Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,726 members, 7,879,152 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 01:25 PM

Short Stories From My Recent Trip - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Short Stories From My Recent Trip (43 Views)

Help Guys, I Need Your Support For My Recent Project / Recent Photo Of Little Girl With The Popular Meme / Shocking Stories From 9/11 Attack In America, And List Of Victims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Short Stories From My Recent Trip by Felixv: 2:10pm On May 14
I intended to write a few short stories but ended up writing only two.

Lagos is going through a fuel scarcity crisis.

Long queues at filling stations, black market touts selling a liter of fuel for 1000 naira and general lawless reigns.

One has to wonder if there is a government in this country.

I took a ride from badore to ipaja ( return) and spent almost 50k - is this the norm or was I ripped off - I wll say it depends on how you look at it.

Cab drivers come to work on the island and stay for days because it is lucrative working on the island especially at weekends- at least this is what two cabbies told me, it’s easy to strike conversations with these guys and you get to learn more about Lagos.

The fuel scarcity is biting deep, stores are closing early due to the exorbitant cost of running their generators.

Workers - well dressed people driving their nice cars seem to be on edge - arguments seem to be the order of the day I witnessed not a few but many
sometimes the cause is lost in the shouting.

But alas home is home. The food is amazing - if you can afford it and seeing family is definitely making the trip worthwhile.

[b]The ubiquitous POS - a banking system within a banking s[/b]ystem.

How this device became the life saver in city forged on corruption.

At first it dosent make sense kids sitting along the roadside not selling anything but with the word POS written on a cardboard. This is so lucrative they don’t need to sell charging cards anymore - that is done online using an app.

The question - why are people patronizing these kids - corruption.

The ATM machines have been rendered redundant. As I was about to use one the cab driver retorted ‘does it have money’ it didn’t actually the security guy said it hardly works.

So I headed to the banking hall - big regret, it was teaming with people, mostly younger people looking for some services. It wasn’t an encouraging sign.

As I walked out contemplating my next move ( I needed cash) my cab driver pointed out the kid with the POS sign.

At this point I got the message he said 2500 for 50k. But he needed to talk to someone (apparently he didn’t have 50k but knew someone who did).

His partner in crime a young lady had 50k but only wanted 2k ( the first guy seem to have a second job as a tout).

Got out my ATM card got my cash and gave the young boy 500naira for his troubles.

The catch-banks seem to have outsourced the work of the ATM machine to these kids - maybe it’s a deliberate way of creating employment.

All you need is a POS, massive wads of cash and helping bank that would break their ATM machine.

Naija is wild.

The banking system is tiered. The first floor is for the ‘have nots’ you join a queue and wait patiently for your turn.

But if you a wise to the game you head upstairs where you would meet an empty hall full of young ladies idling away.

They are seated at desks waiting for you ( and your tip). This is a privileged service.
Re: Short Stories From My Recent Trip by Xosh: 2:25pm On May 14
The last paragraph cracked me up.i must admit,you Mr man are good with words.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News: 50 Communities, Abduct Hundreds Of People In Zamfara / Confessional Time / Police Rescue Abducted Children In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.