Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,527 members, 7,905,044 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 02:25 AM

I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe (8888 Views)

Baba Suwe Excretes 16 Pellets Of Cocaine, Cries Like Baby / Breaking News- Baba Suwe Finally Put To Bed / NDLEA Obtains Court Order To Keep Baba Suwe 15 more Days - SaharaReporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by Babasessy(m): 12:33am On Nov 14, 2011
I was set up –Baba Suwe
BY OLA AGBAJE
Monday, Nov 14 2011

Ace comedian, Babatunde Omidina, (aka Baba Suwe), has described himself as a victim of a conspiracy by faceless individuals who were envious of his exploits in his chosen profession.

Baba Suwe gave the verdict on Sunday during a press conference addressed by his lawyers led by Mr Bamidele Aturu. Reflecting on the event at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja shortly before his arrest on October 12, 2011 by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), the renowned comedian said that he was only told to enter an office to meet with the NDLEA men.

“As soon as I arrived at the airport, a woman sitting at the counter just asked me to go inside one room where the NDLEA officials were. As soon as I entered the room, they arrested me. Nobody told me my offence even when I demanded”, he said.

Explaining the dehumanizing treatment Baba Suwe was subjected to, Aturu who told the gathering that the comedian was now a free man as the anti-narcotic agency had returned all the items seized from him including wristwatch, jewelries and three mobile phones, said they were going back to the court to seek redress.
“He was chained in the legs like a common criminal. They asked him to lie down, they wanted to beat him, but common sense prevailed. He was asked to wear gloves and search for narcotics in his own excreta. That is quite unacceptable. We are going to sue for damages.

He noted that even the two reports relied on by the agency were materially contradictory. According to the human rights lawyer, while the report of October 26 speculated that there was a substance, that of October 28 revealed there was no foreign burden in his system.

Baba Suwe who showed the scar of his manacled ankle to journalists, said he could not pinpoint those that masterminded his ordeal, but was convinced that he was a victim of a set-up

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/nov/14/national-14-11-2011-004.html
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by Kilode1: 1:03am On Nov 14, 2011
He was asked to wear gloves and search for narcotics in his own excreta. That is quite unacceptable. We are going to sue for damages.

As a country, the manner in which we treat our own people says a lot about our societal values.

No respect for human dignity. That is the thread running through most of these cases with Nigerian security services.

Absolutely no respect or regard for the humanity we all share.
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by OAM4J: 1:14am On Nov 14, 2011
Very appalling and disgusting. sad

he should sue them for all they've got to pay.
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by AfroBlue(m): 1:17am On Nov 14, 2011
He probably got tired of and refused to pay the airport bribe tax and the next time he traveled they had something for his azz .

Pun intended.
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by Nobody: 2:26am On Nov 14, 2011
TBH I'm tured of hearing about this.

Let him sue them and get it over with.

I've known that sth was iffy about the whole allegation and the doofus judge who extended his detention without any further proof. How does a judge allow a man to be detained while fully knowing that ingested drugs cannot stay in the body for 3wks. Chaiiii, this one na real "odikwa serious" shiot.
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 4:29am On Nov 14, 2011
I tire o
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by Suntemi(m): 9:25am On Nov 14, 2011
Kilode?!:

As a country, the manner in which we treat our own people says a lot about our societal values.

No respect for human dignity. That is the thread running through most of these cases with Nigerian security services.

Absolutely no respect or regard for the humanity we all share.

You are right, this is the same way men of the Nigeria Police treat civilian. People get beaten without no offense and if you try to confront them, you will to taking to the prison, they may force you to write statement that you are a thief, passer-by can't help you because everyone is afraid of what might happen afterward.
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by shadrach77: 9:42am On Nov 14, 2011
@ the news conference

Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by omo9ja1(m): 9:58am On Nov 14, 2011
well I think there was error in the system, somebody will be held responsible, useless people
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by texazzpete(m): 10:08am On Nov 14, 2011
Pity that he probably won't win if he takes NDLEA to court.
Detaining him was Standard Operating Procedure for the agency as soon as potential drugs were spotted in his innards by the scan. Also remember that the NDLEA obtained permission from a competent court to hold him for 15 days to properly inspect him.

As long as there is no evidence of mistreatment, NDLEA was legally empowered to hold him and thus cannot lose such a lawsuit.
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by Nobody: 10:39am On Nov 14, 2011

I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe

No! u were up set!
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by eghost247(m): 10:42am On Nov 14, 2011
thank God he is ok, Carry go LARINLOODU grin grin
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by emmatok(m): 11:11am On Nov 14, 2011
texazzpete:

Detaining him was Standard Operating Procedure for the agency as soon as potential drugs were spotted in his innards by the scan. Also remember that the NDLEA obtained permission from a competent court to hold him for 15 days to properly inspect him.

As long as there is no evidence of mistreatment, NDLEA was legally empowered to hold him and thus cannot lose such a lawsuit.

Who told you that.

Did the Court ordered NDLEA to Pumped Water Into Baba Suwe's Anus.

Do you know the medical implications.

In better countries that NDLEA BOSS will be forced to resign or be sacked.
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by aribisala0(m): 11:16am On Nov 14, 2011
texazzpete:

Detaining him was Standard Operating Procedure for the agency[b] as soon as potential drugs were spotted in his innards by the scan[/b]. Also remember that the NDLEA obtained permission from a competent court to hold him for 15 days to properly inspect him.

do you know this to be a fact.? or conjecture.
the machine is capable of taking a still picture which should be produced in court as the basis of their actions. if a scan spotted drugs there must be a hard image either on computer or celluloid. whether the standard operating procedure is  lawful is more  cogent that its "standardness".
our law is clear charge to court after 48 hours .THAT DID NOT HAPPEN he was arrested on 15 october and they got a detention order on the 20/21
the NDLEA obtained permission AFTER he had already been in detention for several days MORE than what is permitted by law about a week .
even that detention order is likely to be ruled unlawful(NOT NDLEA's problem i agree) as our laws do not allow for detention without charge. he must be charged and then remanded.
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by Kakatazz(f): 11:24am On Nov 14, 2011
What a country.
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by eros(m): 12:05pm On Nov 14, 2011
texazzpete:

If this should be the case and which most likely will be, then he should hire some assassins and eliminate every NDLEA official involved in his humiliation. By the time 5 of them are dead, the others will be forced to confess who set him up.

Nigerian law enforcement agencies need to be dealt with real hard and death will only suffice for this animals in human body.
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 12:09pm On Nov 14, 2011
aribisala0:

the machine is capable of taking a still picture which should be produced in court as the basis of their actions. if a scan spotted drugs there must be a hard image either on computer or celluloid. whether the standard operating procedure is  lawful is more  cogent that its "standardness".
our law is clear charge to court after 48 hours .THAT DID NOT HAPPEN he was arrested on 15 october and they got a detention order on the 20/21
the NDLEA obtained permission AFTER he had already been in detention for several days MORE than what is permitted by law about a week .
even that detention order is likely to be ruled unlawful(NOT NDLEA's problem i agree) as our laws do not allow for detention without charge. he must be charged and then remanded.

i dont understand u. Who is to be arrested and remanded?
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by texazzpete(m): 12:18pm On Nov 14, 2011
aribisala0:

Please remember I used the word 'potential'. Do you have problems understanding written English?

The NDLEA has said in numerous press statements that scans detected objects that looked suspiciously like ingested drugs. Why are you asking me about 'facts or conjecture'?

Secondly, the 'charge to court after 48 hours' comes into play after the suspect has excreted drugs. Until the drugs are found, you cannot charge someone to court and of course even you should realize it will be foolhardy to release a potential drug courier just because he failed to excrete in 48 hours. Heck, many people here can easily go 3 days without taking a dump.
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by aribisala0(m): 12:24pm On Nov 14, 2011
BCuZiMBlaCk:

i dont understand u. Who is to be arrested and remanded?

i said "charged and remanded" NOT arrested and remanded.
"he" in this situation is hypothetical;  meaning any person who is arrested

must be charged to court within 48 hours or released. the only way it can go beyond 48 hours is by charging him to court and the court may decide to remand him at the discretion of the court. anyhow there is only one HE in this drama
it seems you ignored the point of my post to focus on what was just a footnote.
my point is baba suwe was arrested on the 15th of October and the NDLEA did not charge him to court and only got a remand order 5 or 6 days later. that was unlawful.
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by aribisala0(m): 12:34pm On Nov 14, 2011
texazzpete:

Please remember I used the word 'potential'. Do you have problems understanding written English?

The NDLEA has said in numerous press statements that scans detected objects that looked suspiciously like ingested drugs. Why are you asking me about 'facts or conjecture'?

Secondly, the 'charge to court after 48 hours' comes into play after the suspect has excreted drugs. Until the drugs are found, you cannot charge someone to court and of course even you should realize it will be foolhardy to release a potential drug courier just because he failed to excrete in 48 hours. Heck, many people here can easily go 3 days without taking a dump.
you made so many categorical statements and i took particular issue with your claim that
texazzpete:

asking whether you knew this for a fact or conjecture and that is what i addressed. i do not believe they were legally empowered to detain him for the entire period 20 days
i think i have expressed my opinion clearly on that. i don't agree with you but i don't believe i was being discourteous about it. quite why you you feel slighted enough to ask me about English is a mystery. anyway i am not an englishman but i do get by in english. my yoruba is much better though.
do you happen to be an Englishman by any chance??

charge to court does not come after excretion.

did they not go to court in the end to get an order on the 20th
they should have done so 3 days earlier. those 3 days were a period of unlawful detention.
did they not get an expert report and CT scan from LASUTH.
all of that should be done within 48 hours .

that is the basis on which BABA SUWE will win any case for unlawful detention. i will not comment on mistreatment

the scan photo is evidence that should have been presented in court as the basis for further detention pending excretion,
if you present a scan photo then a judge can give an order that he be remanded to prison,prison hospital or any other hospital under a "PRISON REGIME" ie as if he is in prison which can mean LUTH etc under prison guard etc
that is the meaning of due process NOT
we will keep you until whenever you poo drugs
the truth is the NDLEA should be able to get a scan photo within minutes,interview him under caution and decide how to proceed
they should have a radiologist and lawyer either on permanent employment or available at very short notice
within 48hours you can put together a prima facie case that will convince a judge to issue a remand order. they bungled and that is the truth
with those kinds of procedures even where actual drugs are found they may not get a conviction because of their failure to follow due process. e.g. giving access to a lawyer or failing to caution him
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by buJu234: 1:00pm On Nov 14, 2011
little wonder everyone is planning to leave this country to even nearby Ghana, what a shame,
i said it that this was a set up,

i had similar experience some months ago when i was travelling to Doha; in fact the NDLEA man seized my passport;
took it and said i must give him $50 or else he will pencil me name down as a drug suspect,

can u imagine?

i looked at him asked him if he found any drug with me; it was a long argument ; he was pushing me to & fro when ever i meet him to ask him what i did,

then i was almost missing my flight;; i finally talked a superior officer of his and she said i should find him some thing; i finally gave in 1000 naira,

I vowed that day that i will never help any military personnels family member if i am in position to do that.

so i think Baba Suwe might have refused to give them money and those govt. crooks said that he is a suspect,

what a shame!!!

do u knw that day that some white men were just looking at both of us,

let me tell u the truth I AM NOT PROUD OF THIS COUNTRY,

i have also face similar things on the road with the police, your papers are complete; he said u must settle him if not u are not going,
when u try to make calls they will either tears ur car paper or maltreat u,

So the Civilian Govt. of a truth doesnt really care abt the civilians that they claim to represent,

do u remember that poor girl that was raped in ABSU, what happened to the guys (nothing)
what abt that poor boy that was shot dead in d president`s own state, what happened to those police (nothing>>> voice mail)

o boy in this country every man to himself while God is 4 all,
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by texazzpete(m): 1:28pm On Nov 14, 2011
aribisala0:

you made so many categorical statements and i took particular issue with your claim thatasking whether you knew this for a fact or conjecture and that is what i addressed. i do not believe they were legally empowered to detain him for the entire period 20 days
i think i have expressed my opinion clearly on that. i don't agree with you but i don't believe i was being discourteous about it. quite why you you feel slighted enough to ask me about English is a mystery. anyway i am not an englishman but i do get by in english. my yoruba is much better though.
do you happen to be an Englishman by any chance??

charge to court does not come after excretion.

did they not go to court in the end to get an order on the 20th
they should have done so 3 days earlier. those 3 days were a period of unlawful detention.
did they not get an expert report and CT scan from LASUTH.
all of that should be done within 48 hours .

that is the basis on which BABA SUWE will win any case for unlawful detention. i will not comment on mistreatment

the scan photo is evidence that should have been presented in court as the basis for further detention pending excretion,
if you present a scan photo then a judge can give an order that he be remanded to prison,prison hospital or any other hospital under a "PRISON REGIME" ie as if he is in prison which can mean LUTH etc under prison guard etc
that is the meaning of due process NOT
we will keep you until whenever you poo drugs
the truth is the NDLEA should be able to get a scan photo within minutes,interview him under caution and decide how to proceed
they should have a radiologist and lawyer either on permanent employment or available at very short notice
within 48hours you can put together a prima facie case that will convince a judge to issue a remand order. they bungled and that is the truth
with those kinds of procedures even where actual drugs are found they may not get a conviction because of their failure to follow due process. e.g. giving access to a lawyer or failing to caution him

I suggest you revisit your initial response to me and see the text you highlighted in bold font. Why attempt to shift the goalpost now?
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by aribisala0(m): 2:03pm On Nov 14, 2011
i am not shifting anything the issue is not about the drugs. it is established that there were grounds for suspicion. in my response did i focus on
veracity of drug find or about his detention. did i question whether or not he carried drugs . that is irrelevant

we were all told there was a scan and my point was they should have used that to legitimize his detention with a court order
i really don't get your point.
the issue is the detention and its lawfulness . in my opinion his detention was unlawful for 3 days

whatever the case don't go around asking people about english it is rude [b]no one has a monopoly on rudeness. [/b]i do not know why you felt slighted that is your own issue. by the way are you English
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by Baawaa(m): 3:55pm On Nov 14, 2011
Let wait and see,if babasuwe dont collect money from NDLEA dat means he carried d stuff
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by Nobody: 4:23pm On Nov 14, 2011
If he's innocent (and was set up, as he claims) then he should sue the NDLEA. It's that simple. Squealing and doing nothing makes him appear guilty (he may well be).
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by aribisala0(m): 4:27pm On Nov 14, 2011
and suing them make him look innocent? i doubt that somehow
our law is clear he is innocent until proven guilty
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by r231(m): 4:34pm On Nov 14, 2011
of cus he was set up
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by aribisala0(m): 4:37pm On Nov 14, 2011
honestly i do not and cannot know.
what should be of concern is those others who do not have baba suwe's fame. what chance do they have against such a bungling NDLEA
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by olalkn(m): 4:59pm On Nov 14, 2011
Wake up Nigerian, we attached to much sentiment to issues in this country.
There are thousands of people traveling out Nigeria on daily basis via same route, So why on earth
was he picked, Lets call a spade and spade, This guy was caught with drugs in his tummy
and arrested,the detail was a history,  a money bag and influential Lagosian  intervene and all of a sudden table turn.If you are fooled,i am not, there cant be a smoke without fire.
He should just thank his luck that he was not caught in one those Asian country otherwise he dead meat.
He should be ashamed of himself and admit he did wrong, oponu akindanidani,alaini ironu ara samaria,
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by kjhova(m): 5:24pm On Nov 14, 2011
come on Olalkn. And your profile shows you reside in London. One will suppose that the civilization over there might have rubbed off on you. You may hate the man, but it is fair to accept that you have no proof of his guilty outside your conjecture. Therefore you are the one attaching sentiments to the issue. And abusing him in Yoruba in your post, that speaks volume of your state. You may wanna rethink.
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by aribisala0(m): 5:41pm On Nov 14, 2011
olalkn:

Wake up Nigerian, we attached to much sentiment to issues in this country.
There are thousands of people traveling out Nigeria on daily basis via same route, So why on earth
was he picked, Lets call a spade and spade, This guy was caught with drugs in his tummy
and arrested,the detail was a history,  a money bag and influential Lagosian  intervene and all of a sudden table turn.If you are fooled,i am not, there cant be a smoke without fire.
He should just thank his luck that he was not caught in one those Asian country otherwise he dead meat.
He should be ashamed of himself and admit he did wrong, oponu akindanidani,alaini ironu ara samaria,

who caught him?
what drug?
how much?
fro all we know while all that drama was playing out real drug pushers were sailing through
Re: I Was Set Up - Baba Suwe by Goldieluks: 6:53pm On Nov 14, 2011
who is this baba suwe? am clueless.

(1) (2) (Reply)

See Why This Baby Refused To Come Out From His Mother's Womb / 25 PHOTOS From Goldie's Funeral / Dj Switch- My Life Is Being Threatened

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.