Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,665 members, 7,885,738 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 02:28 PM

Open Letter To Seun About Thread Creation Moderation - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Open Letter To Seun About Thread Creation Moderation (85 Views)

Open Letter To Seun About Freestuffsng And Tribalism / Open Letter To Seun About Uncheck Violations By Leodeking/Omenka/Simplyleo / Kudos To Seun As He Cleanses Nairaland. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Open Letter To Seun About Thread Creation Moderation by PrinceofSarcasm: 8:36am On May 23
Dear Seun,

I hope this letter finds you well. As a concerned member of the Nairaland community and a passionate advocate for Nigeria's international reputation, I am writing to discuss an important issue that I believe requires immediate attention: the moderation of thread creation on Nairaland.

Nairaland has long been a vibrant and influential platform, serving as a hub for Nigerians and people interested in Nigeria to exchange ideas, share news, and discuss various topics. However, in recent times, there has been a noticeable increase in the creation of threads that are baseless, uncivilized, and crude. These types of topics not only degrade the quality of discourse on the forum but also tarnish Nigeria's image on the global stage.

Foreigners and potential investors often turn to platforms like Nairaland to gain insights into the social, economic, and political climate of Nigeria. Unfortunately, when they encounter threads filled with misinformation, vulgarity, and trivial content, it paints a distorted and negative picture of our country. This not only undermines the efforts of those working hard to promote a positive image of Nigeria but also hampers our progress as a nation.

A recent example is the thread titled "When You See a Serious Governor, You'll Know"
https://www.nairaland.com/8101862/when-see-serious-governor-youll -Threads like these, which lack substance and contribute little to meaningful discourse, should not be the face of Nairaland.

To address this issue, I propose implementing a more stringent moderation process for thread creation. Specifically, I suggest that new topics should not be visible to the public until they have been reviewed and approved by a super moderator. This additional layer of scrutiny will significantly reduce the prevalence of nonsensical and inappropriate threads, ensuring that only content that meets a certain standard of quality and relevance is made public.

By adopting this approach, Nairaland can maintain its position as a reputable and influential forum, fostering constructive discussions that reflect the true potential and character of Nigeria and its people. It will also create a more welcoming and informative environment for both Nigerian and international users, enhancing the forum's credibility and appeal.

I understand that moderating a platform of Nairaland's size is no small feat, but I believe that with the right processes and dedicated moderators, we can achieve this goal. I am confident that these changes will contribute significantly to improving the overall quality of the forum and, by extension, the perception of Nigeria worldwide.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to seeing Nairaland continue to grow and thrive as a beacon of positive and productive discourse.

Humbly,

The PrinceofSarcasm

CC Seun Mynd44 Nlfpmod Fergie001 dominique
Re: Open Letter To Seun About Thread Creation Moderation by immortalcrown(m): 8:37am On May 23
I agree with you. But the additional layer of scrutiny suggested in your letter seems unachievable now, considering the size of traffic to the forum. On average, no minute without a new topic created on this forum. I doubt Seun can afford the needed number of super mods for that level of scrutiny.
Re: Open Letter To Seun About Thread Creation Moderation by PrinceofSarcasm: 8:58am On May 23
immortalcrown:
I agree with you. But the additional layer of scrutiny suggested in your letter seems unachievable now considering the size of traffic to the forum. I doubt Seun can afford the needed number of super mods for that level of scrutiny. On average, a new topic is created on the forum every minute.

Thank you for your insightful response. You raise a valid point regarding the feasibility of implementing an additional layer of scrutiny, given the high volume of traffic and the frequency of new thread creation on Nairaland.

Perhaps an alternative approach could be considered, such as leveraging community reporting and automated moderation tools to flag inappropriate or low-quality threads for review. This way, the burden on super moderators could be reduced, while still maintaining a level of quality control that aligns with the goals i outlined earlier . Finding a balance between effective moderation and practical implementation is crucial for sustaining the forum's reputation and fostering meaningful discussions.

Your perspective adds depth to the conversation, and it's essential to explore all viable options to enhance the Nairaland experience for all users. Thank you for contributing to this important discussion.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Igbo Ladies Not Great For Marriage’ – Speed Darlington / Punjabi Paranda Online | Punjabi Jewellery Australia / Thank You Ibadan, You Guys Are On Fire!! Massive Registration Everywhere.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.