Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,950 members, 7,949,261 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 12:44 AM

Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them (10592 Views)

Professors, Two-time Senator, Others Make Buhari’s Ministerial List - Vanguard / Ayodele Awojobi Foresaw It All / Fashola Honours A Great Lagosian And Engineering Genius, Ayodele Awojobi. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by emmatok(m): 9:22am On Nov 15, 2011
Comparing an Inventor [/b]with an[b] Author is wrong.

Achebe,Shoyinka never invented anything .

Awojobi and Philip are inventors.

In Africa how many people are educated enough to read Achebe or Shoyinka books.

But the-same uneducated  people ride cars, bicycle and motorcycles.

China is a world power today because of her  inventions.

Professors Ayodele Awojobi started Autonov 1 project in the 1970s, how many auto-mobile  companies do we have as at 1970s.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by Librate(m): 9:23am On Nov 15, 2011
so  the NAMED proff awojobi accepted that award ?
if he did Proff Chinua is better
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by aribisala0(m): 9:24am On Nov 15, 2011
The Art of War (simplified Chinese: 孙子兵法; traditional Chinese: 孫子兵法; pinyin: Sūn​zǐ​ Bīng​ Fǎ) is attributed to Sun Tzu. It presents a philosophy of war for managing conflicts and winning battles. Some modern scholars believe that, contrary to popular belief, it contains not only the writings of the original author, but also commentary and clarifications from later military philosophers, such as Li Quan and Du Mu. It is accepted as a masterpiece on strategy and frequently cited and referred to by generals and theorists since it was first published, translated, and distributed internationally.[7] There are numerous theories concerning when the text was completed, and concerning the identity of the author or authors, but archeological recoveries have proven that the Art of War had roughly achieved its current form by at least the early Han dynasty (206 BCE – 220 CE).[8] Because it is impossible to prove definitively when the Art of War was completed before this date, the differing theories concerning the work's author(s) and date of completion are unlikely to ever be completely resolved.[9]

Of the military texts written before the unification of China in the 2nd century BC, six major works survived, including The Art of War. During the Song Dynasty in the late 1st millennium AD, these six works were combined with a Tang Dynasty text into a collection called the Seven Military Classics. As a central part of that compilation, The Art of War formed the foundations of orthodox military theory in China. Illustrating this point, the book was required reading to pass the tests needed for imperial appointment to military positions.[10]

According to Simpkins & Simpkins, Sun Tzu's Art of War uses language that may be unusual in a Western text on warfare and strategy. For example, the 11th chapter states that a leader must be "serene and inscrutable" and capable of comprehending "unfathomable plans". They state that the text contains many similar remarks that have long confused Western readers lacking an awareness of the East Asian context. The meaning of such statements are clearer when interpreted in the context of Taoist thought and practice. Sun Tzu viewed the ideal general as an enlightened Taoist master, which has led to The Art of War being considered a prime example of Taoist strategy.[11] The Art of War is distinguished from similar Western works, such as Prussian general Carl von Clausewitz's On War, by this spiritual dimension. Awareness of the Taoist viewpoint in The Art of War is essential to understanding its intended meaning.[12]

The book is not only popular among military theorists, but has also become increasingly popular among political leaders and those in business management. Despite its title, The Art of War addresses strategy in a broad fashion, touching upon public administration and planning. The text outlines theories of battle but also advocates diplomacy and cultivating relationships with other nations as essential to the health of a state.[7] The Art of War is listed on the Marine Corps Professional Reading Program (formerly known as the Commandant's Reading List). It is recommended reading for all United States Military Intelligence personnel and is required reading for all CIA officers.[13]

In 1972, scholars uncovered a collection of ancient texts written on unusually well-preserved bamboo slips. Among them were the Art of War and Sun Bin's Military Methods. Although Han Dynasty bibliographies noted the latter publication as extant and written by a descendant of Sun, it had since been lost. The finding of Sun Bin's work is considered to be extremely important, both because of Sun Bin's relationship to Sun Tzu, and because of the work's addition to the body of military thought in late Chinese antiquity. The discovery as a whole significantly expanded the body of surviving Warring States military theory. Sun Bin's treatise is the only known military text surviving from the Warring States period discovered in the twentieth century, and bears the closest similarity to the Art of War of all surviving texts.[14]
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by success4(m): 9:25am On Nov 15, 2011
The OP is a disgrace to humanity! It shows how retaaaaaaaaaarrrrrded he is.
Is just like comparing Maradona and Sergio Ramos.

However, Seun is smiling  grin grin grin
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by TRUTHTELA: 9:37am On Nov 15, 2011
IGNORANCE UNLIMITED, If you ever think Soyina is better than Achebe. Every informed Nigerian, knows how Soyinka got his NOBLE peace prize ( IT WAS BECAUSE HE BELONGS THE SAME FRATERNITY with the founder of NOBLE). and how he associates with corrupt govts in Nigeria. and when they fail to do his BIDDINGS he'll be criticizing them in the media. Soyinka, was the pioneer chairman of FRSC. Soyinka, is a typical ( HYPCOCRITE) yourba man, Soyinka, has done well for himself & will never match the achievements of ACHEBE. I have more respect for Gani, than Soyinka. Achebe? do you know how much of him the world crave for? I have US & european friends that have read & still keep a copy of his EVERGREEN, THINGS FALL APART. Two presidents have begged achebe for a national award & he turned it down. Soyinka never had such an opportunity. Achebe's literature is INDISPENSIBLE globally & have stood the taste of time. Same cannot be said of Soyinka's writing. Be honest to youurselves and GOOGLE their records.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by slap1(m): 9:41am On Nov 15, 2011
There's still no basis for comparison. Achebe is great, so is Awojobi. Those saying they've never heard of Awojobi should know that the man died long ago, that's why you may need Google. In thirty or forty years' time, our children may need Google to know Achebe, Soyinka, et al. Most of us know about Gadaffi and Idi Amin, but we don't know about Pol Pot.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by slap1(m): 9:49am On Nov 15, 2011
TRUTHTELA:

IGNORANCE UNLIMITED, If you ever think Soyina is better than Achebe. Every informed Nigerian, knows how Soyinka got his NOBLE peace prize ( IT WAS BECAUSE HE BELONGS THE SAME FRATERNITY with the founder of NOBLE). and how he associates with corrupt govts in Nigeria. and when they fail to do his BIDDINGS he'll be criticizing them in the media. Soyinka, was the pioneer chairman of FRSC. Soyinka, is a typical ( HYPCOCRITE) yourba man, Soyinka, has done well for himself & will never match the achievements of ACHEBE. I have more respect for Gani, than Soyinka. Achebe? do you know how much of him the world crave for? I have US & european friends that have read & still keep a copy of his EVERGREEN, THINGS FALL APART. Two presidents have begged achebe for a national award & he turned it down. Soyinka never had such an opportunity. Achebe's literature is INDISPENSIBLE globally & have stood the taste of time. Same cannot be said of Soyinka's writing. Be honest to youurselves and GOOGLE their records.
Bro, I don't agree with you at all! Did you study literature at all? Did you read Soyinka? How can you say that he didn't deserve the Nobel? And which fraternity are you talking about? Your post epitomizes ignorance on a fresh, exclusive level.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by sheyguy: 9:51am On Nov 15, 2011
slap1:

There's still no basis for comparison. Achebe is great, so is Awojobi. Those saying they've never heard of Awojobi should know that the man died long ago, that's why you may need Google. In thirty or forty years' time, our children may need Google to know Achebe, Soyinka, et al. Most of us know about Gadaffi and Idi Amin, but we don't know about Pol Pot.
pls tell them well oh!

emmatok:

Comparing an Inventor [/b]with an[b] Author is wrong.

Achebe,Shoyinka never invented anything .

Awojobi and Philip are inventors.

In Africa how many people are educated  enough  to read Achebe or Shoyinka books.

But the-same uneducated  people ride cars, bicycle and motorcycles.

China is a world power today because of her  inventions.

Professors Ayodele Awojobi started Autonov 1 project in the 1970s, how many auto-mobile  companies do we have as at 1970s.

i tried to make em understand same in previous thread but they wouldn't understand.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by texazzpete(m): 10:44am On Nov 15, 2011
Librate:

the comparism here is SIMPLE
Proff Chinua Achebe is far more better than that {man seeking for recognition} prof awojobi or whatever
and i will suggest you COMPARE proff wole soyinka & proff ayodele awojobi not our Proff Chinua Achebe

Librate:

so  the NAMED proff awojobi accepted that award ?
if he did Proff Chinua is better

You're now officially the most silly fellow on Nairaland, a disgrace to whichever tribe you belong to. Even your most rabid tribalistic kinsmen would be really ashamed of you.

First you say Prof Awojobi is a 'foolish man seeking for recognition'. Now you say he accepted an award yesterday!

You're too silly to realize The man died in 1984, and he died a hero whose works and legacy are highly respected. Naturally, your limited brains cannot compel you to look the fellow up with a simple Google search.

This is why many people are turning to atheism these days. A brilliant fellow like Awojobi died young at 47. A great fellow like Achebe is wheelchair bound. Yet a thrice accursed imbecilic toad like you is still alive and walking around. Smh.

1 Like

Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by Mkpotu(m): 10:45am On Nov 15, 2011
I don't even know who the Professor Awojobi is, even as a student of UNILAG, though I am not in Engineering Faculty.

Guess there is no need for the comparison as Chinua Achebe is well known and recognized both in the diaspora and locally.

Meanwhile, where is Ayodele Awojobi now?
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by texazzpete(m): 10:47am On Nov 15, 2011
Mkpotu:

I don't even know who the Professor Awojobi is, even as a student of UNILAG, though I am not in Engineering Faculty.

Guess there is no need for the comparison as Chinua Achebe is well known and recognized both in the diaspora and locally.

Meanwhile, where is Ayodele Awojobi now?

He's dead.

Also, Prof. Awojobi was well known and respected locally and internationally. His death made headlines of every paper in Nigeria. There's a statue of him in Lagos and a few streets are named after him. Blame yourself for not knowing who he was.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by Mkpotu(m): 10:56am On Nov 15, 2011
Anyway, guess since he died in 1984, i would have known, moreso as his policies/achievements do not have direct impact on my life or any other ordinary citizen.

Meanwile, there are lots of people that are named after streets in Lagos, thus its not my duty to go about asking who they are and what they achieved while on earth.

All the same, I wish him & all of us well, but in any reasonable man's right thinking sense, i do not see any need/justification for the comparison. They are not mates in any ramification except for the global title "Prof"
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by HyeBits: 11:07am On Nov 15, 2011
PROF. AWOJOBI LIVED FOR 47 YEARS TO ACHIEVE THESE

[b]Ayodele was a straight-‘A’s secondary school student, while at the CMS Grammar school, passing his West African School Certificate examinations with a record eight distinctions in 1955. He proceeded to the Nigerian College of Arts, Science and Technology, Ibadan, for his General Certificate of Examinations, GCE (Advanced Level), where in 1958 he sat for, and obtained distinctions in all his papers: Physics, Pure Mathematics and Applied Mathematics. In 1962 Awojobi was awarded his first degree in Mechanical Engineering – a BSc (Eng) London, with first class honours, at the then Nigerian College of Arts, Science and Technology, Zaria (now Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria).[3] He had studied there on a federal government scholarship won on the merit of his performance in the GCE (Advanced Level) examinations of 1958.[3]

It was said by Akintola Ajai (himself an engineering graduate of the University of London), that when Awojobi arrived at the Nigerian College of Arts, Science and Technology, Zaria, he boasted openly saying that it was his intention to finish the whole course within a period of three years only; an impracticable feat due to the fact that nowhere was the BSc Mechanical Engineering curriculum designed to run less than four years. Ayodele accomplished it in three years just as he had predicted.[6]

The federal government awarded Awojobi another scholarship in 1962 to study further at the post-graduate level in the field of Mechanical Engineering at the Imperial College of the University of London (now Imperial College London). He completed the course, successfully defending his thesis, and was awarded a PhD in Mechanical Engineering in 1966.[/b]
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by Jarus(m): 11:25am On Nov 15, 2011
The guy was widely regarded as a genius then, sometimes irrational sef. You know all those Profs of old that behave somehow
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by HyeBits: 11:28am On Nov 15, 2011
PROF. AYODELE - AN INVENTOR

While as a lecturer in the University of Lagos, Awojobi successfully converted his own family car, an Opel Record, from right-hand drive to a left-hand drive.[10]

He tinkered further with motor engines when he acquired an army-type jeep and proceeded to invent a second steering wheel mechanism, adjoined to the pre-existing engine at the rear end, so that the vehicle was able to move in both forward and backward directions with all four pre-existing gears.[11] This gave the hybrid vehicle, which he christened Autonov 1, the ability to achieve its highest speeds at a moment's notice, in the normal reverse direction. He highlighted the advantage this might offer to army vehicles, as an example, that might need to make a fast retreat, in a cul-de-sac or ambush situation
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by HyeBits: 11:31am On Nov 15, 2011
PROF. AWOJOBI - AN EDUCATIONIST

Ayodele Awojobi became, at one time, the chairman, Lagos State School’s Management Board, out of his concern for ways to better improve the problems inherent in secondary school education in Lagos State, Nigeria. Awojobi desired that all his children go to public schools. The older ones all did. Such was his vision and hope that the country would some day attain equitable distribution in the quality of education cutting across different social strata. Ayodele authored several books for both the secondary and tertiary levels of education in Nigeria.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by Mkpotu(m): 11:35am On Nov 15, 2011
Abeg forget all these gospel, he has tried during his life time, but that does not warrant such comparison, please. Shoes get size.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by Librate(m): 11:36am On Nov 15, 2011
did u scan, preview my comments or you read them cus a normal english student will DIFFERENCIATE between question mark <?> and a comma <,>.
do you have minor problem upstairs(i mean BRAIN)? and pls read this one well and check the question mark b4 u make yoruba-like comments wack !!!
\
inshort KISS MY A.SS, PUT YOUR LIPS IN MY AASS & KISS IT A BIG ONE A FRENCH KISS EEEEHHH I DEMAND YOU KISS MY AaSSs wack  kisskiss my ass TExxazzpete
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by badesco(m): 11:43am On Nov 15, 2011
There should be no comparison of the both. everybody knows that Prof. Ayodele Awojobi remains one on Nigeria's best and well known over the world before his demise. so you cant compare the two.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by Jarus(m): 11:45am On Nov 15, 2011
Librate:

did u scan, preview my comments or you read them cus a normal english student will DIFFERENCIATE between question mark <?> and a comma <,>.
do you have minor problem upstairs(i mean BRAIN)? and pls read this one well and check the question mark b4 u make yoruba-like comments wack !!!
\
inshort KISS MY behind, PUT YOUR LIPS IN MY AASS & KISS IT A BIG ONE A FRENCH KISS EEEEHHH I DEMAND YOU KISS MY AaSSs wack  kisskiss my Bottom TExxazzpete
Abnormal English teacher, don't teach us nonsense.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by aloyemeka4: 12:24pm On Nov 15, 2011
Eko Ile:

You mean compare between a poet and engineer? Sometimes I wonder about the sanity of many of you re-tards on NL.

Isn't the most logical and sensible thing to do is to compare a poet with another poet (Though I'll never compare both because they are great men and national treasures) like say Wole Shoyinka And Chinua Achebe. One received a Nobel prize and the other though equally great, but is yet to receive the same recognition.

When you people because of your low self esteem and insecurities bring up these destructive and needless arguments, you end up tarnishing the image and prestige of these great men.

Don't start what you can not finish.

You are equally wrong as the OP. Achebe is not a poet.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by aribisala0(m): 1:07pm On Nov 15, 2011
The muon (pronounced /ˈmjuːɒn/; from the Greek letter mu (μ) used to represent it) is an elementary particle similar to the electron, with a unitary negative electric charge and a spin of ½. Together with the electron, the tau, and the three neutrinos, it is classified as a lepton. As is the case with other leptons, the muon is not believed to have any sub-structure at all (i.e., is not thought to be composed of any simpler particles).

The muon is an unstable subatomic particle with a mean lifetime of 2.2 µs. This comparatively long decay life time (the second longest known) is due to being mediated by the weak interaction. The only longer lifetime for an unstable subatomic particle is that for the free neutron, a baryon particle composed of quarks, which also decays via the weak force. All muons decay to three particles (an electron plus two neutrinos of different types), but the daughter particles are believed to originate newly in the decay.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by Dede1(m): 1:08pm On Nov 15, 2011
Granted the Autonov 1 was attempted con job on the psychic of Nigerians, there is no logical ground needed to compare novelist with engineer.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by aribisala0(m): 1:10pm On Nov 15, 2011
Deoxyribonucleic acid (/diˌɒksiˌraɪbɵ.njuːˌkleɪ.ɨk ˈæsɪd/ ( listen); DNA) is a nucleic acid that contains the genetic instructions used in the development and functioning of all known living organisms (with the exception of RNA viruses). The DNA segments that carry this genetic information are called genes, but other DNA sequences have structural purposes, or are involved in regulating the use of this genetic information. Along with RNA and proteins, DNA is one of the three major macromolecules that are essential for all known forms of life.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by aribisala0(m): 1:14pm On Nov 15, 2011
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.

2:1 I, Allah, am the best Knower.

2:2 This Book, there is no doubt in it, is a guide to those who keep their duty,

2:3 Who believe in the Unseen and keep up prayer and spend out of what We have given them,

2:4 And who believe in that which has been revealed to thee and that which was revealed before thee, and of the Hereafter they are sure.

2:5 These are on a right course from their Lord and these it is that are successful.

2:6 Those who disbelieve — it being alike to them whether thou warn them or warn them not — they will not believe.

2:7 Allah has sealed their hearts and their hearing; and there is a covering on their eyes, and for them is a grievous chastisement.

2:8 And there are some people who say: We believe in Allah and the Last Day; and they are not believers.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by aribisala0(m): 1:47pm On Nov 15, 2011
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.

112:1 Say: He, Allah, is One.

112:2 Allah is He on Whom all depend.

112:3 He begets not, nor is He begotten;

112:4 And none is like Him.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by slap1(m): 1:49pm On Nov 15, 2011
^^
Enyia, O gini?
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by aribisala0(m): 1:50pm On Nov 15, 2011
4Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:

5And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

6And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:

7And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by aribisala0(m): 1:54pm On Nov 15, 2011
THE IFA: OGBERIKUSA

The blind and disabled are friends

The disabled person asked the blind person:

Is this how we are going to die of suffering?

The blind responded: what shall we do about it?

The disabled answered: let us go and ask a wise person what to do.

They inquired of the wise person: will we ever walk or see again?

The wise person queried: Have you ever walked or seen before?

They answered: never!

They were asked to perform an offering.,.,.,.,.,.,.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by texazzpete(m): 2:42pm On Nov 15, 2011
Dede1:

Granted the Autonov 1 was attempted con job on the psychic of Nigerians, there is no logical ground needed to compare novelist with engineer.   

You can be sure nobody here expected an intelligent contribution from your hate-filled arse.

Mkpotu:

Abeg forget all these gospel, he has tried during his life time, but that does not warrant such comparison, please. Shoes get size.

The comparison itself is brainless and it needs to be condemned in very strong terms, not fueled by statements such as yours.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by texazzpete(m): 2:44pm On Nov 15, 2011
Librate:

\
inshort KISS MY behind, PUT YOUR LIPS IN MY AASS & KISS IT A BIG ONE A FRENCH KISS EEEEHHH I DEMAND YOU KISS MY AaSSs wack  kisskiss my Bottom TExxazzpete

Now that we've established that you're a dunce, do you really expect me to waste my time on you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Al Turki's Phone Theft Is A Lie - Sheikh Yakubu Musa Katsina / Fuel Scarcity: Senate Summons Kachikwu / Agba Jalingo: SERAP Drags FG, Cross River To ECOWAS Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.