Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,226 members, 7,964,005 topics. Date: Wednesday, 02 October 2024 at 05:07 AM

Nigeria’s Name Should Have Been Changed Before The National Anthem - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Name Should Have Been Changed Before The National Anthem (174 Views)

Tinubu's Campaign Office Has Been Changed To Atiku's Campaign Office / United African Republic (UAR): A Proposal To Change Nigeria's Name / HURIWA: Change Nigeria's Name From What Flora Shaw, Lugard's Girlfriend Gave It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria’s Name Should Have Been Changed Before The National Anthem by kingsways: 8:51am On May 29
Changing the national anthem without changing the name is like merely scratching the surface of a problem.

The name Nigeria is said to have been coined by Lord Luggard’s girlfriend.

Sure we shouldn’t be singing “Nigeria We Hail Thee” when the name Nigeria is a mere coinage by some colonial master’s girlfriend, possibly after some unholy activities at night

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Name Should Have Been Changed Before The National Anthem by Quintessence44: 8:56am On May 29
kingsways:
Changing the national anthem without changing the name is like merely scratching the surface of a problem.

Sure we shouldn’t be singing “Nigeria We Hail Thee” when the name Nigeria is a mere coinage by some colonial master’s girlfriend, possibly after some unholy activities at night

I would have agreed with you, but I like the name Nigeria.

It just sounds grand.

Triumphant.

Intimidating.

And beautiful.
Re: Nigeria’s Name Should Have Been Changed Before The National Anthem by condensedmilk: 8:59am On May 29
Quintessence44:

I would have agreed with you, but I like the name Nigeria.

It just sounds grand.

Triumphant.

Intimidating.

And beautiful.

Ogogoro comment
Re: Nigeria’s Name Should Have Been Changed Before The National Anthem by Quintessence44: 9:01am On May 29
condensedmilk:

Ogogoro comment

You sound intolerant.

We can’t all have the same taste.
Re: Nigeria’s Name Should Have Been Changed Before The National Anthem by condensedmilk: 9:03am On May 29
Quintessence44:

You sound intolerant.

We can’t all have the same taste.

Na your type go see white 🤍 callam red ♥️
Re: Nigeria’s Name Should Have Been Changed Before The National Anthem by kestolove95(m): 9:06am On May 29
Nigeria is a good name, they should change the flag and the passport color.. Green has bin associated with badluck, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Sudan, Ghana their passport color green..
Re: Nigeria’s Name Should Have Been Changed Before The National Anthem by ShenTeh(m): 9:07am On May 29
kingsways:

I agree with you 100%

I maintain that it is gerontocratic nostalgia that our leaders are suffering from. They miss the national anthem that they sang as children and want to use their political power to bring us to their past.

Changing Nigeria's name to something more indigenous would have been a better nationalist move.

These are consequences if electing aged people into power.
Re: Nigeria’s Name Should Have Been Changed Before The National Anthem by Quintessence44: 9:10am On May 29
ShenTeh:

I agree with you 100%

I maintain that it is gerontocratic nostalgia that our leaders are suffering from. They miss the national anthem that they sang as children and want to use their political power to bring us to their past.

Changing Nigeria's name to something more indigenous would have been a better nationalist move.

These are consequences if electing aged people into power.

The problem starts when you come to deciding what that indigenous name will be.

You know how we are.

I don’t need to explain.

(1) (Reply)

National Anthem: Leaders Lack Innovative Thinking, Regressive & Sycophantic / SA Election: Coalition Government Is Inevitable / Labour Party Renames Obidient Directorate After Backlash From Obi, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.