Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,978 members, 7,873,144 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:43 AM

First Lady Has Done It Again! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / First Lady Has Done It Again! (4385 Views)

"How I Will Operate As Nigeria’s First Lady" – Aisha Buhari / Another Bomb Droped By Our Dear First Lady / Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by efisher(m): 6:37pm On Nov 21, 2011
Lol!!! More bottles
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by Pukkah: 6:39pm On Nov 21, 2011
efisher:

@ Pukkah, I hereby dub you "Poster of the day". This thread needs to be archived and used for educational purposes. It will be useful for teaching the kids the meaning of: Pot calling the kettle black.

But you wikid sha!!!

@efisher, thank you jare.  

This is a good example of a boomerang.  wink.  Although no one is perfect, those who choose to make Patience the butt of jokes should be desirous of fixing their own language problems. It is unfair and hypocritical to put up a fellow human being for ridicule for the same or a similar offence that you are guilty of.  It is even worse when the same person goes berserk or becomes implacable when someone corrects him.
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by Pukkah: 6:47pm On Nov 21, 2011
Boyoorisha:

@ Pukkah, fella, have you gone to sleep or you have gone to reinforce? Nihilarian!

It is the way of morons to throw punches instead of logic. What's there to learn from what you wrote above? What benefit does it have for mankind? The House of Nairaland should be for intellectuals and not 'area boys' who are ready to exhibit their ill-breeding and raucousness by mouthing obscenities.

Seeing that this is the best you've got after you threatened fire and brimstone, it will profit me to ignore you. You are not worth the sweat. cool
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by Grassroot: 6:52pm On Nov 21, 2011
@ Pukkah

I remember I had to do an English exam that had this problem: "Write an essay that illustrates the saying, "those who live in glass houses don't throw stones"". If I could go back, I'll start like this:

Once upon a time, Boyoorisha lived in Nairaland [. . .]. So goes the saying, "those who live in glass houses don't throw stones".
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by efisher(m): 7:30pm On Nov 21, 2011
We are lucky the guy didn't say: "Patience Jonathan have did it again".
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by Nobody: 8:18pm On Nov 21, 2011
JESUS WEPT . Bros u can't even spell headache shocked shocked shocked shocked na waooo
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by Nobody: 8:27pm On Nov 21, 2011
Next time, if u see topic, you no go post. oversabi. cool cool cool
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by Pukkah: 8:44pm On Nov 21, 2011
lucenzo:

JESUS WEPT . Bros u can't even spell headache shocked shocked shocked shocked na waooo

I saw his wrong spelling but simply ignored it. It is a waste of time to continue correcting someone that is set in his wrong ways. Clearly, he's been able to demonstrate the stuff that he's made of. Personally, I find it sad that someone would abhor an opportunity to learn to this extent.

Overall, I wish him well and I hope he turns a new leaf. It benefits me, presumably as a fellow Nigerian, if he gets smarter.

Boyoorisha:

@ Pukkah, blathering like the silly billy that you are. You had better save your save from the unnecessary haedache you may cause yourself
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by Areosapien(f): 8:45pm On Nov 21, 2011
@ Pukkah, blathering like the
silly billy that you are. You had
better save your save from the
unnecessary haedache
you may
cause yourself

Lmfao! BOOM!!! grin
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by Areosapien(f): 8:50pm On Nov 21, 2011
Well, there's a moral to this: Do unto others what you would do to yourself if you lived in a glasshouse, because the stone might just hit one of your own in the market square.

Wait. . . Sorry, there's a mix-up somewhere.
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by muyoto: 10:40pm On Nov 21, 2011
@pukkah, sorry to say, but you're making unneceassy noise here. inteletual arrogance at best.

there are errors and there are errors. some simple typos; others, like the one by our lovable firstlady are. . .

Poster was just highlighting the fact that such humungous errors are not expected of someone of her standing.
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by Nobody: 10:57pm On Nov 21, 2011
Our first lady should become a comedian. She is so so funny: always making my day. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by ibrobell(m): 11:40pm On Nov 21, 2011
I don't think the poster has insulted the first lady. We all love her, but you know when people like her talks millions of people listen and observe the speech and so therefore should be more careful when talking.
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by Nobody: 7:16am On Nov 22, 2011
“so therefore“ “inteletual“ na waoooo grin
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by Pukkah: 7:51am On Nov 22, 2011
muyoto:

@pukkah, sorry to say, but you're making unneceassy noise here. inteletual arrogance at best.

there are errors and there are errors. some simple typos; others, like the one by our lovable firstlady are. . .

Poster was just highlighting the fact that such humungous errors are not expected of someone of her standing.

Wow! This country is fast giving way to mediocrity and mental laziness. shocked So all you can see here is 'unneceassy' noise? Where exactly is the 'inteletual arrogance'? I challenge you to underline or come up with any.

Did you bother to read through the thread? embarassed Do you have a good understanding of the issues at all? Did you see that I first corrected the OP after which he became bellicose and abusive? What should one call this? Intellectual barrenness?

ibrobell:

I don't think the poster has insulted the first lady. We all love her, but you know when people like her talks millions of people listen and observe the speech and so therefore should be more careful when talking.

He did not insult her because all of you love her. He only poked fun at her. It's only a matter of euphemism. Can you prove that you all love her? What a fallacious statement to make.

lucenzo:

“so therefore“ “inteletual“ na waoooo grin

Don't mind them lucenzo. Continue to have fun jare. cheesy grin wink grin
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by dustydee: 7:55am On Nov 22, 2011
In the UK here (in Engineering)emphasis is not so much on the grammar or very good English as long as you demonstrate engineering knowledge and communicate your knowledge and understanding adequately, you pass. Trust me there are a lot of Chinese people here who are worse than her and are graduated. If the English will not care much who are we?
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by OmoTier1(m): 9:02am On Nov 22, 2011
dustydee:

In the UK here (in Engineering)emphasis is not so much on the grammar or very good English as long as you demonstrate engineering knowledge and communicate your knowledge and understanding adequately, you pass. Trust me there are a lot of Chinese people here who are worse than her and are graduated. If the English will not care much who are we?
Thank you! Need I say that even Pukkah's attempted corrections are ridden with flawed connotations and constructs.
Hey! let me do me Bristolian mate, Pukkah, get me me dictionary and me cuppa tea mate, can't feel me legs, me tea is getting cold! grin grin grin
okie dokie, now over to you Mr correcta, Pukkah cool
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by LewsTherin: 9:35am On Nov 22, 2011
, and we blame our politicians when they focus on themselves instead of the issues. Welcome to Nigeria. Good people, greater nation. No Nigerian is EVER wrong!
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by Pukkah: 9:41am On Nov 22, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

Thank you! Need I say that even[b] Pukkah's attempted corrections are ridden with flawed connotations and constructs. [/b]
Hey! let me do me Bristolian mate, Pukkah, get me me dictionary and me cuppa tea mate, can't feel me legs, me tea is getting cold! grin grin grin
okie dokie, now over to you Mr correcta, Pukkah cool

Omo_Tier1, I am willing to learn. I had written earlier that no one is perfect. Please do me a favour by bringing the flaws to my attention.

Thank you.
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by redsun(m): 10:10am On Nov 22, 2011
English people dont care a hoot about fcking grammer. With all their everyday F WORDS AND SHIITE WORDS, they dont give a Bleep about who impresses the queen with english language. When they see an african talking posh in their language,they just nod heads and say yeah,we have got this one,he has fallen for our disease trying to be like us and talk like us,even when we cant pronounce his name written in english alphabets.
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by OmoTier1(m): 10:21am On Nov 22, 2011
Pukkah:

Omo_Tier1, I am willing to learn.  I had written earlier that no one is perfect. Please do me a favour by bringing the flaws to my attention.

Thank you.
Really, I am not here to teach people how to write good construts in English. I am not bashing you for your attempt at pointing out the seemingly obvious errors in the post by the OP, rather, your singular act not only derailed the thread, but ended not achieving much in it's entirety.

Again, take another read at your most recent post in this thread, imagine you were talking to me verbally, will you communicate your thoughts thus: Please do me a favour by bringing the flaws to my attention.'

I am not saying I am perfect either, rather, I am only pointing out that once you have made your point, there is no need going over it again and again. It is almost like you are wanting to prove to the other person that you are by far better off.- And I doubt if that was what you were really upto-

When you feed a goat, if the goat refuses to chew more of the feed and instead decides to gwnash her teeth what do you do in that instance?
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by ibrobell(m): 12:24pm On Nov 22, 2011
Excuse me @ lucenzo who cares if i made a grammatical blunder? but a public figure like the first lady should be more careful.thats all, don't mean no disrespect at all.
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by muyoto: 1:43pm On Nov 22, 2011
ibrobell:

Excuse me @ lucenzo who cares if i made a grammatical blunder? [size=15pt]but a public figure like the first lady should be more careful[/size].thats all, don't mean no disrespect at all.

abeg told them!   grin grin grin

It should be the ninth wonder of the world why self aklaimed English Language gurus, littering an otherwise lighthearted take on our amiable First lady with the putrid display of their inteltual arrogance cannot appreciate that simple fact.

She is a public figure; the OP, to all intents, is not.

Sure, we all commit occasional mishaps now and then. But like I said in my previous post, there are errors, and there are errors.

Such egregious grammatikal solecisms are not expected of someone of her status.

And pls, spare me the BS about English langage not being our mother tongue.

Yeah, MR pukkah, embolden the infelicities above in your next post in furtherance of the display of your [i]inteletual [/i]arrogance—you obviously have nothing else to do.  cool cool
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by fedal: 1:57pm On Nov 22, 2011
honestly this very very disastrous to Nigeria,imagine the first committing unnecessary blunders she need to go back to the drawing board i mean the class room or probably start learning how to pronounce A,B,C TO Z i think that will help matters.
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by Nobody: 2:57pm On Nov 22, 2011
I don't understand the nonsense about the First Lady being a "public figure". The more important fact is that she is not an elected public figure, and she is therefore not accountable to the vulgar mob that is more interested in her grammar than addressing the maladies that afflict their woe-betided lives. Having said that, he who comes to equity must come with clean hands (or so the aphorism goes). As such, one would expect that the nonentities that derive sadistic fulfilment from dissecting the First Lady's grammar are themselves impeccable users of the English Language. Unfortunately, and rather nauseatingly, they very often prove to be even worse than the First Lady. That's why I am convinced that only nitwits would defend the OP who obviously has serious grammatical challenges of his own; addressing those challenges should be a more noble and profitable cause than blathering gleefully about the peccadilloes of a woman that is already so blessed and accomplished as to be the First Lady. Public figure or not, it is unreasonable, and indeed shamelessly hypocritical, to condemn another person on account of imperfections that you are even more guilty of. It simply makes no sense.
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by Pukkah: 4:00pm On Nov 22, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

Really, I am not here to teach people how to write good construts in English. I am not bashing you for your attempt at pointing out the seemingly obvious errors in the post by the OP, rather, your singular act not only derailed the thread, but ended not achieving much in it's entirety.

Again, take another read at your most recent post in this thread, imagine you were talking to me verbally, will you communicate your thoughts thus: Please do me a favour by bringing the flaws to my attention.'

I am not saying I am perfect either, rather, I am only pointing out that once you have made your point, there is no need going over it again and again. It is almost like you are wanting to prove to the other person that you are by far better off.- And I doubt if that was what you were really upto-

When you feed a goat, if the goat refuses to chew more of the feed and instead decides to gwnash her teeth what do you do in that instance?

You made your statement before my 'most recent post' so I expected that you would draw my supposed wrong construction from the previous posts on this thread. In any case, I was not talking to you verbally in the example you cited so I see no reason why you should expect me to communicate as if I was talking to you. Whether verbal or in writing, I expected that you would not only point out what is wrong but would also provide a correction.

I was not trying to force-feed the OP, I corrected him and he started to insult me. Should I have walked away from his insolence so that by next time I would very likely become his cannon fodder or so that he could browbeat others as well? The way some people slide into abusive mode on Nairaland is a bad trend which I expect all good people to condemn. I am ready to correct this when it concerns me not minding the names some people might call me in the process. Right now, my persistence (rather than his unwarranted insults) seems to be the problem. What's arrogant about this?

The goat in your analogy did not just gnash her teeth, she attempted to chew the hand that offered her the feed. What should one do in this instance?
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by OmoTier1(m): 6:23pm On Nov 22, 2011
Pukkah:

You made your statement before my 'most recent post' so I expected that you would draw my supposed wrong construction from the previous posts on this thread. In any case, I was not talking to you verbally in the example you cited so I see no reason why you should expect me to communicate as if I was talking to you. Whether verbal or in writing, I expected that you would not only point out what is wrong but would also provide a correction.

I was not trying to force-feed the OP, I corrected him and he started to insult me. Should I have walked away from his insolence so that by next time I would very likely become his cannon fodder or so that he could browbeat others as well? The way some people slide into abusive mode on Nairaland is a bad trend which I expect all good people to condemn. I am ready to correct this when it concerns me not minding the names some people might call me in the process. Right now, my persistence (rather than his unwarranted insults) seems to be the problem. What's arrogant about this?

The goat in your analogy did not just gnash her teeth, she attempted to chew the hand that offered her the feed. What should one do in this instance?
Your explanation suggest you may not have grasped what I tried to explain in my post. Simply put, proper english construct take the form of spoken english and in most cases often idealize the scenario or event being talked about. This helps with the way you go about your connotations or sentences and very unlikely your reader will misunderstand what you were trying to pass accross first hand. Enough said. As for your exchanges with the OP, I am not against your attempt at correcting him/her but rather it was the manner in which you did it that drew my attention.

In answering your question, IGNORE. You may have noticed that not everyone has a 'teachable spirit, and I am sure you can cite numerous examples in NL.
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by modakoye: 6:02pm On Nov 23, 2011
It is true that English language is none of our mother tongues in Nigeria.  It is not compulsory for Somebody to speak a language s/he finds difficult. This is what many people do not realize. Conventionally, one is allowed to speak his/her local language, even dialect, for that matter, to express him/herself well. Professional translators are there to bridge the gap between a speaker and the audience. Language is our an identity.
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by alienYOUTH(m): 1:17pm On Nov 25, 2011
U guys all seem to be trading blows over a wrong premise. d firstlady's errors are not 'grammatical' per se, u can repeat all her statements in pidgin english or any language for dat matter & it wld still come out warped. there's somethin fundamentally wrong wit her speaking abilities.
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by liksy(f): 2:59pm On Nov 25, 2011
Chei , Boyoorisha sorry oh!, Pukkah don finish u bi that, If am u, i will go and hug a transformer. wink wink wink
Re: First Lady Has Done It Again! by vokalguy(m): 4:23pm On Nov 25, 2011
Abeg forget first lady jare, the OP got schooled big time, DAMN

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. / Buhari Speaks About His Campaign Funds / Tinubu Draws Buhari Transition Team List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.