Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,852 members, 7,872,843 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 11:43 PM

A Pearl Of Great Value - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Pearl Of Great Value (1060 Views)

Homosexuality: A Go-ahead In The Usa,the Start Of Great Tribulation. / List Of Great Men That Fell In The Bible Because Of Women / A Pearl Of Wisdom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Pearl Of Great Value by PastorAIO: 12:45pm On Nov 13, 2011
A Pearl Of Great Value
October 30, 2011 //

I do not think that it is a great coincidence that the Church of England (St. Paul’s Cathedral) finds itself caught in the middle of the Occupy London Stock Exchange movement. This event has given the Church and christians a great opportunity to take a good look in the mirror. The issues addressed by the OLSX movement are issues at the very heart of Christianity itself.

The OLSX movement is demonstrating against the activities of Bankers that have brought ruin upon this nation and many nations of the world. And, in fact, this pursuit of money is something that christian writers have consistently warned us about.

9But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.
11But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness.

1Timothy Chapter 6

Craving for money is directly contrasted here with righteousness. And it says that it has caused some to wander away from the Faith. What exactly is the Faith, the belief, that is at the heart of Christianity?
Jesus preached and taught about the Kingdom of Heaven which he called a pearl of great value.

45“Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls, 46who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and bought it.
Matthew Chapter 13

This matter of Value is at the very heart of the problems that we have with the financial sector today. All human activity is in fact a pursuit for higher value. Whatever we do we do because we believe the end result is of higher value than initial state. Even the simple act of tidying up one’s bedroom is done because of the belief that a tidier bedroom has more value than an untidy one.

The Kingdom of Heaven, christianity’s number one commodity, is considered a pearl of such great value that it is worth selling everything else that we have in order to possess it. In other words the most fulfilling and value creating activity that a man can pursue is the Kingdom of Heaven. But what exactly is this Kingdom of Heaven?

Jesus tells a parable known as the Parable of the Sower,

1That same day Jesus went out of the house and sat beside the sea. 2And great crowds gathered about him, so that he got into a boat and sat down. And the whole crowd stood on the beach. 3And he told them many things in parables, saying: “A sower went out to sow. 4And as he sowed, some seeds fell along the path, and the birds came and devoured them. 5Other seeds fell on rocky ground, where they did not have much soil, and immediately they sprang up, since they had no depth of soil, 6but when the sun rose they were scorched. And since they had no root, they withered away. 7Other seeds fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked them. 8Other seeds fell on good soil and produced grain, some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty. 9He who has ears,a let him hear.”

Matthew Chapter 13
Jesus then goes on to explain the parable in the same chapter.

18“Hear then the parable of the sower: 19When anyone hears the logon of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart. This is what was sown along the path. 20As for what was sown on rocky ground, this is the one who hears the logon and immediately receives it with joy, 21yet he has no root in himself, but endures for a while, and when tribulation or persecution arises on account of the logon, immediately he falls away.b 22As for what was sown among thorns, this is the one who hears the logon, but the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the logon, and it proves unfruitful. 23As for what was sown on good soil, this is the one who hears the logon and understands it. He indeed bears fruit and yields, in one case a hundredfold, in another sixty, and in another thirty.”

The Logon, or Logos, is a greek word that is rich in meaning and hard to translate into just one word in english. It is often just translated as ‘Word’ yet it can also means an account, a story, an utterance, a format/plan/blueprint.
According to Jesus there is a logon, a plan, sown in our hearts that can be brought to fruition or for a variety of reasons we can fail to bring into fruition. This is the crux of Jesus’ message. Amongst those things that will choke the Logos and make it unfruitful are ‘the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches’.

What is the deceitfulness inherent in riches? Money is used to represent value, but there is always a danger, as with all representations, that in so doing it actually starts to distort value too. There comes a point when we are so focused on maximising monetary profits that we lose sight of our objective of creating real tangible value. Instead economic activity becomes a series of slight of hand techniques. This has become more and more evident lately.

Entire corporations are driven not by a desire to create real value but rather by the desire to maximise monetary profits, and this often leads to the result of a reduction in real value. The case that most readily springs to mind that epitomises this pursuit of phantom values is that of Enron where the corporation sought to increase profits not by providing a valuable service but rather by not doing so as in when it cut power supply to California intermittently.

This is a terrible effect of money, that a society will even attack itself and any real value within it if the process can yield the phantom value of monetary profits. We as individuals, and collectively as a society, need to articulate to ourselves in real tangible terms what our goals and ideals are. And when we have a clear idea what that seed planted in our hearts is we need to nurture it and protect it because that is our Pearl of Great Value, and it is definitely worth selling everything that we have in order to possess it.

http://soulpioneer./2011/10/30/a-pearl-of-great-value/
Re: A Pearl Of Great Value by DeepSight(m): 2:39pm On Nov 13, 2011
Ha. You are back on this money subject again.
Re: A Pearl Of Great Value by nuclearboy(m): 7:37am On Nov 14, 2011
I think AIO ought be commended and even encouraged. What he speaks of is what we all can see destroying the very fabric of society and turning otherwise reasonable humans into animals whose God is their bellies.l

And DS, its kind of sad that you would jump to support the lying criminal, depraved assertions we see put out here with your refrain of "he supported it from scripture", yet speak against an article like the above which epitomizes the spirit and love that the founder of Christianity represents
Re: A Pearl Of Great Value by Enigma(m): 8:21am On Nov 14, 2011
^ Well, a claim that maybe the "biological father" of Jesus Christ is a Roman soldier who "quaffed Mary" is supported by mentioned in Wikipedia ---- so that proves it then.  https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-802388.0.html#msg9546224

cool
Re: A Pearl Of Great Value by DeepSight(m): 8:38am On Nov 14, 2011
Oh dear. I see folks, you are yet to leave ur hyper sensitivity on all things DS! I have not even read the OP. I merely noticed that AIO has discussed this a number of times. Nothin more, and i certainly don't see any wrong in his discourses and views in that regard.

So calm down?
Re: A Pearl Of Great Value by DeepSight(m): 8:44am On Nov 14, 2011
Enigma:

^ Well, a claim that maybe the "biological father" of Jesus Christ is a Roman soldier who "quaffed Mary" is supported by mentioned in Wikipedia ---- so that proves it then.  https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-802388.0.html#msg9546224

cool

Proves what exactly? My brother, i would have thought you would be tired of your allergy for me after a season.

In that topic the OP asked for the biological father of Jesus and i pointed him towards some suggestions that have been made, to the effect that it may have been a Roman Soldier. i am glad you were kind enough to note that i said *perhaps*. . .as there is certainly no proof of this. I am however aware of some other writings that make this claim.

You do know all too well that I do not believe in the virgin birth, but if my use of the term *quaff* was offensive, i do apologize for that.
Re: A Pearl Of Great Value by Enigma(m): 8:47am On Nov 14, 2011
^Whatever.

As I said to another poster, I don't generally refute idiocy except for a particular danger; I prefer to just point it out.

cool
Re: A Pearl Of Great Value by DeepSight(m): 8:52am On Nov 14, 2011
Idiocy? Na wah o.

Well, Nuc, just FYI the 'money subject' i was referring to is the allusion to the phantom value of money in the OP. . . This is a subject that was debated extensively between Pastor AIO and NLMediator i think. On a phone now, so cant source the link.

The discussion dwelled heavily of the technicality and question of value of money as a means of exchange. As such, my reference has nothing to do with your thoughts in that regard. It is thus more than curious that that alone would suffice to ressurect Joagbaje, as well as render the Paternity of Jesus relevant here? I would say this resembles obsessive paranoid behaviour.
Re: A Pearl Of Great Value by nuclearboy(m): 10:07am On Nov 14, 2011
@DS:

I wager it has not escaped notice I rarely make comments here anymore. My reason then is everytime money is mentioned by the troll you name above, you find reason to lend credence to his views whist a sincere "Christ Spirit" post like OP's gets nothing but a sneer (for whatever reason) from your August self. What should I think?

Now, I saw your immediate rebuttal AND excuse and I kept quiet. So why would it be "Nuke" that is expressing what you term "obsessive paranoia"? ?

Read through the thread again - who's defending and positing? And answer plainly - is it DS or myself?
Re: A Pearl Of Great Value by DeepSight(m): 12:29pm On Nov 14, 2011
^ Sorry Egbon. For me it's just very telling and very sad - very emblematic of an unfortunate mindset. Just got before my PC now and so I will source the link I had in mind and when you read it, you will see exactly why this is just so comical.

Here it is -

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-696891.32.html

Please, Egbon, I beg you in the name of the almighty God - take a moment and look at the link!

The discussion there took a very technical macro-economic bent with some emphasis on money as a tool of economic transaction in the modern world - vis-a-vis its real or phantom value. Alot was discussed about banking and finance, usury, money supply, etc etc. The discussion to this very interesting tangent from the OP which had initially been about Islamic Banking.

I thought it was a very very interesting discourse and I dearly wanted to contribute therein but left off for personal reasons. Now there are allusions in parts of the OP here which i only skimmed over, to one of the issues in the other thread to wit: the phantom value of money.

So this is the entire reason that I made my remark - namely that Pastor was discussing this money issue again. Period. It was my intention to make a few remarks with reference to the prior discussion as the thread developed.

As you may see - my comment thus did not even have anything to do with religion!

You can thus understand how terribly terribly strange it is when one person comes in and then castigates me for "speaking against" the OP! And then brings Joe Agbaje into it! And another scurries off to produce a thread discussing Jesus' paternity! And begins to declare one an id.iot! It's mind boggling!

Jesus!

This is exactly why I said that this is a clear case of obsessive paranoia.

I have only bothered to lay this out because I hope it would help you guys slow down on the crucify Deep Sight Train. . . for sometimes, like in this instance, you jump headfirst into something that you know nothing off and speak terribly off tangent! Which is very sad indeed~!
Re: A Pearl Of Great Value by nuclearboy(m): 12:41pm On Nov 14, 2011
Brother, I did see the referenced thread awhile back. It, to be frank, bored me so I lost interest in it - too verbose and un-educative (for me).

But please read AIO's opening post on THIS thread again. What he does "HERE" is present and thus contrast 2 points of view - that of Christ AND that of the church-sellers!

He is not discussing money but rather the "basis" of "hopes" - one person will sell all, lose all and give all for a "afterlife". The other wants cash, oodles and bags and trunks full of it and often is ready to do anything to acquire it. How can they agree? Yet that is what we see Christianity reduced to with the money-changers seemingly atop the heap!

Where we have a problem then is this - I apologise if you would have it that I have given you too much credit for intellect but the DS we have read from here on NL cannot read the OP on this thread and claim AIO is discussing naira as an end in itself. You, of course, know of what I speak

My apologies if I gave too much credit! But we both know I did not.
Re: A Pearl Of Great Value by DeepSight(m): 1:26pm On Nov 14, 2011
Egbon - ofcourse i do not imagine he is discussing naira and kobo. I merely skimmed through the post, eys caught a point of interest - which interest was on this portion quoted below and its relationship to the prior thread on money -

What is the deceitfulness inherent in riches?  Money is used to represent value, but there is always a danger, as with all representations,  that in so doing it actually starts to distort value too. There comes a point when we are so focused on maximising monetary profits that we lose sight of our objective of creating real tangible value.  Instead economic activity becomes a series of slight of hand techniques.   This has become more and more evident lately.

Everyone can be interested in an aspect of a discourse. There truly was no reason for the sudden assumptions and vituperations of yourself and your co traveller. That is obvious. You guys need to calm down.

But no worries! Have a great day!
Re: A Pearl Of Great Value by PastorAIO: 1:59pm On Nov 14, 2011
Money is used to represent value, but there is always a danger, as with all representations, that in so doing it actually starts to distort value too.

Representations. They are dangerous. This is the case with all Icons and images. Whether it is God that is being represented or Value, or a personality. As long as the representation is not the thing in itself there remains a danger of distortion. Like Idol worship will take you away from God, so will Money take you away from creating real value in your life.
Re: A Pearl Of Great Value by DeepSight(m): 2:40pm On Nov 14, 2011
^^^ True that.
Re: A Pearl Of Great Value by TobiasSper: 7:28am On Nov 20, 2011
Many thanks, perfect.

(1) (Reply)

Scientists Confirm The Signs Of God / Message To Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor Critics / The Western World Celebrates Satanic Halloween

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.