Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,433 members, 7,917,350 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 12:44 AM

"I Couldn’t Get A Job In Nigeria Because Of My Tattoo” – Asake - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / "I Couldn’t Get A Job In Nigeria Because Of My Tattoo” – Asake (817 Views)

Naira Marley In Prison Because He Couldn’t Find A “level 10 Officer” Surety / I Couldn’t Save My Sister’s Life With All The Money I Had – Adekunle Gold / Anita Joseph – “I Regret Removing My Tattoo” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"I Couldn’t Get A Job In Nigeria Because Of My Tattoo” – Asake by DyshApp: 11:38pm On Apr 11
Popular Nigerian singer, Ahmed Ololade, better known as Asake has said that getting a job in Nigeria is tough for those with tattoos on their bodies.

Asake made this claim in an article published in the most recent issue of GQ magazine. He recounted how stereotypes prevented him from working for any organisation or conducting business due to his neck tattoo.

In his words;

“In Nigeria, if you have a tattoo on your neck, you can’t work anywhere. I can’t work for any company. I can’t sell anything.”

Asake discussed his unexpected ascent to fame and pointed out that, contrary to popular belief, he did not become an “overnight success” in the Nigerian music industry.

The “Yoga” crooner said that he had been trying for years to achieve success and that he had only recently arrived at his goal.

He said; “You have to understand: I got there in two years, but I’ve been working for years. People are counting the days you’re successful. They don’t count the days you’ve been working towards it. Nobody gives a fvck about that.”

👉Follow up more Celebrity Gist on Dyshus's webpage.

Re: "I Couldn’t Get A Job In Nigeria Because Of My Tattoo” – Asake by Omoawoke: 12:00am On Apr 12
That’s our culture and I won’t say if it’s bad or good. But that’s our way in Nigeria. Adapt or leave.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Couldn’t Get A Job In Nigeria Because Of My Tattoo” – Asake by AllenSpencer: 12:23am On Apr 12
Lies!

Just say you were not qualified enough for the job! They also could have sensed that he is a drug user.

Asides the military, I have seen people with tattoos in all works of life!

2 Likes

Re: "I Couldn’t Get A Job In Nigeria Because Of My Tattoo” – Asake by illicit(m): 7:18am On Apr 12
Omoawoke:
That’s our culture and I won’t say if it’s bad or good. But that’s our way in Nigeria. Adapt or leave.
My grandparents had tattoos

My maternal grandmother was a daughter of a village priest, she was entirely covered with drawings, except for her face

That's our culture

I taught in a British school where the director, A Briton had tattoos on his Forearm but he always wear long sleeves, but on one or two occasions everyone notices it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Couldn’t Get A Job In Nigeria Because Of My Tattoo” – Asake by blazingyou: 8:48am On Apr 12
There are some people that have tattoos on their body but you won't see it, except they show you

And they work in Nigeria...

It just depends on where your tattoos is on your body...

I see Fabulous Ankara fabric, please patronize me. Thank you grin

Re: "I Couldn’t Get A Job In Nigeria Because Of My Tattoo” – Asake by Nooneonline(m): 10:19am On Apr 12
blazingyou:
There are some people that have tattoos on their body but you won't see it, except they show you

And they work in Nigeria...

It just depends on where your tattoos is on your body...

I see Fabulous Ankara fabric, please patronize me. Thank you grin
Read to understand..he has a neck tattoo which is very visible...if it was somewhere clothes would cover...he for don see work
Re: "I Couldn’t Get A Job In Nigeria Because Of My Tattoo” – Asake by Omoawoke: 10:30am On Apr 12
illicit:

My grandparents had tattoos

My maternal grandmother was a daughter of a village priest, she was entirely covered with drawings, except her face

That's our culture

That’s true though

1 Like

Re: "I Couldn’t Get A Job In Nigeria Because Of My Tattoo” – Asake by blazingyou: 10:46am On Apr 12
Nooneonline:

Read to understand..he has a neck tattoo which is very visible...if it was somewhere clothes would cover...he for don see work

Of course; that was why I said " it depends on where the tattoos is, on his body"

Oga sir grin

If it wasn't visible, I'm sure he'd get a job.

I should've refer my statement towards "him"
cool
Re: "I Couldn’t Get A Job In Nigeria Because Of My Tattoo” – Asake by KingLennon(m): 11:11am On Apr 12
In Nigeria, people with tats are seen as criminals, drug addicts and touts. It will be difficult to get a job

(1) (Reply)

Justking Phoebe Biography: Age, Net Worth, Relationship, Height, Career / Katt Williams Arrested / Michael Jackson Alive And Well

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.