Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,404 members, 7,881,470 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 08:34 PM

Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash (26554 Views)

Different Types Of Nigerian Landlords (meme Collection) / Edo Landlord Burns Down His House Over Tenants’ Refusal To Pay Rent (Video) / Landlord Blasts Outgoing Tenants Over Toilet Misuse: "Are These Humans Or Pigs?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by chopnaira: 8:49pm On Mar 25
Only if we had a credit check system. Landlords would be able to properly screen their tenants.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by sofeo(m): 8:49pm On Mar 25
It will be well.
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by o123456789(m): 8:50pm On Mar 25
If you are a young graduate, especially of Computer Science or related field and you are in this mess of hardship, better retrace your steps and look for a remote job in tech, Cyber security is the way, you don't need to be a Yahoo Yahoo boy/girl to escape poverty. There are jobs in tech only if you can take the extra step to get them!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Donaldoni: 8:51pm On Mar 25
Piigggs must link it to Tinubu with very miserable grunts. angry

1 Like

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Chummynoni(m): 8:51pm On Mar 25
My landlady and co-tenant don use shout kill themselves this morning.lol

1 Like

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Hollyharjii: 8:53pm On Mar 25
Arobaga:
Let them clash with cutlass and guns so that population of Nigeria will reduce

Imagine a scenario where landlord voted Peter Obi tenant voted Tinubu after series of landlords warning they Tinubu is a disaster

And tenant now comes back to tell landlord that is he not seeing how the economy is that he should be patient things are hard

Mortuary go full that day

Please, try to make use of punctuation mark next time, no offense taken
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Scentedgrance: 8:53pm On Mar 25
My tenants are wonderful people.i m blessed to have them.
I put them in my prayers everyday.

8 Likes

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by OredoPikin: 8:58pm On Mar 25
Islie:

https://leadership.ng/hardship-rent-defaults-soar-as-landlords-tenants-clash/
OP just be posting only Obi news

I love reading agbados comments
Their stupidity is on another level

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by BondRiv: 8:58pm On Mar 25
victorDanladi:

Which stupid choice that yours is not worse than?

Abeg enough of your cry over a fraud and bigot con man electoral loss

It is funny because even Peter Obi they believe would have been the saviour is no better. A simple analysis devoid of sentiments will reveal this. Now, he is strategizing for 2027 and touring the country. It is all about these politicians fulfilling their personal ambitions.

1 Like

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by 1gbdata: 8:59pm On Mar 25
It is not easy
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by LagosFirstSon: 9:00pm On Mar 25
Helinues, Tinubu do this one o

And most of this tenants voted for the world most useless president

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by COMPAQ(m): 9:00pm On Mar 25
NoToPile:

Shikena.

And some instead of some tenants to negotiate increment with abeg consider us they will be carrying shoulder high.

And some tenants have always owed even before the economy became bad, so those set will never move landlords in these times, it is those who have always been consistent you will consider if the tides turn for them.

Especially on this Lagos. Many men and women prefer to be doing guy all around Lagos,meanwhile they are not planning for rent. Going to party,feeling among, buying aso ebi etc is more important to them.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Dnet21: 9:00pm On Mar 25
People get problem for blood
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Sonnobax15(m): 9:00pm On Mar 25
PointZerom:

I am a landlord too, it is wrong to disturb a tenant for one year rent under this economy. Only in Nigeria will you see tenants paying up front. At least 6 months rent is ok for now.
. You are a good man.

1 Like

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by COMPAQ(m): 9:03pm On Mar 25
chopnaira:
Only if we had a credit check system. Landlords would be able to properly screen their tenants.

Not sure that would be helpful in these harsh times. Nigeria of the last 12months has been unusually ,unexpectedly hard.

Many folks in my estate defaulting on power bills now didn't do so before 2023/2024. And some of them have been there for 3 to 4 years.

When food, petrol etc have almost tripled in 12months, where is the leftover for these things.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by pocohantas(f): 9:05pm On Mar 25
He, therefore, served the residents notice of tariff increase from N195.00/kilowatt to N250.00/kilowatt, citing a market survey showing a few estates that supply 24-hour power where tariff is now N350.00/kilowatt, which is about 79 percent increase from N195.00 per kilowatt.

I am not moved by these estates claiming 24hrs power supply. Most times they would almost kill you with cost. You will have light, but to put on AC go hard you. It is better to just find a normal secure area as a young person and build you life. Don't fall for any estate and 24hrs power scam. Imagine N350 per kilowatt.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by LeopardX: 9:06pm On Mar 25
Scentedgrance:
My tenants are wonderful people.i m blessed to have them.
I put them in my prayers everyday.
Sha don't increase your rent arbitrarily.
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Zxcvbnmghtr: 9:07pm On Mar 25
PointZerom:

I am a landlord too, it is wrong to disturb a tenant for one year rent under this economy. Only in Nigeria will you see tenants paying up front. At least 6 months rent is ok for now.

I don't know any other country except Nigeria which tenants pay yearly rents. It's mostly on a monthly basis almost every where else around the world.

Tenants are mostly never willing to pay house rents. When you divide the amount to be paid in rent by the numbers of days in a year that's when you will be so surprise what the landlord is charging per day is no big deal at all.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Kingrshd3: 9:07pm On Mar 25
Aboks:
Emilokan should help the masses open border

So d dollar can rise to 2000 per dollar and blame same Tinubu Abi 🤔

1 Like

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by BalogunIdowu(m): 9:09pm On Mar 25
[quote author=Arobaga post=129101542] Let them clash with cutlass and guns so that population of Nigeria will reduce

Imagine a scenario where landlord voted Peter Obi tenant voted Tinubu after series of landlords warning that Tinubu is a disaster

And tenant now comes back to tell landlord that is he not seeing how the economy is that he should be patient things are hard

[/quote

Why must everything be tied to obi/Tinubu...or whom anyone voted for... even people who voted for Tinubu knows things aren't going as expected so stop just Buhari.

So stop choking Obi upandan like he's the coming Messiah!!!
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by udemzyudex(m): 9:09pm On Mar 25
helinues:

The good news that have been circulating for some times, how are you and your likes have been reacting?

Eish

Which good news?

2 Likes

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by BalogunIdowu(m): 9:10pm On Mar 25
Arobaga:

Imagine a scenario where landlord voted Peter Obi tenant voted Tinubu after series of landlords warning that Tinubu is a disaster

Why must everything be tied to obi/Tinubu...or whom anyone voted for... even people who voted for Tinubu knows things aren't going as expected so stop just Buhari.

So stop choking Obi upandan like he's the coming Messiah!!!

1 Like

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Ykc2(m): 9:14pm On Mar 25
All this because tinubu want to be president he collabo with buhari look at us today ,2014 I rented 2 bedroom apartment at abule ado at rate of 300k ,then 1kg of turkey 800naira,It will never be well with apc and its supporters cry cry

1 Like

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by LARRYOBRAIN(m): 9:17pm On Mar 25
Sweet comment from a scammer 😁
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by OgbeniOja1: 9:18pm On Mar 25
Normally. My tenants go collect year ending. Na Tinubu cause am

1 Like

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by MemoriesAndMe: 9:19pm On Mar 25
PointZerom:
Any landlord expecting 100% payment will tell Nigerians if he paid for all the building materials used on that house up front.

Have you forgotten that some landlords take out loans to build their houses? If all tenants refuse to pay, how are landlords supposed to pay their loans back? Why should they rent their homes out in the first place if the tenant will end up not paying them after their first year of rent?

I have a tenant that's like that, he simply refused to pay after his first year of rent, saying the landlord is abroad and is ok. My very first tenant for that matter.

Part of what I spent to build the house are from loans I took from banks and I'm still paying the loans back, but suddenly, he doesn't want to pay his rents, lied about his employment status before renting the flat and even calls me for financial support from time to time. Should a tenant be begging for money from his landlord? He has since taken more than N300k from me, that's about a quarter of the initial rent he paid and refused to pay a dime back.

He bypassed his electricity meter and doesnt want to pay for anything at all, including thrash and now rent. Water is already free for everyone in the house, so basically he pays for absolutely nothing. That's not fair to any landlord.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by JooEeL(m): 9:24pm On Mar 25
E fe lu ra nyin ku grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Konquest: 9:28pm On Mar 25
Islie:

Though the friction between landlords and tenants is more pronounced in low-income settlements where most tenants are struggling with meagre income, the middle and high-income areas also have their own version of the friction, usually arising more from default in paying service charge than rent.

Serviced estates have also been hit-hard by rising costs, especially energy, which has seen managers of these estates mark-up power tariff and also reduce hours of power supply down to 12-14 hours.

The price of diesel has jumped to N1,300 per litre due to oil subsidy removal which has affected prices of consumer products coupled with the naira devaluation and the high inflationary trend.

Managers at serviced estates are, expectedly, pushing the increase in the diesel price to the residents who are also battling rising food prices, children’s school fees, increased transport costs and other service charges.

An anonymous estate manager, told the residents that it was getting pretty difficult providing power to the estate because proceeds generated from the purchase of electric token could not cover the cost of their monthly power expenses.

He, therefore, served the residents notice of tariff increase from N195.00/kilowatt to N250.00/kilowatt, citing a market survey showing a few estates that supply 24-hour power where tariff is now N350.00/kilowatt, which is about 79 percent increase from N195.00 per kilowatt.

Group CEO, Global Properties and Facilities International (PFI), MKO Balogun confirmed to LEADERSHIP that , “yes, power cost has gone up as well as other costs, including employees, materials and consumables. All these are impacted by the current inflationary trends as well as changes in the cost of living.”

President, Nigerian Facility Managers Association, Olalekan Akinwunmi also affirmed that the situation was challenging, such that, every fabric of services has really gone up, saying, ‘the diesel cost and general mains supply are not encouraging service apartments and the occupants are not happy with their managers.’

In all these circumstances, mediation and conflict resolution experts advise that landlords and tenants should conduct themselves maturely by not going to court to settle a dispute or disagreement over house rent or poor attitude of one towards the other as has been the case over the years.

They said parties to such disagreement or dispute should settle it within themselves, noting that, some landlords normally take their tenants to court to recover their property and/or outstanding rent while some tenants visit the court to seek protection from unjust treatment from landlords.

“As much as practicable, landlords should not take their tenants to court and vice versa; there are more viable options for settling any dispute or disagreement between these parties. Landlords and tenants should always see their relationship as those of husbands and wives and therefore, should not take one another to court,” a property lawyer, who pleaded anonymity, advised.

Similarly, Chairman, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), Nigeria, Gbenga Ismail, said the rent default has been high, noting that; “What we have experienced is restructuring, paying in instalments or monthly. We have also experienced rent reduction from existing levels in both commercial and residential sectors.

“Right now, the landlord can’t even be picky. Priority is to rent out at a lower rent so that quality tenants could be attracted. You will be surprised that those that have the ability to pay are not always those that you may want to rent your properties. But with the economy, one cannot really afford to be over bureaucratic.

https://leadership.ng/hardship-rent-defaults-soar-as-landlords-tenants-clash/
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Rumundele(m): 9:32pm On Mar 25
Its everywhere my landlord did same. But soon i will be ony own by Gods grace.
I did not envy anyone i want to be in their shoes, so i need to work hard to complete my own.
Its not easy Almighty God said i will bless with the work of your hands so their house is the workshop.
As for me i channelled anger to building my own. So when its time to renew i don't wait till the next month.
Soon by Gods grace i will soon be on my way

2 Likes

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by MasterTeeUSA: 9:35pm On Mar 25
what a statement...a typical tenant with tenant mentality. Why not go and build your own house or move to a cheaper alternative? Your village is there too. Isn't the landlord paying his own bills...this is why fewer and fewer people are building and rent will continue to increase...you can delay but it will catch up to your children who with this mentality might remain tenants too.

PointZerom:
Any landlord expecting 100% payment will tell Nigerians if he paid for all the building materials used on that house up front.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by OdaNobunaga(m): 9:38pm On Mar 25
Arobaga:

cheesy cheesy
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by PointZerom: 9:39pm On Mar 25
MasterTeeUSA:
what a statement...a typical tenant with tenant mentality. Why not go and build your own house or move to a cheaper alternative? Your village is there too. Isn't the landlord paying his own bills...this is why fewer and fewer people are building and rent will continue to increase...you can delay but it will catch up to your children who with this mentality might remain tenants too.

I am a landlord in Oseni street Okota. I have told my tenants to be paying small small into my account or 6 months.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lagos State Fire Fighters Arrived Few Minutes To The Ilasa Fire Scene / Architectural Design And Build Projects / BREAKING: Lagos Government Begins Demolition Of Marked Buildings After School Co

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.