Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,562 members, 7,833,809 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 08:21 AM

Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan (18753 Views)

Ronald Dosunmu Scored 8As In WAEC, 350 In UTME Admitted To Covenant University / Where To Get Phd Admission With MBA In Management / Monifa Phillip, Black Woman Graduate From University Of Glasgow, PhD In Physics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by tishbite42: 9:26am On May 09
More wins to her

1 Like

Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by Originality007: 9:27am On May 09
grin Omo re bi iyan.

Congratulations

2 Likes

Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by Thewesterner(m): 9:28am On May 09
Kare Omo Olu Iwa Bi...Wa 'gbayi

2 Likes

Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by Christlike01: 9:29am On May 09
Yet another FIRST in the bag! Yoruba are not just another Africans;they are a special breeds!

Congratulations to you Engineer Oluwami.

5 Likes

Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by Pimine: 9:29am On May 09
opalu:
Congratulations to her.
But I have Question:
How come Nigerians are very United when they are outside Nigeria. But when they are in Nigeria they are very divided?
Smple. You can fight with your brother internally, but you'll still protect him from outsiders.

I remember a time long ago I and my friend were not on talking terms despite living under the same roof. I went outside and got into trouble, but he came and we fought those guys together. And that was how the quarrel ended.

Those were my days of fighting outside lol.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by Sccarrr: 9:29am On May 09
anonimi:

How does this reflect on the ICT capabilities of her country of birth and the 220 million people she left behind, including her close relatives

dey dia dey ask foolish question..no try make a difference yourself
Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by LOVEGINO(m): 9:30am On May 09
Racoon:
Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi, first black female Robotics PhD holder in Michigan University, US

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/05/nigerian-oluwami-dosunmu-ogunjobi-emerges-first-black-woman-to-bag-phd-in-robotics-at-michigan-university/
make she just remain there and make use of the cert or else we go render her useless here.
Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by Zooposki(f): 9:30am On May 09
[quote author=Racoon post=129861663][/quote]

Congrats 👇🏾👇🏾 Big ups to South South.

2). Professor Rose-Margaret Ekeng-Itua. First Nigerian and Black Woman to Earn a Doctorate Degree (Ph.D) in Cybernetics in the World.
Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by Sccarrr: 9:30am On May 09
Pimine:

Smple. You can fight with your brother internally, but you'll still protect him from outsiders.

I remember a time long ago I and my friend were not on talking terms despite living under the same roof. I went outside and got into trouble, but he came and we fought those guys together. And that was how the quarrel ended.

Those were my days of fighting outside lol.
your guy na real nigga
Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by Konquest: 9:31am On May 09
Racoon:
Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi, first black female Robotics PhD holder in Michigan University, US

A Nigerian female engineer, Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunbi, has made history by becoming the first black woman to earn a doctorate degree also known as PhD in Robotics at the University of Michigan, United States.

Dosunmu-Ogunjobi made this known on Saturday, while speaking at the University of Michigan’s College of Engineering convocation, on the roles of mentors and advocates in realising her aspirations.

Robotics is the interdisciplinary study and practice of the design, construction, operation, and use of robots. Within mechanical engineering, robotics is the design and construction of the physical structures of robots, while in computer science, robotics focuses on robotic automation algorithms

Oluwami, shortened as Wami, a daughter of Nigerian immigrants Dosunmu-Ogunbi, in the US, was elated about her remarkable feat, as she asserted, “I am the first Black woman to get a PhD in Robotics at the University of Michigan.”

Wami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi said, “I do not stand here on my own two feet alone. None of us got here by our individual merit alone, whether it be teacher, friends, family, mentors, or role models, we each have one or multiple people to whom we are grateful for making this moment possible.”

Speaking on what she wanted to be remembered for, the Nigerian female robotics engineer said she wanted to be remembered as the University of Michigan’s first black woman to get a PhD in Robotics, and as a person using her knowledge in engineering to improve the lives of others.

“A Michigan Engineer is one who does not just provide scientific and technological leadership, but is also one who is intellectually curious, socially conscious, creates collaborative solutions to societal problems, and promotes an inclusive and innovative community of service for the common good,” Wami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi said.

She added, “We each have a solemn duty to make positive contributions to the world. Well, my reasons for becoming an engineer were initially frivolous, but they eventually moved into something more meaningful. I want to have a positive impact on the world.”

The University of Michigan Robotics Department website describes Dosunmu-Ogunbi’s journey as one shared by many PhD students who initially lack a clear vision for their final goals.

In her website, Dosunmu-Ogunjobi revealed several achievements in her academic journey at the university which included saying, “I was awarded the Intersectional Advocacy Award in recognition for my dedication to honoring and advocating for the intersectional nature of students’ many identities through involvement and activities.”

She also wrote in one of the posts, “I spoke at the College of Engineering Graduate Student Commencement at the University of Michigan on May 1, 2024.” Other posts with photos included, “I presented a poster at the Midwestern Robotics Workshop in Chicago on April 18, 2024.

“I was awarded the Intersectional Advocacy Award in recognition for my dedication to honoring and advocating for the intersectional nature of students’ many identities through involvement and activities.

“I had the opportunity to inspire a group of high school girls from “Girls Who Code” by telling them about my PhD journey. I represented Michigan Robotics at the Robotic and Intelligent Systems Expo (RISE) at Purdue University on March 30, 2024,” Dosunmu-Ogunjobi added.

The number of Nigerians making waves in academics and technology across the globe keeps growing as they continually contribute to the development of inventions, innovations and ideas. The beautiful thing about the astounding feats is that both Nigerian men and women are blazing the trail.

Recently, Nigerian female scholar, Professor Rose-Margaret Ekeng-Itua, also emerged as the first black woman to earn a doctorate degree (Ph.D) in Cybernetics in the world.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/05/nigerian-oluwami-dosunmu-ogunjobi-emerges-first-black-woman-to-bag-phd-in-robotics-at-michigan-university/
That's an impressive feat in the field of robotics.

Congratulations to our Diasporan Nigerians, Ms. Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi and Prof. Rose-Margaret Ekeng-Itua on their stellar achievements in the global Tech space within a space of 1 week.

"When you train a woman... YOU train a nation!" That's non-negotiable.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by Mandate2023: 9:32am On May 09
Dcaliphate:
grin oya o, Ronus, line up, food don come

Ponu that is hw u start d war latter u will claim to be d victim

1 Like

Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by macanu(m): 9:32am On May 09
[quote author=Racoon post=129861663][/quote]this are the kind of people the government suppose to use them by investing in them to produce things for the glory of the nation but they can't think that way, na to divert things all of them do, buy houses jewelries and womanize them sabi dey intelligence to do no common sense for renovation and creative ideals, God help person o

1 Like

Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by Mervingreat: 9:32am On May 09
Noja no dey carry last. Love my country die.

Nija for life all enemy of this will die a painful death as God live.

Congratulation madam.
Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by Maysdevices(f): 9:33am On May 09
OkoRemi2023:
I know na Yoruba woman she go be, solving all impossibility

In Yoruba land ladies are not created to seat down like statue while the man work his ass out day and out

Yoruba women won't even seat down at home comfortably, the spirit to work is always in them, no wonder many great women in Nigeria came from west, the richest women in Nigeria, dominating entertainment, banking industry

God bless all our women across the globe. All thanks to Yoruba parents for investing in all their kids without gender discrimination
Very accurate, most hardworking women in Nigeria after women from the South South

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by Airlord2030: 9:35am On May 09
All this first black rubbish self. How many times have you heard of first white?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by Ajalalomo: 9:37am On May 09
Racoon:
Another stellar feat by a sister from the South West. Many congratulations madam. More heights to attain.

Our youth are so blinded with division, discrimination, and tribalism. We never see ourselves as one, and it’s always the east versus the west or the north versus the south.
Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by BoldBrainz(m): 9:38am On May 09
OkoRemi2023:
I know na Yoruba woman she go be, solving all impossibility

In Yoruba land ladies are not created to seat down like statue while the man work his ass out day and out

Yoruba women won't even seat down at home comfortably, the spirit to work is always in them, no wonder many great women in Nigeria came from west, the richest women in Nigeria, dominating entertainment, banking industry

God bless all our women across the globe. All thanks to Yoruba parents for investing in all their kids without gender discrimination

Rosemary Ekeng-Itua bagged a Phd in Cybernetics as the first black woman and we didn't come here to prance on everyone with the Akwa-Cross tribalism rhetorics. We all commended her as a Nigerian.

Retrograde bastards like you will always find the foggiest of opportunities to constitute yourselves into public nuisances. Some of you are in dire need of psychiatric evaluation.
Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by Konquest: 9:39am On May 09
SmartyPants:

People gravitate towards the smallest available unit of community.

When you're in Nigeria that is first your religion, then your region, then your tribe and depending on the complexity of your tribe, your particular State.

When you're outside Nigeria, that is first your race, then your religion, then your region/sub-region(West or East Africa for example), and then your country.
Succinctly stated.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by BrodaBenad: 9:41am On May 09
Yoruba Amaka wink wink
Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by kareemkamil(m): 9:42am On May 09
Another professor award, with zero productive idea. When will black wake up & stop this fake award by white people. Not education took American to where they are today, it skill & researching.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by frankoben(m): 9:45am On May 09
Wow! Congrats!
Naija amaka
Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by chatinent: 9:46am On May 09
Na this kind courses person suppose study...not Animal Husbandry, etc.

The world is tech now.

Congrats omoge
Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by Spidermon: 9:53am On May 09
She isnt Nigerian
Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by naijapikin2(m): 9:54am On May 09
Let her come back to nigeria... We need her ASAP

Awa president is a robot 😎😎

2 Likes

Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by ufuosman(m): 9:54am On May 09
Congratulations 🎊
Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by lanre316: 9:58am On May 09
opalu:
Congratulations to her.
But I have Question:
How come Nigerians are very United when they are outside Nigeria. But when they are in Nigeria they are very divided?

Simple.

At home, brothers fight each other. Outside the home, brothers unite for fight their enemies.
Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by Honestey: 9:59am On May 09
When I saw FIRST BLACK, I knew she would be Nigerian
Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by adicius: 10:00am On May 09
Well done. Omoluabi of Youruba land and Yoruba nation. We shall always be great. Up up Yoruba nation.

Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by friday2011(m): 10:06am On May 09
opalu:
Congratulations to her.
But I have Question:

The answer is just one.

Because they are being brainwashed by this corrupt politicians on religion and ethnicity.

Leaving abroad will expose someone to the fact that religion does not play a major role on success in life, success is simply through hard work, if you are good at what you do, you get your honour, no body cares wether you are black or white, Muslim or Christian, tall or short.
Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by AuschwitzPrefec: 10:14am On May 09
Bitter Obi will never ever recognise and congratulate this woman .
Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by Smartcitizen: 10:17am On May 09
emkz:
Breaking News

Peter Obi reacts...

Breaking News;

EMKZ cried after Peter Obi's reaction.

🤣🤣🤣
Re: Oluwami Dosunmu-Ogunjobi First Black Woman To Get PhD In Robotics At Michigan by yommen: 10:18am On May 09
Dcaliphate:
grin oya o, Ronus, line up, food don come

That wasn't enough to hide your pain and disappointment.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mountain Top University MEGA Concert (MFM) Eko Hotel (photos) / Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? / A Nairalander And His Friends Giving Back To The Society

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.