Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,677 members, 7,935,019 topics. Date: Thursday, 29 August 2024 at 06:22 PM

Teachers, Students Applaud Literary Icon’s Rejection Of National Honour - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Teachers, Students Applaud Literary Icon’s Rejection Of National Honour (1107 Views)

Buhari Conferred With Equatorial Guinea's Highest National Honour / N5000 To Unemployed: Murray-Bruce Sad Over APC's Rejection Of Motion / Femi Gbajabiamila Rejects National Honour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Teachers, Students Applaud Literary Icon’s Rejection Of National Honour by nwaigbomg(m): 1:28am On Nov 16, 2011
Teachers, students applaud literary icon’s rejection of national honour
Thumbs-up for Achebe
By MOTUNRAYO SANNI
Wednesday, November 16 , 2011

Achiebe
More Stories on This Section

Abuja wore a colourful attire on Monday. Top Nigerians converged at the Transcorp Hilton Hotel at the nation’s capital, as President Goodluck Jonathan conferred national honours on 335 distinguished Nigerians.

Conspicuously missing in the crowd, however, was Africa’s foremost storyteller and one of the world’s most celebrated novelists, Professor Chinua Achebe. For the second time in seven years, Achebe rejected his Commander of the Order of the Federal Republic (CFR).

In 2004, then President Obasanjo had included the globally renowned literary icon. But Achebe turned down the honour, citing the government’s alleged involvement in the political crisis in his native Anambra State.

Said he at the time: “I write this letter with a very heavy heart. For some time now, I have watched events in Nigeria with alarm and dismay. I have watched particularly the chaos in my own state of Anambra where a small clique of renegades, openly boasting its connections in high places, seems determined to turn my homeland into a bankrupt and lawless fiefdom. I am appalled by the brazenness of this clique and the silence, if not connivance, of the Presidency.

“Nigeria’s condition today under your watch is, however, too dangerous for silence. I must register my disappointment and protest by declining to accept the high honour awarded me in the 2004 Honours List.”
And while rejecting this year’s honour, Achebe said “the reasons for rejecting the offer when it was first made have not been addressed let alone solved. It is inappropriate to offer it again to me. I must therefore regretfully decline the offer again.”
Was he right or wrong in rejecting the honour? This reporter met some teachers, students and a businesswoman who believe Achebe treaded the right path by rejecting the honour. They gave their reasons.

Akpan Monday – Educationist
Chinua Achebe has contributed immensely to this country. Talk of the educational sector, his literary works, and so on. But when you look at the situation of this country, things are not going on well. The administration is poor. I believe before one accepts the award, he has to put into consideration the economy of the country, the interest of the people. So I think he is doing the right thing. The government should tackle the issue of security and create job opportunities.

Ifeoma Akpuru – Student, National Open University
Actually, I don’t know his reasons. Maybe he wants the best for the country, as things are not put in their right places. I don’t know his mind. The work of the government is to save the citizens, make them happy and get everything done right. The National award is not the next step that should have been taken by the government. They should rather come together and think of ways and how the country would be better. We should be able to lay down steps for the upcoming generation.

Mr. ipadeola – Vice Principal, Timi Comprehensive College, Itire, Mushin
Chinua Achebe is doing a good thing. He is trying to send a signal or pass a message across to the government that Nigerians are not interested in their conscience being bribed, or eating out of the national cake at the expense of the masses. The government should make moves that will bring change into the country. The government should look into issues that will positively affect the lives of the people. Things like creation of job opportunities, provision of good roads, potable water, good education for the poor man’s child, and make life comfortable for them. They should rather take a look back and see how far the country has grown. The most important duty of the government is to see to the welfare of the citizens.

Government should provide food for the masses and look into the agricultural sector. Our roads have become death traps. The award should not be restricted to the rich. It should be based on the good work of the common man. The way I see it, the award is limited to a certain caucus; probably their party members.

Ogechi Ebule, student, University of Lagos (UNILAG)
I have mixed feelings concerning Achebe’s rejection. I think I understand why he turned the honour down. Nigeria is not how he expects her to be. Things are not in order. There is money laundering, terrorism, hunger and strike in the country. But then, since it is Nigeria that is honouring him, he should have accepted it.

I would accept the award if I were in his position. We have so many people who have actually done well. They might not be popular but they have made a difference. Those are the people we should honour.
But all we hear in Nigeria now is Boko Haram, ethnic problems, unemployment, low level of education, etc. A lot of things are not right.

Mrs. Fadipe, teacher
I wouldn’t say he is doing the right thing or wrong thing because he would have his personal reasons. According to him, that the country is not at its expected height is true. The situation of the country is not palatable. There are several poor people who have done very well but are not rewarded. Citizens are afflicted with several diseases, the electrical sector is not doing well, the PHCN does not give us light, unlike other countries where there is no power failure.
People and companies now rely on generators, which cause diseases. I’m not saying motivation is not good, but there are many things that ought to have been done. I don’t like to jump into conclusions but I heard that the government wants to rehabilitate the vice president’s house in Abuja with billions of naira. Should we say that is the next thing? We have several graduates that are jobless. You find B. Sc. holders riding okada just to make a living. The masses are crying despite the fact that we have many resources but they are being mismanaged. I think we should call on God for revival in this country.

Mr Tade Ajayi, teacher
I think the award has been sectionalised, and the ways of choosing those awards is aristocratic in nature. Sometime in 2005, a young guy came up with new innovations. He could make toys etc, and he was taken to the then Minister of Science and Technology. The only thing he said was that the boy could make only toys, discouraging and killing his dreams. Wole Soyinka also said he would not cut his hair until the last graduate has been employed. To me, I feel the government is using this award to seal the mouths of some people. The exchange rate is nothing to write home about. The US dollar is exchanged for N159. Government should know that Nigerians are following every step they are taking. Nigerians should wake up.

Samuel Ogundoro, SSS3 student
He is doing the right thing. The government should rather face the problems encountered by citizens. They should talk of infrastructural facilities, insecurity, Boko Haram and lack of health facilities and leave national honour which will not add value to us in anyway.

Balogun Deborah, SSS3 student
There are so many problems in the country, so I think declining the offer is a right thing. Though, the national honour is something we should be proud of but it is not what we need at this present time. Nigeria is a developing country and to measure up with other countries, several changes both from the government and citizens should be done.

Mrs. S. Toyin, businesswoman
Chinua Achebe is portraying himself as a very good citizen. He’s setting a good example. He is reliable, dependable and a man of good policy. He is actually laying down landmarks that the coming generations would see. And he’s also saying to the government that we can’t all be bought.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/nov/16/national-16-11-2011-0023.html
Re: Teachers, Students Applaud Literary Icon’s Rejection Of National Honour by Pukkah: 7:56am On Nov 16, 2011
Kudos to Achebe for refusing to be part of the charade. It's heart-warming to know that such men still exist as Nigerians.

(1) (Reply)

Is This The First Nigerian Elected As ICC Judge? / Abu Darda Arrested Not Abu Qaqa- The SSS Has Someone Else In Custody / MINIMUM WAGE CRISES OYO NLC DECLARES STRIKE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.