Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,830 members, 7,915,361 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 09:54 PM

Boko Haram: Friends, Bloggers Mourn Slain Corps Member - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram: Friends, Bloggers Mourn Slain Corps Member (1142 Views)

Shiite Muslims In Kano Mourn Victims Of Zaria Massacre / I’ve Come Out Of Hiding To Mourn Awolowo – Jonathan / Mother Of Slain Chiadika Writes A Petition To Senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram: Friends, Bloggers Mourn Slain Corps Member by Ovularia: 3:23pm On Nov 10, 2011
Boko Haram: Friends, bloggers mourn slain corps member Featured
Written by Eniola Akinkuotu

Remmy
Less than a week after the families of slain National Youth Service Corps members were compensated by the Federal Government for the death of their loved ones during the April elections, reports have it that more corps members may have been either killed or injured in the recent massacre in Damaturu, the Yobe State capital.

PUNCH METROlearnt that a corps member, Eucharia Remmy, was among those killed in one of the attacks, which reportedly claimed 150 lives.

It was learnt that Remmy, who graduated from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, in 2010, was also an actress as she starred in a recent movie titled, ‘Blackberry Babes,’ alongside Oge Okoye and Annie Macaulay in March.

According to reports, the Enugu State born lady was a member of Christ Embassy Church in Damaturu, and was distributing Rhapsodies of Reality, a devotional guide, on New Jerusalem Road when Boko Haram struck. She was reportedly shot in the head during the attack.

It was gathered that the deceased did not die immediately but was rushed to a hospital where she fell into a coma before she died at the Maiduguri University Teaching Hospital.

The Yobe State NYSC coordinator, Mrs. Victoria Ango, confirmed the incident to our correspondent on the telephone on Wednesday.

“It is true that she was killed. In fact, I am at the MUTH with her relatives to identify her corpse. She was killed near a police station,” she said.

Meanwhile, colleagues of the deceased have continued to express fears that Boko Haram could strike again. A corps member, who identified himself simply as Chuks, said the manner with which the bombing took place showed that non-indigenes, Christians and security agencies were the major target of the terrorists.

He said, “I was at the police station off New Jerusalem Road when I heard the explosions. I ran immediately into the boot of a car and hid there. It was when I came out, after the shootings that I learnt that Remmy was hit.

“She was just outside, near the corpers’ lodge, distributing tracts, evangelising. New Jerusalem Road is occupied mainly by corps members, churches and non-indigenes. The National Corpers’ Christian Fellowship lodge is also on that road. So, I think that is why the place was targeted by the Boko Haram.”

Another corps member, who spoke to our correspondent on the condition of anonymity, fearing for his life, said most of the corps members were still in shock and urged the government not to mobilise more corps members to the state.

“Despite the bombings, more corps members are due to be posted here from other states for the new Batch C next Tuesday. I think the Federal Government has to give it a rethink. Yes, I know there is now a 7am to 7pm curfew and more security officers have been deployed but I think no one should be posted here for now,” he said.

A friend of the deceased and classmate at UNN, who wished to be identified simply as Sarah, described Remmy as a very brilliant and promising person.

She said, “Remmy and I were classmates. She was very brilliant as she graduated with a Grade Point Average of 4.4 in Psychology, which was a second class upper. She had a bright future ahead of her and would have become something great if not for the tragic incident.

“I remember when she even got posted to Yobe State in July. I even congratulated her because most of us have not even gone for service. I did not know that was the last time I would see her.”

The death of the corps member has also sparked rage on the internet as well-wishers have created blogs and have begun posting condolence messages on Facebook and other social networks.

A friend of the victim, Philip, who commented on one of the blog, described her as a highly spirited young lady who was always willing to help others.

He said, “I confidently told her that killings in the North weren’t always the case when she was reluctant to go to Yobe. I assured her that Yobe was a nice place and that she would finish her service well.

“ Unfortunately, Boko Haram and the weakness of Federal Government proved me wrong. She was shot in the head on her way around New Jerusalem Road with her Rhapsodies. We lost this precious gift to the cold hands of death. Not sickness, she was shot. Period!”

A blogger, Angela Davis, wrote, “I think at this point, I want to say that since the government has refused to scrap the NYSC, they should stop sending corps members to the Northern states. Please, they should help save our youths. They are the leaders of tomorrow.”

http://punchng.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=4097:boko-haram-friends-bloggers-mourn-slain-corps-member&Itemid=570

Re: Boko Haram: Friends, Bloggers Mourn Slain Corps Member by Nobody: 6:18pm On Nov 10, 2011
d blood of dis innocent lady will hunt d north forever!

(1) (Reply)

Gdp Revaluation’ll Make Economy Competitive – Analysts / Why Projects In South-east Are Abandoned –ngige / When Monarchs Desecrate The Throne

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.