Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,844 members, 7,915,427 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 12:01 AM

I'm Always Having The Fear Of Spending Money! - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / I'm Always Having The Fear Of Spending Money! (305 Views)

Why Can He Achieve The Big Benefits Of Spending Small Money In E Commerce / Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands / Tired Of Spending Much On Website Ads! Get SEO For Better Search Positioning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm Always Having The Fear Of Spending Money! by matri6: 9:19pm On May 28
I find it hard to spend money..

I'm the type that grew up reading all these self help books about money,, so over the years I've ingrained some habit from those books, which is said to be financial wisdom, but turn out to affecting my lifestyle..

These books has made me a miser which find hard to spend on myself...

The books emphasizes on living below my means, saving, not buying things which are termed liability.

So of recent I made some money in accumulation of #12M, though in the approximate USD...

I wish I could change my lifestyle and get some gadgets,, but I feel fearful whenever I make the plans..

I derive joy watching the money there in my wallet/bank acct but I'm extremely fearful to spend it on what can make me happy and give me prestige cos I see them as liability (losses).

Anytime I bought an expensive gadget for myself, I feel guilt and unhappy just as if I lost my money on frivolities... And sometimes, I'm forced to sell it off.

I always have this negative mentality that I may become broke and it'll be shameful if I couldn't live up to the lifestyle I'm about to set for myself,,, or I'll become broke if I spend of liabilities,, so the fear of becoming broke and going to square one paralyzes my courage to spend hugely on anything.

Even with the apprx #12M I have,, I find it extremely hard to purchase any gadget or materials above 200k.

I had plan to purchase iPhone 14PM, which I'll love to acquire, but this imaginary fear always old me down from doing it.. I had plans to change my wardrobe to designer , but this imaginary fear is there..

Most times, I feel jealous of my friends having all these gadgets/materials,, sometimes I wish I was the one in possession of it ,, but I don't have the courage to buy them even though I have the money to purchase any of it at ease.

Though they say it's a psychological condition called Chrometophobia.. please how can I overcome it..

I know it's good to be economical,, but still yet I'm not happy with this lifestyle!

I'm an undergraduate, currently in my 3rd year.
Re: I'm Always Having The Fear Of Spending Money! by matri6: 9:22pm On May 28
pansophist caveadullam doctorolasdesk
Re: I'm Always Having The Fear Of Spending Money! by osmosis101(m): 9:56pm On May 28
It's normal....
Are you from ÌJÈBÚ?
Re: I'm Always Having The Fear Of Spending Money! by Ceasarceasar: 10:05pm On May 28
What if you die tomorrow?

Bro save and spend on what will not drain Ur account...
Re: I'm Always Having The Fear Of Spending Money! by matri6: 10:11pm On May 28
osmosis101:
It's normal....
Are you from ÌJÈBÚ?

No o...
Though my grand dad was from there
Re: I'm Always Having The Fear Of Spending Money! by osmosis101(m): 10:17pm On May 28
matri6:

No o...
Though my grand dad was from there

E dey ur blood bro ..
Sha spend on reasonable things...
Spend when u ought to...
Don't bargain when it comes to emergency..

1 Like

Re: I'm Always Having The Fear Of Spending Money! by CaveAdullam: 12:03am On May 29
Ironically...

One day, you will die leaving your millions behind.

Then it becomes the property of those who never broke a sweat to earn the money.

Those people will use the money to have fun and do well with it.

At the end of life, we are all losers and; at the same time winners.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: I'm Always Having The Fear Of Spending Money! by Epurogonogono(m): 3:14am On May 29
My advice is for you to ration the money into four categories; those you would spend on important needs and bills, those you would use for investment, savings and those you would spend on frivolities.

There might be more categories that might be important that I didn't mention, but the general idea is the ration the money into different categories of purpose. The percentage you ration to each category should be based on your judgement (I would advise considering needs, bills and investment first, then savings and finally frivolities), but there must be balance.

Money is a tool and must be used as such, having money and not having any use for it, is like having work tools and just storing them without any use or periodic servicing. They would eventually deteriorate and all the hardwork of acquiring them would be in vain.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Always Having The Fear Of Spending Money! by BigYash: 4:35am On May 29
Spend your money and chop your money.. When you die,next of kin go use am anyhow cux no be him or her hustle the money.. I know of one nurse like that.. She accumulated so much and mama didn’t spent the money .. Worst part she had no husband no kid.. While she was alive,person no go think say she worth 5m.. She was actually worth more than that.. Omo na him Igbo smoker brother turn next of kin after her death o.. Baba tear Corolla ,start carry Who cup girls grin
As who hustle money no gree enjoy money,another person use am ball...

1 Like

Re: I'm Always Having The Fear Of Spending Money! by TheTraveler: 4:21pm On May 29
I face this challenge too, here to learn.
Re: I'm Always Having The Fear Of Spending Money! by matri6: 5:49pm On May 29
Pansophist
Re: I'm Always Having The Fear Of Spending Money! by pansophist(m): 5:57pm On May 29
What you are passing through is called chrometophobia, its common with folks that have suffered financially alot, in other words, those who didnt grew up with financial abundance. So when the money come, they dont want to spend because they are scared of the future and ready for rainy days.

Being frugal is okay, minimalism also is adviced, and even being thrifty is allowed. But to be greedy to yourself is being your own opppressor. Its like denying yourself air to breathe.

Myself as an example, I am a minimalist, frugal by nature, and dont waste money. But that doesnt mean I do not spend heavy if needed. If I want to be a youtuber for example, then I will get the best camera equipment, a high grade laptop for edditing, etc, to the best of what I can afford.

But if for example, EreluRoz is selling a plate of Amala for 20k naira, meanwhile cococandy is selling hers for 1500 naira which is equally good, then to hell with class or standard. I will go to cococandy, and eat from there.

I wont buy a bottle of water for 2k, and I wont buy a bottle of beer for 5k ( of course generally speaking). But if I have to meet a client in a high cost location, then of course I will pay for such high price, but its a one-off. You get the point.

Spend money to give yourself experiences, memories, and make life worth living. Life is mostly lived immaterially.

Dont be greedy to yourself. Know the difference between being a minimalist/frugal and being greedy to oneself. Charity to oneself is self love.

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I'm Always Having The Fear Of Spending Money! by cococandy(f): 6:23pm On May 29
OP use your money to curate experiences for yourself

At the end of the day, that’s all you’ll have left with you on your death bed. Not your mansions, certificates, savings or investments. The memories you lived through will be all you have left. And that day can come sooner than you think. Not everyone is destined to grow old. You might be one of those who doesn’t have that destiny. What’s a loaded bank account going to do for you then?

Caveat: save some for your kids and have emergency funds for unforeseen events. But outside of your kids and possible emergencies, there’s no reason to stash money away for a future that’s not guaranteed.

Take it from someone who’s closed so many eyes one last time and zipped up uncountable body bags. There’s nothing here.

Mmkay. Love you 😘

4 Likes

Re: I'm Always Having The Fear Of Spending Money! by Yashita: 6:28pm On May 29
I'm like you, but now, my mindset has shifted. That huge savings, I would use it to set up a business, make sure the business expands and runs on a long term, use the proceeds to enjoy my life biko.

If one dies today, that's the end of it. We take this huge monies go nowhere.
Re: I'm Always Having The Fear Of Spending Money! by GloriousGbola: 8:27pm On May 29
cococandy:
OP use your money to curate experiences for yourself

At the end of the day, that’s all you’ll have left with you on your death bed. Not your mansions, certificates, savings or investments. The memories you lived through will be all you have left. And that day can come sooner than you think. Not everyone is destined to grow old. You might be one of those who doesn’t have that destiny. What’s a loaded bank account going to do for you then?

Caveat: save some for your kids and have emergency funds for unforeseen events. But outside of your kids and possible emergencies, there’s no reason to stash money away for a future that’s not guaranteed.

Take it from someone who’s closed so many eyes one last time and zipped up uncountable body bags. There’s nothing here.

Mmkay. Love you 😘

Madam undertaker
Re: I'm Always Having The Fear Of Spending Money! by GloriousGbola: 8:31pm On May 29
matri6:
I find it hard to spend money..

I'm the type that grew up reading all these self help books about money,, so over the years I've ingrained some habit from those books, which is said to be financial wisdom, but turn out to affecting my lifestyle..

These books has made me a miser which find hard to spend on myself...

The books emphasizes on living below my means, saving, not buying things which are termed liability.

So of recent I made some money in accumulation of #12M, though in the approximate USD...

I wish I could change my lifestyle and get some gadgets,, but I feel fearful whenever I make the plans..

I derive joy watching the money there in my wallet/bank acct but I'm extremely fearful to spend it on what can make me happy and give me prestige cos I see them as liability (losses).

Anytime I bought an expensive gadget for myself, I feel guilt and unhappy just as if I lost my money on frivolities... And sometimes, I'm forced to sell it off.

I always have this negative mentality that I may become broke and it'll be shameful if I couldn't live up to the lifestyle I'm about to set for myself,,, or I'll become broke if I spend of liabilities,, so the fear of becoming broke and going to square one paralyzes my courage to spend hugely on anything.

Even with the apprx #12M I have,, I find it extremely hard to purchase any gadget or materials above 200k.

I had plan to purchase iPhone 14PM, which I'll love to acquire, but this imaginary fear always old me down from doing it.. I had plans to change my wardrobe to designer , but this imaginary fear is there..

Most times, I feel jealous of my friends having all these gadgets/materials,, sometimes I wish I was the one in possession of it ,, but I don't have the courage to buy them even though I have the money to purchase any of it at ease.

Though they say it's a psychological condition called Chrometophobia.. please how can I overcome it..

I know it's good to be economical,, but still yet I'm not happy with this lifestyle!

I'm an undergraduate, currently in my 3rd year.

Money is useful for what you can do with it and for how it can make your life easy. Do not make money for the sake of money but for what you can do with it.
Re: I'm Always Having The Fear Of Spending Money! by cococandy(f): 8:53pm On May 29
GloriousGbola:

Madam undertaker

Those ones na iron men dem be

(1) (Reply)

Where To Advertise In Nigeria / CV or Business Plan / Send Cheap Bulksms @ #1.50/sms All Networks + Awoof Etisalat N Mtn Data

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.