Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,177 members, 7,880,671 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 01:22 AM

The Flood That Led To The Demolition In Mende - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Flood That Led To The Demolition In Mende (32693 Views)

Woman Shares Heartbreaking Story Of House Demolition In Lagos(video) / Mende Demolitions: How The Developer Deviated From Approved Plan (Pictures) / #ItaFaaji: LASG Takes Over The Land, Begins Massive Demolition In Lagos Island (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Flood That Led To The Demolition In Mende by Komo4dmoney: 12:24am On May 07
seborrhic:
So why doesn't the US where houses are annually flooded due to torrential rains and severe weather events with some houses even carried away,resort to demolition of the flooded houses as the only solution?
Houses flooded,solution is demolition of such houses;thunder strikes or rains,not even heavy rains falls,solution is to immediately cut off power supply in Nigeria!

Òpònú àgbà

1 Like

Re: The Flood That Led To The Demolition In Mende by Starz825(m): 4:16am On May 07
But make we no lie ..... govt for don warn them before that 2 hrs shit ....pple are saying everywhere....

And Nigerians can be very stubborn....upon all warnings..if he come happen ...dem go dey cry like say ...dem do them bad....

Same thing goes to students in the university...

Come class ...no

Do assignment...no

When dem fail....dem go dey cry like say the lecturer wicked them....

So may God help those who's affected by this development...in Jesus name amen

1 Like

Re: The Flood That Led To The Demolition In Mende by FireUpNow(m): 11:49am On May 07
Konquest:

@The bolded.

Omo! shocked

"A high rise building near the canal sank into the ground leaving ONLY the top floor."

@FireUpNow, how many floors was the high rise building owned by the Cedato Bakery owner?

Folks must learn punishing lessons from here on out due to lack of due diligence.

To be honest I never counted how many floors the building was then but it was a gigantic edifice. One very good thing is that there were some Italians that built their house on drainage too but the master piece of their thing was a top-notch. The way they built it, the water can flow under the building without any obstruction from the building. That house stood firm. Poloni it was known then. Nigerians love cutting corners

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Flood That Led To The Demolition In Mende by Konquest: 7:19pm On May 07
FireUpNow:

To be honest I never counted how many floors the building was then but it was a gigantic edifice. One very good thing is that there were some Italians that built their house on drainage too but the master piece of their thing was a top-notch. The way they built it, the water can flow under the building without any obstruction from the building. That house stood firm. Poloni it was known then. Nigerians love cutting corners
@FireUpNow,

Thanks for the insightful feedback here. Indeed, a very good pile foundation would have been enough to withstand that kind of swampland terrain in Mende, Maryland just like it's being done in the State of Florida. Some parts of Florida are below sea level and the top echelon of Lagos State lands and urban planning officials will have to understudy how Florida is trying to overcome the challenges of rising sea levels.

We even have new cement products that can withstand damage from water absorption after being used for building construction. So, everything is about knowledge, due diligence and adhering to global best practices just like the Italians you alluded to in your post.

Have a great week ahead.
Re: The Flood That Led To The Demolition In Mende by FireUpNow(m): 9:18am On May 08
Konquest:

@FireUpNow,

Thanks for the insightful feedback here. Indeed, a very good pile foundation would have been enough to withstand that kind of swampland terrain in Mende, Maryland just like it's being done in the State of Florida. Some parts of Florida are below sea level and the top echelon of Lagos State lands and urban planning officials will have to understudy how Florida is trying to overcome the challenges of rising sea levels.

We even have new cement products that can withstand damage from water absorption after being used for building construction. So, everything is about knowledge, due diligence and adhering to global best practices just like the Italians you alluded to in your post.

Have a great week ahead.

Many thanks for your insightful comment. I learnt a lot from you as regards the above. If only our people will .listen and learn. One major problem with us in this part of the world is cutting corners.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Flood That Led To The Demolition In Mende by Abokisulay(m): 9:20am On May 08
Everlastingson:

Stop defending evil. Sanwolu has done nothing other than destroying Igbo owned houses and properties in Lagos since after the 2023 Elections for the simple racist reason that the Igbo didn't vote for him. In this harsh Tinubu economy all you could think of is destroying people's livelihood. Your reward awaits you.
ur a big fool
Re: The Flood That Led To The Demolition In Mende by Abokisulay(m): 9:22am On May 08
Kingisibor:

Goat who is talking about tribe lagos and anambra?... you bastard backward sycophants...
u can't turn Lagos to ur shithole region. Bloody ipob rat
Re: The Flood That Led To The Demolition In Mende by Everlastingson: 9:28am On May 08
Abokisulay:
ur a big fool

Is this all your indwelt demon told you to say? Don't mention me again because I don't engage demon indwelt stark illiterates.
Re: The Flood That Led To The Demolition In Mende by MsOnyi24(f): 5:46pm On May 10
CommonSense1967:

Incoherent and irrational ranting of a delusional brainwashed IPOB retard. take your inconsequential attention-seeking nonentity and go jump inside the Lagos lagoon. Your views and opinions of us are as useless as fart, we don't give a flying fvck what you think grin grin grin
GET LOST with your VICTIM slave mentality. Take your kobo kobo investment and get the fvck out of my land. You are polluting the air, we need fresh air. Overpopulation is not a development to me. GET LOST and pls don't come back. We don't need you.

BYE

Oh no, Lagos is an overacted slum, the Lagoon water is for you to drink after all it is full of waste like the rubbish coming out of your infected mouth.
No I am very much here and ready for you pig.
Re: The Flood That Led To The Demolition In Mende by mediareal(m): 5:53pm On May 13
Hello!
Re: The Flood That Led To The Demolition In Mende by carterwrote(m): 3:46pm On May 27
naptu2:
There were major incidents of flooding in the Mende and Aboru areas in 2020, 2021 and 2022 and the Lagos State Government subsequently issued contravention orders to owners of properties that had encroached on the right of way of the System 1 Canal, a canal that is a very important drain on the Mainland.

Contravention notices were issued in 2021, 2022 and 2023.

Late in 2023 the residents, accompanied by the representative at the Lagos House of Assembly went to see the Lagos State Commissioner for the Environment and Water Resources. The Special Adviser to the Governor on the Environment was also at the meeting.

At that meeting the residents admitted that they had been served contravention notices since 2021.

However, a singer, Yemi Alade, recently said that the residents were only given 2 hours notice before their properties were demolished. This thread documents all the events, beginning from the floods.

Lagos Fire And Rescue Service @LagosRescue

Ah, for Mende and Aboru, flooding ain't no stranger,
Lagos State Gov sent notices, but still faced danger.
Residents met with leaders, seeking a solution,
Yet singer Yemi Alade claims they faced demolition confusion.
Re: The Flood That Led To The Demolition In Mende by adestic: 3:41pm On May 28
2 bedroom flat, ground floor at Ayobo, Iyana ipaja axis, with two toilets and bathroom

tiled

fenced gate

Bore hole water

Close to the main road

Good accessibility

Enough car parking space

Rent: #400,000.00. (other professional charges apply)

Note;- Yoruba, Edo, and Delta working class tenants preferred.

call/watsapp 08035733348, thanks
Re: The Flood That Led To The Demolition In Mende by Sosqui: 2:39am On May 29
Please where are evidences of the Notices? I know Mende Villa very well and no Notice was ever given until they came one evening and told the affected apartments inside to park out within 24 hours. Officials claimed they met with residence and showed videos of a meeting of some group of people (who are they and which Estates or areas did they represent? Let's not justify rubbish because we are not affected or affiliated to the political party or Government. I want to ask when last did Lagos State Government dredge the System 1 canal? Why has the sand filling of Bar Beach to Eko Atlantic City not caused flooding in the the Victoria Island axes? Or we want to justify rubbish?
naptu2:
There were major incidents of flooding in the Mende and Aboru areas in 2020, 2021 and 2022 and the Lagos State Government subsequently issued contravention orders to owners of properties that had encroached on the right of way of the System 1 Canal, a canal that is a very important drain on the Mainland.

Contravention notices were issued in 2021, 2022 and 2023.

Late in 2023 the residents, accompanied by the representative at the Lagos House of Assembly went to see the Lagos State Commissioner for the Environment and Water Resources. The Special Adviser to the Governor on the Environment was also at the meeting.

At that meeting the residents admitted that they had been served contravention notices since 2021.

However, a singer, Yemi Alade, recently said that the residents were only given 2 hours notice before their properties were demolished. This thread documents all the events, beginning from the floods.

Lagos Fire And Rescue Service @LagosRescue

Re: The Flood That Led To The Demolition In Mende by Sosqui: 9:26pm On May 29
Addendum....
Hello naptu2, I saw your response in your dairy session and I would have loved to reply you there but let me do it here since you limited response there.
I would have wanted a direct response instead of passing through the corners and claiming otherwise.

My questions still stand and please stop trying to be clever by half. My messages/questions were very clear.

I know you will have to earn your daily pay but while you earn it, don't mislead people with half truth and too much write ups without any meaningful substance.

I will appreciate if you can share the gazetted system 1 and let's know how many houses have encroached.

For your info, a Car Assembling Plant was recently granted necessary approvals to build in less than 1 km to the canal of the so called Gazetted System 1 instead of the 240m as gazetted in 1972 or the standard 20m from the canal.

I await your response.

Sosqui:
Please where are evidences of the Notices? I know Mende Villa very well and no Notice was ever given until they came one evening and told the affected apartments inside to park out within 24 hours. Officials claimed they met with residence and showed videos of a meeting of some group of people (who are they and which Estates or areas did they represent? Let's not justify rubbish because we are not affected or affiliated to the political party or Government. I want to ask when last did Lagos State Government dredge the System 1 canal? Why has the sand filling of Bar Beach to Eko Atlantic City not caused flooding in the the Victoria Island axes? Or we want to justify rubbish?
Re: The Flood That Led To The Demolition In Mende by Sosqui: 7:35am On May 30
@ naptu2, there is a popular saying that a F**l at 40 is a F**l forever and knowing that you have past 40 years of age and still remain one...

As long as you keep mentioning my name, I will return same energy and favour.

Enough of all your lies and misinformation...

Sosqui:
Addendum....
Hello naptu2, I saw your response in your dairy session and I would have loved to reply you there but let me do it here since you limited response there.
I would have wanted a direct response instead of passing through the corners and claiming otherwise.

My questions still stand and please stop trying to be clever by half. My messages/questions were very clear.

I know you will have to earn your daily pay but while you earn it, don't mislead people with half truth and too much write ups without any meaningful substance.

I will appreciate if you can share the gazetted system 1 and let's know how many houses have encroached.

For your info, a Car Assembling Plant was recently granted necessary approvals to build in less than 1 km to the canal of the so called Gazetted System 1 instead of the 240m as gazetted in 1972 or the standard 20m from the canal.

I await your response.

Re: The Flood That Led To The Demolition In Mende by Sosqui: 1:27am On May 31
I know you are very jobless but I have your time. Keep it coming.

Stop spreading half truths.

Sosqui:
@ naptu2, there is a popular saying that a F**l at 40 is a F**l forever and knowing that you have past 40 years of age and still remain one...

As long as you keep mentioning my name, I will return same energy and favour.

Enough of all your lies and misinformation...

Re: The Flood That Led To The Demolition In Mende by naptu2: 6:06am On May 31
Is that guy still wasting his time?
Re: The Flood That Led To The Demolition In Mende by maysimsimple(m): 3:06pm On May 31
Werey nshey ori e. Have you gone thru what your oloripelebe also do on SM. Who your love epp. Oponu

Always trying to play the victim card. What's wrong with you people ?

uote author=MsOnyi24 post=129813884]

My goodness you guys are so tribalistic - its stinks. I am really beginning to dislike Yoruba people, I had no idea you people are like this.
I thought racism was something until I discovered tribalism, Yoruba people - are you people this bad??
Henceforth I must avoid all of you until at least one proves themselves to be good.
Tinubu can be president for a maximum of 8 years only but this damage you are bringing on yourself with still follow your generations.
[/quote]

1 Like

Re: The Flood That Led To The Demolition In Mende by Sosqui: 1:55am On Jun 01
Please answer that above questions.

I have your time.

naptu2:
Is that guy still wasting his time?
Re: The Flood That Led To The Demolition In Mende by djseanjohn77: 8:00am On Jun 10
seborrhic:
So why doesn't the US where houses are annually flooded due to torrential rains and severe weather events with some houses even carried away,resort to demolition of the flooded houses as the only solution?
Houses flooded,solution is demolition of such houses;thunder strikes or rains,not even heavy rains falls,solution is to immediately cut off power supply in Nigeria!

The answer is simple - because there is no encroachment. Nigerians encroaches beyond their approval....and you know it. A plot that is supposed to house a 3 bedroom and leave space for parking and recreation will build on every part of the land including a portion of the road in front of him - All trees cut down, no greenery to provide protection for the ground during flood. The US that you make reference to, all rules and regulations are adhered to strictly.
If powers are not cut in Nigeria during thunder strike, the risk of fire, electrical hazards are so high. How many of your houses have thunder protection? How many of your house has standard electrification? How many of your house uses standard wires and cables? Well you won't know those things are part of your responsibility to ensure and responsibility of government to protec...I doubt if you even know such things exist.
Re: The Flood That Led To The Demolition In Mende by Mandem05: 7:29am On Jun 29
As painful as all these demolitions as, if it's necessary to avert the reoccurring annual flooding then that's the price to pay. I think the government should assist in relocation of the affected individuals and their families.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Do I Share The Rooms? / The Making Of The "White Penthouse" In Anambra / Apartments To Let In Abeokuta, Ogun State (Kindly Note the Prices have Changed)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.