Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,580 members, 7,898,263 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 July 2024 at 10:33 AM

Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice (10880 Views)

Urgent!!! Please which of the Federal Government Jobs Should I Take? / Some Important Tips Needed To Survive A PhD / Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice by gmcln(m): 4:28pm On Nov 13, 2011
PLEASE go for the PHD.  Hit when the Iron is hot[b][/b]
Re: Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice by AjanleKoko: 4:51pm On Nov 13, 2011
Op go don dey fear una now shocked shocked shocked
Re: Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice by Nicklee(m): 5:04pm On Nov 13, 2011
I can certainly relate with this. My experience was this:

I finished with a first class in Chemical Engineering and went on straight to do an MS in Pet. Engineering in the US. Months before graduation, I had a numbers of good offers from Chevron, BP and Conoco, to work in the US. Then I also had an offer to continue on with a PhD in the same university (I didn't bother applying to other schools). I had to make a decision and I decided to continue with the PhD. I graduated in June and I have since started work with Exxon. I got the Exxon job more than 1 year before I graduated.

In my opinion, staying back to do the PhD was a very good decision. Although my reasons might not apply to you, you might want to consider them in making your decisions:

1. I was already in a good school (2nd only to MIT in Engineering) and I had a lot more to learn from those great professors. I didn't want to pass on that opportunity. You will have to think about this - Is it worth it for you (I wish you applied to schools in the US too)

2. Beyond my MS, the PhD was going to take 3-4 years and I did it in 3 years. The choice for me was the marginal advantage of 3years of work experience over 3years of PhD academic experience. I came to the conclusion that the PhD was a better option for me. Although I stood to lose 3 years of good pay, I figured in the long run, everything will tapper down. In the industry, there isn't much difference between a '5-years' experience and an '8-years' experience. But when one comes with a PhD and the other doesn't, that may make a lot of difference in some environments.

3. It is easier to teach (I don't like teaching so I'm not even considering it) with a PhD and of course consult too. Two months into my job, I was almost bored to death and I realized that I wasn't not used to routine life. Although I am getting used to it now, I know I have the flexibility to go into academia anytime or do consulting. Infact consulting is more lucrative than any paid position out there in any IOC - I have many PhD friends who made the switch recently and are having the most exciting phases of their career.

4. I did a number of internships during the summers. So I got a chance to get more work experience (cumulatively, my 4 summer internships amounted to 12 months experience). That was very helpful too. If you get to do internships during the PhD, it would add a lot of value (and money)

5. Some companies regard the PhD research as work experience. My company does, atleast for purposes of benefits.

6. Pay is higher, significantly higher with a PhD. That is my experience

7. The 3-4 years happen faster than you think. I was out before I knew that I was in. And since you are smart, that should be a piece of cake for you.

8. I get people's fears about the job outlook. I don't know how bad things are in Europe but the outlook in the US is still very bright in the energy industry. Just like I experienced, my juniors have started receiving multiple job offers too. So, yes the job outlook is still bright.

To wrap this up, I tend not to let short term factors affect the decisions I make about long term interests. If you want to do a PhD, then do it. Trying to model the economic outlook for the next 4 years might be a difficult task (considering the realities and uncertainties). But one thing is for sure: At the end of your program, there will still be an energy industry ever recruiting and the top brains will always have a place (or multiple placements). Since careers are multi-decade endeavors, it's always best not to allow decisions around the first few years affect the choices/paths for the next 30 years. Decisions made in these early years will even out, one way or the other - they always do. Just go for what you think will make you happier, feel more accomplished, give you better flexibility and probably put more money in your savings in the long haul.

I hope this helps,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice by beewhyfocs(m): 6:05pm On Nov 13, 2011
tanimola22:

Sir,

Could you please explain how he can ' Do the PhD and work as a consultant alongside´? Is it your assumption that a PhD is so much of a big deal in Europe that companies will come begging you to consult for them? With much respect to the OP's exemplary achievements, a PhD might be a big deal to Nigerians in Nigeria because [i]som[/i]e departments in some Nigerian universities have only 3 PhD holders; however, it is not the case in Europe and maybe North America. Again, with the OP`s stellar grades, he can get a fully funded PhD position anytime he wants. All he needs to do is go online and apply. The offers will start coming. It is as simple as that.

All these respectable people telling the OP to work as a consultant while doing the PhD, I would like to let you know that there are hundreds of professors also looking for the same consulting job. Are you all telling us that a PhD student will surely get a consulting job before his professors? I am sure the OP fully understands very well what I am saying. This is the point where the reputation of a student`s PhD supervisor is very important. A student is more likely to get a consulting job if the student's supervisor himself/herself is a consultant. The student will simply leverage on the supervisor's reputation and goodwill.

I am just eagerly waiting for a forum member whose ID is`Yoruba-Igbo`to comment. He is an oil worker in Europe and he is also doing his PhD too. He is in the best position to counsel the OP on what to do, IMHO. I believe his counsel will be priceless to the OP.

So, Mr. Yoruba-Igbo, we dey wait for you O.

I enjoyed reading your post man. Are u a FUTARIAN?
In my own, I feel the OP should follow his heart on this matter. Public forum like NL will not suffice for such a crucial decision making.
Re: Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice by naijadot: 6:40pm On Nov 13, 2011
A professor once told for you be a stand out in the academic world you must have the passion. If you have always had the passion to undertake research for the benefit of mankind, then you should continue doing your research. But if your passion is developing a career, then go for the career. Its not up to us, its up to you to find out which one is really your passion and go for it.
Re: Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice by livapul86(m): 6:55pm On Nov 13, 2011
:-( cool
Re: Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice by oc2fish: 8:12pm On Nov 13, 2011
Bro, If you want to go into academics you can go for the PhD but if not take your job and go for the money. With your Job you can afford to pay for PhD later. Apart from the academics PhD is not regarded becos it boils down on you carrying out a single research in a small area industries value what you can do but not what class of degree you carry.

However people like you are needed in the academics after working for some years in the industry. We in Nigeria are producing half baked graduate because most of our academician do not have industrial experience b4 venturing into the class room, please take the Job go for your PhD by partime and come back to Nigerian University.
Re: Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice by AjanleKoko: 9:29pm On Nov 13, 2011
Almost like a sing-song.

Everybody seems to be bawling:

Go For The Money
Go For The Money
Go For The Money
Go For The Money

undecided embarassed
Re: Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice by kosoro: 10:23pm On Nov 13, 2011
It depends on what you want. If i were you, i'd go for the job and start building a professional career. You never know, your job might even send you for a PhD if they needed it. I had a similar situation and i chose job. again, it all depends on what you think will give you fulfillment.
Re: Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice by gabbytabby: 11:56pm On Nov 13, 2011
Unless you want a career in academics or R&D then its always better to try to get some work experience before you then embark on another academic pursuit as you might be over qualified on paper for most of the jobs you apply for as you have limited work experience. Even a year's break might do you good and there is the option to do your phd part-time.
Re: Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice by tanimola22: 12:08am On Nov 14, 2011
yamakuza:

tanimola22, what do you say to post 34 by nicklee?

There is no contradiction with my stance. In fact, he even corroborated my initial point regarding the quality of a student`s supervisor/professor. He is a Stanford PhD holder, I guess. And Stanford has very good relationships with top companies in this world. All these points are spot on with my initial statements. Go and read my posts again.

The conclusion is still that the OP should do what he feels will give him the highest payoff! That again was my point and it still remains just that.

@beewhyfocs

No, I am not. I graduated from Naija's most jaiye jaiye school.
Re: Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice by yamakuza: 12:50am On Nov 14, 2011
tanimola22:

The conclusion is still that the OP should do what he feels will give him the highest payoff! That again was my point and it still remains just that.

okey-dokey!
Re: Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice by AfroBlue(m): 3:19am On Nov 14, 2011
Re: Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice by coded777: 4:09am On Nov 14, 2011
OP,
you've heard it all, go take your PhD positions. berra still do as your instinct tells you,
Re: Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice by Stkilda(m): 5:16am On Nov 14, 2011
@OP
I don’t believe that it is true that PhDs are not valued in the western world. I can tell you as someone who holds a PhD in Chemical Engineering and lives in Melbourne that a PhD still confers on its holder a good level of respect both at work place and in the wider community. It can open a number of doors. It also means an increased number of career options and opportunities. There is an inner confidence coupled with a sense of self actualization that comes with a PhD. I can say, based on my personal experience, that life can only get better with a PhD. Good luck bro!!

1 Like

Re: Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice by Nobody: 6:40am On Nov 14, 2011
So Nairaland has brains like these? I'm so proud of u guys. Keep the posts coming people!
Re: Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice by 2good(m): 12:18pm On Nov 14, 2011
Nickle-Unilag(2005)-Stanford(2011), my honorable ex classmate hope U dey enjoy Exxon. Lets leave it so.
Bros Jo, I don tell u wetin U suppose do or wetin I go do if na me dey ur shoes. Anyway sha just enjoy and do wetin U think is best for you
Re: Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice by 2good(m): 12:18pm On Nov 14, 2011
Nickle-Unilag(2005)-Stanford(2011), my honorable ex classmate hope U dey enjoy Exxon. Lets leave it so.
Bros Jo, I don tell u wetin U suppose do or wetin I go do if na me dey ur shoes. Anyway sha just enjoy and do wetin U think is best for you
Re: Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice by junegirl(f): 12:29pm On Nov 14, 2011
@OP: Tanimola22 and Dayo1401 have given you the best advice you could ever ask for. Them and the guy in Dubai as well. It is only in Nigeria that Phd is a big deal, and unless you want to chart a career path in academics, even that might not be an advantage in Nigeria. Work experience weighs a lot more than certificates in the job world, so I can understand why the Dubai guy earns higher than his colleagues with Phds.

Fully funded Phd positions are really not that difficult to get. What may not be so easy, are probably getting into specific institutions that have the industry links you desire.  I think you have a golden opportunity with the job offers you have, which give you the opportunity to garner some work experience. The importance of work experience cannot be overemphasized. I know people (including myself) who have Masters with distinctions, merits in the UK who are still searching for jobs. Conversely, I know some one else who finished with a pass and now works with HSBC. Difference? Some element of luck perhaps, but also previous banking experience from Nigeria.

I was also considering a Phd in the US (majoring in marketing) but sound logic from Tanimola22 has made me stop in my tracks. I hope you are able to  make the decision that is best for you in all of these.  May God help us all.
Re: Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice by babaijesha: 6:47pm On Nov 14, 2011
My comments;

Take your time and pray about this especially when you are weighing two heavy decisions; either take a job or go for a PHD. There are pros and cons as stated by most writers here; but most of these comments are based on their experience and it may not conform with what God want for you!
God created you and know his purpose 4 U, Take your time, he will surely reveal to you your next line of action. Shallom

1 Like

Re: Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice by Nobody: 7:23pm On Nov 14, 2011
When I looked at the quality of all the suggestions made by 'Nairalanders', I cannot but think of how Nigeria as a country is blessed with intelligent youths. I want to thank all Naiaralanders for such an inspiring suggestions and for taking out time to contribute to this thread. I really appreciate you people effort. Prayers are good and very effective but prayers without proper planning can also be very misleading.There is safety in multitudes of counsel. I must confess that some of the contributions are eye openers, perhaps not to me only but to others who may eventually be in my shoes in the future. Again I would like to thank everyone for your contributions. I dropped one of the offer yesterday. Left with three. With these your great suggestions, my prayers for divine direction and God,s help, I hope to arrive at a safe harbour.

@ Nicklee, thanks for being so elaborate.
@ 2good, hope you are enjoying OMAN and Middle East.
Re: Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice by JesusDWay(m): 6:14pm On Nov 15, 2011
@Poster. You have had some good advices here and one good thing they do is give you better insight into the matter which helps you arrive at the best decision.

With the several inputs you have here, i feel you should be able to make an informed decision also based on what your larger vision for life is. Really, i don't believe you will be without a job after your Phd. If you have been having offer of jobs before now, i believe you will still have after your Phd if you decide to do it now. Besides, you focus more on your job and career development without having to think you still have some academic pursuit.

However, you may also need to find out the rate of school leavers(foreign students) who get absorbed into the oil industry there in Norway except if you don't plan on staying there (although it is a very rich country). I think that shlould help your decision making as well.

Finally, please understand that this country will need people like you. It will soon be our time to be at the helm of affairs and as such, people who have the endowment will be the rightful people to be put in place and so you may need to gather every knowledge you can now to be able to effect the changes that will be necessary then. Let your plans involve the greater good you can be to your mother land. God bless you.
Re: Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 5:40am On Nov 16, 2011
I tot by now you must have decided
Re: Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice by oluijaola(m): 4:35am On Nov 18, 2011
go for your phd sir
Re: Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice by DaDoctor: 10:43am On Nov 18, 2011
I WUD RATHER OPT TO REMAIN IN THE PHD CLASS THAT I AM IN AN CONSULT WITH THE O ANG G GIANTS AS A PROFFFESIONAL AND INTELECT THAN EARN PEANUTS IN THE OIL AND GAS
Re: Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice by Nobody: 7:03pm On Nov 18, 2011
I appreciate all the good advice I received from this forum. I have decided to work for two years to acquire additional work experience instead of PhD study at the moment. I have decline all the offers save the one in Australia for now. Though I have my eyes in another PhD program sponsored by Shell in Bergen Norway which I have not been shorlisted for. If I am lucky to get that one I can quit my job because that PhD is direclty linked to Shell. I did apply to many PhDs application that I have to disregards so many interviews. I want to thank everyone who has contributed so far. Life is about taking chances and risk. I pray God favour me in all my decisions.

I appreciates all. Thanks
Re: Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice by tanimola22: 9:41pm On Nov 18, 2011
jojohnson:

I appreciate all the good advice I received from this forum. I have decided to work for two years to acquire additional work experience instead of PhD study at the moment. I have decline all the offers save the one in Australia for now. Though I have my eyes in another PhD program sponsored by Shell in Bergen Norway which I have not been shorlisted for. If I am lucky to get that one I can quit my job because that PhD is direclty linked to Shell. I did apply to many PhDs application that I have to disregards so many interviews. I want to thank everyone who has contributed so far. Life is about taking chances and risk. I pray God favour me in all my decisions.

I appreciates all.  Thanks

OP,

You consistently prove my proposition. Moreover, it feels good to be the rejecter. Talk about morale booster. hahahh.

About taking risk, I can assure you that PhD scholarships for someone like you come with zilch risk. If you apply, you will get at least one PhD scholarship any day, anytime. That, I can almost surely assure you.

Good move so far, well done!

Yours truly,

Tanimola22

PS: My 100th post on this forum.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bank Job Or Current Job? / How Much Are You Making As A Copywriter? / Do You Love Your Current Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.