Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,309 members, 7,900,673 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 03:14 PM

60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System (22114 Views)

27 Rivers Lawmakers Lack Powers To Serve Fubara Impeachment Notice – G-60 Reps / Elder Statesman, Aminu Dantata Backs Transition To Parliamentary System / House Of Representatives Wants Nigeria Returned To Parliamentary System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by yemmit90: 9:38am On Feb 15
Faiththatworks:
There are some news I read these days that always leave me very very very puzzled.
I'm sorry for the detour from the topic,but I read a news yesterday and my mind couldn't understand it,some Northern House of Representatives members opposed a bill seeking to amend the constitution to allow only Only B.sc and HND holders contest for election to the post of the President and Governors.
Shame on all any Nigerian that still believes a school certificate holder,or a diploma is enough qualification to rule Nigeria.
I repeat again shame,shame,shame,shame on these people.
A diploma will only get you a bank teller job in a bank,an entry of level 6 into the civil service,but these people feel that kind of certificate is enough to rule Nigeria.
Anyone that's intellectually lazy to accquire a HND or B.Sc should never ever be allowed to be a governor,President or even a legislator.
Do these people understand how intelligent a president must be, someone who has to read and form opinions from reports he/she will receive from the NSA,from the CBN,From the NNPCL,from more than 30 Ministers,I mean the President must have an opinion on everything going on in the country and in 2024,a Northern Representative feels a Waec certificate or diploma is enough,shame on these people.
We must tell these Northern Representative that don't have any shame to have this kind of opinion.
Infact Nigerian youths should form a hashtag and shame these Northerns who have this infantile opinion.
Back to the Topic,I believe this is the best time for President Tinubu to have the balls to scatter and restructure Nigeria,he must quickly use these hard times to quickly restructure Nigeria.
Nigeria needs bold and quick reforms,I totally support this idea of a parliamentary system of government,I also read of the Minister of Power talking about State and Local Government having the license to generate and distribute power,that's another wonderful suggestions.
Infact the best time to introduce STATE and LOCAL POLICE is now, Asiwaju should use the excuse of No money In Nigeria to quickly restructure the country.
Nigerians are too hungry to protest especially those in the North.
God bless Nigeria

Calm down man, it is not only by education but your character, principle and logic.

Quite alot of highly educated people and professors has ruled in various capacity with absolute nothing to show for it. What am I even saying, will you called a degree obtain in Nigeria as education or mare read and pass?

Go to our tatiary institutions and see how your so called educated fellow embezzled government fund, spending recklessly on frivolities. The earlier you understand that an average Nigerian mind is always being ruled by character, greed and egoism, the better for you.
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Charly68: 9:39am On Feb 15
We need seventy more to support the group. Kudos to the reps
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by AlexBells(m): 9:55am On Feb 15
Svoboda:

Ministers are also members of the patliament. Its basically the same thing. I reiterated that prime ministerial position is only gotten thru the parliament and not thru the people. People vote for mps.

That said, whoever becomes head of the majority party after every congress automatically becomes head of govt, as seen in the uk and south africa. Its a very interesring system that abhors big man president that is a master of all he surveys.
Well that system can’t work in Nigeria and like I said, good luck to the rep members pushing for such. It is same as saying the senate president is the president. We have seen how they elect the senate president. I’m a politician and it would be selfish of me to prime parliamentary system over presidential system in a regional country like Nigeria. I’m not going to be that kind of politician that promote more power being taken away from the people. The head of government is the prime position in the land and the people needs to be directly involved in deciding who leads them
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by themanderon: 11:54am On Feb 15
coolPresidential oh parliamentary ohh so long as Nigerians and their criminal-minded political leaders do not change from their crooked ways even if you bring the system practiced in heaven it will surely fail in Nigeria.
It's not about the system practiced it's about the sincerity of those who will practice the system and Nigeria is certainly bereft of sincere men to cause a positive change at the moment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Osoboshi: 1:23pm On Feb 15
Faiththatworks:
I usually refrain from replying people on Nairaland cos I feel it distracts from the topic,but today I will reply you.
https://www.nairaland.com/7999665/reps-drop-bill-making-varsity#128437869
That's the link on Nairaland,you will see the name of these shameless Northern Legislators who have the nerve to say a WAEC holder or even a Diploma should think of aspiring to be a president, Governor or Legislator.
A certificate that will not allow any one to become a Headmaster or Head mistress in any Private Nursery and Primary school in Nigeria but is good enough to rule Nigeria.
Shame on these Northern Legislators and their backward idea of allowing semi illetrates to govern this great country called Nigeria.
I repeat shame shame shame on these Northern Legislators,I will continue to call them out until that bill is passed and a minimum requirement of HND or B.SC is allowed to come near elective position in Nigeria.
They can allow WAEC certificate holders and Diploma certificate holders to govern their local government councils and states but not Nigeria.
I pray they approve the Parliamentary system of government where Ministers,And the Prime Minister will be chosen from Parliament.
Let them send Waec holders and Diploma certificate holders to the Parliament,while the rest of the Country send in their best.
U will see the full article in the link and the names of all the Northern Legislators who opposed the bill.
Shame on you for the hasty generalization of labelling some people as certificate buyers,at least they bought certificate,and hopefully when it's presented INEC and the courts will disqualify them.
That's why we have laws in Nigeria,but to even try to make a statement supporting these Northern Legislators,shame on you too. I repeat shame on YOU
God bless Nigeria

I only see saw two names their,and for a sensational headline it had to be northern names,list all for me oga,north us too wide for a hasty generalization.
U see something about u guys u people see evil and would rather protect it,why should I bother myself with bsc when my counterparts can easily buy theirs.
Empty headed morons claiming educated
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by blueAgent(m): 2:32pm On Feb 15
BenuePolitician:
Nigeria needs a Democratic Dictatorship form of government where by everyone is beneath the president and answerable to the president who makes all decisions unilaterally and Public office holders found guilty of corruption publicly executed or publicly punished so as to serve as deterant against corrupt practices. This way, the country can grow fast and rapidly smiley

Rubbish.

You think it would favour U?
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Zhunnurayn(m): 2:49pm On Feb 15
Faiththatworks:
There are some news I read these days that always leave me very very very puzzled.
I'm sorry for the detour from the topic,but I read a news yesterday and my mind couldn't understand it,some Northern House of Representatives members opposed a bill seeking to amend the constitution to allow only Only B.sc and HND holders contest for election to the post of the President and Governors.
Shame on all any Nigerian that still believes a school certificate holder,or a diploma is enough qualification to rule Nigeria.
I repeat again shame,shame,shame,shame on these people.
A diploma will only get you a bank teller job in a bank,an entry of level 6 into the civil service,but these people feel that kind of certificate is enough to rule Nigeria.
Anyone that's intellectually lazy to accquire a HND or B.Sc should never ever be allowed to be a governor,President or even a legislator.
Do these people understand how intelligent a president must be, someone who has to read and form opinions from reports he/she will receive from the NSA,from the CBN,From the NNPCL,from more than 30 Ministers,I mean the President must have an opinion on everything going on in the country and in 2024,a Northern Representative feels a Waec certificate or diploma is enough,shame on these people.
We must tell these Northern Representative that don't have any shame to have this kind of opinion.
Infact Nigerian youths should form a hashtag and shame these Northerns who have this infantile opinion.
Back to the Topic,I believe this is the best time for President Tinubu to have the balls to scatter and restructure Nigeria,he must quickly use these hard times to quickly restructure Nigeria.
Nigeria needs bold and quick reforms,I totally support this idea of a parliamentary system of government,I also read of the Minister of Power talking about State and Local Government having the license to generate and distribute power,that's another wonderful suggestions.
Infact the best time to introduce STATE and LOCAL POLICE is now, Asiwaju should use the excuse of No money In Nigeria to quickly restructure the country.
Nigerians are too hungry to protest especially those in the North.
God bless Nigeria

How many of the developed countries have highly educated presidents. You don't need degree to rule or be intelligent. Go to Canada most companies are only seeking skills and intelligence not degrees. Same thing with all developed countries. Most of what is taught in academics is jargons that you don't need in real life, this is the opinion of great intellectuals like Robert kiosaki, Brian Tracy etc. How much more in aspect of leadership. Someone with degree in physics, geology, linguistics, library science etc what is that they are taught in this schools that will be needed to apply in leadership. Infact advanced education limits potentials as it programs you to locked in thinking on some academic non practical jargons.

Your opinion reeks of the mindset of the industrial age, wake up, we are in a New age!!
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Faiththatworks(m): 4:26pm On Feb 15
I repeat again,shame shame and more shame on people like you that have this myopic idea and spew nonsense about the Educational requirements of anyone that wants to lead a state or become a president in Nigeria.
Some of you are more dangerous than an illiterate,infact I query the kind of education you have.
Go back and read what you wrote,I assume we can decide to remove educational requirements since what's needed to lead the country is just skills.
Skills you develop while baking a cake,or working as a bricklayer, Infact I propose that a skillful bus driver should apply to become the president of Nigeria since we need only skills to rule Nigeria very well.
Shame on you, and the epistle you wrote trying to justify a Waec holder or diploma certificate holder ruling Nigeria.
There's a reason why minimum Educational qualification of Waec is a constitutional requirement to rule Nigeria,the people who put it there are not fools,all we are asking for is that it must be increased because of the amount of intellect it requires today to govern a country or even a state in Nigeria.
I ask you today,even companies like banks, Engineering companies require a minimum of a first degree to be employed,I wonder why any Nigerian will believe a country as big as Nigeria will require less educational requirement for an individual to be employed in a common bank than it takes to be employed as the President of Nigeria.
God bless Nigeria.....

Zhunnurayn:

How many of the developed countries have highly educated presidents. You don't need degree to rule or be intelligent. Go to Canada most companies are only seeking skills and intelligence not degrees. Same thing with all developed countries. Most of what is taught in academics is jargons that you don't need in real life, this is the opinion of great intellectuals like Robert kiosaki, Brian Tracy etc. How much more in aspect of leadership. Someone with degree in physics, geology, linguistics, library science etc what is that they are taught in this schools that will be needed to apply in leadership. Infact advanced education limits potentials as it programs you to locked in thinking on some academic non practical jargons.

Your opinion reeks of the mindset of the industrial age, wake up, we are in a New age!!
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Zhunnurayn(m): 5:59pm On Feb 15
Faiththatworks:
I repeat again,shame shame and more shame on people like you that have this myopic idea and spew nonsense about the Educational requirements of anyone that wants to lead a state or become a president in Nigeria.
Some of you are more dangerous than an illiterate,infact I query the kind of education you have.
Go back and read what you wrote,I assume we can decide to remove educational requirements since what's needed to lead the country is just skills.
Skills you develop while baking a cake,or working as a bricklayer, Infact I propose that a skillful bus driver should apply to become the president of Nigeria since we need only skills to rule Nigeria very well.
Shame on you, and the epistle you wrote trying to justify a Waec holder or diploma certificate holder ruling Nigeria.
There's a reason why minimum Educational qualification of Waec is a constitutional requirement to rule Nigeria,the people who put it there are not fools,all we are asking for is that it must be increased because of the amount of intellect it requires today to govern a country or even a state in Nigeria.
I ask you today,even companies like banks, Engineering companies require a minimum of a first degree to be employed,I wonder why any Nigerian will believe a country as big as Nigeria will require less educational requirement for an individual to be employed in a common bank than it takes to be employed as the President of Nigeria.
God bless Nigeria.....

God bless Nigeria, mind you I'm also going through my undergraduate degree in MBBS. So I have no reason to undermine education to suit my shortcomings in any way.

Constructively counter the points I outlined, not unnecessary back and forth marred by insults, this in a way proves why you need skill, emotional intelligence skill, more than that degree you are holding.
Buhari was no good I agree, but it has nothing to do educational qualifications. Now we have a Chicago graduate, how far?
Your opinion is retrogressive, go to developed countries or research people with high school certificate dominate their cooperate management, their government agencies and even professional Fields. We are not in industrial age to be programmed with needles academic jargons says Robert kiosaki a great american intellectual.

[/quote]
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by oneman2k7: 6:45pm On Feb 15
What do we achieve with all these trial by error policy than suffering?
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Faiththatworks(m): 6:56pm On Feb 15
I will allow you some breathing space since you insinuate you are going through your MBBS which I assume will make you a qualified Medical Doctor very soon.
I will constructively dismantle your argument on the need for less Education and more skill to rule Nigeria and why we must as a necessity increase the Educational qualification of any human being that desires to rule a state or My great country, Nigeria.
A higher education qualification is an attestation of the level of self development an human being has gone through in his/her life.
Whoever must lead Nigeria must show the citizens how much they have added to their life,it requires a lot of exposure,intellect and wisdom to lead a Nation like Nigeria.
A graduate is assumed to have been exposed socially,mentally and even financially while in graduate school.
The second is the knowledge required to lead Nigeria,yes we need a leader with skills and exposure,but book knowledge is very important.
Even if you are a graduate of Engineering, Sociology or even Biochemistry,you can't downplay the knowledge a graduate accquires while in school.
Whatever they do with that knowledge isn't what we are discussing.
That knowledge will always come in handy in the process of leading people.
I repeat you cant compare the book knowledge of a Waec holder with that of a graduate no matter how intelligent that Waec holder is.
Skills accquired should compliment the book knowledge a leader possess,that's my argument.
The minimum basic book knowledge a leader must posses in Nigeria must be a B.sc or HND,I hope you understand my argument.
God bless Nigeria.

quote author=Zhunnurayn post=128472191]

God bless Nigeria, mind you I'm also going through my undergraduate degree in MBBS. So I have no reason to undermine education to suit my shortcomings in any way.

Constructively counter the points I outlined, not unnecessary back and forth marred by insults, this in a way proves why you need skill, emotional intelligence skill, more than that degree you are holding.
Buhari was no good I agree, but it has nothing to do educational qualifications. Now we have a Chicago graduate, how far?
Your opinion is retrogressive, go to developed countries or research people with high school certificate dominate their cooperate management, their government agencies and even professional Fields. We are not in industrial age to be programmed with needles academic jargons says Robert kiosaki a great american intellectual.

[/quote]

1 Like

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Elxandre(m): 8:01pm On Feb 15
Faiththatworks:
So it's not about degree but will they allow a Waec holder to head NNPCL, CBN, NIMASA, NPA,or even become a permanent secretary in the civil service.
Enough of the sentimentalism, Nigeria will be remaim stagnant, I repeat emotions, platitudes, sentiments doesn't make anyone a good leader.
If you are so lazy intellectually and can't push yourself to have an HND or B.Sc in all your adult life,such an individual should never rule a state or My country.
I totally support the Parliamentary system of government,let the Senate be closed down.
That institution is the biggest legitimate fraud in Nigeria, that's the place where there's quadruplication not duplication of Duties.
Why should we have Senate and House Committee on Institution like the Armed Forces,and some other Institutions.

Even America doesn't have any educational requirement at all.
Debates are supposed to expose how intelligent a candidate is, but we support them avoiding debates in Nigeria and end up with useless leaders.
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by meedoLock(m): 8:12pm On Feb 15
delpee:
What is important is to cancel one of either Senate or HOR. We're spending too much on a few people in two different Chambers who are doing about the same thing.

Up till today, I do not understand the essence of both political appointments. Senate makes laws, that I understand, but spending money on house of assembly for literally doing nothing. I can't comprehend that. Plus it'd to expensive. If Nigeria were a man, I would attribute him to a man living a live he can not afford. Should we not call that a fake life? We are getting there now, let them bring any form of reform forward. It's going to be better than doing nothing.
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Babinski: 1:17am On Feb 16
Thissystem:

https://dailypostngr.com/2024/02/breaking-apc-lawmaker-59-others-seek-change-from-presidential-to-parliamentary-system/

The reasons adduced are insufficient to warrant the change at this point in time. With all the lack of party discipline, ineffective institutions and widespread corruption even at the legislature, it will be disastrous to seek Parliamentary System at this point.

We already can see how the legislature is more about selfish interests than representing the people and how they are getting fat at the expense of the electorate and even making laws to feather their own nests. The Senate is the retirement home of Governors and the House of Representatives is not much different in serving the need of the people. So handing over Executive power to the same Legislature as required in a Parliamentary System will be total disaster.
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Tilewizy: 5:05am On Feb 16
abdeefggh:

Lol, is regionalism not the same as parliamentary system?
Some of you people sef

I may not have a complete idea of whether both are the same or not. All I know is I have an understanding of what we are saying.
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Gajagojo: 5:10am On Feb 16
Very good idea. It should be implemented when. The presidency returns to the North
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Ilekokonit: 11:05pm On Feb 18
Changing from Presidential to Parliamentary system is not the priority for Nigeria at the moment and it is unsafe given the level of demonic corruption in the hearts of our politicians and supreme court judges.

We are battling monumental corruption of our polithiefians and judges and changing the system of election will only give these criminals more leeway to hide under the confusion all changes brings to perpetuate themselves in power.

Although this bill is sponsored by a PDP Senator (Ned Nwoko) who practiced law in the UK, I hope it is not hijacked by MC Oluomo's boss to give himself tenure elongation.

For starters, the Parliamentary system in the UK does NOT have term limits and a British Prime Minister once served more than 20 years and a few others served 3 terms and even 4 terms.

We have to be careful what we wish for before MC Oluomo's boss in connivance with the corrupt Supreme court cash and carry judges gift the greedy drug baron a tenure into perpetuity for himself and his cronies.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

There Was No Zoning In Kogi APC, why should there be in Edo? - Oshiomhole / Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government / I Can’t Be Chairman Where Buhari Is Present – IBB

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.