Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,340 members, 7,881,249 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 03:11 PM

Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid (3420 Views)

Buhari Withdraws Ibeto From Ministerial List - Vanguard / Sabo Mohammed-Nakudu Withdraws Vote Of Confidence On Saraki / 30 Dead In Triple Boko Haram Attacks In Maiduguri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by Jakumo(m): 1:14pm On Nov 24, 2011
Intercepted SOS phone calls originating from Shagamu, Ogun State, Nigeria, indicate that a simultaneous TRIPLE bank robbery just wrapped up on this 24th day of November 2011 , leaving numerous dead and dying bystanders in its wake.

Speculation is rife that the unique brutality with which civilians were randomly shot dead during this and other recent robberies is indicative of motives far removed from those of normal criminals.     Nigeria's growing Islamic terror gang, Boko Haram, which had previously restricted its activities to the arid north of the country, is now believed to be engaged in high-casualty bank robberies throughout the federation.

Today's multiple bank robbery was apparently announced to security agencies in the town of Shagamu a day prior to the attack, leading the local vigilante group to step up joint vehicular patrols with the police and a few drafted soldiers.   Those combined security forces were, however, no match for the military-grade firepower brought to the party by the gang, which forced every living being within earshot of the barrage to flee or hunker down and take cover wherever they could find it.   

Gone are the days when Nigerian bank robbers permitted spectators to gather on the street and applaud their heists.   Beginning only a couple of months ago, the new breed of bank robbers invading Nigeria's Christian south have opened up with indiscriminate auto-rifle and RPG fire on all structures, vehicles and pedestrians within range.   That sudden change for the infinitely worse points to the actions of a terrorist gang raising funds for insurgency, while deliberately sowing deep primal fear in the hearts of citizens and security operatives in all towns plundered.
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by Bawss1(m): 1:24pm On Nov 24, 2011
Jakumo:

Intercepted SOS phone calls originating from Shagamu, Ogun State, Nigeria, indicate that a simultaneous TRIPLE bank robbery just wrapped up on this 24th day of November 2011 , leaving numerous dead and dying bystanders in its wake.

The emboldened gave this piece away as satire - nobody intercepts phone calls in these parts. grin
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by Jakumo(m): 1:27pm On Nov 24, 2011
Read Nigerian newspapers papers tomorow morning, Oga Bawss, and then tell me if you still feel the same.
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by Bawss1(m): 1:34pm On Nov 24, 2011
Perhaps what I should say is that I hope is not true. My bad
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by edoyad(m): 1:42pm On Nov 24, 2011
This year‘s harmattan seems a little colder than usual, meteorologists suspect boko haram is behind it. Also, the meat in the mama puts are a bit tougher, butchers suspect boko haram undecided
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by Jakumo(m): 1:55pm On Nov 24, 2011
Edoyad, it is way too early to declare that Boko Haram is NOT a contributing factor that would explain WHY Nigerian bank robbery gunmen have suddenly taken to killing innocent bystanders who did not obstruct the progress of such attacks in any way.   

It is highly unusual for Nigerian bank robbers to randomly shoot people standing around or running away.  This new bloodthirsty method of operation was demonstrated in a university last week, just one half-hour's drive from the town where today's multiple raids took place.   Five students were shot dead when banks located in that university campus were raided, for no other reason than the fact that they were within range and had failed to take cover.  Let us bear in mind that one of the stated objectives of the Boko Haram Islamic terror group has been to ABOLISH western education throughout Nigeria, by force of arms.

This gratuitous killing, during the course of un-opposed bank raids, is not typical in any way, folks, so it would be optimistic to PRESUME that terrorism is not a factor, simply because responsibility for this crime wave has so far not been claimed by any organized body.
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by Bawss1(m): 2:47pm On Nov 24, 2011
In other words this report is conjectural?

BH is a clear and present threat no doubt but in cases like this we should be careful not to feed their reputation with unsubstantiated reports. Stories like these only play to their favor.
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by Jakumo(m): 3:29pm On Nov 24, 2011
There was nothing imaginary about what went down in that town, Bawws.  The numerous injured bystanders who ultimately survive their gunshot wounds will certainly remember today as one of pure, unrelenting terror, while the dead have become alarming statistics that describe an entirely new level of brutality being inflicted by bandit militias, who in the past were clinical and merciful to onlookers during the course of their robbery operations. 

The only conjecture I will concede centers on the IDENTITIES AND MOTIVES of these terrorist gangs now raiding banks in southern Nigeria, and what on earth they could possibly hope to achieve by using bystanders for target practice with military hardware.    The reputation of Boko Haram is blood-soaked enough already, so there is no harm engaging in a little deductive reasoning with respect to their next level of escalation, and whether these recent bank robberies are in fact the handwork of terrorists rather than mere thieves, as growing numbers of observers now suspect.
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by BIGERBOY1: 3:55pm On Nov 24, 2011
JAKUMO, haba i thought you were smatter than this now,

so every tom dick and harry criminal is now BH? I now see why the SSS came up with their wild goose chase, because they knew they will have pple to believe such crap.

and since when were certain acts more criminal than others? just because robbers used to rob bank without killing anyone (which is far fetched) it means they are SW approved robbers while the latest is NE approved or BH? what a way of deductive reasoning

when news papers published some times back some travellers who were trampled upon with luxirious bus by armed robbers because they had no money on them, so they were also BH robbers.

they say if you know your problem you are half way already to solving it. But it seems some pple dont have the slightest idea what our problems are?
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by koruji(m): 3:57pm On Nov 24, 2011
It is clear that those conducting this "war" are well-trained and familiar with the abject nature of the Nigerian security apparatus. As I once said, BH is leading GEJ's "clueless" government by the nose, dictating the pace and nature of this war.

Jakumo:

There was nothing imaginary about what went down in that town, Bawws.  The numerous injured bystanders who ultimately survive their gunshot wounds will certainly remember today as one of pure, unrelenting terror, while the dead have become alarming statistics that describe an entirely new level of brutality being inflicted by bandit militias, who in the past were clinical and merciful to onlookers during the course of their robbery operations. 

The only conjecture I will concede centers on the IDENTITIES AND MOTIVES of these terrorist gangs now raiding banks in southern Nigeria, and what on earth they could possibly hope to achieve by using bystanders for target practice with military hardware.    The reputation of Boko Haram is blood-soaked enough already, so there is no harm engaging in a little deductive reasoning with respect to their next level of escalation, and whether these recent bank robberies are in fact the handwork of terrorists rather than mere thieves, as growing numbers of observers now suspect.
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by koruji(m): 4:08pm On Nov 24, 2011
You are obviously not paying attention to the unprecedented "characteristics" of this particular robbey as described by Jakumo.

The operation was related to security agencies ahead of time - that is unheard of armed robbery anywhere in Nigeria to relay attacks on a town in advance. It is the signature of those who are not interested in just the money, but the additional "terror" effect. They want to be seen as carrying out the act. They do not care to live to spend their loot. If you have being paying attention, you would have noticed that BH has been using armed robbery to supplement its funding up north for a while. Their last attempt in the north was to attack and destroy a police station, then move on to a bank whose vault they failed to break into.

Meanwhile, Abuja is falling over the capture of the BH "spokesman" - which of no real consequence, and in fact may be further BH agenda by getting at politicians that started all these in the first place but have now turned against BH.

BIGER BOY:

JAKUMO, haba i thought you were smatter than this now,

so every tom Joystick and harry criminal is now BH? I now see why the SSS came up with their wild goose chase, because they knew they will have pple to believe such crap.

and since when were certain acts more criminal than others? just because robbers used to rob bank without killing anyone (which is far fetched) it means they are SW approved robbers while the latest is NE approved or BH? what a way of deductive reasoning

when news papers published some times back some travellers who were trampled upon with luxirious bus by armed robbers because they had no money on them, so they were also BH robbers.

they say if you know your problem you are half way already to solving it. But it seems some pple dont have the slightest idea what our problems are?
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by BIGERBOY1: 4:32pm On Nov 24, 2011
as much as i respect your concern, i still dont buy that logic.

even in the up north u talk about, lots of crime go on unchecked due to the lazy azz law enforcement authorities and to some extent electorate. these days in other to shelve further investigation every crime is just generalized as BH, case closed! yes there are BH crimes and there are the usual political assasinations, bank robbery etc and other crimes that have here with us since b4 BH. but if we continue to support this lazy azz popos by acepting hook line and sinker without investigation or infact evidence that every crime can be conviniently called BH, then we r in for a long one.

going by the logic, BH normaly clames responsibility they dont need romour mongerers for that, and if they need money couldnt they have conviniently make 'withdrawals' up north, or is the bank the most populated place for mass maiming, or is thier plan to drive with all that cash back up north, or deposit it in the nearest bank of the north?

common lets not encourage lazy policing by our security outfits, lets demand progress of investigations, and evidence for claims,
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by Bawss1(m): 4:44pm On Nov 24, 2011
BIGER BOY:

even in the up north u talk about, lots of crime go on unchecked due to the lazy azz law enforcement authorities and to some extent electorate. these days in other to shelve further investigation every crime is just generalized as BH, case closed! yes there are BH crimes and there are the usual political assasinations, bank robbery etc and other crimes that have here with us since b4 BH. but if we continue to support this lazy azz popos by acepting hook line and sinker without investigation or infact evidence that every crime can be conviniently called BH, then we r in for a long one.

going by the logic, BH normaly clames responsibility they dont need romour mongerers for that, and if they need money couldnt they have conviniently make 'withdrawals' up north, or is the bank the most populated place for mass maiming, or is thier plan to drive with all that cash back up north, or deposit it in the nearest bank of the north?

common lets not encourage lazy policing by our security outfits, lets demand progress of investigations, and evidence for claims,

The thought of turban clad terrorists jam packed in a truck with bags of cash driving wildly to the north just to make a deposit cracked me up. cheesy grin
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by Olowojegure: 5:03pm On Nov 24, 2011
How can you be calling a criminal syndicate an Islamic group! You should know that they are two different thing, probably you are one of those desperate christain propagandalist. Sorry o! I dont intend to insult you.
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by koruji(m): 5:07pm On Nov 24, 2011
Of course there is no conclusive evidence that this is BH. However, BH doesn't always issue claims for all their attacks - mainly the really big ones that ganner international attention. Several months ago there was a similar commando-like "road robbery" in Osun State, and those who witnessed it described the assailants as non-SW (in fact the words used were Fulanis) who used highly sophisticated weapons.

The BH group has obviously spawned into its own franchise with the political and religious elements being the dominant ones. I also believe that a part of this group consists of fifth columnist from the Nigerian armed forces - it is this group that seems to be the one responsible for the armed-robbery like attacks, the political element are going after the police and politicians, with the religious element (being the most dangerous) accounting for the big attacks. All in all, however, I think they are operating as branches of a common top-level comand structure.

Also, recall that Mike Obi's father who was kidnapped in the SE was found up north - and those responsible were soldiers. So, yes they can drive their loot up north just like they drove him up north.

I am afraid that we are dealing with a more virulent group than our clueless government is capable of appreciating - with all the "intelligence" apparatus at their disposal they are still throwing darts at the board to follow BH's trail.

BIGER BOY:

Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by koruji(m): 5:11pm On Nov 24, 2011
There is not much difference once you engage in violence as a means of settling conflict. al qaeda is an islamic group and a criminal syndicate, so is BH.

Olowojègúrè:

How can you be calling a criminal syndicate an Islamic group! You should know that they are two different thing, probably you are one of those desperate christain propagandalist. Sorry o! I dont intend to insult you.
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by freepeople: 5:13pm On Nov 24, 2011
Jakumo:

Intercepted SOS phone calls originating from Shagamu, Ogun State, Nigeria,

Who intercepted the phone call?
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by Olowojegure: 5:26pm On Nov 24, 2011
Very soon the Americans will invade nigeria once it perceive that that Nigeria is no longer being a loyal slave or any chronic threat that may obstruct the flow of oil from Nigeria to the United State. I know you these mugu will sit down and be looking at them
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by koruji(m): 5:36pm On Nov 24, 2011
The Americans did not invade Nigerian when ND militants almost shut down the oil industry - they don't have to invade Nigeria as long as the military can handle it.

However, they will invade Nigeria if the BH menace successfully goes international and attack American interests - even here it would only happen if our government is unwilling or unable to go after the perpetrators.

I don't know why you are so concerned about a potential invasion, and not the unreasonable blowing up of innocent lives and property that is gradually invading the nation. I am afraid you are mixing yourself up because of sentiments. Groups like al qaeda, BH, Taliban, etc are not true muslims - if the definition of a true muslim that I have heard over and over are true.

The fact is that these groups lead to the ghastly death of more innocent muslims than any other.

Olowojègúrè:

Very soon the Americans will invade nigeria once it perceive that that Nigeria is no longer being a loyal slave or any chronic threat that may obstruct the flow of oil from Nigeria to the United State. I know you these mugu will sit down and be looking at them
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by freezy(m): 7:30pm On Nov 24, 2011
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by koruji(m): 7:32pm On Nov 24, 2011
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by freezy(m): 7:36pm On Nov 24, 2011
^^^

Amended sir. Thanks for the observation.
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by ektbear: 7:45pm On Nov 24, 2011
3, nearly 4 banks robbed like that?

More firepower than local police + vigilante group + bank security?

Sounds nuts.

Whoever it is, I think at this point the state needs to step in and take it seriously.
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by Jakumo(m): 8:18pm On Nov 24, 2011
By the miracle of modern technology and the Global Village, I can share this exclusive blow-by-blow account of the Thanksgiving Day turkey shoot that went down in Shagamu, Nigeria on November 24, 2011.  

Eyewitness accounts from the scene of today's carnage describe an operation conducted with clockwork coordination and overwhelming force of military arms.  Interestingly, smoke grenades were deployed at one or more of the bank locations set upon by this large, well-equipped gang.   Under cover of the resultant curtain of dense white smoke from the grenades, demolition explosives were used to remove the entire front walls from each of the three targetted banks, exposing the bank lobbies to the street outside, whereupon technicians moved in and detonated more charges to blow vault doors off.

Along with this first-time use of smoke grenades to obscure the view of bank raids in progress, one or more long-range snipers accompanied the gang on this foray, placing shots from distances estimated at several hundred yards, which killed the driver of an approaching vigilante group vehicle, and shattered the leg of the group leader sitting beside the dead driver, to the utter disbelief of witnesses.   With the available police teams having fled the scene when the first dynamite charges went off, and the bullet-proof magic talismans worn by the vigilante leader so dramatically exposed to be absolutely ineffective, all remaining vigilante men fell back in panic, leaving the field open for the gang to load up a dedicated SUV with heavy bales of cash from the bank vaults.

With the afternoon's agenda concluded to the satisfaction of the invaders, they departed, firing continuously as they slowly drove off in three vehicles - a sedan loaded down with the bulk ammunition supply, a passenger bus to carry the large contingent of gunmen, and the SUV strictly to convey the cash harvest.   Smoke clouds from the grenades reportedly hung in the air for a solid hour after the visitors had taken their leave.  Over twenty civilians were hit by stray shots fired at stampeding crowds by the gang, and of those, an unknown number have died.  Reports that an additional four vigilante men were cut down remain unsubstantiated for now.

Even by Nigerian standards, this was one humdinger of a robbery, to say the least.   The terrorist connection must not be ignored by Nigeria's security agencies, especially in the context of recent terror attacks and similar robberies by fundamentalist types in the north of Nigeria.
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by Nobody: 8:25pm On Nov 24, 2011
sending letters ahead of time is not an unusual tactic of nigerian armed robbers, especially when the police are either uesless cowards or active co conspirators

the incompetence of our fg, and the period(ember montghs) have emboldened armed robbers

there was a report this morning about how banks in ondo were all shut.

i also believe that soldiers are often members of armed robbery gangs.

the same ish is happening in ph from what i hear

crazy fking country
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by adamabdul: 8:28pm On Nov 24, 2011
This is boko haram.
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by muyoto: 10:09pm On Nov 24, 2011
Jakumo:

By the miracle of modern technology and the Global Village, I can share this exclusive blow-by-blow account of the Thanksgiving Day turkey shoot that went down in Shagamu, Nigeria on November 24, 2011.  

Eyewitness accounts from the scene of today's carnage describe an operation conducted with clockwork coordination and overwhelming force of military arms.  Interestingly, smoke grenades were deployed at one or more of the bank locations set upon by this large, well-equipped gang.   Under cover of the resultant curtain of dense white smoke from the grenades, demolition explosives were used to remove the entire front walls from each of the three targetted banks, exposing the bank lobbies to the street outside, whereupon technicians moved in and detonated more charges to blow vault doors off.

Along with this first-time use of smoke grenades to obscure the view of bank raids in progress, one or more long-range snipers accompanied the gang on this foray, placing shots from distances estimated at several hundred yards, which killed the driver of an approaching vigilante group vehicle, and shattered the leg of the group leader sitting beside the dead driver, to the utter disbelief of witnesses.   With the available police teams having fled the scene when the first dynamite charges went off, and the bullet-proof magic talismans worn by the vigilante leader so dramatically exposed to be absolutely ineffective, all remaining vigilante men fell back in panic, leaving the field open for the gang to load up a dedicated SUV with heavy bales of cash from the bank vaults.

With the afternoon's agenda concluded to the satisfaction of the invaders, they departed, firing continuously as they slowly drove off in three vehicles - a sedan loaded down with the bulk ammunition supply, a passenger bus to carry the large contingent of gunmen, and the SUV strictly to convey the cash harvest.   Smoke clouds from the grenades reportedly hung in the air for a solid hour after the visitors had taken their leave.  Over twenty civilians were hit by stray shots fired at stampeding crowds by the gang, and of those, an unknown number have died.  Reports that an additional four vigilante men were cut down remain unsubstantiated for now.

Even by Nigerian standards, this was one humdinger of a robbery, to say the least.   The terrorist connection must not be ignored by Nigeria's security agencies, especially in the context of recent terror attacks and similar robberies by fundamentalist types in the north of Nigeria.

I'm truly at a loss for words. . . sad sad sad
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by koruji(m): 10:33pm On Nov 24, 2011
You are ones that will destroy Nigeria with your continous protection of mediocrity.

This particular type of robbery is unprecedented in that the advance notice was sent to the security apparatus, not to an individual.

Go and read the description by Jakumo before you start talking about "nigerian armed robbers". GEJ has allowed this thing to fester so much that he is now fighting yesterday's war.  Anybody that reads that description and still comes in here to talk about a government in Abuja has no shame.

A few months ago I warned that each region must begin organizing its security apparatus for the coming "deluge".

oyb:

sending letters ahead of time is not an unusual tactic of nigerian armed robbers, especially when the police are either uesless cowards or active co conspirators

the incompetence of our fg, and the period(ember montghs) have emboldened armed robbers

there was a report this morning about how banks in ondo were all shut.

i also believe that soldiers are often members of armed robbery gangs.

the same ish is happening in ph from what i hear

crazy fking country
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by 13volts(m): 10:38pm On Nov 24, 2011
just as BH have graduated into full blown terrorist organization, you expect Nigeria armed robbers especially those in the southwest to have perfected American style robbery.
by the way do you guys think no banks exist in the north or you think all the banks in kano or kaduna don't carry enough cash that will tempt BH to cash on. or you guys think BH are fools by risking going to an unfamiliar territory just to bundle some millions. pls think twice
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by koruji(m): 10:39pm On Nov 24, 2011
@Jakumo
These are really frightening developments.

You said "The terrorist connection must not be ignored by Nigeria's security agencies". Unfortunately, there is little to speak of in terms of Nigerian security agencies.

It is begining to look to me that there is a mutiny going on in our armed forces - and those involved are using BH as a cover or have actually joined up with the group.

Each region must now take its destiny in its hands.

Jakumo:

Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by koruji(m): 10:42pm On Nov 24, 2011
They have infact carried out similar "armed robberies" in the north more than a couple of times. The last event in the north was actually first an attack on a police station, and then on a bank - whose vault was attacked with dynamites, although unsuccessfully.

The group is not just interested in the cash, but also in spreading the terror.

13volts:

just as BH have graduated into full blown terrorist organization, you expect Nigeria armed robbers especially those in the southwest to have perfected American style robbery.
by the way do you guys think no banks exist in the north or you think all the banks in kano or kaduna don't carry enough cash that will tempt BH to cash on. or you guys think BH are fools by risking  going to an unfamiliar territory just to bundle some millions. pls think twice
Re: Boko Haram Withdraws Holiday Cash In Triple Bank Raid by 13volts(m): 11:16pm On Nov 24, 2011
you guys shud look inward and stop blaming BH for everything that happened. Use of dynamite to blow bank vault or police apc Is a common practice in the southeast and southsouth. infact in Aba a year ago money were only moved with the use of helicopter and even at that they the armed robbers threaten to use rocket proppel grenade. sending notice prior to a robbery has been happening in the SE AND SS. maybe you guy are seing this kind brave commando robbers for the first time. Mind you most of the banks robbed in the north attributed to BH took place in rural areas. None has taken place in even a semI urnban area.

Ask those that witness the incidents if they saw one Single mallam all na nbati people

(1) (2) (Reply)

MKO And June 12 Celebrated Only By Yorubas / BBC Said Nigeria Wouldn't Have Contain Ebola If Not For 50 Expert Send / BUHARI On His Way Back To Nigeria. Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.