Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,952 members, 7,890,134 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 09:49 AM

The Nigerian Economy Is Still 20years Behind. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Nigerian Economy Is Still 20years Behind. (1152 Views)

The Role Insurance In Nigerian Economy / Dangote To Invest $12 Billion In Nigerian Economy / Ghana's Economy Is The Fastest Growing In The World - Economy Watch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian Economy Is Still 20years Behind. by Nobody: 3:55pm On Nov 17, 2011
There's no two ways about it. Our economic system is still backward. I mean 20 years behind. We are not in any way better than the pre-internet age.
There are limited money making opportunities available online due to lack of epayment solutions for business. Most websites like paypal and ebay have banned Nigerians from transacting business due to scams and internet fraud.
Not to mention unstable power supply and limited internet access. The problems internet enthusiasts like me face on a daily basis are just tøo many. Then i begin to wonder if every thriving business in Nigeria has to be brick and mortar.
I personally don't see any sign of Nigeria catching up with the rest of the world, not at the pace we're developing and it's a shame that i have to admit this, even Ghana is doing much better with far less resources.
Re: The Nigerian Economy Is Still 20years Behind. by RickyRoss1(m): 9:01am On Nov 18, 2011
DonChippy:

There's no two ways about it. Our economic system is still backward. I mean 20 years behind. We are not in any way better than the pre-internet age.
There are limited money making opportunities available online due to lack of epayment solutions for business. Most websites like paypal and ebay have banned Nigerians from transacting business due to scams and internet fraud.
Not to mention unstable power supply and limited internet access. The problems internet enthusiasts like me face on a daily basis are just tøo many. Then i begin to wonder if every thriving business in Nigeria has to be brick and mortar.
I personally don't see any sign of Nigeria catching up with the rest of the world, not at the pace we're developing and it's a shame that i have to admit this, even Ghana is doing much better with far less resources.

Why do we Nigerians always like to compare ourselves with other countries? Why cant you make your point without having to compare Nigeria with any other country? In what way is Ghana doing better than Nigeria? Are you one of the Nigerians that lied to me many years ago that Ghana has stable power supply that have lasted 10 years non stop?? but the same day i got to Ghana there was blackout in the entire city of Accra for two whole days Why do you guys say what you dont know? For your info I have been in and out of Ghana for over 5 years now, my wife is from there and my first son was born there, I have business there too. Ghana is light years behind Nigeria in everything and Ghanians themselves know this to be true.

Internet and telecoms wont be possible in Ghana without Nigeria's SAT3 Cable, all international calls in Ghana are routed through Lagos. We complain our schools are poor in Nigeria but thousands of schools are conducted under trees in Ghana, search it in google. Ghana has thousands of refugees in Togo bc of crisis in Northern region of Ghana. Nigerian politicians are corrupt and they killed Nigerian airways, just the same way Ghana politicians are corrupt and killed Ghana airways and recently sold Ghana telecom to vodafone UK with alot of bribery and corruption. Nigerian citizens are corrupt like Ghanains, we Nigerians do 419 scams and Ghanain boys are over taking NIgerians in 419 scam.

Ghana does not have limited resources, it was the former gold coasts and the second largest exporter of cocoa beans in the world. All natural resources in Nigeria are found in Ghana and they have the advantage of low population. This is not Ghana bashing thread just so you guys stop comparing Nigeria with Ghana especially. Go to Ghana first before you make such comments.
Re: The Nigerian Economy Is Still 20years Behind. by Nobody: 10:18am On Nov 18, 2011
I am not going to start an arguement with you but i will give these facts from my first hand experience after an 18 months stint in Accra so don't assume the poster haven't been to Ghana.
1, Power supply is far more stable.
2, Call rates are far less.
3, Internet access is cheaper and more reliable.
4, There's is pipe borne water in most houses i visited.
5, Their politicians are not as greedy as their Nigerian counterpats.
6, Not to talk of security.
That said, you should also note that Ghana does not make a tenth of what Nigeria makes from oil.
Re: The Nigerian Economy Is Still 20years Behind. by RDbusiness(m): 10:44am On Nov 18, 2011
@ DonChippy and Ricky Ross
you both right at your opinions juts that you are viewing it from different angle, if really will are projecting to the vision we want to achieve, then we have a long way to go and that starts from everyone of us but more to the leaders, to eradicate all the long hanging problems that the country is facing. i have not been to Ghana but with the revolution going on there, Nigeria will be surprise by what the Ghanian Government will do, maybe having a bag too name "Nigerians must go". the state of things in Nigeria is not helping the situation power supply and corruption in particular, cause if that is solved all other sector will work effectively wink wink. @ all the things you listed about Ghana been better can only be solve when we have a Good Power sector and a corrupt minimal society.
Re: The Nigerian Economy Is Still 20years Behind. by RickyRoss1(m): 11:41am On Nov 18, 2011
@DonChippy you are right as well but pls note that Ghana doesn't rely on oil alone for foreign exchange, they get money from cocoa and gold exports while we rely only on oil. All I want to say is that Ghanaian politicians are as greedy as Nigerians. This month Ghana's Health Sector was Ranked 2nd Most Corrupt In Africa just After Chad
http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=220815&comment=0#com
In Ghana there is massive corruption in all sectors of the economy just like Nigeria. Their politicians dont steal billions simply bc before now there is no billions for them to steal. Right now there is massive revenue from oil and we know what is going on in Ghana. EVen b4 the oil started flowing the present government has borrowed over 4 billion dollars already and there is another 3 billion they are getting from China this month, we know whats going on behind the scenes, also, through massive bribery and corruption they have recently awarded a 3 billion dollar STX housing scheme to a South Korean company which has been causing serious problem over there.

Someone who visited Accra and instantly claim all is well with the country is only deceiving himself. Accra is the capital of Ghana just like Abuja is to Nigeria. Can Accra in any way compete with Abuja? So any foreigner who visits Abuja should declare that Nigeria is heaven on earth?

I am not here to debate or anything, I wanted the poster to make his/her points without comparing with any other country. Not long ago Fashola said he has built more roads than Ghana and Sierra Leone combined, why not say you have done very well in road construction without having to mention other countries names? Also, I hate when Nigerian governors claim they are building new cities that will be the DUBAI OF AFRICA, JAPAN OF AFRICA and all that crap. Why not build a Nigerian city that everyone will envy?
Re: The Nigerian Economy Is Still 20years Behind. by Nobody: 1:05pm On Nov 18, 2011
The purpose of this thread is not to campare Ghana with Nigeria, but to Identify our setbacks and profer solutions.
For me, one of our major problems is power. If that can be solved then half of our problems is solved.
Second is curruption among public office holders. Our attitude doesn't even help.
Our population also has great potentials but what do you do when a high percentage of your populace is semi illiterate.
Even university graduates are not well exposed to global social economic trends.
All of these due to falling educational standards.
Not to talk of issues of security.

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Differentiate Between Fake And Original Dollars? / I Need Where To Buy Mtn Recharge Pins At A Cheaper Rate / Sokoto State Discovers Oil Set To Join Oil Producing States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.