Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,175 members, 7,880,662 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 12:26 AM

How I Cleverly Evaded Police Extortion. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How I Cleverly Evaded Police Extortion. (246 Views)

“imminent” Default Evaded As Russia Pays Its Foreign Debts Despite Sanctions / How Makoko Can Be Transformed By N100 Billion Tax Evaded By Alpha Beta / How I Evaded The Nigerian Army During Operation Python Dance - Nnamdi Kanu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Cleverly Evaded Police Extortion. by Whalis: 7:36pm On Mar 11
This was happening in Port Harcourt and precisely Rumuokoro Junction. I was waiting to board a cab going to Rumuola. I attempted to board severally but I was unable due to taxi drivers claiming they hadn't change. Although I was enjoying my time listening to members of FRAN(Free Readers of Association of Nigeria)
arguing about current events. What Wike did and didn't. What Nnamdi Kanu will do and so on. I didn't care to read the papers myself I just wanted them to give me the summaries which I knew were laced with a biased mindset.
While I was standing I didn't know that some policemen on patrol had spotted me as a soft target. Of course I look very calm, cool and collected. There is no doubt that with the right threat they would get some money from me. But they didn't realise that I am a Port Harcourt boy through and through with some elements of Warri and Lagos where I have also lived.
One of the policemen accosted and told.me his superior in the patrol van wanted to see me. I wasn't scared. I thought perhaps one of the senior police officers I had met somewhere had identified me. I walked with him to the van only for me to realise that I knew none of them. The next thing they asked me to do was to hop in. I asked them to where and for what purpose. They replied they would let me know. Truly I was a little bit perturbed although I didn't show my fear. I was beaming with smile. One I was going to Rumuola and the van was facing Rumuokoro to Rumuokwuta for those who know PH.
As the van gradually gained traction I once again calmly asked them my offences. Then did one of them told me that I was a pick pocket suspect. Laughs! I turned around to be very sure it wasn't me they were referring to. There was no other civilian save me. They said they were watching me making attempts to board taxis that I wouldn't. I had to explain to them what was happening. That the drivers were always asking for the exact amount as they had no ' change '. And each time I showed #1000 I had on me they would ask me to alight. I made sure I didn't communicate in pidgin even when they did.

To be continued...
Re: How I Cleverly Evaded Police Extortion. by dnawah(m): 8:12pm On Mar 11
Whalis:
This was happening in Port Harcourt and precisely Rumuokoro Junction. I was waiting to board a cab going to Rumuola. I attempted to board severally but I was unable due to taxi drivers claiming they hadn't change. Although I was enjoying my time listening to members of FRAN(Free Readers of Association of Nigeria)
arguing about current events. What Wike did and didn't. What Nnamdi Kanu will do and so on. I didn't care to read the papers myself I just wanted them to give me the summaries which I knew were laced with a biased mindset.
While I was standing I didn't know that some policemen on patrol had spotted me as a soft target. Of course I look very calm, cool and collected. There is no doubt that with the right threat they would get some money from me. But they didn't realise that I am a Port Harcourt boy through and through with some elements of Warri and Lagos where I have also lived.
One of the policemen accosted and told.me his superior in the patrol van wanted to see me. I wasn't scared. I thought perhaps one of the senior police officers I had met somewhere had identified me. I walked with him to the van only for me to realise that I knew none of them. The next thing they asked me to do was to hop in. I asked them to where and for what purpose. They replied they would let me know. Truly I way a little bit perturbed although I didn't show my fear. I was beaming with smile. One I was going to Rumuola and the van was facing Rumuokoro to Rumuokwuta for those who know PH.
As the van gradually gained traction I once again calmly asked them my offences. Then did one of them told me that I was a pick pocket suspect. Laughs! I turned around to be very sure it wasn't me they were referring to. There was no other civilian save me. They said they were watching making attempts to board taxis that I wouldn't. I had to explain to them what was happening. That the drivers were always asking for the exact amount as they had no ' change '. And each time I showed #1000 I had on me they would ask me to alight. I made sure I didn't communicate in pidgin even when they did.

To be continued...
continue in mama Peace voice.
Re: How I Cleverly Evaded Police Extortion. by FreedomArmy: 8:34pm On Mar 11
Waiting for the continuation
Re: How I Cleverly Evaded Police Extortion. by Ddeliverer007(m): 9:14pm On Mar 11
So as we continued going, they kept speaking pidgin English while I continued to reply them in my normal Queen’s English. They drove a few blocks and stopped the vehicle, they asked me to alight, one of them asked me to confess if I was a pickpocket or a yahoo boy. I replied in the negative. He pointed his gun at me and this time he was furious. He asked me what was inside my bag, I replied nothing save my iphone 14 promax and my original charger. He angrily collected my bag, searched it through and through.
The next thing I knew, he was searching my pockets, probably for drugs. I was so lucky he didn’t find the drug on my back pocket. I would have been in soup.
He asked why I was fidgeting, I told him I wasn’t fidgeting, I tried to remain calm through out our entire conversation.
He then asked me to give them 10k for fuel. That was when the Warri and Lagos mixed with Rivers boy in me came out. I shouted “haba, for this tinubu regime”? Those words resonated with them more than I could ever imagine. They knew how tinubu has destroyed the country and how there is no money in Nigeria anymore.
They asked me to go. And I bounced away.

As the op no gree finish his useless story, I help am spoil am..😂😂😂😂
Re: How I Cleverly Evaded Police Extortion. by Whalis: 9:57pm On Mar 11
One of them told me I would explain further when I get to the station. While I was still in the dark of what would be the next scene one of them turned to ask me where I worked. I knew where this was gearing to. I told them I don't work rather I school. This was a lie. They asked for the school and I mentioned Uniport. I could read the disbelief on their faces. I was looking too fleshy for a student. They asked for my ID card I claimed not to have one as it wasn't compulsory to move about with it.
To be continued....
Re: How I Cleverly Evaded Police Extortion. by Whalis: 10:20pm On Mar 11
Like someone said above they wanted to know the contents of my bag. They saw my work laptop and training manuals. They couldn't read any meaning out of it. I then took over the questioning from them. I told them I was surprised they couldn't recognise me. That I had a good working relationship with the police within the Rumuokoro environs as the secretary general Rumuokoro Youths Federation. This was a lie. Although I could speak Ikwerre but never from neither do I live in Rumuokoro. One of them turned and asked if I were from Rumuokoro which I answered in affirmation. I said that was why I had the confidence of following them in the first place. That I thought that it was the usual police officers we worked with. I could telepathically read what was going on in their mind. 'This is a bad market'.
I engaged them with one story to the other till they drove to mile 4 and veered off to the filling station just beside Kala Police Station.
There they asked me to come down and to help them fuel the van as a youth executive. Lol. I insisted I hadn't money but in a bid to prove that while searching my pockets two thousand naira fell from my pocket. The didn't allow me to pick. They took it and freed me.
That was how I cleverly and diplomatically escaped police trump up charges.
Lesson learnt: Always be calm no matter the situation.
Reason ahead of any situation you might be in. Always be polite to the law enforcement agencies. Always be guided at all times. Be aware of every situation and environment.
Re: How I Cleverly Evaded Police Extortion. by jmoore(m): 10:44pm On Mar 11
You were kidnapped and freed after paying 2,000 naira.

(1) (Reply)

Edo PDP Leaders Applaud Ighodalo’s Choice Of Running Mate / Catholic Bishops Seek Nnamdi Kanu Release / Customs Suspends 25% Penalty On Improperly Imported Vehicles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.