Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,871 members, 7,969,640 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 11:26 AM

Exclusive Interview Between David Oshin And Thelma Ibeh - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Exclusive Interview Between David Oshin And Thelma Ibeh (81 Views)

CEO Akagod Films Ltd, Akachukwu Ibeh Partners Best Brain Contest On Okija Quiz / Update On ASUU Strike: Exclusive Interview With ASUU Chairman / Okorogheye Orisheneye David Gets 9 A1 In WAEC And Scores 332 In JAMB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Exclusive Interview Between David Oshin And Thelma Ibeh by Djtconceptblog: 9:37pm On May 27
Thelma is a Human Resource professional with years of experience in relevant HR positions specifically in Learning & Development. She’s an employment coach and a leader who attracts and manages talented people with an interest in building the most efficient and effective workforce.
She’s rated top HR professional in Nigeria via Linkedin and is globally certified in HR, Management and International Relations.

DAVID OSHIN: WELCOME TO THE SHOW, THELMA IBEH. IT'S GREAT TO HAVE YOU HERE. CAN YOU TELL US A BIT ABOUT ITS SIGNIFICANCE?

THELMA IBEH: Thank you, David. My first name, Thelma ibeh, means "strong will," which I think captures my personality quite well. From a young age, I've always been determined and driven. This determination has guided me through various phases of my career and life.
I studied International Relations for both my undergraduate and graduate degrees, which initially directed my career path towards diplomacy. However, my journey into human resources began when I recognized a greater need to address unemployment and educational gaps in Nigeria. My transition into HR was fueled by a desire to make a tangible difference in people's lives, especially young graduates.

DAVID OSHIN: THAT'S FASCINATING. YOU MENTIONED HAVING VAST EXPERIENCE ACROSS VARIOUS FIELDS IN HR. CAN YOU ELABORATE ON YOUR PROFESSIONAL JOURNEY?

THELMA IBEH: Certainly. Over the past decade, I’ve amassed a wealth of experience in the HR field. I’ve worked with several core HR firms, where I've had the privilege of recruiting thousands of individuals, crafting HR strategies, and supporting training and development initiatives.
My work has spanned across different sectors, giving me a holistic view of the HR landscape. My true passion lies in mentoring young professionals and helping them navigate the complexities of their early careers. I’ve always believed in empowering people to achieve their fullest potential. This passion has driven me to focus on helping Nigerian graduates enhance their skills for global recognition and placement.

DAVID OSHIN: IT'S INSPIRING TO HEAR HOW DEDICATED YOU ARE TO HELPING OTHERS. WHAT LED YOU TO PURSUE A CAREER IN HR?

THELMA IBEH: Initially, my plan was to leverage my background in International Relations to work in diplomacy, possibly at an embassy or international organization. However, after completing my first degree and returning to Nigeria, I was struck by the high unemployment rates and the lack of access to quality education and job opportunities. This disparity was disheartening and it sparked my curiosity about why this was happening.
During my second degree, I stumbled upon a course in human resources. At first, I was unfamiliar with HR as a professional field, but my curiosity drove me to learn more. I enrolled in the course and quickly realized that many of the tasks I had been informally helping with, such as recruiting and onboarding employees for my uncle’s business, were actually core HR functions. This realization was a turning point for me. I saw an opportunity to formalize my skills and make a broader impact by pursuing a career in HR.

DAVID OSHIN: THAT’S AN INCREDIBLE TRANSITION. YOU MENTIONED WORKING WITH NURSING STUDENTS INITIALLY. HOW DID THAT COME ABOUT?

THELMA IBEH: Yes, my initial work with nursing students was a strategic decision. I wanted to start with a specific and reliable group that would benefit from structured support. I partnered with a nursing school to place students in part-time jobs. This initiative served multiple purposes: it provided students with practical work experience, allowed them to earn money, and helped reduce negative behaviors like cultism and prostitution by keeping them engaged in productive activities.

I believed that empowering students to balance their education with part-time work would not only support their financial needs but also help them develop essential skills for their future careers. This early experience solidified my commitment to using HR as a tool for societal improvement.

DAVID OSHIN: IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU’VE MADE A SIGNIFICANT IMPACT. CAN YOU SHARE SOME CHALLENGES YOU'VE FACED AND HOW YOU OVERCAME THEM?

THELMA IBEH: One major challenge was convincing organizations in Nigeria of the value of HR. Many companies were unfamiliar with the role HR could play in enhancing employee welfare and overall productivity. They often viewed HR as an unnecessary expense.

To address this, I had to educate these companies about the benefits of HR practices, such as improved employee engagement, reduced turnover, and increased productivity. Additionally, I faced personal challenges.
Passion alone wasn't enough; I had to make significant sacrifices in terms of time, effort, and financial investment to build my career. There were moments of doubt and difficulty, but my determination and strong will, as my name suggests, kept me going. Today, I do not regret any of the steps I took, as they have all contributed to my growth and success.

DAVID OSHIN: YOU’VE CERTAINLY HAD A REMARKABLE JOURNEY. WHAT ADVICE DO YOU HAVE FOR YOUNG PROFESSIONALS ENTERING THE WORKFORCE?

THELMA IBEH: My key advice is to focus on developing both technical and soft skills. While technical skills are essential, what truly sets you apart are your soft skills – communication, teamwork, emotional intelligence, and problem-solving abilities.

It’s crucial to find mentors and learn from the best, even if it means working for free initially. This investment in your skills and experience will pay off in the long run. I also emphasize the importance of being patient and understanding the value of starting small. Many young professionals want to jump straight into high-paying roles, but it's essential to build a solid foundation first. Focus on learning, growing your skills, and gaining experience. The money will come later as you establish yourself and prove your worth.

DAVID OSHIN: THAT’S EXCELLENT ADVICE. BEFORE WE WRAP UP, WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT QUALITY FOR SUCCESS IN TODAY’S JOB MARKET?

THELMA IBEH : Emotional intelligence and the ability to communicate effectively are paramount. In today’s job market, it's not just about what you know, but how you interact with others. You need to understand and manage your emotions, work well in a team, and communicate clearly.

These qualities, combined with technical expertise, will make you stand out and succeed in any field. Additionally, adaptability and continuous learning are critical. The job market is constantly evolving, and being able to adapt to new challenges and continuously upgrade your skills will ensure long-term success.

DAVID OSHIN : THANK YOU, THELMA , FOR SHARING YOUR INSIGHTS AND EXPERIENCES WITH US. IT’S BEEN A PLEASURE HAVING YOU ON THE SHOW.

THELMA IBEH: Thank you, David. It’s been wonderful to be here and share my journey. I hope my story can inspire others to pursue their passions and achieve their career goals.

(1) (Reply)

How To Set Up Splunk With Multiple IIQ Sailpoint Environments With Splunk TA / Top MCA Colleges In Bangalore | CMRIT / Accelerate Your Career With .NET 7 Web API & Entity Framework Jumpstart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.