Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,824 members, 7,872,772 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 09:31 PM

Which Cms Is Best For School - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Which Cms Is Best For School (5464 Views)

Which CMS Is Best For Building An Online Business Directory? / Which Software Or Cms Is Best For Designing Forum? / Which Cms Is More Secure? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Cms Is Best For School by afrobaby(f): 3:32pm On Nov 23, 2011
Trying to build a website for a school with a forum and also database for teachers to input scores of student and also parents to view their wards details, which cms is the best to use
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by joomlaman(m): 3:48pm On Nov 23, 2011
The direct answer to your question will depend on many factors. However, I will advice you to use the one you can handle best.
Cheers!
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by afrobaby(f): 4:25pm On Nov 23, 2011
@joomlaman, I just need someone who has done similar work to tell me what best to use, u understand shey or better still an open source dedicated for that
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by Nobody: 4:29pm On Nov 23, 2011
Very tough question.
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by afrobaby(f): 5:03pm On Nov 23, 2011
@dhtml, ok, lemme make it easier, which cms wud u use if u wanna design such a webportal
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by Nobody: 5:21pm On Nov 23, 2011
drupal depending on complexity
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by Timileyin(m): 8:39pm On Nov 23, 2011
Yeah, why are you talking about CMS, a CMS is used to generate pages, edit and updates pages in a website. what I think is, because of the complexity of wat you want to do that kind of portal should be developed from scratch. Another option is to develop a website on CMS and write just the script for the portal. Have once done something like that, Its a school management application that proccess student result, works with the busary, does full accounting with an instant messaging system, Crystalhills.org/school/index.cfm is an example of one of my school projects, Theambassadorscollege.com is a CMS school website, Crystalhills.org for more detail and other education applications
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by sayhi2ay(m): 9:04pm On Nov 23, 2011
i have a school management software i developed, maybe i can send you the source if you can set it up yourself. plan to resume maintenance next January
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by lifenigeri: 9:48pm On Nov 23, 2011
There's a lot good cms and forum software for free for you to choose.
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by yamakuza: 11:48pm On Nov 23, 2011
Elgg was made for that.

BuddyPress can be adapted as well.

You can also bridge any other CMS with Moodle GradeBook.
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by umaryusuf(m): 7:59am On Nov 24, 2011
joomlaman:

The direct answer to your question will depend on many factors. However, I will advice you to use the one you can handle best.
Cheers!

This is the honest opinion and answer so far! wink
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by divinetalent(m): 11:27am On Nov 24, 2011
Hi afrobaby, designing and coding a stuff like this needs that u design and code everything from the scratch. However, I think I can aid you, have done a similar more complex job with much features like that.

Meanwhile, if you are serious call me on 08030716751. My recent works are www.idigitgs.com, www.talkem.com, www.myhealthtipsite.com and many more. Call me and I will text ya the link to the portal own. Thanks
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by moderatorr: 11:30am On Nov 24, 2011
JTjTJ.J
sayhi2ay:

i have a school management software i developed, maybe i can send you the source if you can set it up yourself. plan to resume maintenance next January
hey! i have one developed too!
And am preparing for upgrading in december 2011.
You could even click me.
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by afrobaby(f): 3:46pm On Nov 24, 2011
Seeing dis responses , I am really happy, means u guys are really ready to help, I got some hints from someone and I think I may have to go with fedena or open admin, will try them at home first, thanks very much, will disturb everyone of u once U I start
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by afrobaby(f): 3:51pm On Nov 24, 2011
yamakuza, thanks a million times
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by murpheus(m): 10:00am On Nov 25, 2011
Elgg, I am not sure can handle the complexity of such job. You should dig deep into Drupal and work with it.
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by Nobody: 10:43am On Nov 25, 2011
Drupal can handle anything and everything. You can take a look at my site -

www.developers..net
www.blog..net
www.forums..net

I am even constructing an e-classroom at the moment - an improvement over the one i made before,
then i will re-wire my homepage last.

My site is complicated, but drupal plays like 80% of the role, and in a short time too.
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by afrobaby(f): 10:45am On Nov 25, 2011
yamakuza, thx, I will work on fedena tomoro @ and see if i can fully customise it, am not really good at web app development, but will love to do this as my first,
@sayhi2ay, I will give u a call shortly,
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by Nobody: 10:59am On Nov 25, 2011
why do you not want to use the top-cms stuffs? all them joomla, drupal or wordpress? anyway, your choice. I wish you the best.

Another thing you should consider before you use any cms or software or plugin = how many professionals actually use it,
and how easy is it to get help when you get stuck. How well documented is it on google and elsewhere.
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 11:42am On Nov 25, 2011
afrobaby:

Seeing dis responses , I am really happy, means u guys are really ready to help, I got some hints from someone and I think I may have to go with fedena or open admin, will try them at home first, thanks very much, will disturb everyone of u once U I start
Goodluck with the development
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by NumberOne2(m): 12:26pm On Nov 25, 2011
Design a web portal. eg www.theschoolname.com/records.

create accounts for students with passwords. the students and parents can view results, resumption date or news from the school.

then the sub-admin account is for teachers. Each class teacher has admin access to the class records and can modify them.

then the overall admin account. perhaps you or the principal of the school. this can modify anything from student/parent account to teacher account, news and announcements et al.

sql with php/html should take care of this but get your architecture right from the start. all necessary field.
also security and data backup else its useless.

You can throw in a Facebook page for good measure.

Check out the UNIBEN portal.
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by greenmouse(m): 4:44pm On Nov 25, 2011
If you know PHP/MYSQL, I suggest you code this from the scratch.

But I think if you are bent on using a CMS, go for DRUBAL.

Remember you need to search for extensions/plugins.
Best of luck bro.
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by afrobaby(f): 4:59pm On Nov 25, 2011
@greenmouse and number_one, I dont really know sql, that's why i wanna use a cms, I will lay my hands on drupal sha, @greenmouse, it's sis, not bro
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by greenmouse(m): 6:09pm On Nov 25, 2011
@afribaby, Since its a she, I can help you out just ping me on: 227CC2DC, or contact me on 08063786241.

I love helping female web developers, just to encourage them. @dhtml, don't think otherwise oh.
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by Nobody: 6:54pm On Nov 25, 2011
My eyes have been on that babe (for a very long time before she escaped) - good you know i was watching. Well, if you can help her please do (i will ask her later).
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by Naijamann(m): 2:08am On Nov 26, 2011
joomlaman:

Cheers!

to me, this is the best response so far, I seriously laughed at some of the suggested websites/portfolios as most of them are either poorly designed or not even exist.

I dont think there is a particular CMS designed for this purpose, it all depends on which of the CMSs you re very good at.

I think wordpress particularly can do anything with plugins if you know your way round it!

I am just learning wordpress myself, check out the guys @ http://www.rabiadesigns.co.uk/ they can help on this project!
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by rejoice3: 12:48am On Nov 27, 2011
@OP, try Moodle! www.moodle.org
It's based on LAMP (Linux Apache Mysql PHP), very customisable and open source. I used it for my MSc project in 2006 and there had been loads of improvements on it since then.
Good luck (without the 'Jonathan'wink.
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by Nobody: 1:39pm On Nov 27, 2011
You can use Joomla! CMS,its capable of doing anything if you know ways around
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by Chimanet(m): 1:45pm On Nov 27, 2011
@Timileyin
Mr crystahill or wat pls login ur exam processor demo site,, na all this fake cold fusion programmers, na so we go grow for this country ?
http://crystalhills.org/examer/login.cfm?CFID=2433760&CFTOKEN=42569249
Re: Which Cms Is Best For School by afrobaby(f): 11:29am On Nov 28, 2011
@green_mouse, I dont have a BB, what I have is AA, but will ping u on ma husband's BB at home today sha

(1) (2) (Reply)

Adquet Is A SCAM!! Here Is 5 Reasons!! / 5 Reasons Why You Should Choose Adsense Over Affiliate Marketing-Techinfo / Twitter To Start Deleting Tweets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.