Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,335 members, 7,881,242 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 03:00 PM

Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria (5925 Views)

President Buhari To Drop Lai Mohammad As Information Minister - TheImpulseNG / I Use 5, Not 6 Vehicles In My Convoy – Information Minister / Dokpesi: Money I Received Was For Publicity And Media In Political Campaigns (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by Horus(m): 11:32pm On Nov 16, 2011
[size=15pt]Minister decries increase in social media[/size]

November 16, 2011

Labaran Maku, the Minister of Information, has expressed concern over the increase in the number of social media in the country.

Mr. Maku made the observation on Tuesday in Benin City during the meeting of members of the Nigeria Union of Journalist (NUJ) Constitutional Review Committee.

Represented by Kingsley Osadolor, a legal practitioner, Mr. Maku said the rise of social media in the country was a phenomenon that needed to be addressed as part of the constitutional amendment or in the nearest future.

He said the revolution that was taking place in Egypt, Syria, Libya and other Arab states was as a result of the reports dished out by the social media.

Mr. Maku warned that the increase in the number social media might result in some traditional journalists losing their jobs.

``What business should the social media have with the NUJ? That is an important phenomenon that needs to be considered,'' he said.

The minister noted that the constitutional review was coming at time when the Freedom of Information Act was operational.

He said the FOI Act was not a substitute for ``crucial investigative journalism'', adding that its aim was to aid the journalist to get access to information.

Mr. Maku noted that there were procedures and rules guiding the use of the FOI Act, and urged media practitioners to be acquainted with them in order not to get negative responses.

``It is useful and pertinent to know the sources of information that are available to the journalists so that they can tap into those areas,'' he said.

`` The FOI Act is not a substitute for investigative journalism; it must not reduce us into lazy journalists because there are several journalists waiting for information to do their stories,'' he said.

In his address, Emeka Wogu, the Minister of Labour and Productivity, expressed appreciation to the Nigerian Press for its role in promoting peace and highlighting government policies.

Wogu, who was represented by Tommy Okon, his Special Assistant on Media, said the constitution of any organisation, group and association, ``is an indication of how healthy the body is in terms of its operations''.

He said that as the watchdog of the society, it was expected that the NUJ constitutional amendment would address the salient issues affecting journalists and the profession.

``I want to use this medium to thank the media for their positive role in promoting industrial peace and harmony in the country,'' Mr. Wogu said.

Source: http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5747881-146/minister_decries_increase_in_social_media.csp
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by Gekko(m): 11:50pm On Nov 16, 2011
these clowns never cease to amaze, thought his boss invented facebook undecided
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:01am On Nov 17, 2011
What the ffuck can this silly minister do about that? Mtsshheww!
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by BootyOnMe: 3:29am On Nov 17, 2011
Only in Africa!
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by ektbear: 3:45am On Nov 17, 2011
lol
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by Pukkah: 6:43am On Nov 17, 2011
If the mind of a so-called leader works like this you can imagine the rest.
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by 9ijaMan: 6:46am On Nov 17, 2011
Now they are shitting in their pants, !
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by 9ijaMan: 6:49am On Nov 17, 2011
Beaf (and other psudo names attached to Beaf) and all other GEJ cronies abeg make una go inform GEJ that the 9ja version of revolution is knocking at Aso Rock's doors o!
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by CyberG: 6:56am On Nov 17, 2011
LOL. . .I guess Naija deserves foolissh ministers like Goatbrain Fishluck. . .LMAO! All they need is to allow very little internet penetration in Nigeria and less social media activity! It's an irony because my own internet company has been chasing me with 50 MBps for my computing needs at home until I have now decided to upgrade the measly < 10 MBps. You see life now? At work? It's been 100 MBps on my monster desktop, then add smartphone internet which is fast enough to even stream video to PC. Naija suffers because most people love suffering and vote only the dullest people based on his tribe, religion and useless gimmicks while letting "God" running the country! Meanwhile the economy nosedives harder while they and their family smile to the bank! Well, Naija na so una want am o!
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by 9ijaMan: 7:01am On Nov 17, 2011
I suppose Seun Osewa's Nairaland will be banned soon if this foolish minister's comments are anything to go by. NL may escape sha, afterall Seun too was a staunch supporter of GEJ. By the way where is he these days, ?
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by Akanbiedu(m): 8:01am On Nov 17, 2011
[size=15pt]FEAR DON DEY CATCH THEM[/size]
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by otokx(m): 9:55am On Nov 17, 2011
Is it a must to say something?
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by vladimiros: 9:57am On Nov 17, 2011
I don't know what dumber

the fact that Nigerians don't want to encourage each other to create tech startups

or the fact that the nigerian government is aware of the tech growth but won't encourage VC firms
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by Kx: 9:59am On Nov 17, 2011
When her boss, GEJ doles out his economic policies on a daily basis in Facebook, who did she think are his audience?
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:01am On Nov 17, 2011
This is the WORST (and there have really been some bad ones) information minister in the history of Nigeria. EVER.

He has no clue. He has even left Dora's re-branding intact lacking any original ideas of his own.
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 10:10am On Nov 17, 2011
jerseyboy:

This is the WORST (and there have really been some bad ones) information minister in the history of Nigeria. EVER.

He has no clue. He has even left Dora's re-branding intact lacking any original ideas of his own.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy Harsh.
But really, these Nigerian leaders dey fall hand, almost on autopilot these days.
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by dplordx(m): 10:12am On Nov 17, 2011
Didnt he say: I want to thank Mr. President for bringing Facebook to Nigeria.
Why is social media now a threat? If the f00l and his unqualified team are performing fine, why will they be threatened?
I dont know why GEJ is comfortable been surrounded by Mumus and certified cretins.
We need to get GEJ's brain checked, im not sure this man is normal, including his cohorts starting from the animal called Beaf that barks all day long here.
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by chopper(m): 10:13am On Nov 17, 2011
WHAT A STATEMENT FOR A DISHONOURABLE MINISTER. Its a shame that we have xters like this in Goverment!!!
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by Okijajuju1(m): 10:19am On Nov 17, 2011
Chai!! grin

This will be the downfall of democracy as we know it! Make them attempt am first!
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by llbhuds: 10:20am On Nov 17, 2011
no be small thing ooo
but what i feel and know is that a revolution can not happen in our beloved country because of a single factor  , SENTIMENT
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by begwong: 10:28am On Nov 17, 2011
"23 years ago,in 1988, the SUG president in UNIJOS led a team of students in a protest against the removal of oil subsidy during the regime of the dictator, Ibrahim Babaginda. He termed "A crime against the Nigerian masses and a war against the poor. That SUG president is Mr Labaran Maku, the present minister for information. His new tune is that the removal is long over due."
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by donguutti: 10:34am On Nov 17, 2011
i smell fear in high places, maybe they have been going through some NL post and
have realized that revolution is very possible , labaran dont worry when it does
happen u would be the last to know.Very soon these dumb dudes would start thinking
abt regulating social media.
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by Skii(m): 10:45am On Nov 17, 2011
begwong:

"23 years ago,in 1988, the SUG president in UNIJOS led a team of students in a protest against the removal of oil subsidy during the regime of the dictator, Ibrahim Babaginda. He termed "A crime against the Nigerian masses and a war against the poor. That SUG president is Mr Labaran Maku, the present minister for information. His new tune is that the removal is long over due."

shocked shocked shocked shocked

Something must have happened to him along the line.
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by 9ijaMan: 11:00am On Nov 17, 2011
^^^He got caught up by the same disease that Abati is now suffering from.
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by emmatok(m): 11:03am On Nov 17, 2011
Mr. Maku warned that the increase in the number social media might result in some traditional journalists losing their jobs.

``What business should the social media have with the NUJ? That is an important phenomenon that needs to be considered,'' he said.Labaran Maku

Added to The Dumbest/not So Smart Statements Of Our Leaders
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by Horus(m): 11:15am On Nov 17, 2011
Mr. Maku said the rise of social media in the country was a phenomenon that needed to be addressed as part of the constitutional amendment or in the nearest future.

What does he fear?. Is it a fear that social media can be used to talk about how to fight corruption in Nigeria?
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by UyiIredia(m): 11:17am On Nov 17, 2011
Mr Minister you have said nothing pertinent.
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by DrKnow1(m): 11:19am On Nov 17, 2011
Who made this rat brain minister of information? Doesn't he know that most traditional press in Nigeria are owned and controlled by the same peopple who are bleeding the system dry. Social media are the only avenues left where you can get some elements of truth and express yourself freely. Moreover, social media are global in nature. Tell me, will he shut down the likes of facebook and twitter in Nigeria. This isthe type of people we have a sministers; shame! What is wrong about the revolutions going on in the arab states. Don't worry, your turn will soon come even if you close down all internet services in Nigeria.
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by abubaka(m): 11:28am On Nov 17, 2011
the same idiot,was the same person that came out public sayin "we want to thank mr president for bringing facebook into Nigeria", Just imagine the lame clueless duck talkin abt bringing facebook as if its a new telecom company brought into d country.

They re just scared,
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by ugosly(m): 11:53am On Nov 17, 2011
donguutti:

i smell fear in high places, maybe they have been going through some NL post and
have realized that revolution is very possible , labaran dont worry when it does
happen u would be the last to know.Very soon these dumb dudes would start thinking
abt regulating social media.
Exactly! U need to see the hate statements and response on GEJ,s FB,s page.
Their days are numberd.
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by kokoA(m): 12:01pm On Nov 17, 2011
abubaka:

the same ,was the same person that came out public sayin "we want to thank mr president for bringing facebook into Nigeria"

shocked shocked shocked Blood of god! shocked shocked He really said this? shocked
Re: Information Minister Decries Increase In Social Media In Nigeria by doctokwus: 12:06pm On Nov 17, 2011
He doesn't realise info management has gone beyond NTA airing every rubbish that comes out of his mouth everyday

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should Nigerian Governors' Forum Be Banned Or Disbanded? / Already Made Business Plan For The Production Of Polythene Shopping Bags (nylon) / $1.1bn Malabu Scandal: Italian Prosecutors Request Trial Of Etete, Shell, Eni, O

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.