Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,248 members, 7,887,702 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 12:34 PM

Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? (9258 Views)

Picture Of Mum Breastfeeding Baby At A Wedding Breaks The Internet / Economical Wedding Budget List For Guys Who Dont Have Much. / 200,000naira Wedding Budget By Keppy... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by Bestluck: 6:55am On Nov 16, 2011
Hi, Nairaland members.

Please, whose responsibility is it to take the greater part of a wedding budget?

Should it be the Bride's family or the Groom's family?

This issue is already tearing an intending couple apart, therefore, we need your contributions and humble opinion.
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by Nobody: 7:00am On Nov 16, 2011
//

1 Like

Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by Nobody: 7:27am On Nov 16, 2011
It all depends on the culture. Some cultures brides family do to an extent, in some others the groom foots the bill
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by cindylee: 9:00am On Nov 16, 2011
It depends on the culture. In mine, for the traditional, its the bride's family and the white wedding is the couple's business. My parents will not spend a dime for the white wedding, so it then depends on the two of you. After the traditional wedding, you can go home with your wife. White wedding is not a must.
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by blank(f): 9:38am On Nov 16, 2011
Depends on their culture. Mine says the groom and not anyone's family. However, whatever you want to do is ur business. It should be a time of joy and people should do whatever they want to do.
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by samueloo(m): 9:54am On Nov 16, 2011
There is no one way trafic of doing it its just that there are lay down patterns but its not a do or die affair you can bend ,twist or even break the pattern to your own purse and taste secondly as culture varies so does all the patterns aswell, like in yoruba culture : the only expense that the bridegroom incurred during the engagement ceremony is only the list of items from the brides family (like dowry which is 1k in most cases and some other peti peti stuffs like yam, colanut etc) all other bills is for the brides family to foot as a matter of fact they are the ones hosting u guys.then the white wedding issue except they are renting a hall the brides family handle that also infact thechurch they attend and the reception must be from the bride but like i said this are just patterns it can always be agreed upon and cut down to a bearable sizes that fits into the couples budget.

other people should tell us about the way its done in their tribe so that the naira landers guys that are yet to be married can shine their eyes very well before choosing a lady. lol.
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by paris10: 10:11am On Nov 16, 2011
It all depends on the level of understanding between both parents/couples. Most times, the bride's family tend to shy away from simple responsibility of taking care of their daughter. Some are stingy and tight fisted and seem to forget that wedding is done once and for all.

Regardless of the position of the groom (rich or otherwise), the bride's family should thrive and support their daughter all the way. They shouldn't appear so cheap to the groom and his family. Doing this, the groom would respect and honour the bride and wouldn't have much to say about him footing the bill alone.

Traditionally, the bride's family is responsible for the traditional wedding (engagement) and the provision of food and drinks at the reception. Although the groom also contribute. Some Bride's family also do rent the reception hall and pay for decorations and cake. Mothers tends to do anything for their daughters these days, except perhaps, those mothers who do not love their children.

The groom is responsible for drinks, some pay for the reception venue and other miscellaneous like, renting cars, photography, Video, buying the bride's dress, rings etc. Some groom pay for everything (if they are in position to do so). If not, the bride's family should support if they could

Like I said, it all depends on the level of relationship btwn the bride/groom and their families. If the parents love them dearly and are in the position to help, they should not hold back or wait for the other party before carrying out their duty.
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by snthesis(m): 10:38am On Nov 16, 2011
samueloo:

There is no one way trafic of doing it its just that there are lay down patterns but its not a do or die affair you can bend ,twist or even break the pattern to your own purse and taste secondly as culture varies so does all the patterns aswell, like in yoruba culture : the only expense that the bridegroom incurred during the engagement ceremony is only the list of items from the brides family (like dowry which is 1k in most cases and some other peti peti stuffs like yam, colanut etc) all other bills is for the brides family to foot as a matter of fact they are the ones hosting u guys.then the white wedding issue except they are renting a hall the brides family handle that also infact thechurch they attend and the reception must be from the bride but like i said this are just patterns it can always be agreed upon and cut down to a bearable sizes that fits into the couples budget.

other people should tell us about the way its done in their tribe so that the naira landers guys that are yet to be married can shine their eyes very well before choosing a lady. lol.
yoruba is leading the pack- abeg all d yoruba NL single ladies should drop their CVs/vital statistics asap grin grin
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by qualified(f): 10:56am On Nov 16, 2011
the groom and his family
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by ochukoccna: 11:10am On Nov 16, 2011
qualified:

the groom and his family
This has to be one of my sisters from the East grin grin grin
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by Baawaa(m): 11:13am On Nov 16, 2011
It depends on who need who most,If it is d man dat need d woman,he wil be d one dat wil finance d wedding.If it is d woman dat need d man,she wil be d one to finance d wedding.And if they need themselves they wil share d budget equally

1 Like

Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by fenandopo: 12:11pm On Nov 16, 2011
i have read most comments here and they are either one extreme or the other. Consider this: what if the groom is short on cash and the bride;s folks are also low on cash? what kinda wedding should they have.
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Nov 16, 2011
Where I come from it's the groom, no shaking cool
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by Nobody: 12:26pm On Nov 16, 2011
fenando po:

i have read most comments here and they are either one extreme or the other. Consider this: what if the groom is short on cash and the bride;s folks are also low on cash? what kinda wedding should they have.

You haven't even answered the question. Someone asked a question and you are here talking about another issue that does not concern you
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by paris10: 12:28pm On Nov 16, 2011
ochukoccna:

This has to be one of my sisters from the East grin grin grin

Bang on point. I believe she's been expecting that bro to come and pay her off grin. Pls sister, erase that mentality, and instead work together with your future guy to make stuff happen.
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by baslone: 12:30pm On Nov 16, 2011
jennykadry:

Where I come from it's the groom, no shaking cool

grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by dinah777: 12:34pm On Nov 16, 2011
Asit has been generally said,culture aside,both parties/families should look at the situation annd come to a conclusion that will ensure they have a joyous occassion and most importantly a happy marriage,There is no hard and fast truth to it,If the groom's family can let them do it,If the brides family can let them do it,if both families cant,The couple should put their resources together and have a moderate wedding that will not put a huge strain on their finances or worse still leave them koboless/in debts after the occassion.Goodluck to them.
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by kpolli(m): 12:37pm On Nov 16, 2011
If na igbo girl u dey marry, na groom dey pay. . . if na yoruba girl, na half half. . . if na hausa, na mopol or soulja dey pay. . . . #OkBye
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by r231(m): 2:05pm On Nov 16, 2011
it depends. . . . . what matters is understanding

do a budget that both of you can handle
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by renewnaija(m): 3:49pm On Nov 16, 2011
Baawaa:

It depends on who need who most,If it is d man dat need d woman,he wil be d one dat wil finance d wedding.If it is d woman dat need d man,she wil be d one to finance d wedding.And if they need themselves they wil share d budget equally
grin grin grin

@ poster. In this age, it doesnt depend on culture but on who is financially buoyant-bride or groom.

And course, cut your coat according to your size cos u have 2 strap on wella & enjoy the bumpy ride!
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by ronkebp(f): 5:26pm On Nov 16, 2011
If the man has the money, no need to ask who is doing what?!!!!!!!! let him buy the items that is needed, and contribute what he has for the wedding, that is not to say he should be dropping 50,000 naira for a 1 million naira wedding oooo. He should come out and say what he has in his pocket, the bride should table hers too, so they would be able to cut their coat according to their cloth. Or better still, bride's handle traditional wedding, groom's family handle everything that has to do with reception. simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lo baa tan!
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by adanny01(m): 8:46pm On Nov 16, 2011
Where i come from (Kaduna south) the main responsibility lies with the groom and his family but also tends towards the family or person who is richer.
Its more like the person with the highest guest should take most responsibility. Thats where the bride's parents may come in i.e if they are more wealthy. the bride's family wil not directly organize but sponsor through thier daughter or son in law.
There's also a popular 'send off or send forth prayer and reception' which is the role responsibility of the bride's parents which the grooms family may not even show up. It is well known that a well to do groom or grooms family could sponsor this but not directly.
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by Fhemmmy: 9:22pm On Nov 16, 2011
Whoever could afford more
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 2:10am On Nov 17, 2011
Naturally the man is always expected to take the larger part but if the woman can, then she can help
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by Konnektions146(m): 9:51am On Nov 17, 2011
its a matter of the individuals involved understanding themselves and doin the stuff, what abt wen the guy kinda handicapped financiallly, the lady does the most , there is no laid down way of doin this.

qualified:

the groom and his family
its a pity people still think like this, that is y ladies is some part of the country stays in thier father`s house till 50years waiting to be bought. grow up and face realities of life,
where love and mutual understanding exists, yu wont even know where the money used during the marriage ceremony preps are coming from whether the groom or bride.

@OP,
let the couple understand themselves and sort things out, bt come to think of it, if this is tearing them apart at this early stage, how will they cope with a more challenging marital issues? , just asking!
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Nov 17, 2011
Where i come from, everything falls on the groom. The only support from the bride's family is the money or property they use to settle their daughter. So the groom should cut his cloth according to his cloth. however, if the brides family has important dignitaries, then they must contribute or face disgrace if the groom could not meet up to the expectation
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Nov 17, 2011
//
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by http(m): 3:24pm On Nov 17, 2011
I did 90% of its. Its depends on the financial gbos btw the bride and groom, understanding lo matter, grin
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by lahips: 4:17pm On Nov 17, 2011
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by cynthiafred67(f): 10:28pm On Nov 17, 2011
From where I come from the grooms family takes care of it all
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by vizion: 11:26pm On Nov 17, 2011
lahips:

I decided to reply to this topics cause my friend and my cousin are about getting married in a week time, and its been issues all the way, arguments on things as little as wedding decorator, my cousin is the groom and because they have more of the cash the sisters have decided to take some major decisions about the wedding, they keep saying, if she doesnt want it then let her bring money for the one she wants, and they know she wont be able to afford it. the good thing is my friend isnt ready to tolerate that even in her low cash status, she still stands her ground for most things, atimes i just seat and look cause am caught in the middle. well am happy they are behaving well of recent.

in reply to your question i think the two parties can weigh their pockets, i have seen weddings that the bride contribute up to 20%, though i have not seen the reverse yet, but who should spend the more should not be a debate

lastly i would advise that for ladies who intend to marry, try and save a little and contribute to your wedding, the future starts from then so you dont get undue tongue lashing someting in the future. whether or not we like it if you cant treat yourself like a Queen no one will treat you.

the most important thing in a wedding ceremony is the blessing of the officiating minister which joins the man and woman as husband and wife. other things are secondary.

the lady here should be satisfied with want she can afford and avoid insults from her sisters
Re: Who Should Take The Greater Share Of A Wedding Budget? by atreal: 10:29am On Nov 18, 2011
slam on point. I believe she's been expecting that bro to come and pay her off . Pls sister, erase that mentality, and instead work together with your future guy to make stuff happen

Yes you are right every women should be able to work things out with our men to make things happen,we both must work hard to have the best for ourselves,for me i can never leave my guy and his family all alone to face all the bills of the wedding no matter how boyant he is we both must do it together,infact i believe its my day we are celebrating and i must make sure everything go the way it should because its once in my lifetime.

In yoruba the family of the bride should take everything about the traditional stuff excluding the brideprice and other stuffs which the grooms family must take care of,infact both family needs to do it together and it depends on how happy and how glamourous the both families want the wedding to be and everything depends on their pockets.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do Mothers-In-law Have A Say In Wedding Preparation? / Why Do People Deactivate And Return? / Lecturer Wants To Sleep With My Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.