Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,541 members, 7,948,072 topics. Date: Friday, 13 September 2024 at 01:28 PM

Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding (8319 Views)

Hike: UNIBEN Reduces School Fees After Public Outcry / Lecturer Resorts To Hawking Potatoes To Survive In Uyo (photos) / Video: Senior Lecturer Of UNIZIK Resorts To Gari Production Due To Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by JuanDeDios: 9:58am On May 20
Elsueno:

Their is a special meter for all these large places. The reason they mostly refused is, You can't control the staffs from using power anyhow. Reason why it's cheaper to just use estimate OR BETTER yet turn off the power after closing hours & Only back ON the next day around 10-11 am. staff quarters, shops should each have personal meters & pay for thier own power fees to the school
I see. I think bolded should certainly be implemented.

1 Like

Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by jmoore(m): 10:12am On May 20
emmy9500:
Going with this figure that means UNIBEN uses over 1 million KW (1000MW) per month, and over 33MW per day

Who are those clowns that are saying solar…. How much will it take to setup a solar farm generating at least 40MW/day?

P.S 40MW = 40000KW
Your calculation is based on assumption. Estimated billing is not the right reading.
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by written007: 10:26am On May 20
blackmantis:
With N500m Uniben can go completely off grid with Solar
.. for a mini farm...I don't think so
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by Yampotatocarrot(m): 10:26am On May 20
Flier:
STop this nonsense! It might take up to 5 Billion naira to power UNIBEN with solar
Solar isn’t affordable.
I spend 430,000 on diesel everyday after they told me solar that can power my factory will cost 350 million
Imagine just 200kva kva factory
Mind you the life circle of solar battery is 2 years
Infact the solar I use at home 4 battery’s with 8 panels
If you don’t see nepa light to charge it Atleast twice a week it won’t last long again.

Doesn't have to be solar... I believe there are universities in Nigeria that are off grid... Let them go and learn from those ones how they were able to do it
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by boolee(m): 10:27am On May 20
Truth is, UNIBEN enjoys close to 24-hour supply. In Fact, they can go on for 72 hours without the light blinking. Courtesy of the power substation inside the school.
Stores and shops inside UNIBEN are all metered, same with private residential areas like staff Quarters.

The crux of the problem is the Student's hostels. There are more than 11 student hostels in UNIBEN. With a population of more than 7000 occupants. This is where the calculations should start from.

I think most departments should start thinking of how to go off-grid. This will really help.

As a graduating class, we did a Solar project for our department. Solar that can power the HOD's offices and our presentation room courtesy of our Course adviser who sold this brilliant idea to us.

Thou I know departments like Geology have been off the grid. I think they have a massive solar system too.

If other departments can follow suit this will drastically reduce the energy load needed to be supplied.

Way to go.

God Bless UNIBEN
God Bless Edo State
God Bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by grandstar(m): 11:47am On May 20
blackmantis:

I very much doubt it.

Rather, I would suggest they enter into an arrangement with an independent power to supply them piwer.

The power company would build a gas plant and supply them power at an agreed tariff. It should be priced in dollars as the Naira can't be trusted but the Naira equivalent of the bill will be paid.

Would you imagine Lesotho signed a long term power supply contract with South Africa with the tariffs in the South African Rand.

Instead of Lesotho enjoying a boom from such a deal like the type enjoyed by Paraguay whichever exported lots of power generated from a huge dam to Brazil, it is mired in poverty.
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by farady(m): 11:57am On May 20
boolee:
Truth is, UNIBEN enjoys close to 24-hour supply. In Fact, they can go on for 72 hours without the light blinking. Courtesy of the power substation inside the school.
Stores and shops inside UNIBEN are all metered, same with private residential areas like staff Quarters.

The crux of the problem is the Student's hostels. There are more than 11 student hostels in UNIBEN. With a population of more than 7000 occupants. This is where the calculations should start from.

I think most departments should start thinking of how to go off-grid. This will really help.

As a graduating class, we did a Solar project for our department. Solar that can power the HOD's offices and our presentation room courtesy of our Course adviser who sold this brilliant idea to us.

Thou I know departments like Geology have been off the grid. I think they have a massive solar system too.

If other departments can follow suit this will drastically reduce the energy load needed to be supplied.

Way to go.

God Bless UNIBEN
God Bless Edo State
God Bless Nigeria.

One of the few sensible comments I've read so far.
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by brightleave(m): 12:04pm On May 20
blackmantis:
How you dey even dey think sef? As if uniben na your compound
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by omsglobal: 12:17pm On May 20
Flier:
STop this nonsense! It might take up to 5 Billion naira to power UNIBEN with solar
Solar isn’t affordable.
I spend 430,000 on diesel everyday after they told me solar that can power my factory will cost 350 million
Imagine just 200kva kva factory
Mind you the life circle of solar battery is 2 years
Infact the solar I use at home 4 battery’s with 8 panels
If you don’t see nepa light to charge it Atleast twice a week it won’t last long again.

What's in your factory that will amount to 350m to setup systems..... 200kva is about 160kwh, is this what you have to spend 350M for? We had Installed a carpentry factory that's runs on 10kw/h equipments, we can give you good deals on 200kva, but that 350m is too much except you are hyping it.... Going solar is affordable and better.
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by atobs4real(m): 3:47pm On May 20
Paraman:
So they no fit apply for prepaid meter for more than 10 years now
Have u ever seen any big organization using prepaid?
The answer is No.
What they used is a transformer and privately used by the institution or organization alone.
My office used to pay 1.2m monthly but now pays 19.8m
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by Collinsemegreat(m): 4:15pm On May 20
blackmantis:

I doubt if it will last. As most students overload with heavy appliances.
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by Greenfaces: 9:39pm On May 20
Love800:
Off grid. So he does not use nepa light?
yes. No nepa at all.

Many people don't know the benefits of engaging educated professionals in solar installation. They just call the cheapest ones. There are factors that determine the life cycle of your batteries and they're not to be undermined.

1. The temperature of the place they're stored. Above 25 degrees, you reduce their life span. So storing batteries inside a generator room or under a staircase with no ventilation will definitely reduce the lifespan

2. The product itself; there are many unnamed products that just erupt everyday In the market. They are imported from India or China just to meet immediate market specification like ampere hour rating ( even though in reality, they're just a smokescreen of what they claim to be because testing the ampere hour rating of a battery before buying it is practically impossible).
These products are usually cheap or fall around the common market prices. Around 250k to 285k presently. They have no online presence, the company has no website or datasheet for you to read the actual product characteristics. So you don't know the number of cycles it has. If you notice, when international NGOs want to give you a solar project, they insist on presenting them with the datasheet, design calculations, return warranty period policies, number of cycles. All these just for future litigation purposes. So a wise engineer will use products that provide such guarantee cover and availability to take responsibility for the failures of their products in the event that it occurs

So if one buys cheap, unknown, open market batteries, and not from company representatives or outlets, the person is exposed to the problem of fake products that have flooded the markets recently. I recommend these batteries; Anern( 5 years warranty, 310k), whc ( 3 years warranty.... I don't know the current price)

3. Charging current and load on it; this is a matter of no small importance. Some engineers can put 16 pieces of 250 watts on a system with just 2 batteries of 200ah and no corresponding load during the day time to ensure the batteries are not been charged with a current more than what is advisable in engineering. To put this in perspective, any system that can charge your battery bank in less than 4hours in Nigeria is actually destroying it and reducing its lifespan.
Same with loading the battery. They have c rating. Putting loads that can drain the batteries so easily within a short period far from the c rating on its datasheet actually destroys it.
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by Love800(m): 12:22pm On May 21
Wow!
Educative!
Intelligent!

Tank you so much.
Greenfaces:
yes. No nepa at all.

Many people don't know the benefits of engaging educated professionals in solar installation. They just call the cheapest ones. There are factors that determine the life cycle of your batteries and they're not to be undermined.

1. The temperature of the place they're stored. Above 25 degrees, you reduce their life span. So storing batteries inside a generator room or under a staircase with no ventilation will definitely reduce the lifespan

2. The product itself; there are many unnamed products that just erupt everyday In the market. They are imported from India or China just to meet immediate market specification like ampere hour rating ( even though in reality, they're just a smokescreen of what they claim to be because testing the ampere hour rating of a battery before buying it is practically impossible).
These products are usually cheap or fall around the common market prices. Around 250k to 285k presently. They have no online presence, the company has no website or datasheet for you to read the actual product characteristics. So you don't know the number of cycles it has. If you notice, when international NGOs want to give you a solar project, they insist on presenting them with the datasheet, design calculations, return warranty period policies, number of cycles. All these just for future litigation purposes. So a wise engineer will use products that provide such guarantee cover and availability to take responsibility for the failures of their products in the event that it occurs

So if one buys cheap, unknown, open market batteries, and not from company representatives or outlets, the person is exposed to the problem of fake products that have flooded the markets recently. I recommend these batteries; Anern( 5 years warranty, 310k), whc ( 3 years warranty.... I don't know the current price)

3. Charging current and load on it; this is a matter of no small importance. Some engineers can put 16 pieces of 250 watts on a system with just 2 batteries of 200ah and no corresponding load during the day time to ensure the batteries are not been charged with a current more than what is advisable in engineering. To put this in perspective, any system that can charge your battery bank in less than 4hours in Nigeria is actually destroying it and reducing its lifespan.
Same with loading the battery. They have c rating. Putting loads that can drain the batteries so easily within a short period far from the c rating on its datasheet actually destroys it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sales Of Auchi Spat Form. / WAEC To Release May/June 2024 WASSCE Results Monday / WOW! These New Skyscrapers Are So Tall, Some Are Even Taller Than Mount Everest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.