Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,096 members, 7,933,666 topics. Date: Wednesday, 28 August 2024 at 11:02 AM

Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? - Food (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? (22164 Views)

THREAD For Foodstuffs Retailers, RESTAURANT OWNERS, Food Bloggers Only / Inflation: What Is Happening Pls? / Happening In Owerri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Empresa: 7:48am On Mar 01
Everybody is putting his problem on the commodity or service he sells.
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by bal4real: 8:01am On Mar 01
kissval1388:
These are questions you ask when a wicked government is in power...

You are asking this question cause things are rough in the country... No business man or woman will intentionally add money to their goods if they didn't buy it costly...

I'm in to Provision wholesale business...this retailers buy from us and I know how much they retail the goods they buy... Omo the profit is not even much... In a roll of Miksi, they make just #150 ... Baba.. you guys won't understand cus u are not in the system... Blame your government...

That Noodles was previously #130 before this wicked government came in.. Even the noodles you are wailing about, the profit of the retailer is not even up to #900 in a full carton..
Remember she bought nylon to package it, her transport fare to the market and other things involved
You just nailed it. At times the way our people reason baffles me. they're now blaming the retail traders for the hike in prices of goods but exonerating the culprits that caused this hardship in the country.

How can a sane government remove subsidy without any concrete plans on ground, knowing fully well that subsidy is the only visible source the poor masses benefit from the government.

Ordinary palliative of bags of rice and cartons of indomies, these wicked and heartless government still hoard them, despite the millions they are looting.

Until we stop electing our leaders based on sentiment, tribe and religion, this country will never move forward.

2 Likes

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Shimbo96(m): 8:06am On Mar 01
Rahkman:
You know how much be carton of indomie ? Na 18000 u want make dem sell am 250 naira for you ode
now you are part of Nigeria problem, how many do you have in a carton and where did you buy your own carton for #18000. If you can't sell it 250 then 300 is not too much.
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by YoungBlackRico(m): 8:41am On Mar 01
Be like you never know Nigerians
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by ufotunang: 8:47am On Mar 01
What is causing the high costs of food stuffs and goods and services..is the high costs of fuel, disel and the dollars rising everyday and naira losing value......so the government should reduce the price of fuel, disel and revalue and strengthen the naira and make it have value against the dollars and you will see the prices of food stuffs goods and services will reduce and affordable for nigerians .. simple
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by ShedrachU(m): 8:50am On Mar 01
Most humans and greed are 5&6
This is more in the south east
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by ubev01(m): 9:10am On Mar 01
All i will just say is; all of you complaining should open a business (buying and selling) in this unstable era, follow it through with your various righteous ideas, come back after 6months and tell us how far. Then, i will take you serious
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by webhostbiz: 9:30am On Mar 01
You can blame the retailers, box of small indomitable sells for 3500 before from distributors and now the retails buys it for #15000 from the market to sell at home. How much do you want her to sell the product.

Multiple factors contributed to the high cost of food items in Nigeria
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Ezekiel2122(m): 10:16am On Mar 01
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Ezekiel2122(m): 10:35am On Mar 01
I went to buy spaghetti yesterday and the woman told me is 1000 per one.... I told this woman to give me three. She just told me she's coming, she wants to go and comfirm something..only for her to come back and say is now 1100 per one... wicked people everywhere
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by SpicyMimi(f): 11:53am On Mar 01
Bfly:
Retailer only understands when dollar is up not when it is down
This is the main issue!

Years ago, due to Covid transport fare was increased as drivers were advised to carry few passsengers so they increased the fare to cover for any loss. After Covid, you should expect that any reasonable person who has empathy should reduce the price since they now carry the normal passengers…for where Drivers doubled the fare and still carried more passengers shocked

Like the problem of Nigeria is a root problem. Fix the root and corruption will reduce massively.

1 Like

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Love800(m): 11:55am On Mar 01
Are u sure about dis?
So things are cheap in shoprite?
Emu4life:
Contrary to popular belief, things especially food are actually cheaper in SuperMarkets (Retail Stores) than traditional open Market traders.
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by EmmaFantastic2(m): 12:08pm On Mar 01
Yes they are!! And the suppliers are also doing same - in fact, they start the price increments and then the retailers complete it.
That's all!
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by charlsecy(m): 2:39pm On Mar 01
RepoMan007:
That's what happens when a trade is oversaturated. Instead of 100 mega stores selling groceries, 1000 road side stalls are, and everyone wants to make enough to cover their needs.
I thought too many sellers ought to lead to lower prices due to competition?
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by charlsecy(m): 2:43pm On Mar 01
Offpoint1:
The one I can't fathom till date is garri. No part of garri processing involves dollar, but the price keeps skyrocketing.
Adamux:
To buy even Bitterkola now, you will hear Dollar don rise
The price of a given good could also be affected by the general price level and prices of other goods. For example, a bitterkola seller has to buy other goods whose prices have increased. So he would increase the price of his product in order to meet up.

Offpoint1:
Once they heard price of dollar has increased, these folks will automatically increase the prices of items.
As an importer, if your price doesn't reflect the prevailing exchange rates, you would be losing in real terms.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by RepoMan007: 2:48pm On Mar 01
charlsecy:
I thought too many sellers ought to lead to lower prices due to competition?
after lower prices have come, hunger inspires unionism and they start regulating supply and prices.
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by frankyychiji(f): 2:59pm On Mar 01
ivolt:
To all those attacking retailers.
Some of you have the means to setup a retail store too.
Just do it and sell at 30-50% lower price.
Your customers will thank you.
Majority of them on first page are batshits. Yarimo go and open your own store.
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Emu4life(m): 4:09pm On Mar 01
Love800:
Are u sure about dis? So things are cheap in shoprite?
Try MarketSqaure Super Market
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Rickmann: 4:23pm On Mar 01
BouquiLake:
I once made a decision to be patronising those neibourhood shops to help them instead of patronising already well established supermarkets....I now realise that i was wrong. The way they hike prices with "O ti won ni". Thank God i have so many supermarkets around my place with new ones coming up.
When you have Foodco, Ace, Justrite and others, you know you have options...What is cheap in one will be dare in another.

Just take a day for "Window Shopping" to get your prices right. cool shocked shocked shocked

Those so-called neighborhood shops are the worst cos they wanna make 5times the supposed profit and it's crazy.
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Rickmann: 4:26pm On Mar 01
Majesty7:

I read here on this platform when a young lad spent #300k on foodstuffs that even if bought from supermarket won't be more than #100k and she was claiming she bought it #300k. They deliberately inflate figures by themselves. Someone came to my office and I was asking him the price for his iron rods. While discussing, he received a call and the person at the other end told him price of tod has increased. Immediately, he added it to my price. I just told him to leave my office.

Nigerians are wicked. Devilish souls! They take delight in inflicting suffering upon themselves and blame others for their woes

Exactly.
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Love800(m): 4:39pm On Mar 01
Alright
Emu4life:

Try MarketSqaure Super Market
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Rickmann: 9:17am On Mar 03
pacespot:

Stop eating Indomie, it is poisonous to your body.

Everybody will go to farm last last

I really have to.
Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

If A Wife Owns A Restaurant, Should The Husband Pay After Eating? / Residents Raise Concerns As Beans Price Soars In Lagos / How To Make Wara

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.