Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,879 members, 7,895,800 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 July 2024 at 06:19 PM

Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? (13513 Views)

Harry Potter And The Sorcerers Stone / Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Book 7! / Best Harry Potter Book? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by Todd(m): 8:32pm On Jan 12, 2006
some of whose films?
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by Todd(m): 8:57pm On Jan 12, 2006
yeah.. so i like how i kinda schooled everyone, like everyone stopped posting after i posted my 3 posts, (essays worth) no one to have a argumentitive dicussion with cry
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by allonym: 1:37am On Jan 13, 2006
Todd:

yeah.. so i like how i kind of schooled everyone, like everyone stopped posting after i posted my 3 posts, (essays worth) no one to have a argumentitive dicussion with cry

I'm kinda tired and i agree with your posts, though if you want, I can take a counter position to argue against you.

B.T.W: You did not school everyone, for example, you cannot possibly school Chuck Norris. He's so great:

Chuck Norris built a time machine and went back in time to stop the JFK assassination. As Oswald shot, Chuck met all three bullets with his beard, deflecting them. JFK's head exploded out of sheer amazement.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by Todd(m): 10:32pm On Jan 13, 2006
its cause i am that amazing, but who is chuck noris? i have heard that name before..
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by nikkylolly(f): 12:06pm On Jan 14, 2006
I've read n watch Harry Potter movies and I don't think it encourages witchcraft. It's magic not witchcraft. Harry Potter is just a fantasy movie, it just for fun. I agree with what Salako said.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by fauziyya(f): 10:40am On Jan 16, 2006
I have read and watched Harry potter upto the goblet of fire.to me its ok but i agree with pple that say that it makes the kids imagination go wild.i think thats the idea of the books but quite frankly it does have magic inside.but it means nothing to me.all those that say they would rather read ladybirds books should also think again.....every book that is a fantasy always has magic,witchcraft etc.they only thing that differentiates i from the other is the level of magic and so on that is being used.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by Todd(m): 1:06am On Jan 17, 2006
Ladybrid books

@Fauziyya Good Job you got it
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by justme: 3:03pm On Jan 30, 2006
i decided to contribute to this topic because, last week a friend of mine, discouraged me from going in search of harry potters latest movie(goblet of fire) his argument is that since i have younger ones at home i don't need any harry potter stuff around me since according to him"it encourages witch craft".
Anyway, to cut it short, i told him that though am yet to read any of harry potters books but the movies so far hasn't got anything that will encourage witchcraft, besides i see it as comic, its not scary or anything like that, also i think it will only become what we make of it, that is, if we see it as a bad influence on the kids, then it will go ahead and become one, anyway this my opinion.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by bebe6(f): 6:11pm On Jan 30, 2006
Will not allow niece and nephews to be entertained by the likes of Harry Potter via books or movies!
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by justme: 9:05am On Jan 31, 2006
b-e-b-e, and avian, sorry about this, but you guys are a million years behind civillization! angry
harry potter does not , and can not encourage witch craft, except the person decides to be a witch and even at that reading or watching HP will not help the person in that direction.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by bebe6(f): 7:35pm On Jan 31, 2006
justme:

b-e-b-e, and avian, sorry about this, but you guys are a million years behind civillization! angry
harry potter does not , and can not encourage witch craft, except the person decides to be a witch and even at that reading or watching HP will not help the person in that direction.

pshhhh!
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by nikinash(f): 1:59pm On Feb 06, 2006
its hardly surprising that some people do not think harry porter encourages withcraft. is magic of God? absolutely not! but then you would have to be someone who knows God to understand that.

because many of us grew up watching magical stories fo the cinderellas and the like does not in any way also suggest that as you grow and know better u would continue with such. and it does not mean you are denying your kids anything. i would never allow my kids to watch harry porter because it definitely encourages witchcraft. haven't you heard how kids try to invoke spells on others and how they all write the author to know how to get to hogwart? and if you think the kids don't know why they are doing that, you are greatly mistaken.

A lot of people especially in the western world (sorry to say) have lost their consciousness of who God is, so it would not matter anyway to them that harry porter engenders the practice of witchcraft in watchers and readers, especially innocent little children. its also the reason why you find young people getting hold of guns and killing innocent colleagues and teachers. u dont have to draw pentagrams and dance inside lighted candles before you actually prcatice withcraft.

unfortunate as it may seem, despite the creativity and all that, harry porter definitely encourages witchcraft and the people i am most sorry for apart for those who deny that it does, are the teenage actors themselves.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by Todd(m): 10:36pm On Feb 06, 2006
@ nikinash have you ever wished you had special powers, like to be able to fly, or teleport, or become invisible, or to have physic powers? every kid had has that desire, but is that evil or bad. having special powers could be esentually classifyed as "witchcraft." kids run around pretending they are flying, or are invisible, ect, and is that evil? are they using powers from god?

have you ever watched Superman cartoons? that dude can fly, and shoot laser beams out of his eyes, have you ever wanted to be just like him. in HP "windgardium Levasoa" (srry fans about inorrect spelling) makes things levitate. now speed+levitation=flight, so flying has a direct connection to "witchcraft" apperntly. so does that mean SuperMan or Wonder woman are evil

Santa Claus, he manages to deliver presents to all the children of the world, in about 12-15 hrs (15 becasue of timezones) his reindeer are super, do the math; carrying like over 3 tons weight of toys, +the sled. + santa himself, that is like major weight. now 12 super reindeer, can fly, and have super speed. (not to mention endurance). is santa and his reindeer practicing witchcraft?

please, name some popular cartoons, and explain the plot lines and characters to me some time. then take a look at the superabilitys in them.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by GL(f): 12:36am On Feb 11, 2006
Of course, Harry Potter encourages witchcraft. Why? Because it portrays it witchcraft as having power to do good or bad. Like you can do a lot of good for people through witchcraft. It gives one the impression that you can either be a good or a bad witch. In other words, it isn't a bad thing. Now, everyone loves to have power.

I think the question should have been if it is good for children. For those who do not believe in witchcraft (or its existence), Harry Potter is just a figment of the author's imagination and is a great book.

But for those of us who believe witchcraft is bad, always bad. Harry Potter isn't a good book for children, maybe even adults.

I read Harry Potter some years ago, when I was 13. I LOVED it, couldn't put it down. It was so interesting, I took it to the school chapel during service and even read it during prep the night before exam. Before reading it I heard ppl say it wasn't good, witchcraft etc. I read it anyway. After reading it I thought about it for a long time (I'm like that after reading any interesting book) and actually began to wish I was a witch! When I told my friends, who hadn't read it, they were shocked. I began to explain to them how witchcraft could be used for good. It wasn't until someone sat me down and began to show me that the bible forbids any form of witchcraft (i'm a christian) that i came to my senses. I haven't read any other Harry Potter book since then.

Some ppl argue that it teaches morals. Personally, i believe that for religious ppl the holy books (in my case - The Bible) are all we need for inspiration and moral instruction. There are other books that teach morals without introducing witchcraft e.g. eze goes to school, without a silver spoon, second chance, mother's choice etc.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by Todd(m): 2:30am On Feb 13, 2006
As you said, "the bible forbids any practice of witchcraft." Does that mean it forbids people from reading "cinderlella," "sleeping beauty," "beauty and the beast," or for that matter anything from disney that is complete cartoon animated? The bible forbids anything that has to do with witchcraft, and the bible derives from the word of god, so that means that participating, reading, or passing stories relating to "witchcraft" is sinful, right? Now when you were a child and you lost your tooth. when your parents told you about the Tooth Fairy, wernt they sinning? I know you'll say "well the tooth faire isnt real," so heres my defence: Even though we know that the tooth faire isnt real, she/he or how ever it was explained to you is still a "fairy," which is classified as a "MAGICAL BEING" or magical tieing into witchcraft. we know Harry Potter  is just a made up fantasy about magic, or as you put it harshly "witchcraft" but you shun it none the less. why?

As I learned in my comparitive religions class in High school, Jesus went around the countryside preforming miricles, such as healing the blind and making them sighted, healing the crippled, healing lepers, and raising the dead. "raising the dead" that is some crazy stuff. that is also concidered "necromancy." now, when you say "necromancer" to someone, they think "witch/wizard/warlock ect." necromancy is a branch of witchcraft right? essenctually jesus was sinning, but lucky for Jesus, the bible wasnt written before he engaged in "witchcraft," but that just goes to show you that even Jesus practiced forms of witchcraft.

Ps. please stop calling Harry a "witch." "witch," is a term reserved for female practitioners of magic or whatever. "wizard" is usually male. Merlind was called a WIZARD because he is, well a "he."  had he been a she named "Merlinda" she would be called a WITCH.
it really irritates me when people misuse that term.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by GL(f): 3:03am On Feb 15, 2006
Looking at it from the bible's perspective,

Actually the Old Testament was written before Jesus came to the world and witchcraft is condemned there.

Biblically, witchcraft is using any other power apart from God's. Jesus did all He did thru' God's power so that is NOT witchcraft. He already answered that question in Luke 11.

I remember my parents not allowing me to read certain books because they felt they contained magical stuff. But I was a bookworm and ended up reading many such books.
Cindarella, Sleeping Beauty have magical tones too. And I know ppl whose parents didn't even let them read those.

Harry Potter, however, doesn't just talk about a fairy or witch casting a spell on someone. It portrays the everyday life of a witch as normal, as a matter of fact, the normal ppl are the ones who aren't normal in Harry Potter - muggins or so.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by Todd(m): 9:27pm On Feb 15, 2006
looking at it from an agnostics point, didnt god create everything? didnt god create the magical creatures. if not tell me where they came from,
also if god is so powerfull why does he allow these massive sinners to live. i mean because of homosexuality, he had Sodom leveled, and they wernt wizards and witches. god created the mind, and thus he created the intellegence for theses kids to preform magic. Also, dose this mean necromancy is OK? If Rowling had Harry ressurect Dumbledore in the 7th book, that would be ok? When madame pomfry aperntly healed Nevial longbottoms broken wrist in the 1st book, she was doing what jesus did when he cured the crippled. God created the earth, univrse you name it. that Includes the power of magic or the ability of magic which requires the power intellegence,
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by GL(f): 2:04am On Feb 17, 2006
It seems we're agreed on the fact that Harry Potter encourages witchcraft - the main question here.

As to whether it is right or wrong to read witchcraft/magical stuff, I guess it all boils down to our personal religious beliefs. I, being a christian, look at it from the biblical perspective and the bible is against witchcraft. As the bible holds a different definition of witchcraft from you, it doesn't contradict itself.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by Vieira(m): 1:23pm On Feb 22, 2006
GL:

It seems we're agreed on the fact that Harry Potter encourages witchcraft - the main question here.

No we are not agreed on that. Personally i find it totally ignorant when people say that to me.
Potter books are mainly about Good vs Evil and they try and preach that good wins. That to me is a good message.

We ALL have grown up with stories about witches and wizards, from Snow White to the Wizard of Oz. Because at times we play act at being a wizard does not mean anything, as someone said earlier I used to wish I was Superman and I wished I was the man from Atlantis. It's called being a kid!

A kid needs his imagination fired and we should not deprive them of outlets for such, when he grows up and gets a job the world will be depressing enough, do not rob him of his childhood yet.

Funny thing is a lot of these people against Harry Potter probably sit and watch all those Naija movies with these kids, and those movies are full of black magic crap.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by nikinash(f): 1:43pm On Feb 22, 2006
@ nikinash have you ever wished you had special powers, like to be able to fly, or teleport, or become invisible, or to have physic powers? every kid had has that desire, but is that evil or bad. having special powers could be esentually classifyed as "witchcraft." kids run around pretending they are flying, or are invisible, ect, and is that evil? are they using powers from god?

no todd as a matter of fact i haven't and just to reteirate what i said earlier, harry porter does encourage witchcraft but you wouldn't know if you don't know what withcraft is all about and what the vible says about it would you?
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by Todd(m): 11:19pm On Feb 28, 2006
@Vieira Clap clap clap clap thats right, Imagination is not a sin. nor is the right to use it.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by simmy(m): 3:27pm On Mar 15, 2006
Wish i saw this post earlier!
I wonder if anyone here has come across these so-called harmless fairy tales e.g cinderella in their original form? These stories are not as harmless as they seem. they're all steeped in magic. same as harry potter;even more scary.After reading the original cinderella i couldnt sleep 4 days!
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by SIBLI06(m): 9:38am On Mar 17, 2006
Encourage witchcraft!! So people still believe in all that twoddle shocked. It's fiction!!!!!!! If it exists prove it and make a fortune!! Parents have used stories of wizards and witches for decades to try control their children. Complete and utter cr*p! Be realistic people, our minds should have moved on from this years ago.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by avalon: 10:23am On Apr 08, 2006
HARRY PORTER, i think the story lines of harry porter novels and flims all border along witchcraft and sorcery.i wuld rather have my kids watch sumthing else and read sumthin lke my book of bible stories
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by tassmal(m): 5:40pm On Apr 08, 2006
it has been confirm real spell and curses are used in this book. this spell and incantations attract demons for real. children who read this books are in real dangers.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by Vieira(m): 11:34pm On Apr 08, 2006
tassmal:

it has been confirm real spell and curses are used in this book. this spell and incantations attract demons for real. children who read this books are in real dangers.

oh please.

your post and it's structure show what level u are at.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by HUSH2(m): 6:47am On Apr 11, 2006
You gotta be kidding me, harry potter books are fascinating besides those are the only books a child will really sit down and read
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by Todd(m): 8:53pm On Apr 12, 2006
I noticed someone said that Jesus was using power from god, if their is no other "god" figure, and if this Magic is sinnfull, and God is all knowing, he must of known that man would view Magic as sinnfull, so he wouldnt create it. if you you use any power NOT from god, then you are using a no-existing power, and if you do something that dosent exist, then it is not possible, and something not possible is not demmed sinnfull, so you are not sinning! (BONJOUR, I havent been on here for about 4 months)
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by sweetchic(f): 6:10pm On May 08, 2006
I believe books are meant to be enjoyed, it just gives one room to imagine interestin things .Thinking that it encourages witch-craft takes the fun out of the book , just be open mined and enjoy a master piece.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by mamaput(f): 8:45pm On May 13, 2006
I find it funny that someone wrote that Cinderella and other fairytale are better than harry potter.

The Grimm stories were not written for children.
What is good about wicked step mother and ugly sisters.
What is good about a wolf eating the grandmother.
When i read some of these stories today , i find them very aggressive.
Even the one with the 3 little pigs.
These stories are full of cutting off of heads and legs(Little red shoes)
Harry Potter is just a Morten Form of Enid Blyton for me.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by DaHitler(m): 7:23pm On May 15, 2006
The bigger question is do you believe in witch craft?

And if you do, you are the biggest threat to the existance of the State.

People that are able to believe with out proof are human in name only.

Clearly, infection of madness has spread to the level at which it is too late for sav. . . .

Rest in your own ignorance, precious cry
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by seeker(m): 12:01pm On May 16, 2006
Na wa O! We still dey for here? Incredible!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Legend Of Moremi / How To Get Lucrative Writing Jobs On Twitter — the Ultimate Guide / Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.