Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,787 members, 7,875,961 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 05:18 AM

Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree (30882 Views)

17-Year-Old Student Stabs Teacher To Death In Plateau State (Photo) / 12-Year-Old Student Impregnated By Katsina Vice Principal Puts To Bed / Adewole Atere, FUOYE Lecturer, Impregnates 16-Year-Old Student (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree by fatytoy333(m): 9:48pm On May 29
An 85-year-old student who is working towards her fourth university degree says she "can't just sit around".

Lucille Terry from Cirencester completed her first degree, in pharmacy, at the University of Manchester in 1962.

She will finish her fourth degree, her third with The Open University, when she is in her nineties.

Ms Terry was honoured in a ceremony at her parish church on Monday.

Ms Terry, who worked as a teacher, is currently studying for a degree in religious studies, philosophy and ethics.

The Siddington Park resident also has degrees in humanities, psychology and humanities with religious studies, and did a science foundation course at The Open University in 1972, prior to studying for her teaching certificate.

Ms Terry decided that she did not want to "just do crossword puzzles" during her retirement.

"I can't just sit around, do nothing and watch television all the time," she said.

"My daughter asked me a few weeks ago, 'What do you really like to do?'.

"I like studying. I do enjoy it, it's not a hardship for me."

Ms Terry said people keep assuming she is "brainy" because she is studying for her fourth degree.

"I'm not clever," she said.

"I wasn't brilliant at school, I did A-levels but I didn't get A*s. I was just middle of the road.

"I think one or two of my Open University courses I got first class honours.

"You don't have to be brilliant to do it."

On 20 May, Ms Terry was presented with a framed letter in recognition of her dedication to studying and her amazing achievements by the Reverend Canon Graham and the Reverend Matt Frost.

Ian Pickup, the pro-vice chancellor of The Open University, wrote in his letter to Ms Terry: "Your pursuit of knowledge serves as a beacon of hope and encouragement to individuals of all ages, demonstrating that with dedication and perseverance, anything is possible."

Ms Terry, who is studying for her degree remotely, said she "couldn't believe" her presentation, but hopes she inspires others close to her in age.

"I'm so pleased with it, and the more I can do to encourage older people to do something with their lives, something that challenges the brain, the better.

"If I have a day when I'm not studying, on the day that I do study I feel better, and that's something people aren't aware of.

"It can really do good for their brain."

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/ckkk0vpzrnvo.amp

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree by immortalcrown(m): 9:49pm On May 29
Okay.

No retirement until life ends.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree by muyico(m): 9:50pm On May 29
Good 4 her!

1 Like

Re: Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree by LordIsaac(m): 11:39pm On May 29
“You don’t have to be brilliant (to get )A’s!”😊

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree by ROTTWEILER007: 11:55am On May 30
I no even finish my Msc for young age. This one wan kill herself at old age. But God please place me in a country where I would not be thinking of what to do to make money when am supposed to be schooling or looking for what to eat when am supposed to be researching.

Nigeria must frustrate your soul while schooling. You fit no even finish like myself

12 Likes

Re: Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree by Hezzyluv: 11:56am On May 30
grin
Re: Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree by victorazy(m): 11:56am On May 30
Ok
Re: Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree by Antoeni(m): 11:56am On May 30
Madam Abeg Use The Money Help Someone

2 Likes

Re: Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree by blueghost(m): 11:56am On May 30
shocked
Impressive maybe is her own way of avoiding being lonely and killing boredom

15 Likes

Re: Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree by Dhamio(m): 11:56am On May 30
Good
Re: Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree by Mindlog: 11:56am On May 30
She indeed loves studying. wink

1 Like

Re: Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree by gasparpisciotta: 11:57am On May 30
“I can’t just sit around”

Very key can do spirit 💪💯.
That is what many are lacking today.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree by tishbite42: 11:57am On May 30
I know sey e go be oyibo

1 Like

Re: Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree by DeathToSimps: 11:57am On May 30
She's very stupid

Use your old age to tend to your grandchildren instead.

Oyibo people sef.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree by Hndrrxxx(m): 11:58am On May 30
Rrr
Re: Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree by PepeXKermit: 11:59am On May 30
Onye Ara. She no go stay for house

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree by Magnumproperty: 12:00pm On May 30
Waooo. So they've been operating Open University for abroad since.

Mama no wan gree for academics ooo.
Re: Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree by Holluwhakemmy(f): 12:01pm On May 30
Igi Iwe Madam
Re: Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree by OboOlora(f): 12:01pm On May 30
RoleModel!
Meanwhile MrCork is in London washing old white people's a55 in care homes for £11/hr cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree by GreenxGreen: 12:03pm On May 30
angry
Finally 😁😁😁
Re: Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree by phorget(m): 12:03pm On May 30
Waste of resources, what will she do with the papers?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree by Eriokanmi: 12:04pm On May 30
She woke up late. Better be awake than never. Congratulations!
Re: Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree by tefishy(m): 12:06pm On May 30
grin
I bet she will spend most of her hours in lecture sleeping

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree by emmabest2000(m): 12:08pm On May 30
Everyone has their own time-line

Obama retired at 55
Trump started being president at 70
Different time zone

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree by AngelicBeing: 12:13pm On May 30
Eriokanmi:
She woke up late. Better be awake than never. Congratulations!
If you ask me, it is very good of her, her brain , kidney, liver , every organ in her body & body cells will be active and it might probably elongate her life, readers are leaders cheesy

Albert Einstein says that when you stop learning, you start dying

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree by Skillsnigeria: 12:13pm On May 30
Okay
Re: Lucille Terry: The 85-Year-Old Student Doing Her Fourth Degree by Eriokanmi: 12:14pm On May 30
AngelicBeing:
If you ask me, it is very good of her, her brain & body cells will be active and it might probably elongate her life, readers are leaders cheesy
You may be right

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

ABUAD Will Start Flogging Male And Female Students Caught Holding Hands / ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement / The University Of Calabar In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.