Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,209 members, 7,873,922 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 09:20 PM

Oba Of Benin Commissions Olumide Akpata’s Project (Pictures) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oba Of Benin Commissions Olumide Akpata’s Project (Pictures) (39302 Views)

Former NBA Chairman, Olumide Akpata Joins Labour Party (Pix) / Olumide Akpata & Osayamon Ogbebor Pre-Wedding Photos / Fashola Inspects 2nd Niger Bridge Project (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Of Benin Commissions Olumide Akpata’s Project (Pictures) by aswani(m): 11:41pm On Apr 14
OKAIGHELE:
He has a name that can be interpreted in his own language, Akpata is from Usen, in Usen they speak both their Yoruboid dialect called Usen and Benin. His full names are Olumide Osaigbovo Akpata. By virtue of the fact he comes from Usen, he can interpret his three names in the both languages he understands

A proper Edo man doesn’t bear these names so don’t make any fuss about it. It’s not the norm, it’s an exception. Not that you don’t already know he is from Usen,you just want to chase clout with it, they would still post news about Akpata tomorrow, even after this post, you will still go around bleating. It is not unique to Edo, Ika people bear Bini names, they can’t interpret it

Clearly you know your stuff but how can you try and infer that Usen people are not proper Edo people because Olumide Akpata bears a Yoruba name?

The Bello Osagie's, just like the Akpata's and all the other Osagie's, are from there and are no less Benin than anybody else. In fact the other Akpata's I know have pure Benin names and I am not sure where this guy got his Yoruba own from. Maybe his mum is Yoruba or something.

I have relatives from Uhi who were born in Ìbàdàn and whose two Edo parents gave them Yoruba names so maybe we should try not to give everything an intellectual story.
Re: Oba Of Benin Commissions Olumide Akpata’s Project (Pictures) by Friend22(m): 12:11am On Apr 15
Truths9ja:
Na lies and propaganda against obaseki is this. Larger percentage of Lp leaders and members are with obaseki camp and ASUE Ighodalo camp. Olumide Akpata isn’t a grassroots politician. You will see the results of the poll in September governorship election 🗳
Which lies?!

E go soon clear for una eye.

Obaseki will lose this election fair and square.
With the way he is governing Edo state he should just forget about it
Re: Oba Of Benin Commissions Olumide Akpata’s Project (Pictures) by IfnobeGod20: 2:01am On Apr 15
Sapasenator:

I do not think you are right with that, Let me look that up.
Go and ask those that did linguistic or any good English teacher. That's the correct word.
Re: Oba Of Benin Commissions Olumide Akpata’s Project (Pictures) by seanfer(m): 2:40am On Apr 15
Penguin2:

You know I didn’t know Obaseki was fighting the Oba of Benin until I met a man from Edo about a week ago.

The man is from Edo North, I think Etsako, but he told me the Oba will not support whoever Obaseki presents because of the squabble between them; to the extent some Benin sons used to come from abroad to attend the court sitting of the case Obaseki has with the Oba in court.

Now, it seems the Oba has tacitly chosen Akpata as his own candidate. And should the Benin people of Edo South give him bloc vote, Akpata would have one leg in the government house.

I wonder why Obaseki would fight the Oba. And this man from Edo told me that Obaseki’s ancestor was behind the banishment of the Oba of Benin during the Colonial era I guess. He said the current Oba was against Obaseki’s candidacy when Oshiomole presented him to the Oba but Oshiomole assured the Oba that Obaseki would not be like his fathers but it seems Oshiomole was wrong.

Things seem to be aligning for Akpata.

Obaseki's grandfather betrayed the whole benin empire not just the then Oba. You can read about the story online. Betrayal is in his genes. All the artifacts returned from overseas that were meant to be kept with the benin traditional council has been in the custody of the FG thanks to Gov Obaseki who used his influence as the stste Governor that those artifacts must be kept in a state government owned museum. This case is still in court.
Re: Oba Of Benin Commissions Olumide Akpata’s Project (Pictures) by OKAIGHELE: 2:45am On Apr 15
aswani:

Clearly you know your stuff but how can you try and infer that Usen people are not proper Edo people because Olumide Akpata bears a Yoruba name?

The Bello Osagie's, just like the Akpata's and all the other Osagie's, are from there and are no less Benin than anybody else. In fact the other Akpata's I know have pure Benin names and I am not sure where this guy got his Yoruba own from. Maybe his mum is Yoruba or something.

I have relatives from Uhi who were born in Ìbàdàn and whose two Edo parents gave them Yoruba names so maybe we should try not to give everything an intellectual story.

That is what he wants to hear now, that is what gives him erection as he goes about bleating on the thread, they will just make him unpopular with their antics

The group he is a part of are the majority in Edo state, they are trying dangerously to disassociate him from the group and they want him to win?

*NB* It is not certain the Belo-Osagie’s are from Usen. As their strange non Edo names are rather Arabic than Yoruba. Also their ancestral house is located at Lagos street as they are one of the first and very few Muslims in Benin, with an Edo last name, their origin certainly did not come from Usen.

all other Osagie’s are not from there o. Osagie simply means God sent me in Benin, it is not Usen or Yoruba laced o . It cannot be interpreted in Yoruba, I hope you know. It is a proper Edo name that any parents can give to the child. Not all Usens have Yoruba last names o

By the way, a proper Edo man i mean, the Edo man who is singular in tongue which happens to be 85 % majority. Those exceptions are from Usen which is a village in the extreme western end of Benin. At border areas, those exceptions is visible and inevitable

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Commissions Olumide Akpata’s Project (Pictures) by aswani(m): 6:06am On Apr 15
OKAIGHELE:
That is what he wants to hear now, that is what gives him erection as he goes about bleating on the thread, they will just make him unpopular with their antics

The group he is a part of are the majority in Edo state, they are trying dangerously to disassociate him from the group and they want him to win?

*NB* The Belo-Osagie might be from, all other Osagie’s are not from there o. Osagie simply means God sent me in Benin, it is not Usen or Yoruba laced o . It cannot be interpreted in Yoruba, I hope you know. It is a proper Edo name that any parents can give to the child. Not all Usens have Yoruba last names o

By the way, a proper Edo man i mean, the Edo man who is singular in tongue which happens to be 85 % majority. Those exceptions are from Usen which is a village in the extreme western end of Benin. At border areas, those exceptions is visible and inevitable

O má.

Thank you for clarifying what you meant by proper Ẹdo man. I still think Ovb'usen are proper Ẹdo people but that's OK.

One other thing, Usen is no longer a village ó, they now have Ẹdo state polytechnic there.

Plus you are right about the Osagie's, I had a brain freeze, I meant in the context of Bello Osagie and his brothers, of course their are others who are not related to them and who bear Osagie too that will come from other places.
Re: Oba Of Benin Commissions Olumide Akpata’s Project (Pictures) by OKAIGHELE: 6:10am On Apr 15
aswani:

O má.

Thank you for clarifying what you meant by proper Ẹdo man. I still think Ovb'usen are proper Ẹdo people but that's OK.

One other thing, Usen is no longer a village ó, they now have Ẹdo state polytechnic there.

Plus you are right about the Osagie's, I had a brain freeze, I meant in the context of Bello Osagie and his brothers, of course their are others who are not related to them and who bear Osagie too that will come from other places.
I made a change in my initial post to you, go reread.

Usen still do not have a bank and many other essential services, that polytechnic has been there for a while, it has not really changed the fortunes of the place.they depend on Okada or come to Benin for Banking services
Re: Oba Of Benin Commissions Olumide Akpata’s Project (Pictures) by aswani(m): 6:26am On Apr 15
OKAIGHELE:

*NB* It is not certain the Belo-Osagie’s are from Usen. As their strange non Edo names are rather Arabic than Yoruba. Also their ancestral house is located at Lagos street as they are one of the first and very few Muslims in Benin, with an Edo last name, their origin certainly did not come from Usen.

I know for a fact that they claim Usen so who are you or I to tell them they are not?

The Bello in their name is obviously Muslim (same as for their relatives Giwa-Osagie) and a lot of the children have Muslim first names. Whether Bello was attached to the surname on conversion or at birth of the original patriarch, I have no clue.

Not sure what having a house in Lagos street has to do with not coming from Usen? A lot of families have houses in different parts of Benin but still rightfully claim their villages. Unless you are suggesting they are Hausa or Yoruba and added Osagie to their name on arrival to Benin City which I can confidently tell you is false.
Re: Oba Of Benin Commissions Olumide Akpata’s Project (Pictures) by OKAIGHELE: 6:33am On Apr 15
aswani:

I know for a fact that they claim Usen so who are you or I to tell them they are not?

The Bello in their name is obviously Muslim (same as for their relatives Giwa-Osagie) and a lot of the children have Muslim first names. Whether Bello was attached to the surname on conversion or at birth of the original patriarch, I have no clue.

Not sure what having a house in Lagos street has to do with not coming from Usen? A lot of families have houses in different parts of Benin but still rightfully claim their villages. Unless you are suggesting they are Hausa or Yoruba and added Osagie to their name on arrival to Benin City which I can confidently tell you is false.
How will you know and it will not be obvious to others? If you have proof they are from Usen, post it then i will leave this place?

Having an ancestral house at Lagos Street means Lagos street is his village, Victor Uwaifo was born there and is from there, as at the time he was born there, Lagos street was called Isiukwu village, that was before the mass immigration of Hausa settlers to that place who are largely Muslims. Today Lagos street is no man’s land because it is largely dominated by Hausa settlers but in 1941, it was a village, a Bini man’s village .

I am telling you they are proper Binis from Lagos street that got converted to Islam upon the mass arrival of Hausa settlers before Benin became a proper city

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Commissions Olumide Akpata’s Project (Pictures) by aswani(m): 6:48am On Apr 15
OKAIGHELE:
How will you know and it will not be obvious to others? If you have proof they are from Usen, post it then i will leave this place?

Having an ancestral house at Lagos Street means Lagos street is his village, Victor Uwaifo was born there and is from there, as at the time he was born there, Lagos street was called Isiukwu village, that was before the mass immigration of Hausa settlers to that place who are largely Muslims. Today Lagos street is no man’s land because it is largely dominated by Hausa settlers but in 1941, it was a village, a Bini man’s village .

I am telling you they are proper Binis from Lagos street that got converted to Islam upon the mass arrival of Hausa settlers before Benin became a proper city

I no wan take argument start today abeg. One final one from me and you can wrap it up. We are already spinning away from the centre of the thread and I no wan chop ban.

You are the one that claims they are not from Usen, when they themselves claim Usen, feel free to prove they are not?

Secondly, that they have a family house in (Okemole) Lagos street doesn't mean they don't have an ancestral home somewhere else.

Like I said, a lot of people have homes in Benin and originally come from outlying villages which are all part of the Benin kingdom.

Apropos of nothing, Bayo Ade, may his gentle soul rest in perfect peace, is also from Lagos street.

I think they have a Facebook page actually which hasn't been updated in ages. Maybe you can see where they claim from there. Not that it matters to me as I know they are from Usen anyway.
Re: Oba Of Benin Commissions Olumide Akpata’s Project (Pictures) by OKAIGHELE: 7:06am On Apr 15
aswani:

I no wan take argument start today abeg. One final one from me and you can wrap it up. We are already spinning away from the centre of the thread and I no wan chop ban.

You are the one that claims they are not from Usen, when they themselves claim Usen, feel free to prove they are not?

Secondly, that they have a family house in (Okemole) Lagos street doesn't mean they don't have an ancestral home somewhere else.

Like I said, a lot of people have homes in Benin and originally come from outlying villages which are all part of the Benin kingdom.

Apropos of nothing, Bayo Ade, may his gentle soul rest in perfect peace, is also from Lagos street.

I think they have a Facebook page actually which hasn't been updated in ages. Maybe you can see where they claim from there. Not that it matters to me as I know they are from Usen anyway.
Time is of the essence, you made a claim first that they are from Usen. I told you it is not brazen and obvious, i have not heard it anywhere, what you should have done is maybe to get a video or a page as you have said it is replete to support your claim if it is there, but you seem to be dancing round. It seems to beg the question if it is actually brazen and obvious as you claimed

Some other Yoruba settlers settled at Lagos street same with Hausas who are the majority but it is someone’s village. Maybe when i come from work or when i have the chance, i will post videos of his (victor Uwaifo)nephew talking about Lagos street as their ancestral home, i will not tell you anything i can’t provide proof for, as an educated person, you expect me not to ask for proof?In 1952, Benin city was 54 thousand, in 1941, it was less than 40,000 thousand, even though there are settlers from other Bini communities, Hausa communities, Yoruba communities, Lagos street is actually someone’s ancestral home sometime back, a Bini man’s village

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Commissions Olumide Akpata’s Project (Pictures) by Penguin2: 7:50am On Apr 15
seanfer:

Obaseki's grandfather betrayed the whole benin empire not just the then Oba. You can read about the story online. Betrayal is in his genes. All the artifacts returned from overseas that were meant to be kept with the benin traditional council has been in the custody of the FG thanks to Gov Obaseki who used his influence as the stste Governor that those artifacts must be kept in a state government owned museum. This case is still in court.
Unfortunately a lot of people here don’t know this story.

And instead of educating themselves, they are arguing.
Re: Oba Of Benin Commissions Olumide Akpata’s Project (Pictures) by seanfer(m): 11:29am On Apr 15
Penguin2:

Unfortunately a lot of people here don’t know this story.

And instead of educating themselves, they are arguing.

Some know about the history but they choose to support blindly...
Re: Oba Of Benin Commissions Olumide Akpata’s Project (Pictures) by ComeToJesus: 2:33pm On Apr 15
airsaylongcome:

Donald. Donald Duke
Thanks bro..
Auto correct messing me up..😄
Re: Oba Of Benin Commissions Olumide Akpata’s Project (Pictures) by OKAIGHELE: 5:08pm On Apr 15
OKAIGHELE:
Time is of the essence, you made a claim first that they are from Usen. I told you it is not brazen and obvious, i have not heard it anywhere, what you should have done is maybe to get a video or a page as you have said it is replete to support your claim if it is there, but you seem to be dancing round. It seems to beg the question if it is actually brazen and obvious as you claimed

Some other Yoruba settlers settled at Lagos street same with Hausas who are the majority but it is someone’s village. Maybe when i come from work or when i have the chance, i will post videos of his (victor Uwaifo)nephew talking about Lagos street as their ancestral home, i will not tell you anything i can’t provide proof for, as an educated person, you expect me not to ask for proof?In 1952, Benin city was 54 thousand, in 1941, it was less than 40,000 thousand, even though there are settlers from other Bini communities, Hausa communities, Yoruba communities, Lagos street is actually someone’s ancestral home sometime back, a Bini man’s village

i told you when I get back from work, I will send you the link where Peter Uwaifo, victor Uwaifo’s nephew talked about Lagos street being their village. Bear In mind that just seventy years ago, the population of Benin city at the time was just 2 percent of what it is today. The name of Lagos street then Was Ikwisi village or town. Hakeem Belo Osagie is about seventy years old. If their ancestral house built by his forefathers is at Ikwisi town or village which is known as Lagos street today. Then he is certainly from Lagos street (Ikwisi town)not Usen. The same place victor Uwaifo hails from. Benin city was never this urban. He spoke in Bini and English. You seem to be able to comprehend Edo already. I can’t say what I can’t defend, I will advise you to stop doing same

Aswani

Time stamp 3:00-4:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFxnM_7KPpY?si=ZLATCFrCHd4oNqar

4 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Commissions Olumide Akpata’s Project (Pictures) by aswani(m): 9:30pm On Apr 15
OKAIGHELE:
i told you when I get back from work, I will send you the link where Peter Uwaifo, victor Uwaifo’s nephew talked about Lagos street being their village. Bear In mind that just seventy years ago, the population of Benin city at the time was just 2 percent of what it is today. The name of Lagos street then Was Ikwisi village or town. Hakeem Belo Osagie is about seventy years old. If their ancestral house built by his forefathers is at Ikwisi town or village which is known as Lagos street today. Then he is certainly from Lagos street (Ikwisi town)not Usen. The same place victor Uwaifo hails from. Benin city was never this urban. He spoke in Bini and English. You seem to be able to comprehend Edo already. I can’t say what I can’t defend, I will advise you to stop doing same

Aswani

First off, thank you for getting back with that video, I always say "No Benin knowledge is wasted, especially those from the elders"

Just to clarify, we are in disagreement over the fact that the Bello Osagie's originally hail from either Usen or Lagos Street.

I just need to confirm with my elders first so as to give apt information.

I came across your post relatively late in the day but will hopefully get an answer for you by tommorow as to which of us is right or wrong.

Till tommorow.
Re: Oba Of Benin Commissions Olumide Akpata’s Project (Pictures) by aswani(m): 2:02pm On Apr 16
OKAIGHELE:

Aswani

You are right, Ẹ pa Bello Osagie is not from Usẹn, he married from Usẹn and did a lot of trading there.

He is also not originally from Igwisi, he had farmland there and eventually decided to build his house (Okemole) there.

Due to status reason's, his origin is not disclosed (or refused to be) and he claims Lagos Street.

All this information is direct from an octogenarian descendant of Belllo-Osagie.

Interestingly, he appended the Bello part of the name when he turned Muslim after seeeing the transparency and honesty of Muslim Yoruba traders in Eko.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FG May Charge Dasuki For Sponsoring Terrorism / 2023: Pick RCCG Candidate, Kiss Aso Rock Goodbye – MURIC / Remi Tinubu's Ordination As RCCG Pastor, APC Plot To Capture Christians For 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.