Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,363 members, 7,910,851 topics. Date: Sunday, 04 August 2024 at 06:15 PM

Marshall Abigail Katung, Emerges As The First Black African Mayor Of UK City - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Marshall Abigail Katung, Emerges As The First Black African Mayor Of UK City (332 Views)

Uruemu Adejinmi Elected As Mayor In Ireland (First Black African Woman) / Dapo Abiodun Decorates Soyinka As Amotekun Super Marshall / Kaduna Guber: As PDP Settles For Ashiru/katung Ticket (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marshall Abigail Katung, Emerges As The First Black African Mayor Of UK City by grassrootsig: 1:54pm On May 25
HONOURED TO WITNESS THE EMERGENCE OF HER EXCELLENCY ABIGAIL MARSHALL KATUNG AS THE FIRST BLACK AFRICAN AND 130TH LORD MAYOR OF LEEDS.

On Thursday May 23, 2024, in the City of Leeds, United Kingdom, I joined the Senate Leadership to witness the emergence of Her Excellency Abigail Marshall Katung as the first black African and 130th Lord Mayor of Leeds.

During the event, I commended Her Excellency Mrs Abigail for her steadfastness and dedication to public service which earned her the esteemed position. I further congratulated her and her husband, Senator Sunday Marshall and emphasized the importance of diversity and representation in leadership roles. I also took the opportunity to highlight the need for more diversity in leadership positions across all sectors, and to encourage other women and minorities to pursue their ambitions and strive for positions of influence and power.

Speaking further at the event which was also attended by the Nigerian Senate Minority Leader, Senator Abba Moro who represented the Senate President, Godswill Akpabio, over twenty-seven Senators, Nigerian House of Representatives Speaker, Rt Hon Tajudeen Abbas, former House of Representatives Speaker, Rt Hon Yakubu Dogara, Nigerian High Commissioner to United Kingdom, Kaduna State Governor Uba Sani, Bayelsa State Governor, Douye Diri, and Most Rev Matthew Kuka, I expressed my confidence in Her Excellency Abigail Marshall Katung's ability to lead Leeds with grace and excellence, and prayed for success in her endeavours to make the city a better place for all its residents and make Nigerians proud.

Her Excellency Abigail Marshall Katung's appointment as the Lord Mayor of Leeds is a historic moment not only for the city and United Kingdom, but also for Nigeria. As a black African woman, I am confident that she will bring a unique perspective and experience to the role, and I have no doubt that she will serve the people of Leeds with integrity, compassion, and dedication.

Senator (Dr) Ifeanyi Ubah, CON
Anambra South Senatorial District

Re: Marshall Abigail Katung, Emerges As The First Black African Mayor Of UK City by grassrootsig: 2:00pm On May 25
HER EXCELLENCY ABIGAIL MARSHALL KATUNG AS THE FIRST BLACK AFRICAN AND 130TH LORD MAYOR OF LEEDS.

Re: Marshall Abigail Katung, Emerges As The First Black African Mayor Of UK City by grassrootsig: 2:24pm On May 25
Marshall Abigail Katung, Emerges As The First Black African Mayor Of UK City

Re: Marshall Abigail Katung, Emerges As The First Black African Mayor Of UK City by turmacs(f): 2:26pm On May 25
Of what benefit is this news to us? undecided She has become a Mayor in the UK, So? How will that help us? One of the reasons black people celebrate things like this is because they believe the person will use their position to help them, even if it means cheating the system, that's one of the reasons our continent is like this. Una dey think sey una go fit carry system of padi-padi go overseas grin Lolzz
Re: Marshall Abigail Katung, Emerges As The First Black African Mayor Of UK City by happney65: 2:26pm On May 25
Aha!

Nigerian people want to take over UK o. Infact in this regard it is Hausa people that want to take over the UK o. That is how they used to do.always talking anyhow and wanting to take everywhere.

Abusing Rishi Sunak.

Aha!

Those Nigerian heen.. grin grin grin

This is for those that were shouting Igbo people wanted to take over Lagos in the last election

Awon oloshi
Re: Marshall Abigail Katung, Emerges As The First Black African Mayor Of UK City by grassrootsig: 2:49pm On May 25
turmacs:
Of what benefit is this news to us? undecided She has become a Mayor in the UK, So? How will that help us? One of the reasons black people celebrate things like this is because they believe the person will use their position to help them, even if it means cheating the system, that's one of the reasons our continent is like this. Una dey think sey una go fit carry system of padi-padi go overseas grin Lolzz

One expected you to first and foremost, congratulate her for this historical achievement, because it's not easy to win an election, even an ordinary community president general.
Re: Marshall Abigail Katung, Emerges As The First Black African Mayor Of UK City by yarimo(m): 2:58pm On May 25
No bragging or boasting oo . Meanwhile congratulations ma
Re: Marshall Abigail Katung, Emerges As The First Black African Mayor Of UK City by yarimo(m): 3:00pm On May 25
turmacs:
as per she doesn't have boasting and bragging in her DNA her achievement is useless to you
Re: Marshall Abigail Katung, Emerges As The First Black African Mayor Of UK City by EmperorCaesar(m): 3:08pm On May 25
I've seen more people of different ethnic identity emerge as top political holders in the UK than I've seen people from other SE states emerge for top positions in another SE state grin cheesy cheesy

Even intertribal acceptance no dey for here
Re: Marshall Abigail Katung, Emerges As The First Black African Mayor Of UK City by Immatex(m): 8:20am On May 26
My wife was with her last week as part of her work engagement.

I usually see her and other ward councillors inspecting ongoing city beautiful projects.

Here politicians work not loot. Her husband is a Senator and most likely sponsored the after party they held in the city centre with lots of senators from Nigeria. I do hope as senator he can help his constituents by mirroring the services Leeds city council provide for residents here and not just celebrating the wife.

(1) (Reply)

David Hundeyin Proposal On Obidients Joining Structure Of Criminality / Tinubu Hails $5m Boost To Foreign Reserves As Milestone In Renewed Hope Agenda / If Cable Cars Are Introduced In Nigeria,some Comments Reactions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.