Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,224 members, 7,964,002 topics. Date: Wednesday, 02 October 2024 at 04:54 AM

Tribal Culture Will Die - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Tribal Culture Will Die (7562 Views)

Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage / Culture Or Cruelty? Do We Still Need Tribal Marks?(pics) / Tribal Marks Across Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tribal Culture Will Die by Bamaguje: 9:08pm On Nov 25, 2011
Have you heard of intermarriage before?

You cant deny that there will be more intermarriage in the future than now since they all mingle these days.
Re: Tribal Culture Will Die by okooyinbo(m): 9:42pm On Nov 25, 2011
All these small children sha. Look at the one contradicting himself about Germans not being a tribe. Have you studied the Germans? Have you been here? Do you speak our language? Do you know the diferences between Bavarian and Swabs, the Saxons and the Franks? Do you know that these individual German tribes are still in existence till today? Do you know that their languages (dialect to be precise) are still spoken despite the introduction of standard German hundred of years ago?

Another falsity being peddled by these internet hobby researchers is that intermarriage is killing tribal culture (whatever that means?). In the olden days before the Europeans came, were there no intertribal marriages? Why did the villages that warred against each other always kill the males citizen of the conquered villlages, but never their WOMEN?

Children, children! Nairaland and their funny analysis,
Re: Tribal Culture Will Die by anonymous6(f): 10:50pm On Nov 25, 2011
okooyinbo:

Another falsity being peddled by these internet hobby researchers is that intermarriage is killing tribal culture (whatever that means?). In the olden days before the Europeans came, were there no intertribal marriages? Why did the villages that warred against each other always kill the males citizen of the conquered villlages, but never their WOMEN?

You are semi right, and the reason why you are half right is because yes their were inter-tribal marriages way before  the Europeans came and tribal culture stayed in tact, but it was because africans and old world culture respect the rule "who ever the father is that what the kids are" but those inter-tribal marriages were done in small numbers not high numbers. If it was done in high numbers that's where tribal cultures would have disappeared, so this where I feel you were wrong in your explanation. So it depends it is not as clear cut, however I do agree with your analysis that when there was wars between tribes women were spared but not the males because women are the seed to civilizations they are having the babies, raising the children, keepers of the culture and etc. So when there was war women and children were protected while men had to defend their territory.
The issue is it doesn't go by that rule any more like it used to, especially in the western world(in most cases it is reverse).
Re: Tribal Culture Will Die by ezeagu(m): 11:07pm On Nov 25, 2011
okooyinbo:

All these small children sha. Look at the one contradicting himself about Germans not being a tribe. Have you studied the Germans? Have you been here? Do you speak our language? Do you know the diferences between Bavarian and Swabs, the Saxons and the Franks? Do you know that these individual German tribes are still in existence till today? Do you know that their languages (dialect to be precise) are still spoken despite the introduction of standard German hundred of years ago?

So are Germans a tribe, or are Bavarians and the rest a tribe? Also, since you're more knowledgeable about Germany, can you tell us whether Bavaria, Saxony, and the rest of German states are seriously referred to today as tribes and whether people identify with tribes like the Franks and Saxons in modern Germany?
Re: Tribal Culture Will Die by okooyinbo(m): 1:38am On Nov 26, 2011
@Ezeagu,

the questions you are asking have been answered by you and sundry other people. No European tribe refer to themselves als tribe. They refer to themselves as Ethnic groups. In German, the next likely word to the word TRIBE is the word STAMM. The Germans used to refer to their different of Germanic people who lived in the dark ages. Not even medieval people are refered to as TRIBE. Europe has gone past that primitive stage of development, hence the non reference to themselves as TRIBESMEN. The Africans ironically, are yet to emancipate their mind. They are yet to enter a new epoch of rennaisance.
Re: Tribal Culture Will Die by Ufeolorun(m): 8:50am On Nov 26, 2011
Europe has gone past that
primitive stage of development, hence
the non reference to themselves as
TRIBESMEN. The Africans ironically, are
yet to emancipate their mind. They are
yet to enter a new epoch of rennaisance.

There are tribes in Africa and their ethnic groups,You can not refer to Yoruba as a tribe for example. Sometimes the word TRIBE is used loosely basically for demarcation and  does not necessarily mean being primitive.
I don't think racist Europe has an emancipated mind what you basically see is emancipation aided by profiteering and economics remove that and you will  see the German/English man telling the polish to leave cos they are taking 'our' jobs away( so much for European emancipation).
I think you are so giddy about your German/european connection that you made your username reflect it, it must be a huge achievement for you but you don't need to be condescending.
Re: Tribal Culture Will Die by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:06pm On Nov 26, 2011
okooyinbo:

@Ezeagu,

the questions you are asking have been answered by you and sundry other people. No European tribe refer to themselves als tribe. They refer to themselves as Ethnic groups. In German, the next likely word to the word TRIBE is the word STAMM. The Germans used to refer to their different of Germanic people who lived in the dark ages. Not even medieval people are refered to as TRIBE. Europe has gone past that primitive stage of development, hence the non reference to themselves as TRIBESMEN. The Africans ironically, are yet to emancipate their mind. They are yet to enter a new epoch of rennaisance.

SHUT UP FOOL! HOW DARE YOU INSULT US TRIBALS BY CALLING US PRIMITIVE??!!! angry angry angry angry angry angry

YOU COME ON A FORUM CREATED BY A "TRIBAL" AND INSULT US

ALMOST EACH AND EVERY NIGERIAN IS TRIBAL, SO GET THAT INTO YOUR "MODERN" PEA-BRAIN. angry

and stop talking like illiterate. THE EUROPEAN ARE MIXED PEOPLE, SO WHY SHOULD THEY CALL THEMSELVES TRIBALS

FOOL. angry
Re: Tribal Culture Will Die by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:12pm On Nov 26, 2011
THE CHINESE, JAPANESE AND INDANS ARE MOSTLY PURE ETHNIC/TRIBAL PEOPLE, SO WHY CANT WE NIGERIAN PROGRESS LIKE THEM

IT IS BECAUSE WE RUN AFTR WESTERN CULTURE,M ISLAM AND CHRISTIANITY AND HAVE FORGOTTEN OURSELVES UNLIKE THESE 3 GREAT PAGAN NATIONS.

IT IS TIME WE LOOK TOWARDS THE EAST, INSTEAD OF THE WEST.

BUT FIRST, WE MUST LOOK INTO OURSELVES.
Re: Tribal Culture Will Die by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:15pm On Nov 26, 2011
Bamaguje:

Have you heard of intermarriage before?

You cant deny that there will be more intermarriage in the future than now since they all mingle these days.

I deny that statement. the tribes have existed for the past 1000s of years so i dont see any reason why they should suddenly become extinct now after all those years.

WE MUST CONTROL OURSELVES AND INTRODUCE LAWS.
Re: Tribal Culture Will Die by BlackLibya: 4:22pm On Nov 26, 2011

What are u half German? You surely dont talk like a German, you talk like a Nigerian, not just the pidgin you mix with, but your choice of words is very Nigerian and similiar to others on this forum.

Anyway, nothing is primitive about tribes. It's funny you say its primitive while all the time Europeans have us learning about their Anglo Saxons and Vikings in school. We learn their fairy tales and religions, we are taught to take an interest in the Norse gods. In Europe I am sure the students are learning about these very tribes, as they are the background for white supremacists having been the "whitest of whites"
Re: Tribal Culture Will Die by AjanleKoko: 11:29am On Feb 07, 2012
I think it's more of an African renaissance that we need.
Our mindset needs to shift to progressive. African mindset right now is largely conservative (resistant to change, prefers to cling to tribal beliefs and stereotypes), while we still have some primitive beliefs which we need to shed.

For examples, my parents, with all their education, still believe that all non-Yorubas are evil. That's a classic example of tribal stereotype. Even within Yorubaland, you still have all this 'Ijebus are better than Egbas' crap, and people take business decisions based on that!
Re: Tribal Culture Will Die by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:52pm On Feb 07, 2012
^^^I agree those beliefs are wrong and foolish. it is never good to insult other tribes. but that doesnt mean we should destroy our tribal culture by marrying other tribes.
Re: Tribal Culture Will Die by AjanleKoko: 9:05am On Feb 08, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

^^^I agree those beliefs are wrong and foolish. it is never good to insult other tribes. but that doesnt mean we should destroy our tribal culture by marrying other tribes.

Then we will never progress.
If Irish-Americans can marry Italian-Americans, why should Yorubas not be able to marry Igbos?
Such beliefs are the reason for our current stagnation. We need to break free of those beliefs.
Re: Tribal Culture Will Die by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:09pm On Feb 08, 2012
AjanleKoko:

If Irish-Americans can marry Italian-Americans, why should Yorubas not be able to marry Igbos?
Such beliefs are the reason for our current stagnation. We need to break free of those beliefs.

^^^^thank you for giving this wonderful example. the americans are such a hybrid, plastic nation. they are the result of inbreeding amongst so many races, i.e., iris, scottish, british, german, french, native and even black. As a result they have lost all their culture and are the most moralless nation in the world.

ga.y-sex. HIV-AIDS, por.nographic films and dirty movies, extensive prostitu.ion, disrespect for the elders(for e.g., the americans are well known for calling elders by name), drug-abuse, child abuse, se.xual abuse, immorality, etc all are rampant and have spread from the americas. the americans have also estroyed so many nations and lives of people. why else do you thing Africans and Asians dont like america??

this is what cultural breakdown brings to us. we can do whatever we want in this world to an extent, but our duty towards tribe comes first.

To progress, we must first change our slave mentality and stop following the west which has brought us only doom. we must learn from the east by being OURSELVES.
Re: Tribal Culture Will Die by AjanleKoko: 2:15pm On Feb 08, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

^^^^thank you for giving this wonderful example. the americans are such a hybrid, plastic nation. they are the result of inbreeding amongst so many races, i.e., iris, scottish, british, german, french, native and even black. As a result they have lost all their culture and are the most moralless nation in the world.

ga.y-sex. HIV-AIDS, por.nographic films and dirty movies, extensive prostitu.ion, disrespect for the elders(for e.g., the americans are well known for calling elders by name), drug-abuse, child abuse, se.xual abuse, immorality, etc all are rampant and have spread from the americas. the americans have also estroyed so many nations and lives of people. why else do you thing Africans and Asians dont like america??

this is what cultural breakdown brings to us. we can do whatever we want in this world to an extent, but our duty towards tribe comes first.

To progress, we must first change our slave mentality and stop following the west which has brought us only doom. we must learn from the east by being OURSELVES.

I think I see your point, but intermarriage between tribes in Nigeria isn't harmful.
If we all stay within our various tribes, there is no real basis for the unity of this nation. Right now, some people are asking some other people to leave their boundaries. You can imagine if we all stayed within our tribal and religious divisions. Crisis would not be far off. Egba would fight Ijebu, Ishan would fight Bini, and so on. Tensions would keep escalating.

I also appreciate your use of the East as an example, China is 80% Han Chinese (Mandarin speakers). If the East had the kind of complex cultural heterogeneity that we have in Africa, they would not make much progress either. You should read Belo's book 'Black Africa and the dilemma of multi-nationalism'. I believe tribes need to merge.
Re: Tribal Culture Will Die by anonymous6(f): 5:07pm On Feb 08, 2012
AjanleKoko:

I think I see your point, but intermarriage between tribes in Nigeria isn't harmful.
If we all stay within our various tribes, there is no real basis for the unity of this nation. Right now, some people are asking some other people to leave their boundaries. You can imagine if we all stayed within our tribal and religious divisions. Crisis would not be far off. Egba would fight Ijebu, Ishan would fight Bini, and so on. Tensions would keep escalating.

I also appreciate your use of the East as an example, China is 80% Han Chinese (Mandarin speakers). If the East had the kind of complex cultural heterogeneity that we have in Africa, they would not make much progress either. You should read Belo's book 'Black Africa and the dilemma of multi-nationalism'. I believe tribes need to merge.

economically I agree but Culturally I don't, however it is inevitable for the small tribes of Africa, I remember reading article years ago that the small tribes in Nigeria in the future will eventually disappear and assimilate into the larger tribes but larger tribes I don't see merging with other larger tribes. I feel tribal culture is what makes africa culturally what it is if it wasn't for that we wouldn't have our customs, language and etc, something that black diasporians long for and have lost that now they have to accept the white mans culture and ways, especially for african americans(all they have now is racial culture, which is in directly isn't culture at all); that it is affecting them now in areas of that community.

AjanleKoko:

I was born and raised in America from Nigerian parents and Irish and italian americans don't marry each others in droves; however they do marry each other compared to other white ethnicities but in America race overides culture in America. It is easy at times for whites of different ethnicities to marry each other because most white americans are of mixed ethnicities now, at least the majority of them but these same people would hesitate to marry a Black american that is in the same country. America really has no culture just racial culture or recent immigrant culture. So white americans are not the best example

Also I would like to add that I am freinds with some white people, and they just don't marry any whites. One of my friends is half italian american/irish american and both sides of the family were not happy when her parents married. I have another friend that is german and she would never marry a white american, and certain white europeans except Russians, Italians, Germans for example. I have another white friend that is polish and would only marry polish men. So lets not hype it up with whites to they are not as inclined either it depends on the nation, they are just not as vocal like Blacks are about it.

I going to be honest most of the countries in Africa that are rich in culture and haven't been wiped out are the ones that still have their tribal culture in intact, that is why some parts of southern africa are worst off now. Ghana has rich tribal cultural but they are living in peace economically and with each other, so I see nothing wrong with it. Nigeria's problem is mostly has to do with greed and religion if those two problems are fixed Nigeria would be peaceful because Nigerians outside of nairaland don't fight over tribal issues, they are ok marrying from their own. I am not saying inter-tribal marriage doesn't exist in Nigeria because it does but it isn't the majority and marriages won't change anything because in Nigeria and most african countries who ever the father is(the father is around 99% of the time) that is the culture the kids turn into, i have cousins like that and know people like that. so it comes down to the samething, it won't disappear.
Re: Tribal Culture Will Die by BlackLibya: 3:07am On Feb 09, 2012
most african countries who ever the father is(the father is around 99% of the time)

In Ghana, Senegal, and amongst many Berbers its whoever the mother is. But anyway, I talked to a congolese in Austria and she said that the African men just stick it in whatever and leave.
Re: Tribal Culture Will Die by anonymous6(f): 5:08am On Feb 09, 2012
BlackLibya:

In Ghana, Senegal, and amongst many Berbers its whoever the mother is. But anyway, I talked to a congolese in Austria and she said that the African men just stick it in whatever and leave.

If you read my statement again I said most not all, so it comes down to the same thing; when it comes to Ghana well it is only the Ashanti tribe that follows that rule but the other tribes like the Ewe from what I heard is different. When it comes to Senegal and the berbers well I will take your word for it but they don't represent most of the african countries and in the end of the day they will follow one side any way despite the fact that this time it is the mothers culture instead.

I don't know what the Congolese story has to do with what I said but that news is nothing new especially the ones that are looking for citizenship, so that doesn't surprise me and many of them already have wives back in their countries any way. Lastly their are not many Nigerians in Austria, so I wonder which african men(country/nationality) she is talking about
Re: Tribal Culture Will Die by Ptolomeus(m): 9:03pm On Feb 09, 2012
Very respectfully,
It does not seem to associate the culture of corruption is a good starting point.
I think they have very simplistic example, a topic which is actually very complex. I think in all walks of life are the people who fail. I do not think fair to judge tradition so some might have done wrong ,
In all spheres of life there are no honest people honest, ethical and corrupt, and that has nothing to do with tradition or religion you profess.
Certainly we know that in all America have spread African religious cults, and with them (because it is inseparable) is also a philosophy of life.
These traditions have been kept alive by the slaves, and transmitted from generation to generation orally. in the most deplorable conditions, with their language, their customs, their religion, and even his name forbidden ,
I doubt very much that something like this go away.
But this is just my very humble opinion.
I hope I have offended anyone.
My sincere regards to all!
Re: Tribal Culture Will Die by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:34pm On Feb 12, 2012
AjanleKoko:

what about India? They have millions of tribes, ethnicities and even religions, yet there progress is so dramatic. in the last 5 years itself, nearly 250 million people were brought out of acute poverty. their growth rate is massive and 3 of the top 10 richest men in the world are Indian. The Han Chinese on the other hand are a pure full-blooded ethnic group. as a result, they are able to relate and work together as a strong cohesive force. also there are some other reasons for their success which i cannot discuss here due to its sensitive nature and you people wont believe me either ways, but i know i am right. i have proof.

@anonymous6, ALL white people are mixed. they have lost heir tribes and culture after the onslaught of christianity. the tribes such as the Saxons, franks, Jutes, etc are now EXTINCT.
Re: Tribal Culture Will Die by AjanleKoko: 12:21am On Feb 13, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

what about India? They have millions of tribes, ethnicities and even religions, yet there progress is so dramatic. in the last 5 years itself, nearly 250 million people were brought out of acute poverty. their growth rate is massive and 3 of the top 10 richest men in the world are Indian. The Han Chinese on the other hand are a pure full-blooded ethnic group. as a result, they are able to relate and work together as a strong cohesive force. also there are some other reasons for their success which i cannot discuss here due to its sensitive nature and you people wont believe me either ways, but i know i am right. i have proof.

Agreed. However, India also has probably the poorest people in the world, maybe even poorer than Africa.
They are also held back by corruption, nepotism, and a very inefficient government. If we want to talk growth, Nigeria's economy is also growing, if we want to look at it in that way. I daresay the social problems in India far outstrip anything we are seeing in Africa.
Re: Tribal Culture Will Die by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:43pm On Feb 14, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Agreed. However, India also has probably the poorest people in the world, maybe even poorer than Africa.
They are also held back by corruption, nepotism, and a very inefficient government. If we want to talk growth, Nigeria's economy is also growing, if we want to look at it in that way. I daresay the social problems in India far outstrip anything we are seeing in Africa.

you need to read the newspaper and take economics classes. thats all i say. you talk about the India in the 70s. i am not very fond of democracy but India us the largest and most efficient democracy in the world e=inspite of being riddled with corruption. and i dont think i need to go into details of large-scale development spanning India and China. tongue

and its not just India. other Asian nations are progressing rapidly too.
Re: Tribal Culture Will Die by AjanleKoko: 5:16pm On Feb 14, 2012
PAGAN  9JA:

you need to read the newspaper and take economics classes. thats all i say. you talk about the India in the 70s. i am not very fond of democracy but India us the largest and most efficient democracy in the world e=inspite of being riddled with corruption. and i dont think i need to go into details of large-scale development spanning India and China. tongue

and its not just India. other Asian nations are progressing rapidly too.

Well, I have travelled extensively within India.
Have you ever been to India, China, or any Asian country? Or is it CNN documentaries and newspapers you're relying on?
Efficient democracy? shocked Largest democracy, yes. But they are the second largest country in the world behind China. You don't need to be an economics whiz to know that.

Your last post is quite condescending.
Re: Tribal Culture Will Die by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:29pm On Feb 15, 2012
yes i have travelled to North-Eastern India AND China as well as Borneo, Sumatra, Indonesia and Myanmar. and also they are not the second largest country in the world. They just have the second largest population.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Join This Group Today: Lilo Ewe Ati Egbo Ati Eranko (herbs; The Magic Healer) / Nzuko Ndigbo! / An Ijebu Boy And His City (with exclusive city pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.