Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,268 members, 7,846,261 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 01:01 PM

Organised Labour Gives FG May 31 Deadline For New Minimum Wage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Organised Labour Gives FG May 31 Deadline For New Minimum Wage (138 Views)

Labour Gives Otti 14-day Ultimatum Over Payment Of N30,000 Minimum Wage / Protest: Police Warn Against Violence As Labour Gives Fresh Condions / N35000 Wage Award: Labour Gives Govs Ultimatum, 61 Million Nigerians To Get N1tn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Organised Labour Gives FG May 31 Deadline For New Minimum Wage by olatade(m): 2:30pm On May 02
The Organised Labour has handed the Federal Government May 31 deadline to come up with a realistic and reasonable new minimum wage for Nigerian workers.

Labour made this known during the Workers’ Day celebrations at the Eagle Square in Abuja on Wednesday.

The President of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Joe Ajaero; and his counterpart in the Trade Union Congress (TUC), Festus Osifo were unanimous that the N30,000 current minimum wage has been grossly insufficient for Nigerian workers in the light of current economic realities and inflationary pressure including food inflation, hike in energy and transportation cost, amongst others.

They insisted that a new living wage of ₦615,000 be expeditiously approved by the President Bola Tinubu administration before the end of May.

Ajaero said, “The Nigeria Labour Congress and the TUC have made it clearly and emphatically that should the minimum wage negotiation continue and linger till the end of May, we can no longer guarantee industrial harmony in this country.”

On his part, Osifo asked the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) and power distribution companies to immediately reverse the current increase in electricity tariff for Band A customers.

“The NLC and TUC hereby advise NERC and power sector operators to reverse the last increase in electricity tariff within the next one week,” the trade union boss said.

Nigerians mark this year’s May Day amid spiralling, and unending snake-like queues at filling stations as scarcity of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) also known as petrol worsens across the Federation.

Although there have been assurances by the major oil supplier in the country, the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited to alleviate this issue, however, the queues have persisted for over one week.

https://www.channelstv.com/2024/05/02/organised-labour-gives-fg-may-31-deadline-on-new-minimum-wage/

1 Like

Re: Organised Labour Gives FG May 31 Deadline For New Minimum Wage by SoNature(m): 2:31pm On May 02
Joe Ajaero and Osifo are so childish, insensitive and clueless. How can they possibly think the government can afford a minimum wage of 200k let alone 600k? How any private schools pay their teachers - who are graduates - up to 100k per month? The minimum wage should be 80k and must be enforced across the country.
Re: Organised Labour Gives FG May 31 Deadline For New Minimum Wage by MrProlific95: 3:03pm On May 02
SoNature:
Joe Ajaero and Osifo are so childish, insensitive and clueless. How can they possibly think the government can afford a minimum wage of 200k let alone 600k? How any private schools pay their teachers - who are graduates - up to 100k per month? The minimum wage should be 80k and must be enforced across the country.
That is so insensitive of you
Re: Organised Labour Gives FG May 31 Deadline For New Minimum Wage by LagosFirstSon: 3:10pm On May 02
SoNature:
N80k is too small in this present day Nigeria. Transport alone will take away about 40k from that N80k that you think it's a big money to you.

I withdrew 100k yesterday to go shop clothes for my children and I must say that I was wowed at how expensive things have become.
I purposely went to shop myself so I will know the true situation of things in the market and i must say that it's ain't funny but we thank God for everything .
Re: Organised Labour Gives FG May 31 Deadline For New Minimum Wage by adrmelek: 3:43pm On May 02
This new fg don't listen, is 15% rise they will still pay

(1) (Reply)

Contempt: Appeal Court Grants Efcc's Exparte Motion For Stay Of Proceedings / Osun Govt Confirms Report Of Buses Dropping Youths Packed Frm Lagos By Sanwo-olu / President Tinubu's Appointees Are Behind Yahaya Bello's Ordeal - APC Chieftain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.