to escape his father’s beatings. Perry says he learned from watching the “Oprah Winfrey Show” that writing can be therapeutic, and so he found refuge in words, eventually put $12,000 of his life savings on the line to finance his own musical, “I Know I’ve Been Changed.” He molded it into a hit, and he has never looked back.

Today, millions of people attend his stage productions and movies, laughing and loving the bold, pocketbook-flinging antics of Madea and the foolery of a castful of Perry characters. The laughter emanating from Perry’s audiences, due to the recognition of down-home truths about African American character traits, makes Lee’s audiences seem monkish in comparison.

Tyler Perry’s capitalist credentials are of a much higher order than Spike Lee’s. By 2005, according to Forbes, Perry had hit the jackpot: ticket sales in excess of $100 million, $30 million in video sales, and $20 million in merchandise sales. By then, he had ramped up to 300 live shows per year, which attracted weekly audiences of 35,000 people during tours of the so-called “chitlin circuit” of urban theaters. As of last month his films have raked in $500 million at the box office.

Still, waves of criticism keep rolling in, causing Perry to strike back. In reaction to the Spike Lee criticisms, Tyler Perry lashed out in the media earlier this year: “I’m so sick of hearing about damn Spike Lee. Spike can go straight to hell! I am sick of him saying, ‘This is a coon, this is a buffoon.’ I am sick of him talking about black people going to see movies. This is what he said: ‘You vote by what you see’ – as if black people don’t know what they want to see. I am sick of him. He talked about Whoopi, he talked about Oprah, he talked about me, he talked about Clint Eastwood. Spike Lee needs to shut the hell up!”

The Tyler Perry vs. Spike Lee spat has been called the modern-day version of the W.E.B. DuBois vs. Booker T. Washington rivalry.  Lee strongly disagrees with what some would characterize as Perry’s more conciliatory tone of black progress, just as DuBois spoke out against Washington’s acquiescent views of racial uplift through segregation and disenfranchisement.

Each has his defenders, and some people argue that the entertainment world needs both voices. But not Touré: “It’s hard for me to accept this argument that, well, we need both of them. I think we need people who make uplifting films where people try to move upward in their lives and not just accept victimhood.”

Touré  added: “Spike is making something that is artful, intelligent … He is far from a perfect filmmaker, but he is attempting art. What is Tyler Perry good at? Marketing? Is he good at cinematography? No. Screenwriting? No. Set building and designing? No. Dialogue? No. Working with actors and getting the most from them? No. Not only am I struggling to figure out what Tyler Perry is good at as a filmmaker; I think that he is purposely and willfully ignorant of what it means and takes to be a good filmmaker. It’s just not of interest to him. He works quickly. He doesn’t really have any concern for back story or details. If he were making chairs, they would fall apart.”
Perry’s defenders include Oprah Winfrey and Will Smith, immensely powerful Hollywood figures. Winfrey, for her part, offers that Madea is not negative or degrading, but that she’s an amalgamation of the strong black women who touched Perry’s life early on and who survived the vicissitudes of black life that would almost surely crush others.

Other black producers come to Perry’s defense too. “I actually admire what Tyler is doing,” said James DuBose, CEO of DuBose Entertainment, whose credits include the “Bad Boys of Comedy” on HBO and “Super Agent” on SPIKE TV, as well as shows for BET and NBC. “I’m a fan.”

He added: “It’s not like in our black community we don’t have an array of experiences. I just think that everybody should have the opportunity to articulate black life the way they experience it. … And I just think more of that should actually be shown in cinema and television.”

Hollywood – along with Wall Street and Madison Avenue – see African Americans as an increasingly powerful market segment with wide ranging movie-going tastes. Some 81% of movies seen by blacks do not feature a lead black star or have a black story line, according to a BET survey. The study also pointed out that only 3 of this year’s top 19 films featured black leads – Perry’s “For Colored Girls,” “Big Mama’s House: Like Father, Like Son,” and Perry’s “Why Did I Get Married Too?”

Also, blacks are more avid movie-goers than other groups, making 195 million trips to movie theaters annually – going twice per month on average for a minimum of 28 times per year.

What do they choose to view? Blacks spent the most to see comedy ($3.6 billion), followed by action-adventure ($2.8 billion), romance ($1.6 billion), sci-fi/fantasy/horror ($1.2 billion), animation ($1.2 billion), mystery/suspense ($1.1 billion) and children/teen/family fare ($835 million), the BET study found.

In light of this, Perry is attempting to give black audiences what they want – a smart business decision, no doubt. His comedies are aimed squarely at the largest segment of black cinema-goers

"Still, black cinema cannot be neatly divided into two camps, the Perryists vs. the Lees; there are other influential black directors and producers, among them Antoine Fuqua (“Training Day”), John Singleton (“Boyz N the Hood”) and Darnell Martin (“Cadillac Records”), the first black woman to have a major studio release. And then there are the independents – black filmmakers who add their voice to the black film vernacular by raising their own funds and negotiating their own distribution deals.

One such filmmaker is Ava DuVernay, head of a publicity firm that has worked on more than 100 film and television projects, including “Dreamgirls” and “Invictus.”  Last year, DuVernay directed three documentaries that were broadcast on BET and TV One. This year, she completed a feature film, “I Will Follow,“ which she wrote, directed and financed. The film, which stars Salli Richardson, received a thumbs-up from critic Roger Ebert and was released in AMC Theaters. It grossed $11,500 per screen on average, showing at 22 screens in 15 cities, so she was able to recoup her investment quickly.

DuVernay embraces the DIT – or Do It Together – concept. She helped create an organization other filmmakers can join — the African American Film Festival Releasing Movement. A small group that lends its creative talents to build grass-root support for indie films.

Also, instead of selling the DVD rights, she packaged and distributed the film on her own. “I made more money than the deals I was offered,” she told a blogger. “Companies take your DVD rights for 20 years. We made back our money in one year doing it on our own. We sold it to small hip hop and record stores. Then we got into Netflix and iTunes. We did get a Showtime deal that I orchestrated.”

Working in this fashion is perhaps the best way to circumvent the studio system and get your film out to audiences. DuVernay continued: “I work to make my films and to self-finance them. They’ll have small budgets – the  price of small cars. It’s really low budget filmmaking. A lot of people are doing it well.” Her goal is make one movie per year.

But getting a film produced and financed is difficult, particularly in this economy. “There aren’t that many black people that have significant amounts of disposable or investable cash, giving hundreds of thousands of dollars to films that may or may not make some money,” said Touré.

When you examine the economics of black film, the Tyler Perry juggernaut is a major success.  He puts black actors and film crews to work, no mean feat in a depressed economy. Those who don’t like the product must either balance the Perry imagery with their own cinematic creations, vote with their wallets, or lodge complaints –but as we all know, complaining certainly won’t stop the Perry show."[/b]
http://atlantapost.com/2011/07/25/hating-tyler-perry-why-does-he-raise-the-ire-of-the-black-intelligentsia/
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by Outstrip(f): 11:52pm On Nov 09, 2011
anonymous6:

Actually Tyler Perry Represents Black Hollywood, Hollywood is run by white men and many in Hollywood don't respect him; yeah their are a few whites that watch Tyler Perry movies but his movies cater to the African american demographic, majority of his fans are african american so he should take what they say seriously. To down play that to me is sugar coding it. His studio and everything is in Atlanta. Many white americans don't care for african american movies and television and that are the movies Tyler Perry does, so they are not inclined to watch it. Tyler Perry is getting attention because he is making movies for his demographic, and making alot of money for it, so Hollywood is taking a close look at him; but his movies represent the african american culture & black hollywood, that is just a fact.

Only by default. I am not sugar coating it. He has to be diverse or it just will not work in the long run. He knows it too. The idea that black people will be the one to determine his longevity is just wrong. Black people need to get over this "he is our's" mentality. At the end of the day he is a business man and Hollywood is taking note but he knows he needs to step up his game to take this to the next level. Maybe he will come up with a formula to throw in a couple of white people in every other film he does. grin As long as you put church and a couple of people singing then a certain demographic will go watch it but like I said when I went to go see the last one (I think) that he released it was pretty much all white people with a very nice turn out
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by anonymous6(f): 11:54pm On Nov 09, 2011
Outstrip:

Only by default. I am not sugar coating it. He has to be diverse or it just will not work in the long run. He knows it too. The idea that black people will be the one to determine his longevity is just wrong. Black people need to get over this "he is our's" mentality. At the end of the day he is a business man and Hollywood is taking note but he knows he needs to step up his game to take this to the next level. Maybe he will come up with a formula to throw in a couple of white people in every other film he does.  grin As long as you put church and a couple of people singing then a certain demographic will go watch it but like I said when I went to go see the last one (I think) that he released it was pretty much all white people with a very nice turn out

I am not denying that white people see his movies, however it is not a big population of them, but no matter what majority of the cast in his movies will always have to be african american because no matter what majority of the people going to see his movies in theaters are black, particularly african american. This route that you said that he has to be more diverse well if he represents Hollywood he can but that will mean he would do less movies that centers around african american cultures which includes the southern church life; Majority of whites don't like gospel southern churches it is not their style. Famous african american director Spike Lee did what you are saying he should do, and as years went by he stop making movies centering around his community & he lost his uniqueness, that he doesn't make successful movies like he did back in the 80's like jungle fever or do the right thing.

Legendary actor Harry belafonte said this to that Hollywood would never give african americans a chance in hollywood, it is up to african americans to do movies for their own:

"84-year-old legendary actor and entertainer Harry Belafonte says Hollywood has yet to explore the black experience and states that the industry will “never ever yield to the needs of the people of color.”

Mr. Belafonte made the remarks at a presentation on artists and activism held Wednesday [July 27] during the 102nd annual National Association for the Advancement of Colored People’s Convention.

Black thespians Louis Gossett Jr., Tatyana Ali, Hill Harper and members of the Black Stuntmen’s Association appeared alongside Belafonte at the panel discussion. He urged the NAACP to form a group of artists and thinkers to inspire the kind of “radical thought” necessary for change, and he called on black actors and filmmakers to “come together and create some institutional base that’s ours.”"

"“It seems to me that long ago we could have put together black studios, put together a black distribution center,” Belafonte said. “Maybe we couldn’t reach 100 million, but we could reach 100,000, and have 100,000 exposed to a great truth. I’d rather have that than 100 million exposed to something vacuous and inaccurate.”"

Belafonte also said that:

"“…in pursuit of ego, in pursuit of large, ridiculous sums of money, we have sold our birthright that somehow we are more victim than we are responsible.”"

"Though Mr. Belafonte was the most outspoken of the panelists, the other actors agreed that black artists and consumers are responsible for changing the way the entertainment industry represents people of color."

"“It’s very hard to find roles that I can be proud of,” said Ali, 32. “The archetypes for black women specifically have not fully been explored.”"

"Alex Brown and Willis Harris, representing the Black Stuntmen’s Association, talked about their experience fighting for change: They created the BSA in 1966 to end the exclusion of black stunt performers from Hollywood productions. Until then, white stuntmen were “painted” to perform stunts for black actors.

The performers all said that activism and education are essential to advancement in Hollywood. Belafonte said “radical thought” is critical."

"“You’re not going to find solutions until you’re willing to embrace radical thought,” he said. “Every time black people moved ahead in the history of this country is because somewhere in this nation, a group of people dared to think radically and do radical things.”"
http://blackthespian.com/harry-belafonte-hollywood-will-never-yield-to-the-needs-of-people-of-color/
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by Outstrip(f): 12:02am On Nov 10, 2011
Tyler Perry is no Spike Lee. I don't know how long he can keep this type of Tyler Perry thing going. It is not thought provoking. He will have to change his MO
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by anonymous6(f): 12:06am On Nov 10, 2011
Outstrip:

Tyler Perry is no Spike Lee. I don't know how long he can keep this type of Tyler Perry thing going. It is not thought provoking. He will have to change his MO

I agree, there will always be a disagreement between the two but it seems to me most african americans to a extent have sided with Tyler but there are many that agree with Spike though
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by tammyswits(f): 7:23am On Nov 10, 2011
Am not just black, am African, but i think the blacks are more racist than the whites, Kim is a LovePeddler, but are the blacks they want to see in the movie any better?
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by omar22(m): 12:18pm On Nov 10, 2011
I like Tyler Perry, but its looney if he thinks pandering to the black community would get him to the top, most of his films are low budget films and most of the actors and actresses he has used were low earners as well, knowing that the only Whoopi Goldberg and Thandie Newton where the highest profile artist he has used in his movies speaks volume, but common he has to grow, I used to like the low budget black films (like the bestman, The Wood, Love and Basket Ball etc but I quickly got bored of them, yes I do like watching Taye Digg, Nia Long, Sanaa, Terence Howard. But I want more from a movie not just the problems in the black community, but a real movie with a fantastic storyline, and who cares about the colour of the person playing the leading role! If someone ask me if I have the choice between 2 movies one Halle Berry is playing the leading role and is been played by Gabrielle Union. I would pick Halle Berry because I know that she would only act in movies that has almost a perfect storyline, not some gang related, in the hood type of attitude movie.
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by anonymous6(f): 2:24pm On Nov 10, 2011
tammyswits:

Am not just black, am African, but i think the blacks are more racist than the whites, Kim is a LovePeddler, but are the blacks they want to see in the movie any better?

I am not disagreeing or agreeing but I think you need to be specific because black africans are not the ones complaining about Tyler Perry it is his african american community, big difference. His movies reflect his communities culture not mine; so thats a issue african americans need to debate about. Africans are progressing their own cinema.
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by anonymous6(f): 2:45pm On Nov 10, 2011
omar22:

I like Tyler Perry, but its looney if he thinks pandering to the black community would get him to the top, most of his films are low budget films and most of the actors and actresses he has used were low earners as well, knowing that the only Whoopi Goldberg and Thandie Newton where the highest profile artist he has used in his movies speaks volume, but common he has to grow, I used to like the low budget black films (like the bestman, The Wood, Love and Basket Ball etc but I quickly got bored of them, yes I do like watching Taye Digg, Nia Long, Sanaa, Terence Howard. But I want more from a movie not just the problems in the black community, but a real movie with a fantastic storyline, and who cares about the colour of the person playing the leading role! If someone ask me if I have the choice between 2 movies one Halle Berry is playing the leading role and is been played by Gabrielle Union. I would pick Halle Berry because I know that she would only act in movies that has almost a perfect storyline, not some gang related, in the hood type of attitude  movie.

In America it is a big issue, because many african americans have been ignored by Hollwyood for decades; so now that they are doing movies for themselves, they want to see their own in them because hollywood doesn't cater to them in their movies. That is the dilemma going on in America now facing Black american directors, where is the balance it's either they follow Spike lee's path or Tyler Perry's path. To me personally I could care less, I actually watch more Hollywood movies more then Black Hollywood movies, I'd rather watch the movie Lord Of the Rings, The proposal or Indiana Jones, and etc then Brown sugar, meet the browns, ATL, and etc. I'm not really interested in Black American movies most of the time; I have watch some though but not much to make a significance. The issue with Black hollywood is they have a dilemma, either do movies that center around african americans and their culture or assimilate with Hollywood and do movies where majority of the cast is not african american but white; and get more international recognition. The hard part of that is they will be competting with the big Dogs of Hollywood like Steven Speilberg, James cameron, white owned Hollywood studios like Warner bros, Paramount, Universal studios and etc to really get noticed(which is tough, Sipke Lee is still battling that from what I have heard) but the downfall is it will be a hollywood movie that has nothing to do with the african american community & they will be doing more of what Hollywood has been doing when it comes to movies and excluding african americans. It is sad but the hard truth. The only Black hollywood movies that seem to have made Hollywood success are "Dream girl", "Ray", and other Oscar winning african american movies like that as well(which is a small population).
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by Outstrip(f): 3:02pm On Nov 10, 2011
Okay there have always been black movies but not really main stream. i think the issue here is that some black people feel that Tyler Perry should ONLY make one type of movie style. He is not even branching into a different genre he is just using a non white actress and people are getting constipated. Brown Sugar is probably one of my favorite modern love stories and I like Taye Diggs but look how far he has come. Though he is just an actor he did not just stay with the genre that had given him popularity. He is on a very mainstream TV show right now. Tyler Perry will be directing (Ithink) a Patterson movie soon and I believe also acting in it. He will not always do these sort of movies that we see now and I insist that it will not be the end of his career either. If black people want to boycott one of their own then by all means let them. It is not the first time that we have used our own hands to tear down our own and it will not be the last
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by iice(f): 3:25pm On Nov 10, 2011
Don't really care. When i see something different, i may have interest.
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by anonymous6(f): 6:01pm On Nov 10, 2011
Outstrip:

Okay there have always been black movies but not really main stream. i think the issue here is that some black people feel that Tyler Perry should ONLY make one type of movie style. He is not even branching into a different genre he is just using a non white black actress and people are getting constipated. Brown Sugar is probably one of my favorite modern love stories and I like Taye Diggs but look how far he has come. Though he is just an actor he did not just stay with the genre that had given him popularity. He is on a very mainstream TV show right now. Tyler Perry will be directing (Ithink) a Patterson movie soon and I believe also acting in it. He will not always do these sort of movies that we see now and I insist that it will not be the end of his career either. If black people want to boycott one of their own then by all means let them. It is not the first time that we have used our own hands to tear down our own and it will not be the last

That is a dillema that Tyler Perry will face with the african american community, I wish him good luck.
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by omar22(m): 7:03pm On Nov 10, 2011
Tyler Perry it is his african american community,

The same Community that first said Barack Obama has no chance in winning the democrat ticket let alone becoming the US President,
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by anonymous6(f): 7:33pm On Nov 10, 2011
omar22:

The same Community that first said Barack Obama has no chance in winning the democrat ticket let alone becoming the US President,

yup that is the same community
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by sorealguy: 7:44pm On Nov 10, 2011
Hi, I guess 2day has really been okay 4 u. Thank God. I noticed u removed me. I understand anyway, although u should have given me a little time more. I sent u a mail and I will be grateful if u read it now (tjnigeria). Thanks
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by omar22(m): 9:06pm On Nov 10, 2011
In America it is a big issue, because many african americans have been ignored by Hollwyood for decades;

excuse me, Sidney Poitier won an Oscar in the 60's Dorothy Dandridge was a nominee in the 50s dont ever say Hollywood has been ignoring African American actors if they are good they would pick them
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by anonymous6(f): 9:40pm On Nov 10, 2011
omar22:

excuse me,  Sidney Poitier won an Oscar in the 60's Dorothy Dandridge was a nominee in the 50s dont ever say Hollywood has been ignoring African American actors if they are good they would pick them

Actually they do, the Oscars are irrelevant; it is documented in most media's in the America, after Sidney Poiteir's win, another Black wasn't nominated & won for a "best Role" ("not supporting role"wink until 2002 with halle Berry and Denzel Washington. So I will keep saying that Hollywood ignores  african americans even the legendary actor Harry Belonfonte, NAACP, and many others have said this, and this history is known. This doesn't bother me but this is known but the reason they ignore them today because some people in hollywood don't consider african americans bankable unless they are Will smith or Denzel Waashington

"84-year-old legendary actor and entertainer Harry Belafonte says Hollywood has yet to explore the black experience and states that the industry will “never ever yield to the needs of the people of color.”

Mr. Belafonte made the remarks at a presentation on artists and activism held Wednesday [July 27] during the 102nd annual National Association for the Advancement of Colored People’s Convention.

Black thespians Louis Gossett Jr., Tatyana Ali, Hill Harper and members of the Black Stuntmen’s Association appeared alongside Belafonte at the panel discussion. He urged the NAACP to form a group of artists and thinkers to inspire the kind of “radical thought” necessary for change, and he called on black actors and filmmakers to “come together and create some institutional base that’s ours.”"

"“It seems to me that long ago we could have put together black studios, put together a black distribution center,” Belafonte said. “Maybe we couldn’t reach 100 million, but we could reach 100,000, and have 100,000 exposed to a great truth. I’d rather have that than 100 million exposed to something vacuous and inaccurate.”"

Belafonte also said that:

"“…in pursuit of ego, in pursuit of large, ridiculous sums of money, we have sold our birthright that somehow we are more victim than we are responsible.”"

"Though Mr. Belafonte was the most outspoken of the panelists, the other actors agreed that black artists and consumers are responsible for changing the way the entertainment industry represents people of color."

"“It’s very hard to find roles that I can be proud of,” said Ali, 32. “The archetypes for black women specifically have not fully been explored.”"

"Alex Brown and Willis Harris, representing the Black Stuntmen’s Association, talked about their experience fighting for change: They created the BSA in 1966 to end the exclusion of black stunt performers from Hollywood productions. Until then, white stuntmen were “painted” to perform stunts for black actors.

The performers all said that activism and education are essential to advancement in Hollywood. Belafonte said “radical thought” is critical."

"“You’re not going to find solutions until you’re willing to embrace radical thought,” he said. “Every time black people moved ahead in the history of this country is because somewhere in this nation, a group of people dared to think radically and do radical things.”"
http://blackthespian.com/harry-belafonte-hollywood-will-never-yield-to-the-needs-of-people-of-color/
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by omar22(m): 9:58pm On Nov 10, 2011
Actually they do, the Oscars are irrelevant; it is documented in most media's in the media, after Sidney Poiteir another Black wasn't nominated or won until 2002 with halle Berry and Denzel Washington. So I will keep saying that Hollywood ignores even the legendat actor Harry Belonfonte and many others have said this, and this history is known

Morgan Freeman was nominated 5 times from the 80s to this Millennium before he won over 5 years ago

Denzil Won it 88 in Glory he was also nominated the year Sean Connery and Kevin Spacey won it

Whoopi won it in her role in Ghost in 90

Angela Bassett was nominated for her role in Whats Love got to do with it

Larry Fishbourne was nominated twice

Cuba Gooding Jnr won it in 96 in Jerry Maguire

Louis Gossett, Jr. won it in 1982

I cant remember all of them but dont say they didnt give AA the chance, the cream would always raise to the top
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by anonymous6(f): 10:08pm On Nov 10, 2011
omar22:

Morgan Freeman was nominated 5 times from the 80s to this Millennium before he won over 5 years ago

Denzil Won it 88 in Glory he was also nominated the year Sean Connery and Kevin Spacey won it

Whoopi won it  in her role in Ghost in 90

Angela Bassett was nominated for her role in Whats Love got to do with it

Larry Fishbourne was nominated twice

Cuba Gooding Jnr won it in 96 in Jerry Maguire

Louis Gossett, Jr. won it in 1982

I cant remember all of them but dont say they didnt give AA the chance,  the cream would always raise to the top

The Angela Basset & larry Fishbourne nominations are irrelevant, winning is what people remember. Cuba, Louis, & whoopi won supporting roles, and denzels win was a supporting role in  88, I already know this but as I said before the oscars are irrelevant when it comes to Hollywood in general. So sorry I will keep saying they don't really give african americans a chance; the oscars is not the head of Hollywood. The Oscars are not the head of Paramount, Warner brothers and etc. The Oscars has done all they can do but they don't control hollywood, so your list of a few doesn't change the Hollywood establishment. They cater to the majority of Americans which is white Americans, and they would rather put more of whites then Blacks. this is not a given, everybody knows this in America, especially the minorities. They do it to other races like asians, huspanics and etc, and it is worse.

The Oscars have tried but they don't control the hollywood establishment
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by Outstrip(f): 11:29pm On Nov 10, 2011
Denzel won for Training Day
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by anonymous6(f): 11:41pm On Nov 10, 2011
Outstrip:

Denzel won for Training Day

I already know that, I mentioned that earlier when I said him and Halle won in 2002
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by Outstrip(f): 11:54pm On Nov 10, 2011
Just read your last post. Just adding unto what you and Omar were discussing
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by anonymous6(f): 11:57pm On Nov 10, 2011
Outstrip:

Just read your last post. Just adding unto what you and Omar were discussing

oh ok
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by omar22(m): 12:14am On Nov 11, 2011
The Angela Basset & larry Fishbourne nominations are irrelevant, winning is what people remember. Cuba, Louis, & whoopi won supporting roles, and denzels win was a supporting role in  88, I already know this but as I said before the oscars are irrelevant when it comes to Hollywood in general. So sorry I will keep saying they don't really give african americans a chance; the oscars is not the head of Hollywood. The Oscars are not the head of Paramount, Warner brothers and etc. The Oscars has done all they can do but they don't control hollywood, so your list of a few doesn't change the Hollywood establishment. They cater to the majority of Americans which is white Americans, and they would rather put more of whites then Blacks. this is not a given, everybody knows this in America, especially the minorities. They do it to other races like asians, huspanics and etc, and it is worse.

Its an honour to be nominated. Tell me where you think a blackman should have won? I didnt say Oscar control Hollywood, the harsh truth is the creame would always rise to the top, this is the movie industry, its not a public sector,  they are there to make money, which story sells most. I am not going to be brain-washed into "the oh because they were black syndrome" again, if black actors want to reach the top then they should step up, look at Denzil or Will Smith or Forest Whittaker these are people who step out of there comfort zone, Look at Vivica Fox? very soon she would join Nollywood!
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by omar22(m): 12:19am On Nov 11, 2011
This doesn't bother me but this is known but the reason they ignore them today because some people in hollywood don't consider african americans bankable unless they are Will smith or Denzel Waashington

well its the harsh truth, Denzil is one of the best, Will Smith writes his own movies big difference to the crash bang wallop actors,
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by anonymous6(f): 1:42am On Nov 11, 2011
omar22:

Its an honour to be nominated. Tell me where you think a blackman should have won? I didnt say Oscar control Hollywood, the harsh truth is the creame would always rise to the top, this is the movie industry, its not a public sector,  they are there to make money, which story sells most. I am not going to be brain-washed into "the oh because they were black syndrome" again, i[b]f black actors want to reach the top then they should step up, look at Denzil or Will Smith or Forest Whittaker these are people who step out of there comfort zone, Look at Vivica Fox? very soon she would join Nollywood![/b]

yeah it's a honor to be nominated but it doesn't mean things will change over night, easier said then done, hollywood caters to the majority in America, and the majority would rather see their own, and if they see a popular african american, he better be Denzel and she better be Zoe Saldana, but for the rest it doesn't matter how much they step up. This is not about brainwashing, it is just how it is. Hollywood is mostly owned by white men so no matter how they step up it won't change any time soon. Plus quite frankly Denzel is one of my favorite actors but I doubt I will see another african american man that will be up to the level of denzel because many black men that do acting now, the newbie's are ghetto and hood actors as far as I am concerned(except Forest Whitaker, Idris Elba though, these men have class).

Hollywood is not the saviour industries for all races, theres nothing wrong in breaking into hollywood but to me I feel cultures and communities around the world should create their own film industries in the world. Bollywood has and has beated hollywood as the number one film industry in southeast asia, Nollywood has and has beaten hollywood as the number one film industry in sub-sahran africa. Even in Mexico the hispanic film industry is booming. Hollywood needs to start feeling competition in order to see the importance of others, and they are feeling it now internationally. As I said Hollywood is not bad per say and their is nothing wrong with Blacks getting nominated or winning a oscar but that doesn't mean hollywood will change their attitude for Black people in general or other non-white races. You shouldn't forget hollywood is a business to, movie making business.

I admire what you are saying & agree to a extent but I just feel the world is not just simply black and white there is a little grey, and sometimes things are not that simple.
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by anonymous6(f): 1:44am On Nov 11, 2011
omar22:

well its the harsh truth, Denzil is one of the best, Will Smith writes his own movies big difference to the crash slam wallop actors,

yeah they are the best from the african american community

(1) (2) (Reply)

Niyola & Banky W In A Cuddly Pose + Niyola Without Make-up (photos) / Timaya Shows Off Blown Up Condom On Stage [photos] / Nigerian Yoruba Actor/filmmaker,tunde Dickson Ties The Knot!marries Secret Lover

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.