Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,427 members, 7,932,378 topics. Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2024 at 05:17 AM

English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? (37456 Views)

English Gurus What's The Correct Sentence? / English Gurus: Who's Drunk Here?? (see Pic) / English Gurus Pls Help Out. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by phemray(m): 7:49pm On May 02
kings59:
A mother is the subject, her daughter is the object, because = is the emphasis, she was drunk was the reason for the action.

Her daughter was drunk.

He threw the fruit away because it was bad.

So a drunk mother can not misbehave and beat up her daughter? This is just to differentiate thinking and reasoning. I love this logic but in practical term, Data is insufficient.
Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by Asiri1991: 8:04pm On May 02
Non-definitive pronoun at work. The sentence is structurally correct but semantically meaningless and highly discouraged. The best construction would've been to mention the name or relation of whoever was drunk instead of the "she".

Don't ask me why. Only those who scored above 700 in SAT English will understand.
Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by tete7000(m): 8:08pm On May 02
socialmediaman:
It's grammatically correct but doesn't give full context. "She" could be referring to the mother or the daughter.

The correct way to express it is something like:

"A mother beats up her daughter because she (the mother) was drunk".

"A mother beats up her daughter because she (the daughter) was drunk".

"A mother beats up her daughter because she, the daughter, was drunk".

"A mother beats up her daughter because she, the mother, was drunk".

Update:

Even better ways to provide clarity:

โ€œA mother beats up her daughter, who was drunkโ€.

โ€œA mother, who was drunk, beats up her daughterโ€.

A drunk mother beats up her child.
Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by emmylight4u: 8:19pm On May 02
I was not there so, I wount know who was drunk.

If I was there, I would have been able to tell you who was drunk.
Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by ezugegere(m): 8:22pm On May 02
kings59:
A mother is the subject, her daughter is the object, because = is the emphasis, she was drunk was the reason for the action.

Her daughter was drunk.

What if I say, Hajara broke the television because she was angry? Is the statement not correct?
The she in that statement - '...because she was drunk", can be attributed to any of them.

2 Likes

Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by Yousuph007(m): 8:37pm On May 02
Answer; the mother
Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by GenFunction: 8:47pm On May 02
All i know is that there was a beat. mendozin was applied.
Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by Biglittlelois(f): 9:13pm On May 02
Xinox:
No way! Her daughter was drunk. The mother performed the actionsadbeat up her daughter) why? Because she was drunk ( her daughter is the receiver of the action)

Had to quote the person below for you to get it.

GanagiBitrus:

You are wrong & just succeeded in misinforming ignorant N/landers.

That sentence is AMBIGUOUS & could mean either of them was drunk.

To remove any ambiguity;
A mother beats up her daughter because the daughter was drunk.

Or

A mother beats up her daughter because the mother was drunk.
Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by Biglittlelois(f): 9:14pm On May 02
ukaface:
๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

What's funny?
Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by Biglittlelois(f): 9:14pm On May 02
triplechoice:

Where's the ambiguity in the sentence?

Below

GanagiBitrus:

To remove any ambiguity;

Or

Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by Biglittlelois(f): 9:17pm On May 02
CrossRhodes:

Until then set am for IELTS, then you go know say straight answer dey.

GanagiBitrus:

To remove any ambiguity;

Or

Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by Oceanjagaban: 9:23pm On May 02
Comon sense is suppose to make you understand that it's the daughter that is drunk
Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by Sheggy13(m): 9:29pm On May 02
Simple rules of concord. Subject-object verb agreement. The daughter was the drunk one.
Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by Biglittlelois(f): 9:34pm On May 02
Tapout:

Keep it up!

Keep your dullness up since you're too daft to reason without insulting someone that has a different mindset from yours

If you were wise, smart and intelligent, you would have known that that was an ambiguous sentence that can go both ways, but then, sense is far from the likes of you.
Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by mrBlunt(m): 10:24pm On May 02
This is very simple. The use of the tenses will let you know that the daughter was drunk not the mother. "beats" and "was drunk" can't both refer to the mother in this context.
Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by Justkatty(f): 12:14am On May 03
This na for people wey Sabi SPOCA V
Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by femi4: 12:24am On May 03
Asawoboy:
grin grin
It's called ambiguity...no correct answer

1 Like

Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by Tapout(m): 2:17am On May 03
Biglittlelois:

Keep your dullness up since you're too daft to reason without insulting someone that has a different mindset from yours

If you were wise, smart and intelligent, you would have known that that was an ambiguous sentence that can go both ways, but then, sense is far from the likes of you.

Lmao! Anty done vex cheesy
Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by Truvelisback(m): 4:41am On May 03
Simple: A mother beats up her daughter because she was drunk i.e her mother was drunk. If it the sentence had said "A mother beats up her daughter because her daughter was drunk", the daughter would have been the person drunk.
Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by Bloomfrancs03(m): 4:50am On May 03
kings59:

Her daughter was drunk.

Nah you are wrong.
Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by Hillarie(m): 6:42am On May 03
triplechoice:

My dear ,each of the constituent parts of the sentence have their function . If you know what they're ,you won't argue this with me.

The adverbial clause, "because she was drunk" is performing the function of an adverb, and adverbs can only modify verbs, adjectives, and another adverb, not nouns.

The clause is modifying the action, "beats up" and not describing the daughter as drunk.
Please read up grammatical function to understand this better.

"A father beat up his daughter because he was drunk " ,is the same kind of sentence.

You cannot argue in the above that it's the daughter that was drunk.

First off, I'm not arguing with you. I'm only trying to share knowledge with you regarding this.
Adverbs and adverbials modify verbs, correct. "Because she was drunk" in that sentence modifies the verb phrase "beats up" but it doesn't in anyway clarify the antecedent of "she".
Also, "A father beat up his daughter because he was drunk " isn't the same kind of sentence because we know the pronoun "he" is clearly masculine and refers to the father and not the daughter here. However, "A father beat up his son because he was drunk" is more like it. It presents us with the case of ambiguity too.

Meanwhile, consider this:
The woman swept the room because it was dirty.

Using your logic on this statement above, you're saying that "Because it was dirty" here modifies the verb "swept" which is, of course, correct. But does the "it" refer to "the woman"? Can you see that your explanation is completely flawed now? That statement by OP is a case of ambiguity. The speaker needs to either reframe the statement or add more information to disambiguate it.
Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by diamondfemi: 7:17am On May 03
Straight answer: is the motherโ€™s daughter
Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by HALCYON44: 8:05am On May 03
You got it very wrong.

Give your idea habibi don't just open your mouth and talk. You know my experience and level?
Give your reason for saying whatever you are saying. Don't give me homework as if you are talking to your baby. I'm a professional and I get paid for doing what I know how to do best. Bring your analysis let see.
Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by ejimatic: 8:46am On May 03
kings59:

Her daughter was drunk.

This is an example of structural ambiguity in English. An ambiguity is (an) instance of having two possible meanings from a sentence.

In the sentence above it could mean either of them was drunk. In order to diambiguate it it should be "A mother saw her daughter and the woman beat her because her daughter was drunk"

Another example of structural ambiguity is: Mary saw Agnes and she gave her #5. Who gave whom money?
Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by Yungfelipe: 9:33am On May 03
Thatโ€™s an ambiguous statement
Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by immortalcrown(m): 9:49am On May 03
The sentence is grammatically incorrect. But people, instead of pointing out the error, considered the sentence correct and have been trying to explain its meaning. With this, I just realised that the English problem is bigger than I thought. I myself am imperfect in the language.

You may ask what is the error in the sentence in the attached image? Let me answer the question. When two nouns that share the same pronoun are needed in one sentence and one of them is to be repeated in the sentence, the pronoun is dropped. I mean, the pronoun is not used. But when the two nouns are to be repeated in the sentence, one must be maintained and the other is either replaced with the pronoun or maintained as well. See examples below.

When two nouns with the same pronoun appear in one sentence and only one of the nouns is repeated:
"Mary slapped Joy and Joy cried."

When the two nouns are repeatedly used in the same sentence:
"Mary and Joy ended their friendship because Joy betrayed Mary."
"Mary and Joy ended their friendship because Joy betrayed her."

In this second sentence, it is clear that "her" represents Mary since betrayal as an action is performed by Joy. If you replace "her" with "herself", herself will clearly represent Joy, meaning that Joy betrayed herself, not Mary. "Mary and Joy ended their friendship because Joy betrayed herself."

It is when two nouns used repeatedly in one sentence do not share the same pronoun that you should replace each noun with its pronoun during the second appearance of each noun in the sentence. Example: "Peter and Joy ended their friendship because she betrayed him."

The sentence in the image is ambiguous. "she" could be the mother or the daughter. So, saying that the mother was drunk is correct, and saying that the daughter was drunk is aslo correct. The correct forms of the sentence are:
"A mother slapped her daughter because the daughter was drunk."

"A mother slapped her daughter because the mother was drunk."
Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by McCoy9067(m): 10:08am On May 03
kings59:

Her daughter was drunk.

You're absolutely right ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by donmik: 12:20pm On May 03
There is a clearer way to put it na to avoid argument.

A mother beats up her daughter who is drunk.

A mother beats up her daughter because the daughter is drunk
Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by Saviourk: 1:58pm On May 03
BeauBragnar11:

You must not chuck mouth for everything!!
The Daughter is the object and direct recipient of the action!!

There's nothing ambiguous there!!
Which school did you attend and course?
Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by BeauBragnar11: 4:06pm On May 03
Saviourk:
Which school did you attend and course?

You're welcome.
Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by Saviourk: 5:00pm On May 03
BeauBragnar11:

You're welcome.
I know you won't come up with a reasonable answer. All you know is to come online, disgrace and exhibit your ignorance.
Re: English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? by BeauBragnar11: 8:08pm On May 03
Saviourk:
I know you won't come up with a reasonable answer. All you know is to come online, disgrace and exhibit your ignorance.

Lmao...Werey say the statement is ambiguous grin grin, as the thing pass him brain capacity..At least you saw other intelligent comments agreeing to my position ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚..Idiot!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Anambra Varsity Gets New Name / 2 MOUAU Students Found Dead In Their Room In Abia / Primary School In Edinburgh Asks Boys To Wear Skirts To Promote Equality

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.