Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,938 members, 7,873,019 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 06:48 AM

Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother (6027 Views)

Fela Kuti's Family Reacts As APC Uses Fela's Songs For Their Campaign / 2023 : Betty Anyanwu-Akeredolu Joins Race For Imo East Senatorial Seat / Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by Nonexisting1: 7:18am On Apr 07
She should simply say her late husband's brother has done "nkuchi" on her rather than speaking long grammar. As far as I'm concerned, they do "nkuchi" on a widow to limit her pussy to one man and stop her from sharing it around to every available dick. This is a simple explanation to what happened in her village. I hate long talk.

Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by Objectivist04: 7:30am On Apr 07
michlins:
you were born and raised in a place outside of your village
Oga that is lmo culture not Igbo culture, in my place she will still be indoors and on the few occasions she will come out, she will be dressed in all white or black to signify that she is mourning.
For God's sake her husband was buried just over a month ago and she has already traveled to her home town with her husband's brother so that her people could hand her over to him. That is not an lgbo tradition and it sounds absurd to most of us.
She is an old woman with grownup children for God's sake.
In lgbo land when a woman is widowed , her adult children will take care of her not her husband's sibling, .
What they did there is their tradition not Igbo tradition.
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by michlins(m): 7:37am On Apr 07
Objectivist04:

Oga that is lmo culture not Igbo culture, in my place she will still be indoors and on the few occasions she will come out, she will be dressed in all white or black to signify that she is mourning.
For God's sake her husband was buried just over a month ago and she has already traveled to her home town with her husband's brother so that her people could hand her over to him. That is not an lgbo tradition and it sounds absurd to most of us.
In lgbo land when a woman is widowed , her adult children will take care of her not her husband's sibling, .
in my place, the man doesn't marry his own wife(if his father is alive). His father goes to the family of the wife and the family of the wife hands over their daughter to him to marry and take care of. There's no sexual relationship between them though.
Traditions differ from place to place so don't use your own to overlay to others
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by kenny160: 7:40am On Apr 07
oyatz:

You may not understand the culture of her hometown than her.

What you just describe as 'nkuchi' is also practice in Yoruba culture, the only difference is that it is the husband's family headed by the Family's Patriach that hand-over the widow to her late Husband's brother, cousin or any close relative to 'so lo po' meaning to re-marry her, raised children in the name of her deceased husband or take care of the widow and her young kids. Other family members are also expected to assist the woman by occasional gifts of farm produce and some may offer to take one of the kids to live with them. The Practice is however fading now due to westernization/ Pentecostal christianity.
thanks for the clarification at the end of your comment coz I want to say, you didn't mentioned it that it is no more in existence but you later mentioned it before those omo ale will start abusing the yoruba culture.
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by Britishpea: 8:17am On Apr 07
Objectivist04:

Oga what am trying to say is that whatever she is trying to do is not a general Igbo ritual. It might be how they do it in her community but not igbo as a whole. For me it is a strange ritual. The only thing that will make a widow's family hand her over to her husband's brother is if the brother wants to marry her which we call "nkuchi" in Igbo language, though such is rare now and Betty is way too old for such as she already has adult children.
Nkuchi is mostly done when the widow is young, with tittle children or no child at all.

She never said the truth what she went to her village to do

You can cry for Africa. Who cares about your Igbo culture. And did she say it was an Igbo tradition in her statement. Don’t understand why you are crying
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by AmotekunSW: 8:41am On Apr 07
Objectivist04:

Oga that is lmo culture not Igbo culture, in my place.

And Imo is what tribe? Hausa abi?
Old man arguing senselessly.
Just keep making a complete fool of yourself, hiding behind one finger.

Nkuchi nwanyi is an integral part of Igbo culture practiced before even your ancestors were born, you see here talking nonsense.
How will you even know about it when most of you didn't grow up in Alaigbo.
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by Tochj(m): 8:44am On Apr 07
AmotekunSW:

The fact that you don't know something does not mean that it doesn't exist. It only means you are ignorant of what is outside your sphere of knowledge.
Yeah!!! That tradition maybe peculiar to her village or town.
Infact in igbo tradition
She is supposed to be mourning
Not handing her over to another brother
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by Timatayo1: 8:59am On Apr 07
Shameless woman see the family compound
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by oyatz(m): 9:39am On Apr 07
kenny160:
thanks for the clarification at the end of your comment coz I want to say, you didn't mentioned it that it is no more in existence but you later mentioned it before those omo ale will start abusing the yoruba culture.

Hmn, Yoruba, Igbo, Edo, Ancient Israelites and many Tribes in different parts of the world parctice this LEVIRATE MARRIAGE, including the English Royal Families until recently (King Henry VIII married Catherine of Aragon, the widow of his late elder brother, Prince Authur and King George V married Princess Victoria Mary of Teck, who was betrothed to his elder brother, Prince Albert who died unexpectedly).

In 2020, a 40-year old man died in a rural community in Osun State just after moving into his newly completed expansive house along with his wife, children, mother and some of his extended family. The wife was 33years and by 2022, she was been advised to re-marry and she sought advice from some more matured couples in the town because the late-husband family said if she wants to re-marry, then she will have to leave the house. She said, if she re-marry , then she would have to leave the house because it is culturally unacceptable to bring a new husband to the house and she is not willing to leave the house. One of the elders she consulted asked why not re-marry one of the late husband's younger brothers that is nice to her? He said it is a win-win for both sides.

Around 2001, i witnessed a hot argument among some semi-educated women in Ogbomosho in which one of the women was trying to shame her former friend and made references to her sexual relationship with one Mukaila. The woman defended her actions, that even if it is true that she slept with the said Mukaila (which i suspected was true) , there is nothing bad in it. she said Mukaila is her late husband step-brother and it was her Late husband that trained him in 'Poly' and that if they like, they both can marry each other because it is better for her than fucking around.
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by AmotekunSW: 10:46am On Apr 07
Tochj:

Yeah!!! That tradition maybe peculiar to her village or town.
Infact in igbo tradition
She is supposed to be mourning
Not handing her over to another brother

And her village or town is not in Igboland?
You are just deceiving yourselves.

Igbos inherit property but you are telling me that they don't inherit wives.

Dey play.
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by oz4real83(m): 11:44am On Apr 07
U have not heard doesn't mean it is fake story
Objectivist04:
Such ritual is only performed in her village not Igbo land,. I never heard that a woman will go to her father's land for any ritual after the death of her husband and I am an Igbo and an adult as well, so she shouldn't make it seem to be a general practice. Again I haven't heard about a widow's family handing her over to her husband's sibling, honestly this sounds strange to me.

If she is to be from my place, she would still be in mourning period

1 Like

Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by ASAPFERG: 12:22pm On Apr 07
How a handsome man like akeredolu ended up with this deity looking yammleg lady still amazes me.
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by Objectivist04: 4:08pm On Apr 07
Britishpea:

You can cry for Africa. Who cares about your Igbo culture. And did she say it was an Igbo tradition in her statement. Don’t understand why you are crying
You are so stewpid that you couldn't even read the post to see where she said it is in accordance with Igbo culture. Udele
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by Objectivist04: 4:09pm On Apr 07
AmotekunSW:

And Imo is what tribe? Hausa abi?
Old man arguing senselessly.
Just keep making a complete fool of yourself, hiding behind one finger.

Nkuchi nwanyi is an integral part of Igbo culture practiced before even your ancestors were born, you see here talking nonsense.
How will you even know about it when most of you didn't grow up in Alaigbo.
You sound like an idiot
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by onumadu: 4:15pm On Apr 07
@Objectivist04

Your views here shows that Igbo culture is indeed endangered. Seriously endangered by loud and ignorant Igbo like you.
It is endangered by people like you who are boldly and loudly promoting wrong versions of Igbo culture.
And your numbers (people like you) are increasing daily, causing serious erosion of Igbo culture with your ignorant forceful information campaigns.
If you don't know, why not ask or be humble enough to learn from others who actually know?
When was the last time you visited your village (if you are really Igbo) and sat down with knowledgeable people in your clan or village and engaged them in serious conversations concerning these things?
Levirate Marriage is at the core of Igbo culture.
With the coming of the Europeans and their version of marriage, it started to be fought by the church and others, and has been on the decline ever since.
But that hasn't changed the fact that it is a culture as old as the Igbo.
What annoys me is that wickedness is increasing in our land because we ignore these OLD and proven cultural practices, and wonder why wickedness is increasing.
Any society that fails to HONESTLY address the issue of marriage and sex only gets more and more wicked and dysfunctional.
So, please I beg you, stop and ask questions.
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by AmotekunSW: 4:30pm On Apr 07
Objectivist04:

You sound like an idiot

All these wawa Enugu people sef. Una no know Igbo culture, just dey do gumbody with the superior Igbos.
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by Objectivist04: 4:40pm On Apr 07
onumadu:
@Objectivist04

Your views here shows that Igbo culture is indeed endangered. Seriously endangered by loud and ignorant Igbo like you.
It is endangered by people like you who are boldly and loudly promoting wrong versions of Igbo culture.
And your numbers (people like you) are increasing daily, causing serious erosion of Igbo culture with your ignorant forceful information campaigns.
If you don't know, why not ask or be humble enough to learn from others who actually know?
When was the last time you visited your village (if you are really Igbo) and sat down with knowledgeable people in your clan or village and engaged them in serious conversations concerning these things?
Levirate Marriage is at the core of Igbo culture.
With the coming of the Europeans and their version of marriage, it started to be fought by the church and others, and has been on the decline ever since.
But that hasn't changed the fact that it is a culture as old as the Igbo.
What annoys me is that wickedness is increasing in our land because we ignore these OLD and proven cultural practices, and wonder why wickedness is increasing.
Any society that fails to HONESTLY address the issue of marriage and sex only gets more and more wicked and dysfunctional.
So, please I beg you, stop and ask questions.
So Igbo culture stipulates that whenever a man dies his wife will go back to her father's house so that her people will hand her over to her husband's people grin grin grin

So if her husband's people refuse to accept her, she will remain in her father's house leaving her children and all their wealth , lol

So when was Bianca handed over to Ojukwu"s younger brother whom she is now dragging property with, shebi Betty Aleredolu is more Igbo than Ojukwu and Bianca.
Make una try dey get sense abeg
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by onumadu: 5:00pm On Apr 07
Objectivist04:

So Igbo culture stipulates that whenever a man dies his wife will go back to her father's house so that her people will hand her over to her husband's people grin grin grin

So if her husband's people refuse to accept her, she will remain in her father's house leaving her children and all their wealth , lol

So when was Bianca handed over to Ojukwu"s younger brother whom she is now dragging property with, shebi Betty Aleredolu is more Igbo than Ojukwu and Bianca.
Make una try dey get sense abeg

You are mixing things up and getting more confused and aloof of the core issue.
I would ignore your implied insult because of your ignorance and you sound like a kid, frankly.
To the issue:
What happened in this instance is a convergence of two cultures on the same practice (Igbo and Yoruba).
That is why they did it this way.
In pure Igbo version of the practice, she would stay put in her husbands house till death whether her husband's siblings took over her or not.
If she had male children, she may not even need to remarry (though she would be wise to do so for MANY REASONS, e.g if her kids are still small, they need protection, etc) her husbands sibling.
If she had no male children, same applies except that upon her death, the lands reverted back to her husbands siblings.
In Igbo version of the practice, a token of "bride prize" is still paid by the new husband. etc. (maybe that is even what Prof Akeredolu is even doing in this instance). Press people can give wrong information.
As for Bianca, first of all she had male children for Ikemba and has every right to NOT remarry any of his siblings (per Igbo version of this culture), and her property rights are intact including rights of succession (her male children inherited their father's lands etc).
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by onumadu: 5:16pm On Apr 07
@Objectivist04

BTW what I just described above is the ORIGINAL version of the practice, or a close derivative of it in Igboland.
These days, people do whatever they want: for example they may shun it entirely due to westernization, but then the underlying issues/problems/questions remain.
What I want people to constantly ask themselves is this: WHY IS WICKEDNESS INCREASING IN OUR SOCIETY THESE DAYS.
It definitely wasn't this bad in the decades past.
Why is it that the more we shun these cultures, the more lost we get as a people?
When Nnamdi Kanu said that black people don't reason - this type of deep questioning and deep reflection (what we call "igba oririri" in my version of Igbo language) -that is what he was referring to.
If a widow is still sexually active or attract; she will have sex. Is it better that she does it with outsiders or with her husband's sibling?
Ancient Igbo solved this question, but latter day Igbo want to reinvent the wheel and wallow in the wilderness, hence multiplication of wickedness in our land.
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by Dalohad: 5:40pm On Apr 07
Objectivist04:

You were making sense, unti you generalized it as 'Imo culture', showing that you have limited understanding of the potpourri and diversity of Intra-Igbo customs and traditions.

Pray tell, does Imo state have 'one general' customs?

Do people from Orsu in Imo who share the same linguistic customs with Ihiala LGA, Anambra follow a one-size-fits-all tradition with people in Owerri?

You are not well-lettered on the diversity of Igbo custom. Stick to what only happens in your own village and form your opinion about it.
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by kollykolly: 2:50pm On Apr 15
So what exactly do you want her to do for her kindred? You want her to slaughter Ondo people for her to take lunch? Aketi was ridiculed because of overbearing influence of Betty. She flooded the civil service with Igbos. Even the caretaker committee recently dissolved by the incumbent governor had more Igbos excluding many SAs and security details to the governors who were ostensibly Igbos. You guys just want to dominate everywhere and you blame fulanis who still leave some crumbs for the rest of us to squabble over.

franchasofficia:
Don't mind them.

Which yeye ritual in Igbo land?

That is how they misrepresent Igbo culture to Igbo haters who will not bother to verify.

It's a shame that Betty Anyanwu couldn't build a befitting house in her father's compound and couldn't develop her kindred despite being the wife of a state Governor for over 6 years, no wonder she was rejected at the polls when she tried to contest for Senate seat in Imo state.
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by Obaranje: 3:03pm On Apr 15
Objectivist04:
Such ritual is only performed in her village not Igbo land,. I never heard that a woman will go to her father's land for any ritual after the death of her husband and I am an Igbo and an adult as well, so she shouldn't make it seem to be a general practice. Again I haven't heard about a widow's family handing her over to her husband's sibling, honestly this sounds strange to me.

If she is to be from my place, she would still be in mourning period
you go dey for Lagos know wetin your village tradition dey talk?

Since them born you how many times you don go your village?

Even your clans men might not know you unless you mention the name of your father.

Now tell me how will you now understand the tradition of your people when you don't report home often?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Porthacourt Monorail In A Thousand Words (PICTURES) / Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu Resigns As Minister Of Health / Buhari Never Promised To Make One Naira Equal To A Dollar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.