Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,813 members, 7,930,788 topics. Date: Sunday, 25 August 2024 at 08:37 AM

Ice Block Sellers Turn To Deadly Freezing Chemicals Amid Epileptic Power Supply - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Ice Block Sellers Turn To Deadly Freezing Chemicals Amid Epileptic Power Supply (2152 Views)

Mother Arrested For Attempting To Murder Her Epileptic 1 Year Old Baby In Lagos / Pastor Allegedly Raping Epileptic Girl Brought To His Church (photos) / Epileptic Lady Killed In Delta, Baby Abducted After Friend Tricked Her With Cure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ice Block Sellers Turn To Deadly Freezing Chemicals Amid Epileptic Power Supply by emma2002(m): 8:02pm On May 27
Nigeria's ice block sellers are playing with fire by embracing a dangerous solution to the country's unreliable power supply. With electricity tariffs skyrocketing, many are resorting to freezing chemicals like liquid nitrogen, salt, and water to produce ice blocks at breakneck speed. But experts warn that this desperate measure comes with a deadly price.

The use of freezing chemicals is a ticking time bomb, posing severe health risks to consumers and ice block sellers alike. Exposure to these toxic substances can cause severe burns, respiratory problems, and even death. Yet, ice block sellers like Mrs. Fausat Tijani are willing to gamble with their lives to keep their businesses afloat. "We can't rely on electricity anymore," she says with a hint of desperation. "This chemical method is faster and more reliable, but I know it's risky."

As the power supply continues to falter, ice block sellers are trapped in a dangerous cycle of survival. With electricity tariffs increasing by as much as 300%, small businesses like ice block sellers are suffocating under the weight of their expenses. "We're already struggling to survive," says Mrs. Opeyemi Mautin, a soft drink and bottled water wholesaler. "If we don't find a way to keep our products cool, we'll be out of business. But at what cost?"

The consequences of this desperate measure are already manifesting. Reports of ice block-related poisoning and injuries are on the rise, leaving families devastated and communities in fear. The once-thriving ice block industry is now a ticking time bomb, waiting to unleash a deadly catastrophe on unsuspecting consumers.

As Nigeria's power supply continues to falter, ice block sellers are forced to choose between their livelihoods and their lives. Will they find a safer solution before it's too late, or will the deadly embrace of freezing chemicals become their final goodbye?"

Source: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/05/epileptic-power-supply-lce-block-sellers-now-take-to-freezing-chemicals/

1 Share

Re: Ice Block Sellers Turn To Deadly Freezing Chemicals Amid Epileptic Power Supply by immortalcrown(m): 8:03pm On May 27
Re: Ice Block Sellers Turn To Deadly Freezing Chemicals Amid Epileptic Power Supply by STEWpid(f): 8:05pm On May 27
Chai..

Some idiots even use embalming chemicals to soak ponmo so that it will rise, big and huge!!

cHAi..

4 Likes

Re: Ice Block Sellers Turn To Deadly Freezing Chemicals Amid Epileptic Power Supply by viyon02: 8:45pm On May 27
Very simple solution is to convert their refrigerator to energy saving type and then use solar to power their refrigerator. Even if they loan capital for the business, they should be able to pay off the loan with good business management skills. A woman did just that in my area, today she is s big woman.

3 Likes

Re: Ice Block Sellers Turn To Deadly Freezing Chemicals Amid Epileptic Power Supply by Elzazzi: 9:41pm On May 27
A certain man of God said one of the presidential candidate is a jackal and shouldn't be allowed close to the sit power during the last election. Atleast we can all see what is playing out now. Go to the streets and see how the prices of goods and commodities have skyrocketed.

5 Likes

Re: Ice Block Sellers Turn To Deadly Freezing Chemicals Amid Epileptic Power Supply by Ekaette1621990: 10:35pm On May 27
Wetin Corn 🌽 heads no go do in order to develop Lagos more than the Developers.

Anyway I laugh in Swahili πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Re: Ice Block Sellers Turn To Deadly Freezing Chemicals Amid Epileptic Power Supply by nke001: 10:42pm On May 27
Liquid nitrogen is not dangerous.

2 Likes

Re: Ice Block Sellers Turn To Deadly Freezing Chemicals Amid Epileptic Power Supply by Rexymania(m): 11:01pm On May 27
I don't like using ice blocks for drinks
Re: Ice Block Sellers Turn To Deadly Freezing Chemicals Amid Epileptic Power Supply by HeatSeeker(m): 2:52am On May 28
nke001:
Liquid nitrogen is not dangerous.

Perhaps only to the handler. But the person that wrote the article is not really informed.
Re: Ice Block Sellers Turn To Deadly Freezing Chemicals Amid Epileptic Power Supply by oz4real83(m): 7:48am On May 28
viyon02:
Very simple solution is to convert their refrigerator to energy saving type and then use solar to power their refrigerator. Even if they loan capital for the business, they should be able to pay off the loan with good business management skills. A woman did just that in my area, today she is s big woman.
do you know the cost of everything you just suggested in the short run, especially for small businesses and under this present exchange rate . The greatest killer of businesses in Nigeria is the govt, they offer nothing, but demand everything from businesses. That is why I always celebrate October 1st of every year, I am not celebrating the country, I am celebrating myself for being independent of the Nigerian govt cheesy

1 Like

Re: Ice Block Sellers Turn To Deadly Freezing Chemicals Amid Epileptic Power Supply by Abolodje: 7:55am On May 28
Source?
Re: Ice Block Sellers Turn To Deadly Freezing Chemicals Amid Epileptic Power Supply by agadez007(m): 8:13am On May 28
It has never been this bad,no light,cost of electricity is over the roof and cost of fuel is very high too
Tinubu is a failure,I don’t blame him,I blame those sycophants who are licking his old wrinkled ass for peanuts
Re: Ice Block Sellers Turn To Deadly Freezing Chemicals Amid Epileptic Power Supply by michlins(m): 8:23am On May 28
viyon02:
with which money? You people are so withdrawn from reality that you give advice that doesn't make sense.

BTW, their freezing equipment is not your regular refrigerator. They use air conditioning system with other construction.

A solar system that will power such effectively is over 10ml. So how does it even make sense economically

2 Likes

Re: Ice Block Sellers Turn To Deadly Freezing Chemicals Amid Epileptic Power Supply by Mikespecialone(m): 10:06am On May 28
Nigerians will always find an hazardous alternative way to beat cost of goods.... Dey want kill us slowly
Re: Ice Block Sellers Turn To Deadly Freezing Chemicals Amid Epileptic Power Supply by TAYO124: 12:15pm On May 28
HeatSeeker:

Perhaps only to the handler. But the person that wrote the article is not really informed.

What kind of chemicals?If
none is mentioned then it is best to shut up.
Besides chemicals are usually very expensive than fuel ⛽️

Later I saw the news in tribune news, the chemicals mentioned are mainly refrigerants' which are certainly more expensive than fuel
. This is not news worthy.
Re: Ice Block Sellers Turn To Deadly Freezing Chemicals Amid Epileptic Power Supply by OmotolaDeniro(f): 12:26pm On May 28
The Hustle Is Real!
Re: Ice Block Sellers Turn To Deadly Freezing Chemicals Amid Epileptic Power Supply by delzbaba(m): 4:46pm On May 28
Any ice block seller using liquid nitrogen to freeze water has gone beyond ordinary ice block seller.

2 Likes

Re: Ice Block Sellers Turn To Deadly Freezing Chemicals Amid Epileptic Power Supply by HeatSeeker(m): 6:07pm On May 28
TAYO124:

What kind of chemicals?I'd none is mentioned then it is best to shut up.
Besides chemicals are usually very expensive than fuel ⛽️

Re: Ice Block Sellers Turn To Deadly Freezing Chemicals Amid Epileptic Power Supply by LordKushmann(m): 6:19pm On May 28
delzbaba:
Any ice block seller using liquid nitrogen to freeze water has gone beyond ordinary ice block seller.
I swear. That one done turn certified Industrial Pseudochemical engineer.

1 Like

Re: Ice Block Sellers Turn To Deadly Freezing Chemicals Amid Epileptic Power Supply by seborrhic: 8:07pm On May 28
viyon02:
Rubbish.
Doing this will set the person back at least 500k.Where will an ice block seller see that kind of money and how long will she recuperate it?For even something that will later have one fault or the other
Some of u just read or hear about one high falutin idea and just post it without giving it thought.
Thats the rave with solar,solar,solar and people have foolishly invested millions only to realise its money down the drain because within six months or less,you are already replacing one battery or more and each battery costs nothing less than 100k.
its like buying a car and every 3months you are buying a new battery

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Pretty Lady Takes Rat Poison,Commits Suicide & Leaves Suicide Note 4 Her Mum(pix / Armed Robbers Stripped Naked And Beaten Mercilessly In Rivers (photos) / 17year Old Girl Exposes Resident Pastor Who Frequently Rapes Her In Father House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.